The EM field generator on M7G-677?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EM field generator on M7G-677?

Will we ever find out who invented it? There doesn't seem to be many if any cultues in Pegasus who could have done it. We know the Ancients didn't set it up because McKay stated that it was only built 500 years ago and the Asurans wouldn't build it because they don't care.

Plus, it had to have been someone who knew there was a ZPM on the planet (Old Weir's list and all).

Vala,

Mckay also said the ZPM was altered, or custom built, to better serve the EM field generator, and wouldn't work well for Atlantis. So it was someone sufficiently advanced to alter the composition of a ZPM, or even create one.

Perhaps another Ancient, like Merlin, who descended to help those people.

Comment

Are you sure about that? I thought it was just almost-depleted so it'll only serve Atlantis for a few minutes if the shield was up, or something.

Comment

I'm positive that the ZPM was special, besides being nearly depleted.

[EDIT]:

From the transcript:

McKAY: Doctor Weir. The bad news is it looks like the device harnesses M7G-677's unique electromagnetic field. Probably wouldn't work for us.

But he does go on to say that the ZPM is nearly depleted and would only give full shield strength for a few hours.
        Last edited by theStormWeaver; 22 May 2007, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver View Post
          I'm positive that the ZPM was special, besides being nearly depleted.

[EDIT]:

From the transcript:

McKAY: Doctor Weir. The bad news is it looks like the device harnesses M7G-677's unique electromagnetic field. Probably wouldn't work for us.

But he does go on to say that the ZPM is nearly depleted and would only give full shield strength for a few hours.
          From the quote it is very clear that the ZPM isnt special but the magnetic field of the planet is. The ZPM is a regular but almost depleted ZPM.

Comment

I think the descended Ancient hypothesis works. And if another culture did build the device, it may have been wiped out by the Wraith already.
            Could there be a similiar device in Atlantis?
            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
            Caboose: They could be worse?
            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

It sounds like the planet has a unique electromagnetic field and an ancient used the device to boost its power and protect the villages. The fact that the ZedPM was almost depleted could imply that it had been powering the device for a very long time.

I think that the only thing that was special about the ZedPM is that Mckay almost got to take it home with him!

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                I think the descended Ancient hypothesis works. And if another culture did build the device, it may have been wiped out by the Wraith already.
                Could there be a similiar device in Atlantis?
                very very very unlikely. remember what it did to the puddle jumper? if there was one on atlantis than nothing would work.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Woops, guess I misread that quote

I'm still leaning toward my descended Ancient theory, especially if the device was built 9,500 years after the Ancients left/ascended/died off.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    very very very unlikely. remember what it did to the puddle jumper? if there was one on atlantis than nothing would work.
                    I didn't say it was active. But Ancient technology is very redundant. Remember in Hot Zone when the PJ wasn't affected by the EMP of the Naquada generator overloading? Who other than the Ancients could have built a device that effectively generated a constant EMP?
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

Comment

I'd say it was probably the people of the planet who built the device, or at least modded it from some Ancient technology. There's nothing to say they weren't an extremely advanced society pre-Wraith, and there'd doubtless be survivors from any culling, possibly brilliant scientists.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It seems my post was lost, anyway, I basically said that the device was built 500 years ago, not 500 after the Ancients left and the ZPM was the one left by the Ancients on their "outpost" (Weir's list).

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                          It seems my post was lost, anyway, I basically said that the device was built 500 years ago, not 500 after the Ancients left and the ZPM was the one left by the Ancients on their "outpost" (Weir's list).

Vala,
                          I think the descended Ancient idea still holds up. 9500 years is a very long time to put up with Ancient noninterference BS.

Comment

Did anyone notice the similarity between the EM field generator and the device seen in SG-1's 'Torment of Tantalus'?

It only just occured to me that the EM field generator has a more old-school ancient tech look. Not that it even matters. But it does put to rest an idea I had, that the device was left behind by the Ancients and the natives eventually became sufficiently advanced to get it working.

Anyway, its possible that the natives became advanced enough to utilize a ZPM to power an EM field generator of their own deviseing. We didn't seem to have any trouble integrateing the ZPM into the deadie's systems.

However, I still find the descended ancient theory more viable. Perhaps the same ancient is the one who told them that if there were no 25 year olds that the Wraith wouldn't come
                            I just think that if they had done it themselves they would remember the real reasons alittle better

Comment

I'm pretty sure the device was built by the Ancients.

From Before I Sleep (01x15):

ALT-WEIR: Outposts: each one with a Zero Point Module. Janis told me.

(Elizabeth gets up from the bed and walks over to John. As soon as she speaks, both he and Rodney wake up.)

WEIR: The note she left -- coordinates of planets to have known ZeeP.Ms.

SHEPPARD: They could still be there.

McKAY: M7G-677's on here!

-Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X