This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quantum Slipstream Drives and Hyperdrives

Ok just watch the episode of Star Trek Voyager where they used the slipstream drive .Isn't that like a Hyper drive system it puts a ship inside a subspace or quantum space making it move faster than subspace .The Borg used this in there ships .It stil brings up the question which is faster .They used Slipstreams on Andromeda also .

Who's ships are faster Federation ,StarGate Command ,Battlestar Galactica ,or HighGuard ships .

Slipstream is fast for Star Trek, but it still pales in comparison to Hyperdrives. It was going to take 3 months to travel a few tens of thousands of lightyears (I think it was 50000, maybe), while the Deady can cross 3000000 ly in less than 3 weeks.

In Enterprise, they also had a "Vortex" drive that had them travelling 50 ly in 10 hours (VERY rough estimate), which, although fast, is still slower than hyperdrives.

Comment

Hyperdrives are faster plain and simple.
      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn View Post
        Hyperdrives are faster plain and simple.
        depending on how much power you can give them

Comment

But BSG and Andromeda ships own stargate ships

in BSG there jumps seem instant

Comment

Originally posted by HAL View Post
            But BSG and Andromeda ships own stargate ships

in BSG there jumps seem instant
            In BSG, the distance a ship can travel in a jump is only dependent on computer power. As far as I could tell anyway.

So, BSG jump drives are the best. Just get a really good computer!
            Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Yeah, and don't you have to calculate each jump? I don't know, I'd rather take the slower route and press a button instead of spending a minimum of 33 minutes (?) to calculate an instant jump.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Yeah, and don't you have to calculate each jump? I don't know, I'd rather take the slower route and press a button instead of spending a minimum of 33 minutes (?) to calculate an instant jump.
                Its not 33 mins. It took the Cylons to find the fleet in 33 mins., so that is why they had to jump every 33 mins.

Comment

Well, I haven't seen the series that much.

So how long does a calculation usually take?

Comment

Well, I haven't seen the series that much.

So how long does a calculation usually take?
                    About a few mins.

Comment

Still not as good as a few seconds.

Comment

Still not as good as a few seconds.
                        No, it would about the same time to get to point a to point b with the two. It takes a fews sec. to press a botton the enter hyperspace and then a fews to mins./hours/days/weeks. Depending on how far point a is from point b. With Hyperdrives powered along with a ZPM it takes about 4 days to cross between the MW and the PG. But with Slipstream Drives like on Andromeda about a fews mins. or hours. to get in between two galaxies(if memory serves correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post
                          In BSG, the distance a ship can travel in a jump is only dependent on computer power. As far as I could tell anyway.

So, BSG jump drives are the best. Just get a really good computer!
                          Then the Colonials should install Macs on their ships.
                          Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuyverThis View Post
                            The Borg used this in there ships.
                            'fraid not, the borg use transwarp conduits, it's totally different how that works.
                            "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Slipstream travel in the Andromeda universe depends on two things, the skill of the pilot & how frequent the slip route is used.
                              sigpic
                              "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                              Signature made by RJB

Comment

Working...
                              X