This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phase tech

if you phased things out, like a house or planet, wouldnt it fall through the ground or outta orbit??

no it just phases into another demension.

So, technically its there but not really.
    Visit my Website

Comment

Its Sci Fi its not ment to make sense. You're looking too deeply into it.
      "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

plus the sun is capable of many things, manipulating wormholes for time travel and all that jazz, im sure it can have its gravitational pole shift into a few other dimensions
        I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Phase a planet: In the Stargate-verse, there are 4(?) dimensions, forces of nature like gravity, wind/air, light, etc. impact all dimensions.

Phase a house/person: It should fall through, probably until it reaches the mantle, or maybe even the center of the Earth. It doesn't make sense that phased people can walk through walls, but don't fall through floors. I think they even joke about it not making sense on the show in "Wormhole Xtreme."
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Okay the power consumption of the mantle seems to be quite a bit, it would take at least 3 naquida generators to phase out an entire Village. One naquida generator can be used to activate a stargate. You just have to spin the ring manually. They said in one of the episodes that the stargate program had a few million dollars worth of an electric bill
            Spoiler:
            Then how come in THE ROAD NOT TAKEN it only took like 80% of the United States power to phase the entire planet. It seems to me that phasing all that rock and water and air would draw more power then just the United States could produce. I mean the device has to stay connected to all of the molecules at once. I am sure it was never designed to be used on such a large scale anyway.

We should duplicate the mantle and give one to atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
              Okay the power consumption of the mantle seems to be quite a bit, it would take at least 3 naquida generators to phase out an entire Village. One naquida generator can be used to activate a stargate. You just have to spin the ring manually. They said in one of the episodes that the stargate program had a few million dollars worth of an electric bill
              Spoiler:
              Then how come in THE ROAD NOT TAKEN it only took like 80% of the United States power to phase the entire planet. It seems to me that phasing all that rock and water and air would draw more power then just the United States could produce. I mean the device has to stay connected to all of the molecules at once. I am sure it was never designed to be used on such a large scale anyway.

We should duplicate the mantle and give one to atlantis
              Spoiler:
              We don't know how much had been done to modify the power system in the United States since they had to go public when Anubis attacked earth. They could verywell be using naquadah generators to power the United States. They didn't explain that part of it.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

They said that it costs millions just to turn the lights on................my guess is they don't use energy efficient light bulbs. lol.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

one thing that always bothered me about phase shifting, people can walk through walls so why dont they fall through the floor?

Comment

I think that a planet and its gravity somehow permeate all of these dimensions so when you phase into another dimension the gravity of that planet is still affecting you to a point so you don`t just go floating off the planet.

Not falling through the floor is a bit more difficult to explain.

Its just one of those scifi concepts that doesn`t really make scientific sense and should just be accepted as a slightly flawed plot device.

Comment

ok how about the planet exsists like it is today in more then one dimension, and then there is a dimension just like ours with no planets and then the device is keeping parts of us halfway in both. That way somethings we interact with out of phase are solid and others arent. This would keep most things true i think?

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
                        ok how about the planet exsists like it is today in more then one dimension, and then there is a dimension just like ours with no planets and then the device is keeping parts of us halfway in both. That way somethings we interact with out of phase are solid and others arent. This would keep most things true i think?
                        Its a good idea but one has to wonder how it is determined what things remain solid.
                        If I understand you correctly you are saying that the planet is in more than one dimension but anything that is on that planet - buildings, people, etc - are just in one dimension.
                        Only problem is that we have seen someone out of phase running through trees. Unless trees count as on that planet rather than a part of it.
                        Does this mean that you wouldn`t be able to walk through mountains?

Hopefully we will see some episodes containing phase shifting in SGA S4 or SGU and some of these questions will be explained.

But I think your theory about the planet being in all dimensions and the objects on that planet only being in one is as good as any others we have heard.

Comment

Working...
                        X