Pegasus Project stargate physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pegasus Project stargate physics

After I watched the episode of Stargate SG-1: The Pegasus Project, I started wonder why they needed a blackhole in the Pegasus galaxy to connect to a stargate that is also in the presence of a blackhole in the Milkyway galaxy.

From what I understood in season 2 episode 16: Matter of Time, Stargate Command connected to an offworld stargate that was on a collision course with a blackhole, and thus the wormhole could not be disengaged. To keep the stargates connected, there was only one blackhole and that blackhole was on the otherside of the stargate, which threatened to destroy Stargate Command.

What I'm having trouble understanding is why was the blackhole necessary in the Pegasus Galaxy when there was already a blackhole at the Ori beachhead.

Because there was already a blackhole present, I don't see why the blackhole in Pegasus was needed because once a stargate connects to another stargate at the egde of a blackhole, a blackhole on the sending end shouldn't be required, but rather just on the receiving end.

If anyone knows why the blackhole in Pegasus was needed, please explain it to me because I think that was messed up.
    Then To Tyolous
    Say to the people of the low plains
    Seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors
    Lest it finds purchase in your own house.

Originally posted by merrik86 View Post
    After I watched the episode of Stargate SG-1: The Pegasus Project, I started wonder why they needed a blackhole in the Pegasus galaxy to connect to a stargate that is also in the presence of a blackhole in the Milkyway galaxy.

From what I understood in season 2 episode 16: Matter of Time, Stargate Command connected to an offworld stargate that was on a collision course with a blackhole, and thus the wormhole could not be disengaged. To keep the stargates connected, there was only one blackhole and that blackhole was on the otherside of the stargate, which threatened to destroy Stargate Command.

What I'm having trouble understanding is why was the blackhole necessary in the Pegasus Galaxy when there was already a blackhole at the Ori beachhead.

Because there was already a blackhole present, I don't see why the blackhole in Pegasus was needed because once a stargate connects to another stargate at the egde of a blackhole, a blackhole on the sending end shouldn't be required, but rather just on the receiving end.

If anyone knows why the blackhole in Pegasus was needed, please explain it to me because I think that was messed up.
    They said in the episode that the Asgard tried later on but couldn't dial out. It was designed to be dialled in from another galaxy. In order to dial in to a supergate & keep it open for long periods of time, you need a black hole. That left only 2 galaxies that they could logically use (Ida & Pegasus). They already knew of one in Pegasus thanks to the Atlantis expedition so used that. So why go hunting in Ida or other galaxies, when they already had one that they could already use in Pegasus.

They dialed in to the supergate from the Pegasus side, establishing a connection with the supergate which tied it up from the Ori. Preventing the Ori in their home galaxy from being able to dial back in & send more ships through. The Ori or anyone else couldn't send ships through the original connection from the MW end because it was originally dialed in from the Ori galaxy. While with the second connection was from the Pegasus side. Only matter from Pegasus could have come through safely from their side. Just the same as only matter from the Ori galaxy could have come through the original connection in 'Camelot'.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
      They said in the episode that the Asgard tried later on but couldn't dial out. It was designed to be dialled in from another galaxy. In order to dial in to a supergate & keep it open for long periods of time, you need a black hole. That left only 2 galaxies that they could logically use (Ida & Pegasus). They already knew of one in Pegasus thanks to the Atlantis expedition so used that. So why go hunting in Ida or other galaxies, when they already had one that they could already use in Pegasus.

They dialed in to the supergate from the Pegasus side, establishing a connection with the supergate which tied it up from the Ori. Preventing the Ori in their home galaxy from being able to dial back in & send more ships through. The Ori or anyone else couldn't send ships through the original connection from the MW end because it was originally dialed in from the Ori galaxy. While with the second connection was from the Pegasus side. Only matter from Pegasus could have come through safely from their side. Just the same as only matter from the Ori galaxy could have come through the original connection in 'Camelot'.

This doesn't really answer my question. Yes, the Asgard tried to dial out again, but I assumed that they tried to install a new dialing crystal to the Supergate to get it to dial out from the Milkyway to the Ori Galaxy.

But even if that were the case, WHY was a blackhole needed in either Ida or Pegasus? Both regular sized stargates (From Ida to MW or Pegasus to MW) could've made an initial connection and been kept open from the blackhole (which wasn't shown) in the Milkyway created by the Ori.

If you haven't seen The Shroud yet, don't read the spoiler.

Spoiler:
      As a prior, Daniel was able to initiate a dialing process which made an outgoing wormhole from Milkyway to the Ori Galaxy, and lets assume the ship made it through safely (The Sangral and Adria was aboard afterall). But this was after Jack ordered the Daedalus to shutdown the stargate.

Remember back to Matter of Time. The blackhole on the offworld site prevented Stargate Command from shutting down their stargate, almost destroying the base. Then in this case, with the Ori in play now, Going back in time, this would mean that in order to keep both stargates open, a blackhole was also needed on earth's side to keep the stargate from disengaging from the blackhole offworld. This does not make any sence at all seeing as there is no Blackhole in our star system.

Yes I understand that the Supergate can only receive incoming wormhols from another galaxy, but why is a blackhole required when dialing out from the other galaxy when dialing into the Milkyway Galaxy where a blackhole is already present?
      Then To Tyolous
      Say to the people of the low plains
      Seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors
      Lest it finds purchase in your own house.

Comment

Yes I understand that the Supergate can only receive incoming wormhols from another galaxy, but why is a blackhole required when dialing out from the other galaxy when dialing into the Milkyway Galaxy where a blackhole is already present?
        It was needed because the gates were in separate galaxies, which we know needs extra power to create a wormhole. In 'A Matter of Time' the two gates were in the same galaxy so extra power wasn't required.
        "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

The on show reason as stated was that the supergate wont recieve any kind of connection from other MW gates only from gates outside the MW network, this was presumably done by the Ori to insure we werent dialing it all the time, they didnt expect us to dial from the Pegasus galaxy apparently (which is strange since they probed daniels mind and he knew about Atlantis).

The jump between gates stunt they pulled to get a connection was stated to have been tried intra galaxy before and it didnt work.

There is really nothing more to it then that.

They used an MW gates because pegasus gates cant dial intergalactic and they placed it next to a blackhole for the powersource to dial out and because the blackhole on the supergate side wasnt close enough to the supergate to keep it open forever.

Comment

They used a black hole so that they could keep the wormhole engaged for more than thirty-eight minutes. Without a black hole, they could only keep the connection open (and therefore, prevent the Ori from dialing out) for this amount of time without sending something through. The time dilation effects of the mass of the black hole allow the connection to be maintained for a much longer period of time. The black hole didn't provide power to the gate; the nuclear blasts did.

Comment

This doesn't really answer my question. Yes, the Asgard tried to dial out again, but I assumed that they tried to install a new dialing crystal to the Supergate to get it to dial out from the Milkyway to the Ori Galaxy.

But even if that were the case, WHY was a blackhole needed in either Ida or Pegasus? Both regular sized stargates (From Ida to MW or Pegasus to MW) could've made an initial connection and been kept open from the blackhole (which wasn't shown) in the Milkyway created by the Ori.
              No they couldn't, since when has a stargate been able to dial another galaxy without a huge amount of power? I understand what you're saying about the black hole on the other side powering it, but there still needs to be an initial connection made from another galaxy, and the only thing powerful enough to do that is a black hole, or ZPM etc etc.

Comment

The black hole doesn't supply any power. The nuclear detonations the Pegasus set off supplied the neccessary power for the initial connection (and, I assume, maintaining said connection).

Comment

Originally posted by boinga1 View Post
                  The black hole doesn't supply any power. The nuclear detonations the Pegasus set off supplied the neccessary power for the initial connection (and, I assume, maintaining said connection).
                  NO, the nuclear blasts provided the JUMP from small gate to supergate. The Blackhole provided power and timespace distortions. Go back and watch, A matter of time and the pegasus project if you doubt this. It is on show stated fact.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                    NO, the nuclear blasts provided the JUMP from small gate to supergate. The Blackhole provided power and timespace distortions. Go back and watch, A matter of time and the pegasus project if you doubt this. It is on show stated fact.
                    You're right. I forgot about the "jump." But then, how does a black hole provide power? It doesn't generate any energy; it absorbs all radiation. Hmm. Perhaps an oversight?

Edit: Black holes may generate Hawking radiation. It's not clear if that would be enough to power a stargate for an intergalactic dialing (my guess is no).

Edit: Hawking radiation doesn't seem to be very powerful. A sun-sized black hole has a power rating of about 10^?28 watts. A more massive black hole seems to produce less, not more, power.
                    Last edited by boinga1; 18 May 2007, 03:46 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Comment

On the power generation you just have trust your suspension of disbelief, it dosnt make sense that it work that way but it does on show.

Comment

On the power generation you just have trust your suspension of disbelief, it dosnt make sense that it work that way but it does on show.
                        Here's an easy way to rationalize most of the rubber science you see on TV: There will always be scientific phenomenon we haven't discovered yet. It seems likely that Ancient technology works on more than a few undiscovered properties of matter, energy and space/time.

More succinctly: Just cause we don't understand how it could work that way right now doesn't mean it can't work that way. Give us time to catch up to Ancient tech in the real world...
                        Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

I agree but that is still suspension of disbelief, just a longer explanation of it . Getting power on magnitude from a blackhole makes little sense in real life physics at the moment, it may work later on but for now it dosnt so suspension of disbelief plays in.

Comment

I agree but that is still suspension of disbelief, just a longer explanation of it . Getting power on magnitude from a blackhole makes little sense in real life physics at the moment, it may work later on but for now it dosnt so suspension of disbelief plays in.
                            Well according to the Tollan our entire understanding of Quantum physics is way off anyway, so in the SG-verse we ain't really that smart!

Comment

Working...
                            X