Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matter can only go one way through a Stargate but both ways through the rings. Huh???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matter can only go one way through a Stargate but both ways through the rings. Huh???

Theres no real answer, I mean when you make something like the Stargate up the answer will always be "because subspace bla bla bla" But why the heck can Matter travel both ways through the rings but only one way through the Stargate?

P.S. The Call Forwarding Episode of Stargate was completely awful until I heard the directors commentary and the fact that it was supposed to be two gates joined in a weird way but the budget prevented it from being built.

Originally posted by startrek View Post
    " But why the heck can Matter travel both ways through the rings but only one way through the Stargate?
    Because they're not the same thing?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Matter can only go one way through a wormhole. Rings don't use wormholes.
      Its like asking how come I can't walk through my window the same way I walk through a door. Because there is glass in it, doors don't use glass.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the call forwarding? I thought it was a nice idea, and they often compare the Stargate to a telephone anyway. Hold the energy pattern without reintegrating it, then redial and pass it on to the next gate.
      Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Stargates are limited by the laws of wormhole physics in SG which dictates that wormholes are only one way.

Rings don't use wormholes, they transmit the matter stream a short distance between the sets of rings through some other method, possibly some sort of subspace transmission or just in an energy beam.

Thats why matter can only go one way through a Stargate but objects can be transported both ways with rings.

Rings are only a short-distance transportation method, Stargates go over long distances.

In other words, Rings are a Stanna stairlift, Stargates are Airbus A380s.

Comment

the answer will always be "because subspace bla bla bla"
          There you go

Comment

remind me, in one transport of the rings, things can go from point A to B and from point B to A?
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that rings aren't constantly open gateways. You hit a ring up and whatever's in the circles on both ends will switch places.

Think of rings as revolving doors.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                Stargates are limited by the laws of wormhole physics in SG which dictates that wormholes are only one way.

Rings don't use wormholes, they transmit the matter stream a short distance between the sets of rings through some other method, possibly some sort of subspace transmission or just in an energy beam.
                I would go with the subspae transmission thing... Go back to when we were first intriduced to the Tolan, and the beams that the Rings use looks an aweful lot like that beam that the Tolan transmitter sent out to the Nox homeworld..

Comment

Accually it's the Stargate wormhole that can't be traveled through bothways and the Ring matter stream that can't be traveled both ways.
                  After the wormhole shuts down/matter stream finishes you can then dial/activate the Stargate/Rings and go the other way.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
                    Matter can only go one way through a wormhole. Rings don't use wormholes.
                    Its like asking how come I can't walk through my window the same way I walk through a door. Because there is glass in it, doors don't use glass.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the call forwarding? I thought it was a nice idea, and they often compare the Stargate to a telephone anyway. Hold the energy pattern without reintegrating it, then redial and pass it on to the next gate.
                    I have a glass door. And if the gate could call forward why wouldn't it just return people to the world they called from rather than smashing them against an Iris.

Comment

I have a glass door. And if the gate could call forward why wouldn't it just return people to the world they called from rather than smashing them against an Iris.
                      Because the gate has no way of knowing that the Iris is there. As long as the wormhole activates the gate assumes that the way is clear. There is no mechanism for making sure that there are no obstructions just infront of the event horizon.

Comment

Lol, yes I have some glass doors too, but you know what I mean Rings don't use wormholes, and thats what enforces the one way travel.

The gate isn't programmed for call forwarding, nor would it know when there is an iris unless it was programmed specifically for it. The call forwarding thats been used in the show was created by Anubis (in prototype) and McKay (in the intergalactic bridge eps).

It is interesting though, because they could create a system where the gate sends travelers back without killing them if the correct IDC isn't received. I guess they like letting their enemies die on the Iris though
                        Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

There different pieces of tech, like asking why can people talk down both ends of a phone at once but only one person can talk at a time on a walky talky.

Comment

reguarding the rings, perhaps the both ways transit is a built in safety feature? I mean how bad would it suck to ring into a secret guauld base only to find a tree branch had falled into the exact spot you were coming in and now you had a severed log going through your kidneys?
                            "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                              There different pieces of tech, like asking why can people talk down both ends of a phone at once but only one person can talk at a time on a walky talky.
                              Actually, that analogy might go somewhere in explaining this, even though I think it was meant with a little sarcasm...
                              Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                              Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X