Best ever tactics in a space battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ever tactics in a space battle

I guess the title says it all. What do you think are the greatest tactics/maneuvers in a space battle? Here are some of my favourites:

(Star Trek TNG) The Picard Maneuver:
    Spoiler:
    Picard faces a powerful vessel (Ferengi) in a damaged, obsolescent Starship. Warping to a nearby position, they are tricked in to thinking there are 2 vessels. The moment of panic allows the Picards ship (USS Constellation) to deal the killing blow to the enemy vessel. I always thought this was one of the greatest "spur of the moment" tactics in a space battle. It's just a shame that this was written only as a reference in duologue, I would've loved to see it!

(Babylon 5: In The Beginning) Starkiller:
    Spoiler:
    The EAS Lexington is badly damaged by the Minbari flagship "black star" - They have no hope of defeating the Minbari, no chance to escape and the Minbari don't answer distress signals. Well they do, by blowing up the ship in question. Lt.Cdr Sheridan Orders the crew to mine nearby asteroids with their remaining tactical nukes and uses a distress signal to lure the Minbari in to a trap. "See you in Hell!" What can I say, I love spur of the moment stuff

(Battlestar Galactica) The Adama Maneuver: Need I say more?

And many more
    The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Easy one!

From the movie 'Serenity'.

The ship needs to get down to the planet. Only problem is that there is something like 100 enemy ships in their way waiting to intercept them when they come close enough. The crew obviously know what will be waiting for them, so they stir up trouble with the 'Reavers'. Get them to follow them, go to the planet, the enemy ships converge on the single little ship. Then suddenly all these 'Reaver' ships that were chasing them arrive & the 2 fleets have no choice but to do battle with each other. Allowing them & their little ship the opportunity to get down to the planet's surface.

Genius strategy!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
      Easy one!

From the movie 'Serenity'.

The ship needs to get down to the planet. Only problem is that there is something like 100 enemy ships in their way waiting to intercept them when they come close enough. The crew obviously know what will be waiting for them, so they stir up trouble with the 'Reavers'. Get them to follow them, go to the planet, the enemy ships converge on the single little ship. Then suddenly all these 'Reaver' ships that were chasing them arrive & the 2 fleets have no choice but to do battle with each other. Allowing them & their little ship the opportunity to get down to the planet's surface.

Genius strategy!
      I agree that was the best tactic
      Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
      Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
      new enemy of the Ori
      At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

yup I concur, it was a good movie too!
        The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total b*stard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Comment

By Vice Admiral Whitcomb commanding the Covenant flagship Ascendant Justice in Halo First Strike
          Spoiler:
          With only one working offensive weapon, he baits hundreds of Covenant ships into crashing into the command-and-control-center Unyielding Hierophant (also a Covenant vessel) that's rigged to explode. Almost the entire covenant invasion force is destroyed in the blast.
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Babylon 5.
            Just jumping past the entire earth force fleet and activating the shadow engineered telepaths to interrupt the systems of said fleet.

And I guess on the bad side... Centari just chucking astroides at the Narn home world with Mass Drivers. It seems like such a simple way to destroy a world. Much cheaper then building a death star.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

The Adama Maneuver. Everything else is a distant second.

And yes, the second place would have to go to the Serenity tactic.

Both of those are jump-out-of-your-seat-and-cheer worthy.

Comment

A brilliant - or rather dumb - tactic was performed by (no surprise) Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back when he flew the Falcon into an asteroid field to escape from Vader and the Imperial fleet. It might have been crazy, but it worked. At least one Imperial Star Destroyer was taken out by the asteroid field.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                  A brilliant - or rather dumb - tactic was performed by (no surprise) Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back when he flew the Falcon into an asteroid field to escape from Vader and the Imperial fleet. It might have been crazy, but it worked. At least one Imperial Star Destroyer was taken out by the asteroid field.
                  Hah, yes, awsome- another one would be the floating-away-with-the-garbage tactic.

Comment

landing your "pimped" yt-1300 on the back of the tracking radar dish to hide.
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

As bad as Attack of the Clones is the scene where Obi Wan opens the spare part containers to intercept Jango's homing missile and using the explosion as cover to go and hide on a big asteroid is a good space battle tactic.
                      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

The way Pegasus and Galactica took out the Cylon ressurection ship was pretty clever.

They baited away the Cylon fighter screen of the attending baseships by making it look like some of their civillian ships were vulnerable to attack. Then they jumped in close, where the battlestars had a distinct advantage over their cylon counterparts, wrecked two baseships, the ressurection ship, and escaped with minimal damage.

Comment

The Adama Maneuver and the Serenity one from the movie tie as best imo
                          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

The best tactics are clearly those of the Earth ships in most Stargate episodes - to not move at all while the bad guys pummel the shields.

That worked so well in Camelot.

Comment

The Adama one from Exodus prt 2. Too awesome for words.

And also the fact that they used to a group of raptors to make the cylons think that it was the Galactica on the radar, genius.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X