X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live forever (kind of)

Ok I have a question

If you were beamed up using an Asgard beam technology and then stored in a buffer would you age in the buffer or would you just remain the same and then get beamed out later say a few thousand years and then bam your back from the grave or would you just die in there?
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

You wouldn't age, but your file may degrade and you need a stable power source. If you happen to be a Star Trek fan, watch the TNG episode "Relics." transporter work about the same way as Asgard beams.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
      Ok I have a question

If you were beamed up using an Asgard beam technology and then stored in a buffer would you age in the buffer or would you just remain the same and then get beamed out later say a few thousand years and then bam your back from the grave or would you just die in there?
      In "The Ark"
      Spoiler:
      a human civilization uses the Wraith culling device in that manner. And the Asgard beam technology is better and we have all their tech so its possible.
      oh yea you wouldn't age I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CptSneed View Post
        You wouldn't age, but your file may degrade and you need a stable power source. If you happen to be a Star Trek fan, watch the TNG episode "Relics." transporter work about the same way as Asgard beams.
        I am sure if the power source was large enough and as said above, stable, then it wouldn't matter. But it would also depends if the pattern in buffer didn't degrade over an extended period of time. Meaning, that in the Asgard beaming tech, that the pattern can't be stored for an extended period of time, unlike the Wraith beaming tech.

: Green is Good.
        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

yeah its all been said.

You wont live forever, since it needs a power source. Plus that means the beaming tech is not going to be in use.
          Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
            In "The Ark"
            Spoiler:
            a human civilization uses the Wraith culling device in that manner. And the Asgard beam technology is better and we have all their tech so its possible.
            oh yea you wouldn't age I think.
            The Wraith culling beam is not the same as the Asgaard beam, the Asgaard beam is a point to point beam and if it is based on ancient tech as speculated then it would NOT store anything in any buffers, just pick it up and deposit it elsewhere, the person never gets stored in ships computers or buffers, at most the beam controller create a blueprint for the person for use when reassembling the atoms on arrival.

The Star Trek beam and the Asgaard beam are about as different as two similiar techs can become.

Star Trek beam turn matter into energy and transports the energy to a buffer/capacitor on the ship and then sends the energy to the destination and condense the energy into matter again using a blueprint which it created from the pickup.

Asgaard beams (if in truth they are based on Ancient tech) never turns people into energy but breaks up people into atoms and transport them where they need to go where it then uses the blueprint it made on pickup to reassemble the atoms into the correct form.

It has never been truely confirmed that the Asgaard beam is indeed based on Ancient teleportation technology but it is reasonable to assume and widely believed given what we have seen on show.

Comment

What would be the point anyway? You won't be "living", you'd be stuck in the transport buffer.

Comment

speaking of living forever, the asgard can revive a person from death (Point Of View)
                maybe they have a healing technology similar to telchak's device
                so can we now make a sarcophagus for humans?

the writers will probably never let that happen but I just can't resist that nagging whatif .

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                  The Wraith culling beam is not the same as the Asgaard beam, the Asgaard beam is a point to point beam and if it is based on ancient tech as speculated then it would NOT store anything in any buffers, just pick it up and deposit it elsewhere, the person never gets stored in ships computers or buffers, at most the beam controller create a blueprint for the person for use when reassembling the atoms on arrival.

The Star Trek beam and the Asgaard beam are about as different as two similiar techs can become.

Star Trek beam turn matter into energy and transports the energy to a buffer/capacitor on the ship and then sends the energy to the destination and condense the energy into matter again using a blueprint which it created from the pickup.

Asgaard beams (if in truth they are based on Ancient tech) never turns people into energy but breaks up people into atoms and transport them where they need to go where it then uses the blueprint it made on pickup to reassemble the atoms into the correct form.

It has never been truely confirmed that the Asgaard beam is indeed based on Ancient teleportation technology but it is reasonable to assume and widely believed given what we have seen on show.
                  Actually Asgard beams aren't point to point in the manner many people think.

You don't go from A to B, you actually go from A to B to C.

Anything that gets beamed needs to go through the ship housing the beaming tech first. So it has to get stored in the buffer for a fraction of a second before it gets sent to the location.

Asgard beams may not be designed to house anything for an extended period of time like that of Wraith culling beams. I'm sure it could be tweaked, but I don't think they'd have the skill to do such a thing, seeing as they only got a look at the beam first hand in 'Duet'. Therefore if anybody wanted to store things long term, they should opt for the Wraith's version that has proven itself in 'The Ark'.

So as long as there is enough power & everything is working correctly, then you shouldn't age or degrade while in that sort of stasis depending on the length of suspended animation that you'll be kept for.

If it was long term, why didn't Lanteans do it, instead of using stasis pods?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                    Actually Asgard beams aren't point to point in the manner many people think.

You don't go from A to B, you actually go from A to B to C.

Anything that gets beamed needs to go through the ship housing the beaming tech first. So it has to get stored in the buffer for a fraction of a second before it gets sent to the location.
                    I will agree with you partially, ofc the matter and energy has to go past the beam array but that dosnt necessarily mean it gets stored there for any amount of time, I am personally inclined to believe that all it does is recieve the matter and energy and then send it to its destination. This doesnt have to involve any storing not even for the smallest amount of time, I base this on how the ancient teleportation works.

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                    If it was long term, why didn't Lanteans do it, instead of using stasis pods?
                    Simple, its a very energy ineffecient and dangerous storing method, if at any point power is lost, physical damage is dealt to the unit or the unit is handled wrong, the stored person runs and extremely high chance of death.

Stasis is very idiot proof, is something goes wrong with the stasis pod you wake up undamaged and can either choose to fix it or live out the rest of your life at that point.

Comment

another weird thing of living forever ore a very long time like the guold
                      in you nose and ears are the only places ware the growth hormone is still active till your are dead. So if you live to 10.000 years you cant fit to the doors because you look like Dombo(Disney)
                      sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
                        another weird thing of living forever ore a very long time like the guold
                        in you nose and ears are the only places ware the growth hormone is still active till your are dead. So if you live to 10.000 years you cant fit to the doors because you look like Dombo(Disney)
                        Well, they think the growth hormone is active 'till you're dead. Maybe it's only active until you're 150 (arbitrary number), which we haven't been able to test because no one lives that long....

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                          I will agree with you partially, ofc the matter and energy has to go past the beam array but that dosnt necessarily mean it gets stored there for any amount of time, I am personally inclined to believe that all it does is recieve the matter and energy and then send it to its destination. This doesnt have to involve any storing not even for the smallest amount of time, I base this on how the ancient teleportation works.
                          The thing here is that the ship with the technology, first initiates the transport beaming. It beams the 'target material' up from the surface, then sends it to the destination.

First it breaks it down, brings it up to the ship, sends it to the target & then puts it back together again at the new location.

There has to be a buffer doing some major storage on the ship, even if only for a micro-second before sending it to the new location. Which considering how advanced the Asgard comoputer are shouldn't be any problem at all for them, which it may be for the SGC using their own tech.

Simple, its a very energy ineffecient and dangerous storing method, if at any point power is lost, physical damage is dealt to the unit or the unit is handled wrong, the stored person runs and extremely high chance of death.

Stasis is very idiot proof, is something goes wrong with the stasis pod you wake up undamaged and can either choose to fix it or live out the rest of your life at that point.
                          If Lanteans were using their generators or ZPM's, then I don't think power loss would be the sort of problem that they would worry about. While they could house it in a toughend enclosure or whatever to offer it a great deal of protection.

Depending on the problem encountered a stasis pod could kill you just as easily as waking you up & alerting you to the problem. Look at 'Lifeboat' as an example of this.

I guess the single biggest reason that they didn't try something along the lines of that which the Wraith use, is that they didn't intend on being kept inside one for the long haul. So a short stay in a stasis pod was nothing to worry about.

I'd imagine if they thought any Lantean would end up living in one for 10,000 years, then they may have made alterations to it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                            Ok I have a question

Stargate Atlantis season 3 episode 16 'The Ark'
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                              Stargate Atlantis season 3 episode 16 'The Ark'
                              Well that was Wraith gear, Asgard tech works on a different level so the teo really cannot be compared. So there really isn't anything known whether it can store it for long periods or not. I'd imagine it would be able to do it, although doubt we will ever see it on screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X