• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranks and Mistakes

pre-1996
    Carter's rank promotion to Captain
    O'Neill's rank promotion to COLONEL

Carter's rank promotion to Major (correct time allotment)

Carter's rank promotion to Lt Colonel (correct time allotment)
    O'Neill's rank promotion to Brigadier General (about correct time allotment)

O'Neill's rank promotion to Major General (INCORRECT TIME ALLOTMENT)

about 2005
    Hammond's rank promotion to Lt General (about correct time allotment)

During this entire time, several others semi-regulars were not promoted at all.

During Seasons 9-10, you can clearly see O'Neill's uniform rank changes from either 1 or 2 stars during the season and even within the same episode. And Hammond is shown as either a 2 or 3 star General.

With all the detail they do on the show, i cannot believe they let this slip by.
    Once a MARINE, Always a MARINE

God Bless, Protect, and Speed,

Robert Emmett Stephen Doyle IX

Irish by ancestry, American by birth, but MARINE by the grace of God.
    Fortitudine Vincit, In Deo Speramus, Semper Fidelis

SEMPERTOONS: http://www.sempertoons.com/
    SEMPERTOONS Store: www.cafepress.com/sempertoons

Flag officers are nominated by the President then confirmed by the Senate for promotion. There are no time in service/grade requirements afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
      Flag officers are nominated by the President then confirmed by the Senate for promotion. There are no time in service/grade requirements afaik.
      you know right. it's all political. they're recommended by the service promotion boards and nominated when vacancies occur. there's some other rules about age, TIS, and TIG, but nothing obviously violated. while it's interesting that the vacancies lined up, there's nothing wrong. some of the some of the regular (non-stars) though, especially the enlisted, are shakier though.

"allotment", huh? sure.
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

TPTB haven't really followed the military very accurately throughout the series. No way Walter, at CMS, would be operating the gate computer.
        I did notice the issue of O'Neill's rank problem in Shroud, first the change in number of stars and then the MG stars upside down.
        They don't really pay attention to the military aspects, no matter how much they claim they do.

Comment

keep in mind that once walter became a Chief Master Seargent, then he suddenly took on a much more complex role. He almsot seems to become the personal assistant to the general. Bot O'Neill and Landry. He deals with communications throughout the base and to teams off world, he works the dialing computer (which consists of much more than just chevron one encoded and close the iris)
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

In ordinary situations, I'd agree with you here. It'd normally be very odd to promote someone to brigadier general, then a year later promote them to major general. However, in this particular case there are extenuating circumstances. We're talking about Jack here, who in the Stargate universe has single handedly saved the planet several times. He ran the SGC for a year. Hammond retired from Homeworld Security after a year...who else are they going to put in that position? The president and chief of staff would've seen Jack as a man who was uniquely qualified to move on to Hammond's old rank/position after he retired. He is one of the very few people who are known to have the ATA gene also. Due to all of the events that happened in the Stargate universe, I'd say Jack's promotion after only a year as brigadier general really isn't all that unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Akai View Post

In ordinary situations, I'd agree with you here. It'd normally be very odd to promote someone to brigadier general, then a year later promote them to major general. However, in this particular case there are extenuating circumstances. We're talking about Jack here, who in the Stargate universe has single handedly saved the planet several times. He ran the SGC for a year. Hammond retired from Homeworld Security after a year...who else are they going to put in that position? The president and chief of staff would've seen Jack as a man who was uniquely qualified to move on to Hammond's old rank/position after he retired. He is one of the very few people who are known to have the ATA gene also. Due to all of the events that happened in the Stargate universe, I'd say Jack's promotion after only a year as brigadier general really isn't all that unusual.
              Agreed. As a military officer myself I have to agree that it is unusal but given the circumstances acceptable.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

About Jack, the writers were forced to do it to have a reason for him to leave the SGC. But why would he need to be promoted to do so? I really hated that he bumped Hammond out of the picture by doing so. Plus, O'Neill would NEVER have accepted an office job in Washington, as I recall, he had a tough time deciding to command the SGC (mainly because of the fear of ending up with someone like Gen. Bauer again). Yeah, in "The Return, pts. 1 and 2" as well as "The Shroud", they messed up Jack's stars.

And am I the only one who ever noticed this? How was Walter promoted from Master Sgt. to CMF? What ever happend with the Sen. Master Sgt. rank? And he was a MS since the show began (the dress uniforms they used to wear at in the control room and his dress uniform in "Heroes") so how did he skip a grade?

Vala,

Comment

if they really cared about military stuff, landry and lam would never be in the same chain of command and tank tops wouldn't have been appropriate base attire in s7

TPTB no longer seem to really care about mlitary correctness anymore
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    iF they really cared about military stUff, landry and lam would never be in the same Chain of command and tanK tops wouldn't have been appropriate base attire in s7

To be fair, from a civilian's point of view. They have so many rules that you eventually get sick of them. I guess the producers feel the same way. Anyway, I liked the Carter tanktop thing in seasons 7 and 8. And if they were really big on being accurate, none of the actors would actually have any hairstyles.

Vala,

Comment

You ever serve in the military?

I did. When it was terribly hot and/or humid, we would take off the blouses and work in our skivvy tops. Many positions allow you to do so, but a select number dont.

It wouldnt be hot inside of Cheyenne Mountain OR inside any Air Force base. They all use way too much AC.

But yes, military protocol does allow for wearing of skivvy tops while on active duty, whether crew necks or a-tops.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      if they really cared about military stuff, landry and lam would never be in the same chain of command and tank tops wouldn't have been appropriate base attire in s7

Once a MARINE, Always a MARINE

God Bless, Protect, and Speed,

Robert Emmett Stephen Doyle IX

Irish by ancestry, American by birth, but MARINE by the grace of God.
                      Fortitudine Vincit, In Deo Speramus, Semper Fidelis

SEMPERTOONS: http://www.sempertoons.com/
                      SEMPERTOONS Store: www.cafepress.com/sempertoons

Comment

I thought jack was still brigidier general and the extra start was just a wardrope mistake.

Comment

Nope, he's a two star.

Comment

Shroud just proves TPTB are confused what Jack's rank is.

As to something someone else said, I have never seen tank tops issued to anyone in the military. We are not authorized to wear them. There are times you are allowed to take the blouse off and work in the t shirt, even in office conditions, that depends on your supervisor and commander's perspective.
                            I did use to have issue with Carter always wearing the long sleeve black shirt, because I have also never seen those. But on that issue, I will refrain since we are allowed to wear the brown shirts that are basically long underwear. They are cold weather. I don't know why she would be wearing them, but they are in Colorado so I guess she could be authorized to do so.

And from what I have seen from Children of the Gods to now, TPTB never cared to be accurate or consistent with the military aspects of the show. It is just plot device for them.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
                              pre-1996
                              Carter's rank promotion to Captain
                              O'Neill's rank promotion to COLONEL

Carter's rank promotion to Major (correct time allotment)

Carter's rank promotion to Lt Colonel (correct time allotment)
                              O'Neill's rank promotion to Brigadier General (about correct time allotment)

about 2005
                              Hammond's rank promotion to Lt General (about correct time allotment)

During this entire time, several others semi-regulars were not promoted at all.

During Seasons 9-10, you can clearly see O'Neill's uniform rank changes from either 1 or 2 stars during the season and even within the same episode. And Hammond is shown as either a 2 or 3 star General.

With all the detail they do on the show, i cannot believe they let this slip by.
                              Psssst wanna know a secret?

Its a tv show. There arent aliens or secret spaceships either.

Comment

Working...
                              X