This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDA galaxy question

i know that pegasus is a real galaxy[pegasus dwarf], but is the asgard galaxy of IDA a name the writers made up for the asgard to use, or a name we[as humans in RL] have given an 'actual' galaxy? if so, any idea of distance? and approx location?

ty in advance

i figure this is more a science question than one for general discussion
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Well I couldn't find the Ida galaxy on Wikipedia, so my guess is it isn't a real galaxy. Distance, I would say further away than the Pegasus galaxy.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

It properly is a real galaxy called something like NGC 4414 or NGC 1300 or something like that but is only known as Ida to the Asgard.

Make Sense. Just like we call Earth, Earth and the Ancients call it Terra.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

In terms of galaxys, no there is no Ida galaxy and would probably be known to Earth under a different name. However, in terms of where the name came from well its from Norse beliefs as most things relating to the Asgard are. Here's a link to the wiki entry.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker View Post
          Well I couldn't find the Ida galaxy on Wikipedia, so my guess is it isn't a real galaxy. Distance, I would say further away than the Pegasus galaxy.
          Asgard can jump from Ida to MW in a matter of minutes.

In 'Misbegotten' it was said an Asgard ship would take 4 days to reach Pegasus.

While in 'Unending' we saw Odyssey jump back from IDA to the MW very quickly. Yet even with ZPM it would take 4 days to reach Atlantis. Therefore there is no way Ida is anywhere near the same distance as Pegasus, not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
            It properly is a real galaxy called something like NGC 4414 or NGC 1300 or something like that but is only known as Ida to the Asgard.
            NGC 4414 is 62 million light years away, so that ain't it.
            NGC 1300 is 69 million light years away, so that ain't it either.

The only evidence of distance we have from the series is from the episode Exodus back in season 4. The team blows up a star to destroy Apophis' fleet and the resulting explosion tosses the teams Ha'tak ~4 million light years to an unnamed galaxy populated with Replicators.
            While they never said where they were, the only galaxies we know to have replicators in them were the Milky Way and Ida. Since we know it wasn't the Milky Way, it must have been Ida. Circumstantial evidence? Sure, but it's at least founded on what we know from the show.

If Ida is ~4 million light years away, it's possible that it is one of the following real-life galaxies:

1. IC 10
            2. Sextans A
            4. NGC 3109
            5. Antlia Dwarf
            6. Sextans B
            7. UGCA 92
            8. UKS 2323-326

It's also quite possible that Ida is a galaxy that is near by, but the view is obstructed from Earth by the Milky Way's core. In that case, it should be a dwarf galaxy, since a large galaxy would probably be detectable.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
              Asgard can jump from Ida to MW in a matter of minutes.
              Which has never been adequately explained. It's never been stated where the Asgard ships are leaving when it takes them minutes to come to the teams rescue. We assume it's from the Ida galaxy, but it's never been made clear. It's possible that they have ships in the Milky Way patrolling their protected planets, and those are the ships that appear "within minutes".

In 'Misbegotten' it was said an Asgard ship would take 4 days to reach Pegasus.
              No. It was said that using an Asgard ship would shave nearly two weeks off their normal travel time. Since their normal travel time is anywhere from 14-18 days, shaving nearly two weeks would get them there in 0-4 days. Still no evidence to base a hypothesis from.

While in 'Unending' we saw Odyssey jump back from IDA to the MW very quickly. Yet even with ZPM it would take 4 days to reach Atlantis.
              Very quickly is by no means an accurate time estimate. We don't know how long they were on board the Odyssey. We do know that Vala was bored out of her mind, and for someone who is used to traveling around in ships prior to her joining SG-1, the travel time was probably longer than the trip to Pegasus, but again, no real information to base any hypothesis from.

Therefore there is no way Ida is anywhere near the same distance as Pegasus, not even close.
              You have little to no evidence to support this statement.

It only took Carter and Teal'c 10 days to get to Ida from the Milky Way in the modified Goa'uld cargo ship in New Order. Considering it was a Goa'uld cargo ship, it would normally travel much slower, so relatively speaking, Ida very well could be close by.

At this point in time it doesn't really matter. I doubt the team will have any reason to make the trip to Ida anymore, what with the Asgard being
              Spoiler:
              dead
              and all...

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

they could always explore the ida galaxy >_< cough....
                deviantArt

Favorite

Newest

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                  Which has never been adequately explained. It's never been stated where the Asgard ships are leaving when it takes them minutes to come to the teams rescue. We assume it's from the Ida galaxy, but it's never been made clear. It's possible that they have ships in the Milky Way patrolling their protected planets, and those are the ships that appear "within minutes".
                  Actually it has been explained!

In 'Unnatural Evolution'. 'Prometheus' is towed back into Earth's orbit by Thor's ship instantly. They get supplies, then this is said:

THOR
                  The journey to our home galaxy will take many hours with your vessel in tow. You may consult your superiors en route.

Mins usually, hours when towing something along the lines of a ship! There you go, timeframe said in the show itself direct from Earth to Ida via an Asgard ship.

No. It was said that using an Asgard ship would shave nearly two weeks off their normal travel time. Since their normal travel time is anywhere from 14-18 days, shaving nearly two weeks would get them there in 0-4 days. Still no evidence to base a hypothesis from.
                  We've never seen them say 14 days before, your just making that up! Unless you have evidence to the contrary of course.

From Intruder:

WEIR: I know how you feel. It was extremely convenient to be able to step through the Gate and be at Stargate Command in an instant, and now this ... (she looks around the room) ... feels extremely inconvenient, having to spend eighteen days cooped up in the ship to get back.

Just under 18 without a ZPM. Take off 2 weeks & it'd still be a few days to travel to Atlantis.

Very quickly is by no means an accurate time estimate. We don't know how long they were on board the Odyssey. We do know that Vala was bored out of her mind, and for someone who is used to traveling around in ships prior to her joining SG-1, the travel time was probably longer than the trip to Pegasus, but again, no real information to base any hypothesis from.
                  Again we do know a timeframe, they went from Ida back to the MW in the space of a few mins (maximum under an hour) themselves.

Landry
                  I thought they couldn't track us in hyperspace.

Vala

Unless it was the Ori themselves, tipping off the Priors.

Jackson
                  We've already passed back into the Milky Way. As far as we know, the Ancients should have a problem with the Ori using their ascended powers right under their noses.

Right after that Carter noticed the problem with the hyperdrive & said it would take them an hour to get to it before the hyperdrive failed.

Carter
                  Yes, sir: P3X-474. It's uninhabited. We should get there in just under an hour. We might make it before the hyperdrive fails.

Jackson
                  And what?

Mitchell
                  Beam to the surface and gate home.

You have little to no evidence to support this statement.

It only took Carter and Teal'c 10 days to get to Ida from the Milky Way in the modified Goa'uld cargo ship in New Order. Considering it was a Goa'uld cargo ship, it would normally travel much slower, so relatively speaking, Ida very well could be close by.

At this point in time it doesn't really matter. I doubt the team will have any reason to make the trip to Ida anymore, what with the Asgard being
                  Spoiler:
                  dead
                  and all...
                  Pegasus is 3 million miles away from the MW, this is a fact & is stated in the show (Grace Under Pressure'! Plus those above when they passed back into the MW from Ida quickly, then Carter said they had around an hour before the hyperdrive failed. A 304 went from Ida to MW well inside an hour, yet it takes the same ship around 4 days to reach Atlantis.

Bringing in a cargo ship & it taking 10 days is nothing at all, especially considering Goa'uld don't have intergalactic capbilities themselves.

Do the math! 'Unnatural Selection' it takes hours from Earth while towing Prometheus along with it to Ida. A 304 in 'Unending' passed back from Ida to MW well within an hour before the hyperdrive would have failed. Yet the same ship takes 4 days to reach Pegasus. Thus, Ida is much closer than Pegasus!

Comment

Actually it has been explained!

In 'Unnatural Evolution'. 'Prometheus' is towed back into Earth's orbit by Thor's ship instantly.
                    It actually took about 8 seconds. Yes, I counted when I was trying to establish a speed. Carter mentioned that she estimated that the Prometheus had traveled ~1200 light years from Earth: 1200 LY in 8 seconds = 150 LY/s.

@ 150 LY/s, it would take the same Asgard ship (with Prometheus in tow) about 5.5 hours to travel from the Earth to Pegasus. ~14 days shaved off of a travel time of ~18 days = 4 days from Earth to Pegasus. The math doesn't add up.

They get supplies, then this is said:

THOR
                    The journey to our home galaxy will take many hours with your vessel in tow. You may consult your superiors en route.

Mins usually, hours when towing something along the lines of a ship! There you go, timeframe said in the show itself direct from Earth to Ida via an Asgard ship.
                    It's a vague approximation, not an accurate figure. "Many" means any number beyond 2.

Again we do know a timeframe, they went from Ida back to the MW in the space of a few mins (maximum under an hour) themselves.
                    There's simply no way they made the trip from Ida back into the Milky Way in under an hour.

What really happened in Unending was this:

Spoiler:
                    1. Odyssey appears at Orilla and gets the Asgard goodies.
                    2. Three Ori ship exit hyperspace, with one ship attacking Odyssey while the other two approach the planet.
                    3. Orilla blows up, destroying two Ori ships while Odyssey takes out the remaining Ori ship pursuing them.
                    4. Odyssey leaves Ida to return to Earth.
                    5. Carter discovers an anomaly with the hyperdrive and requests that they drop out of hyperspace to run a diagnostic.
                    6. When the Odyssey returns to normal space (between galaxies), two Ori ship exit hyperspace and attack. Odyssey re-enters hyperspace in order to avoid another battle.
                    7. By the time they've re-entered the Milky Way, they've figured out that the Ori have a way to track them. Carter still hasn't run a diagnostic on the hyperdrive, but she's now certain it will fail soon (why? Bad writing).
                    8. The team decides to evacuate the ships crew to a nearby planet about a hour away, which Carter says they should be able to reach before the hyperdrive fails (again, no explanation for why it will fail).

I honestly have no idea where you're getting this figure of an hour travel time between galaxies. The only thing I can think of is that you've taken the dialog out of context.

Pegasus is 3 million miles away from the MW, this is a fact & is stated in the show (Grace Under Pressure'!
                    I'm not debating this, and I agree with that figure.

A 304 went from Ida to MW well inside an hour, yet it takes the same ship around 4 days to reach Atlantis.
                    There is no information as to how long they spent getting from Ida to the Milky Way from Unending. Re-read the transcript (I just did).

Do the math! 'Unnatural Selection' it takes hours from Earth while towing Prometheus along with it to Ida.
                    ~7.4 hours by my calculations.

A 304 in 'Unending' passed back from Ida to MW well within an hour before the hyperdrive would have failed.
                    No it didn't. Like I said, we have no idea how long the Odyssey was in hyperspace between the first Ori attack in orbit of Orilla and the second attack between galaxies. We also have no idea how long they spent in hyperspace between the second attack and the third attack inside the Milky Way.

Yet the same ship takes 4 days to reach Pegasus. Thus, Ida is much closer than Pegasus!
                    Your data is faulty. Check it again.

Comment

Has anyone considered that when Wier was talking about the travel time in relation to traveling with the Asgaard, that they may not have had a ship available to fly them the very instant they asked, it may have taken it a few days to get ready and come and pick them up...

Unending can be explained easily aswell.

Spoiler:
                      The Hyperdrives the Odyssey used to travel there may have been our normal drives but after the Asgaard had upgraded the systems the Odyssey now posses Asgaard Mothership grade Hyperdrives capable of much higher speeds.

This could also explain why there was problems with the hyperdrives, they had yet to be calibrated to the ship and its systems.

It is merely an assumption by people here on Gateworld that the first hyperdrives given to us by the Asgaard only lacked power to become as good as theirs, they may in fact be far less efficient then the top of the line Asgaard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                        Not sure if this helps but Vala did go to the Pegasus galaxy on the Odyssey in 'The Pegasus Project' by the looks of it she wasn't bored out of her mind when we first see her on the ship. Since the ship had no ZPM at that time I would think it would have been the average 3 week trip. Again, not sure if it helps.
                        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Pegasus is 3 million miles away from the MW, this is a fact & is stated in the show (Grace Under Pressure'!
                          I think you mean 3 million light years. If it was 3 million miles it would take them a few seconds to get there.
                          "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith View Post
                            I think you mean 3 million light years. If it was 3 million miles it would take them a few seconds to get there.
                            Hell we could probably get there with today's tech if it was that close.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

ok, this might help find it :-

http://sycamore.inr.net/gz/galaxies.wrl

if you need the wrml browser client, get it here(seems to be different for IE and firefox, and install for firefox is a bit wierd on vista):-

http://www.parallelgraphics.com/prod...load/netscape/

basically it allows you to move round a 3d map in your web browser, the top link is local galaxies, and they all have their names/designations when you get close (pegasus dwarf is a blue point, out on its own, vaguely behind where your camera starts at) and i found another for local clusters, but that might be a bit too large scale for this question.

thanks for your hypothethe..............hypoths.............hypithe.............(screw it) thinking time
                              sigpic
                              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                              X