This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origon

In the first episode of SG-1 season 2 (The Serpant's Lair) Daniel stats that he realiszed he was close enough to Earth to use the Point of Origon.

This made me think.

How large is the area this in which this would work? Is it the solar system?

Also would a gate work in hyper space (if the location was right)?

Also if an active gate is removed from the PoO area or into hyperspace would it remain active? I think it won't, but I could be wrong.

Icedragon

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
    It's the area where the six co-ordinates cross. Usually an area the size of a star around the planet.

Also would a gate work in hyper space (if the location was right)? ?
    You wouldn't be able to keep the gate in the right place long enough to dial out. Hyperspeed is far too fast.

Also if an active gate is removed from the PoO area or into hyperspace would it remain active? I think it won't, but I could be wrong.
    This has never been tested but I think it would automaticly shut down as otherwise the gate would think anything going to that end of the stargate would be going to the wrong place or nowhere.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

In the first episode of SG-1 season 2 (The Serpant's Lair) Daniel stats that he realiszed he was close enough to Earth to use the Point of Origon.

This made me think.

They've never set any limits to a Point of Origins volume.

Also would a gate work in hyper space (if the location was right)?
      I don't think so. Say, for arguments sake, that a PoO is about the same size as our solar system (about 100 AU). If you were traveling in the Daedalus you would fly through the solar system in ~1/125,000th of a second. By the time you dialed the gate, you would have already passed the PoO volume.

No, it would remain active. We saw this in the episode Redemption Pt. II where Anubis was keeping the gate on Earth open in order to blow it (and most of Colorado) up. In that episode, they strapped the active gate to an F-302 and flew it through a hyperspace window in order to get it far away from Earth.

However, since that active gate was still within our solar system, it stayed active. It's unknown whether or not it would remain active if the gate had left our solar system.

The way I understand it, a Point of Origin is basically a volume of space where an outgoing wormhole from another planet will 'snap' to a destination gate.
      The idea is that an address is a large volume of space (perhaps the size of a solar system) and if the destination gate is inside that volume, the wormhole will snap to it's location, like an electric charge jumping between to conductive materials. If the gate isn't inside that volume, then the wormhole can't connect.

The thing is, we don't know how large that volume is. It could the size of a solar system, or it could be a lightyear or two. Like I said, they've never given any limits to how far a gate can be outside it's original PoO and still connect.

Originally posted by .jolinar.
      It's the area where the six co-ordinates cross. Usually an area the size of a star around the planet.
      I'm sorry, but that whole 6 coordinates converging on a single point is bunk. The symbols themselves cannot represent real constellations, simply because constellations are two dimensional representations of three dimensional objects.
      Also, all of the stars that make up those constellations are within 1500 light years of Earth, which means all of the Stargates in our galaxy would have to fall within 1500 light years of Earth, and we know that isn't true.

The 'official' coordinate system described by Daniel Jackson in the movie and series is bunk. An astronomy class will teach you this.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I thought one Astronomical unit was the equivalent of the diameter of our solar system?
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Nope, 1 AU is the average distance from the Earth to the Sun, about 150 million kilometers.

Comment

One way to find out, is are there any systems with more than one gate on?? If so then it is less than a system for that 'area'.

If only one is in each system, that shows mostly that the area is a full system wide.

Comment

I think, so long as you can set the points in space, the gate will work- 'cept in hyperspace of course.
              sigpic
              Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
              |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                I thought one Astronomical unit was the equivalent of the diameter of our solar system?
                Radius of Earth's orbit, not diameter.

And the gate network would have to allow the POO to be at least 2 AUs across, since the planet (and therefore the gate itself) constantly changes position as it orbits its primary star. What about non-Earth worlds? What if their orbits are larger or smaller?

No, it would remain active. We saw this in the episode Redemption Pt. II where Anubis was keeping the gate on Earth open in order to blow it (and most of Colorado) up. In that episode, they strapped the active gate to an F-302 and flew it through a hyperspace window in order to get it far away from Earth.
                Chances are that the gate disconnected from the Stargate network as soon as it entered hyperspace (which makes sense, since the gate itself is literally no longer in the same universe as the gate network) and it then discharged all the excess energy that Anubis had force-fed it.
                sigpic
                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                  the gate network would have to allow the POO to be at least 2 AUs across, since the planet (and therefore the gate itself) constantly changes position as it orbits its primary star. What about non-Earth worlds? What if their orbits are larger or smaller?
                  That's why I think the PoO volume is at least the size of the solar system, and probably a light year or two. With a minimum volume of 100 AU, you could stick a gate on any of the planets in our solar system and the PoO would still work.

Chances are that the gate disconnected from the Stargate network as soon as it entered hyperspace (which makes sense, since the gate itself is literally no longer in the same universe as the gate network) and it then discharged all the excess energy that Anubis had force-fed it.
                  There's no evidence to support that claim. In fact there's evidence to the contrary, since they had a count down to when the gate would overload and explode, which coincided with it exploding 3 million miles from Earth. Had the gate shut down during it's brief trip through hyperspace, it shouldn't have exploded right when they predicted.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                    There's no evidence to support that claim. In fact there's evidence to the contrary, since they had a count down to when the gate would overload and explode, which coincided with it exploding 3 million miles from Earth. Had the gate shut down during it's brief trip through hyperspace, it shouldn't have exploded right when they predicted.
                    They were only able to get it into hyperspace for a fraction of a second, just enough to get it that far away. Basically, the gate winked out of our universe and then winked back in, 3 million miles away. Perhaps that was faster than the gate could unload the energy.

Either way, I don't think that an active Stargate can transmit matter when either end of the connection is literally outside our universe.
                    sigpic

Comment

They were only able to get it into hyperspace for a fraction of a second, just enough to get it that far away.
                      Had they left the PoO volume - traveled more than 100 AU or a light year - you might have a point.

Basically, the gate winked out of our universe and then winked back in, 3 million miles away.
                      Hyperspace is part of this universe. I don't know if you realized this or not, but the definition of 'universe' covers everything. Hyperspace is part of everything, therefore is part of the universe. Subspace is also part of the universe.

No matter how hard you try, you can never leave our universe. All that mumbo-jumbo scifi writers come up with is bunk. The definition of universe changes in order to encompass everything.

Perhaps that was faster than the gate could unload the energy.
                      I don't think you're catching my drift here. The SGC figured out that the gate, being constantly supplied with energy from Anubis' toys, would detonate at a specific time. That means that the gate has a maximum capacity, and Anubis' toy was filling that capacity. If the gate had shut down while in hyperspace, it would have never gone over it's capacity and blown up; it would have just been at capacity.

Either way, I don't think that an active Stargate can transmit matter when either end of the connection is literally outside our universe.
                      The wormhole travels through subspace. We've seen people using subspace communications while traveling through hyperspace, so I don't understand why you're coming to this conclusion. If you can send data via subspace while traveling through hyperspace, then you should be able to use the gate as well.

It all comes down to whether or not the gate will shut down if it leaves it's PoO volume.

Comment

The wormhole travels through subspace. We've seen people using subspace communications while traveling through hyperspace, so I don't understand why you're coming to this conclusion. If you can send data via subspace while traveling through hyperspace, then you should be able to use the gate as well.
                        I was referring to the idea that a ship in hyperspace could use a Stargate to travel to a gate in the regular universe.

It all comes down to whether or not the gate will shut down if it leaves it's PoO volume.
                        True, which is something I wholly agree on.
                        sigpic

Comment

I was referring to the idea that a ship in hyperspace could use a Stargate to travel to a gate in the regular universe.
                          I understand your point, but you have to remember that hyperspace is part of the 'regular universe', so it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I think in the stargate Universe those are one in the same. In the episode.... yeaa I'm bad with names. The episode with Rodneys sister. In this episode, while in "subspace communication" with Sam, his sister says "So wait, subspace is real?" Carter responds with "Your flying in it". The scene took place aboard Daedalus making its way to the Pegasus galaxy. I'm not totally sure how to interpret it, but she makes it sound as if they are one in the same.
                            www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                              I think in the stargate Universe those are one in the same. In the episode.... yeaa I'm bad with names. The episode with Rodneys sister. In this episode, while in "subspace communication" with Sam, his sister says "So wait, subspace is real?" Carter responds with "Your flying in it". The scene took place aboard Daedalus making its way to the Pegasus galaxy. I'm not totally sure how to interpret it, but she makes it sound as if they are one in the same.
                              Hyperspace is just the name of a specific layer of subspace which ships can travel in using hyperdrives. The different subspace layers/dimensions have different laws of physics and thus you can utillise them for different tasks.

Comment

Working...
                              X