X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcasting & Cable: SciFi Channel schedules Ani-Monday

From Broadcasting & Cable:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6439376.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Sci Fi Targets Late Night

Network hopes toons will get younger viewers tuning in

By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/7/2007

In an attempt to lure younger viewers and expand the reach of its brand, Sci Fi Channel is launching Ani-Monday, a two-hour late-night block of anime programming. Set to premiere June 11, the slate will put the network in direct competition with Cartoon Network's late-night ratings powerhouse Adult Swim, which programs anime as well.

Running from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m., the block will include acquired series, movies and shorts.

The content comes from Manga, one of three major U.S. anime distributors and a unit of Starz Media, which produces Sci Fi's live-action original Painkiller Jane, among other network shows.

**snippage**

<><><><><><><>

From the SciFi Channel's Schedulebot:

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3

June 11th

11:00 PM ANI-MONDAY: GHOST IN THE SHELL: SOLID STATE SOCIETY

June 18th

11:00 PM NOEIN
    11:30 PM TOKKO
    12:00 AM MACROSS PLUS

June 25th

11:00 PM NOEIN
    11:30 PM TOKKO
    12:00 AM MACROSS PLUS

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

SFC used to air Anime in the early days and could have sewn up the "Adult Swim" audience before the CN. If the SFC were smart, they should get the rights and air uncut some of the more popular anime's out there right now like Ghost Hunt, Claymore, Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, Blue Dragon, 5 Centimeter, etc etc and they don't even have to dub the episodes, just add the subtitles (cheaper) and anime fans/age group would be happy (most if not all are used to subbed episodes) and will keep coming back for more. It's a matter of understanding the expectations and what is the norm for the majority of anime fans. American networks think english dub will bring in more viewers, but many anime's are considered butchered in the translations to english and the voice actors, in many cases, do not have the same emotion or bite to their voice acting as their Japanese counterparts. Many prefer to hear the original Japanese voices and music with subtitles. Funny thing is that some parents watch the subbed anime's with their children and claim it helped their kids read english better/faster.
    Last edited by Sci-Fi; 06 May 2007, 11:18 PM.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
      SFC used to air Anime in the early days
      Yep, that was my first thought. Either they're cutting costs or someone has decided there's been a mainstream surge in popularity of anime.

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
      If the SFC were smart, they should get the rights and air uncut some of the more popular anime's out there right now
      I prefer the classics, myself. But, yeah, that would probably be a good move--especially if they managed to premiere some.

and they don't even have to dub the episodes, just add the subtitles (cheaper) (snip)
      Yes, the Sci-Fi Channel is so good about supplying what their audience wants.

I can't look.

I *really* prefer them in Japanese myself.

but many anime's are considered butchered in the translations to english
      So what are some that *aren't* considered butchered?

and the voice actors, in many cases, do not have the same emotion or bite to their voice acting as their Japanese counterparts.
      I saw a Lupin the Third episode a few months ago that had the strangest mix of excellent and bad performances. Let me guess, it's an old dub and we would be lucky to get anywhere near that quality nowadays.

And don't get me started on the standard American/Canadian female voice. They always sound like they're reading to a toddler and forgot their glasses--high pitched and fakey.

Funny thing is that some parents watch the subbed anime's with their children and claim it helped their kids read english better/faster.
      I don't know about anime specifically, but people like subtitles because they help with the problem of not understanding noisy or badly mic'd scenes.
      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
        So what are some that *aren't* considered butchered?
        GitS 1st and 2nd GiGs were well done as well as Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FMA, Trigun, etc etc.

One Piece was really butchered badly by 4Kids (crazy accents and deleted or modified scenes) and fans hope FUNimation doesn't screw up since they just took over the rights.

Naruto fans cringed at the constant use of "Believe it" and the changed OP and EP. Now CN airs the original OP and EP with subtitles and cut down how many times Naruto says "Believe it" to tolerable levels.

The SFC could pickup many of the short 13 episode series, like Soukou no Strain, and virtually have something new to broadcast year round. Lately, Adult Swim has been disappointing and many anime forums have expressed their opinions on wanting something better to watch. Doubt we'll ever see fan service animes like Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny, Grenadier, etc etc, even though they don't show anything but have good story/plots in the midnight hours. But it would be daring if the SFC did.

The key thing is not to dumb down a teen+ rated anime to kid rated if the SFC is serious in capturing the hearts and viewership of the anime fanbase. GitS was originally shown on a premium channel in Japan, a sort of HBO/Showtime network, and the themes and story/plot was adult oriented.
        It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
          GitS 1st and 2nd GiGs were well done as well as Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FMA, Trigun, etc etc.

One Piece was really butchered badly by 4Kids (crazy accents and deleted or modified scenes) and fans hope FUNimation doesn't screw up since they just took over the rights.
          From the twisted imagination of Scott Ramsoomair comes THIS COMIC!
          GitS and FMA were done brilliantly. It's kind of hard to watch the original Japanese now, since the voice acting was so spot on.
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Well, this anime fan is quite happy! And they're starting off with GITS and Noein, both excellent SF series.

I was looking at what this Manga Entertainment have licensed though and it isn't much. Read or Die is a fun series and there's the fanboy standard Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I don't know what else that distributor can offer skiffy.

There are tons of great SF anime out there too - Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, Gankutsuou, Last Exile, Eureka 7, Lain, Planetes, Code Geass, so much more.

It would be really nice if they went with subbed instead of dubbed...

Comment

Working...
            X