This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate dailling?

I was just watching Atlantis - The seige part2, and it got me thinking. When a stargate is dialled the chevrons 'lock' then it goes whoosh (my very technical description of the blue bit). But, in 'the seige'*
    Spoiler:
    they start dialling out but the SGC dails in before they get the chance
    , so, if someones dialling you there must be a delay from when the stargate at the transmitting end goes whoosh and the stargate at the receving end goes whoosh, the receiving gate can't know your dilling them untill you've done it. Ive just always got the impression that theres no delay in the two whooshes. Am i wrong?

*I put in spoilers, what seasons do you have to use spoilers for??
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

probably just a plot hole. There are a lot of them regarding dialing. As for the Whoosh. It is officially called the Kawoosh.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      probably just a plot hole. There are a lot of them regarding dialing. As for the Whoosh. It is officially called the Kawoosh.
      cool.
      I knew it wasn't called a Whoosh, just couldn't think what it was called..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
        I was just watching Atlantis - The seige part2, and it got me thinking. When a stargate is dialled the chevrons 'lock' then it goes whoosh (my very technical description of the blue bit). But, in 'the seige'*
        Spoiler:
        they start dialling out but the SGC dails in before they get the chance
        , so, if someones dialling you there must be a delay from when the stargate at the transmitting end goes whoosh and the stargate at the receving end goes whoosh, the receiving gate can't know your dilling them untill you've done it. Ive just always got the impression that theres no delay in the two whooshes. Am i wrong?

*I put in spoilers, what seasons do you have to use spoilers for??
        i wouls use spoiler for most recent seasons like season 10 or if in a season 10 thread i would use spoliers for any current episode that has to be talked about regarding previous episodes in season 10 or future episodes of season 10.....lol got that !!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          i wouls use spoiler for most recent seasons like season 10 or if in a season 10 thread i would use spoliers for any current episode that has to be talked about regarding previous episodes in season 10 or future episodes of season 10.....lol got that !!!
          just about lol

sigpic

Comment

I would imagine that it is first come, first served. Or in this case, the faster dialer gets the wormhole. But isn't the SGC gate dial slow compared to all other gates? How did they beat the Atlantis gate? Who knows.

: Green is Good.
            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Dialing from earth to Atlantis is an eight symbol address -- until you've entered the seventh shevron and its not the point of origin the gate doesn't know your dialing long distance -- therefore earth (dialing in) could beat the Atlantis gate dialing out because they only need to hit one button (point of origin) after the gates recognize each other. Where as a local dialing you can see another gate dialing in and try to beat them (Tokra Part 2) it don't work the same way with long distance dialing, you cant see another gate dialing in till they hit the seventh shevron -- pretty hard to beat them before they hit the final eighth shevron. It's sort of like hitting "1" last for long distance instead of first on a telephone.

To put it more directly, bottom line whoever locks the point of origin first opens the gate, but with an eight symbol address you can't tell someone is dialing in until they hit the seventh symbol.
              Last edited by turbo1889; 01 May 2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                I would imagine that it is first come, first served. Or in this case, the faster dialer gets the wormhole. But isn't the SGC gate dial slow compared to all other gates? How did they beat the Atlantis gate? Who knows.
                Walter has been dialing the gate for 10 years, he's probably got a few tricks up his sleve to out dial anyone else
                "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith View Post
                  Walter has been dialing the gate for 10 years, he's probably got a few tricks up his sleve to out dial anyone else
                  Then why has it been sam that came up with the 'speed dialer' program..

Comment

Sam created it because they had to beat Sokar's dialling speed to stop him heating up the iris with his particle weapon thing. Also, I don't think Walter was in work that day.

I was kidding about Walter being a speed dialler btw
                    "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

or as simple as earth started first. I think the other gate wont activate until the full address is in- other wise all gates that uses the first symbol will have there first chevron lighting up. heh, that will annoy everyone at the SGC - "unscheduled of world - no wait false alarm"

Comment

Stargate dialling is like dialling a phone number, it doesnt connect and whoosh until the full address has been entered. if you have 2 phones dialling each others numbers at the same time whichever presses the connect button first wins. i would imagine stargates would work in a similar way.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
                          or as simple as earth started first. I think the other gate wont activate until the full address is in- other wise all gates that uses the first symbol will have there first chevron lighting up. heh, that will annoy everyone at the SGC - "unscheduled of world - no wait false alarm"
                          That's exactly what started to happen in the SG-1 episode "Tokra Part 2". The gate in question was an off world gate on a planet that had a Tokra base on it, yet we have never seen it happen at the SGC gate -- I see only two possibilities:

1. The SGC gate doesn't have a DHD instead it has a human based interface -- to put it bluntly the thing is jeiry rigged.
                          2. The planet in question was a Tokra base perhaps the Tokra reprogramed the gate on their planet to show even partial dialings in real time in order to have advanced warning to "run and hide" -- more false alarms yes but I suppose the Tokra would just consider them to be drills. I could see them doing it -- their perinoid enough (and with good reason).

Comment

Working...
                          X