X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo News: Best SciFi Show or Movie?

From Yahoo News:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070504/...r08QhTQMJpMhkF

NEW YORK - The best science-fiction movie or TV show of the past 25 years?

As a classic episode of "The Twilight Zone" once so memorably underscored, beauty is in the eye of the beholder — so the answer is surely endlessly debatable. But, according to a list compiled by the editors of Entertainment Weekly, it's "The Matrix."

The 1999 movie, starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne, is No. 1 on the magazine's top-25 list, in the issue hitting newsstands Monday.

"The Matrix" is followed by the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica," 1982's "Blade Runner," the cult TV hit "The X-Files" and — another 1982 production — "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

The 1985 movie "Brazil" ranks No. 6, and is trailed in the top-10 by "E.T."; "Star Trek: The Next Generation"; "Aliens"; "The Thing," starring Kurt Russell.

NBC's "Heroes" — about a group of super-people, including an indestructible cheerleader — ranks No. 18. The series' cast members are featured on five different covers of the magazine's upcoming issue.

___

On the Net:

Entertainment Weekly:

http://www.ew.com/ew

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Entertainment Weekly has articles from this issue online...and neither Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, nor the move Stargate made the list for the Top 25 SciFi Shows and Movies.

Here's the link:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2003...037541,00.html

And the top 25 series are:

1. THE MATRIX (1999)
    2. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003-Present)
    3. BLADE RUNNER (1982)
    4. THE X-FILES (1993-2002)
    5. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982)
    6. BRAZIL (1985)
    7. E.T. (1982)
    8. STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (1987-1994)
    9. ALIENS (1986)
    10. THE THING (1982)
    11. LOST (2004-Present)
    12. BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)
    13. THE TERMINATOR/ TERMINATOR 2 (1984 /1991)
    14. CHILDREN OF MEN (2006)
    15. FIREFLY/SERENITY (2002/2005)
    16. TOTAL RECALL (1990)
    17. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004)
    18. HEROES (2006-Present)
    19. STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997)
    20. STAR WARS: CLONE WARS (2003-2005)
    21. FUTURAMA (1999-2003)
    22. QUANTUM LEAP (1989-1993)
    23. DOCTOR WHO (1963-Present)
    24. GALAXY QUEST (1999)
    25. V: THE MINISERIES (1983)

There's also a link for the Top 100 SciFi Books, Movies and TV at:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2003...285332,00.html

listing the top 50, and Stargate isn't listed in the 50 online either.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I can't believe no Stargate made the list...Galaxy Quest?!?!?! Futurama?!?!?! These are comedies! I don't get it...
      sigpic

Comment

I have left my "where the heck is Stargate SG1 on the list" at Entertainment Weekly's comment spot:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007...mment-68611156

From the URL above, it reads:

Anyway, if there's anything you feel was criminally overlooked, let us know below, and if we get enough interesting responses, we'll create a gallery of our readers' own Sci-Fi 25.
        I hope others from GateWorld will leave their messages, too.

I can't believe that Stargate isn't mentioned at all.

Maybe if enough of us leave comments, next week's magazine will acknowledge the slight.

From reading many of the comments already left, Farscape, Babylon 5, and Stargate SG1 are getting the most outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by A Mal Doran View Post
          Maybe if enough of us leave comments, next week's magazine will acknowledge the slight.
          Done...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by A Mal Doran View Post
            I have left my "where the heck is Stargate SG1 on the list" at Entertainment Weekly's comment spot:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007...mment-68611156

Thanks for the link!

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I'm still in shock that V-The Miniseries made the top 25. Granted, I'm happy, but just not used to seeing it make any lists. Wow.

Dutifully left my comments regarding Farscape and Stargate as well.

Comment

Deserves it, though.
                Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Warning! Warning! The "Sci-Fi's Top 100" article keeps talking about things in the future that are already in the past, e.g. the "set to launch" Star Wars prequels, Star Trek IX "on the way". Apparently it's from several years ago. Don't confuse it with "`The Matrix' tops mag's sci-fi list".
                  Last edited by Wordsmit2; 08 May 2007, 03:14 AM.
                  Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Working...
                  X