X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnivale appreciation thread

taken from www.hbo.com/carnivale/

The final battle between Good and Evil is looming, and Ben Hawkins and Brother Justin are on a collision course that could determine the fate of the world. Carniv?*le follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on Ben Hawkins, a mysterious 18-year-old fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and Brother Justin, the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

without saying too much: I think this show has one of the most powerful build ups I've ever seen. The episodes crawl towards their ending but boy, how you get sucked into the intrigues of carnivale!

so are there sci-fi'ers amongst you who also love Carnivale?
    Last edited by Hjalmar; 06 June 2007, 12:52 PM. Reason: huge typo
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total b*stard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Carnivale is one of the loveliest shows I've ever seen. I enjoyed it but I hate how it ended (didn't end?). The sudden cut off was really disappointing. I hope it gets finished somehow
    Dr. Orpheus: "But Hank, no...Hank is quite upset! Rage, I can hear his rage! He calls you a crumb bum....or maybe a crampon. It's hard to hear him." - Venture Bros., 2x01 Powerless in the Face of Death

Comment

Carnivale is one of my favorite all time shows. I have both Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD. It's got great characters, an amazing plot and it's really beautiful to watch. I was devastated when it was cancelled.

Comment

I'm currently watching this show show through for the first time Wednsday nights on the History Channel, and I think it's brilliant. I personally love the meandering pace that it's got. Season one finale airs tonight! And it's written by Ronald D. Moore, so it should be a good one.

Comment

I really enjoyed watching this show while it was on. Like a lot of others, I was really upset with how it was cancelled. I wish we could have gotten more of a resolution to things.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            I really enjoyed watching this show while it was on. Like a lot of others, I was really upset with how it was cancelled. I wish we could have gotten more of a resolution to things.
            Is it a good non-resolution, or a bad non-resolution? Cause I don't mind non-resolutions.....you know, so long as they're good.....

Please don't spoil though.

Comment

The series finale does leave some things unanswered(it was supposed to be a 6 season show, I think??) But overall, I can live with how things ended. I can imagine how things would continue for everyone.

Who's everyone's favorite character? I really like Jonesy, Samson, Ben, Rita Sue, and Libby.
              Clancy Brown is incredible as Brother Justin as is Amy Matigan as Iris.

The whole look and feel of the show seems so authentic. I have a thing for the 1930's anyway.....love the music, the clothes, the cars etc. When I'm watching it, I feel like I'm there in that era. It's so beautifully done.

And I love the whole mystical, good vs evil theme.

Wow, I'm getting all nostalgic for Carnivale now. Time to rewatch it.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                The series finale does leave some things unanswered(it was supposed to be a 6 season show, I think??) But overall, I can live with how things ended. I can imagine how things would continue for everyone.

Who's everyone's favorite character? I really like Jonesy, Samson, Ben, Rita Sue, and Libby.
                Clancy Brown is incredible as Brother Justin as is Amy Matigan as Iris.

The whole look and feel of the show seems so authentic. I have a thing for the 1930's anyway.....love the music, the clothes, the cars etc. When I'm watching it, I feel like I'm there in that era. It's so beautifully done.

And I love the whole mystical, good vs evil theme.

Wow, I'm getting all nostalgic for Carnivale now. Time to rewatch it.
                I love being able to imagine how a show would continue.

And I absolutely agree on Clancy Brown and Amy Madigan. Clancy Brown especially is fantastic actor- it actually took me about six episodes before I realized where he was familar from (Enterprise's "Desert Crossing"). And the overall level of acting on this show is just amazing, it's just had me hooked from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                X