Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Technology Errors In "Bad Guys" (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Technology Errors In "Bad Guys" (?)

Two things stuck out at me, and they're bugging me.
    Are these actual mistakes/inconsistencies, or are there explanations that I am unaware of?

1) The gate should have had enough power stored for one manual dial-out.
    We've seen this done in some of the earlier seasons, particularly (if I remember correctly) when the team manually dialed one of the gates on a Goa'uld mothership (which afterwards crashed on Earth) to escape from the replicators with Thor's body. I do realize that would have shortened the episode considerably.... but am I wrong?

2) The freaking seventh chevron they dialed out with.
    It was not the A symbol, or any other symbol I've ever seen used as a point of origin. I realize the original idea for the series involved having unique point of origin symbols (along with everything else) for each gate, but I could have sworn that TPTB ditched that idea about 8 seasons ago...

Does anyone know what's going on here? Are there explanations, or are these just mistakes?
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

1. - It's been a while since I saw the episode with Thor you're talking about so I'm not sure what they did there. I know there's been several times they've needed a power source to manually dial out.

2. - The seventh chevron is the "point of origin" so the only place it would be the "A" is on Earth. Every other planet has a different point of origin.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

1 - the ship that crashed into the sea didnt have a stargate. if the one you mean is the one in season 6 episode Descent, SG-1 boarded the ship using a cargo ship. the one with the stargate was Aphophis's ship in the season 1 finale (and Daniel did use it to dial out at the end)

The gate can store power until a connection is made, in the episode Torment of Tantalus the gate needed power before the inner ring would move.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        1 - the ship that crashed into the sea didnt have a stargate.
        SG-1 beamed up the gate from the SGC to escape the ship before it crashed.
        "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith View Post
          SG-1 beamed up the gate from the SGC to escape the ship before it crashed.
          Revelations and the OP is correct but if someone else had attempted a partial dial already and failed, there would not be enough power for a manual duil out.

Comment

so many ships have crashed into the sea its hard to keep track! The ship in Descent was Goa'uld and had Thors mind in the computer system, The one where they beamed the stargate up from the SGC was Thors ship when it was overrun with replicators

Comment

In "Nemesis" (Ep. 322), the Stargate was hooked up to the SGC's power grid just before it was beamed aboard Thor's ship. Its internal capacitors had enough energy to allow a manual dial-out. In "Bad Guys" (Ep. 1016), that Stargate had been dormant for most likely hundreds of years, plenty of time for the gate's capacitors to lose their charge.
              Don't green it unless you mean it.

Comment

In the episode where they dialed out from Thor's ship, the stargate had been used and was connected to a power source, therefore had stored energy in it. In this episode, the gate hadn't been used in thousands of years and the DHD wasn't connected to the gate. So, they needed a power source to power up the gate.

Also the PoO being unique, I think they did abandon that TPTB a while ago.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
                  Two things stuck out at me, and they're bugging me.
                  Are these actual mistakes/inconsistencies, or are there explanations that I am unaware of?

1) The gate should have had enough power stored for one manual dial-out.
                  We've seen this done in some of the earlier seasons, particularly (if I remember correctly) when the team manually dialed one of the gates on a Goa'uld mothership (which afterwards crashed on Earth) to escape from the replicators with Thor's body. I do realize that would have shortened the episode considerably.... but am I wrong?

2) The freaking seventh chevron they dialed out with.
                  It was not the A symbol, or any other symbol I've ever seen used as a point of origin. I realize the original idea for the series involved having unique point of origin symbols (along with everything else) for each gate, but I could have sworn that TPTB ditched that idea about 8 seasons ago...

Does anyone know what's going on here? Are there explanations, or are these just mistakes?
                  And our point of origin sign is on their model DHD. Whats with that?

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                    And our point of origin sign is on their model DHD. Whats with that?
                    That symbol has been used before as just another point in space and not the point of orrign. It's a "boo- boo".
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X