X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate questions

Hi,

Here in the UK, Sky are re-running SG-1 (2 per day) from the beginning and two things have become apparent...

1) Why didn't the original gate builders think about a "Last Address Redial" function for the DHD? Surely they had regular communications devices at some point in their history.

2) With the iris closed on SG-1's gate where does the energy go when something fails to materialize. E=mc2. The energy required to represent the matter is it's mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. If the iris is closed where does all that energy go if the object fails to materialize. It is stated in "Children of the Gods", that the iris is made of titanium and I doubt it would be able to absorb that amount of energy generated by an incoming object. The "Conservation of Energy" law prevents the energy from being lost so it must go somewhere, so where?

The gate probably absorbs it i mean it is a superconductor, and the last address thing is not doubt a safety feature.

Comment

Originally posted by richardcrossley View Post
      Hi,

Here in the UK, Sky are re-running SG-1 (2 per day) from the beginning and two things have become apparent...

1) Why didn't the original gate builders think about a "Last Address Redial" function for the DHD? Surely they had regular communications devices at some point in their history.

2) With the iris closed on SG-1's gate where does the energy go when something fails to materialize. E=mc2. The energy required to represent the matter is it's mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. If the iris is closed where does all that energy go if the object fails to materialize. It is stated in "Children of the Gods", that the iris is made of titanium and I doubt it would be able to absorb that amount of energy generated by an incoming object. The "Conservation of Energy" law prevents the energy from being lost so it must go somewhere, so where?
      1) The Ancients probably know how to get incredible readings from the Stargate, I mean..they invented it. I bet get a Ancient version of Carter to look at a DHD she could maybe get the exact address for last 100 addresses or something like that.We are very young and don't know everything about the gates or DHDs.

2)The Stargate has massive capacitors and itself as a superconductor or something like that as Marty stated. (you always beat me to new thread )

3) Welcome to Gateworld Forums richardcrossley! Hope you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
        1) The Ancients probably know how to get incredible readings from the Stargate, I mean..they invented it. I bet get a Ancient version of Carter to look at a DHD she could maybe get the exact address for last 100 addresses or something like that.We are very young and don't know everything about the gates or DHDs.

2)The Stargate has massive capacitors and itself as a superconductor or something like that as Marty stated. (you always beat me to new thread )

3) Welcome to Gateworld Forums richardcrossley! Hope you like it.
        LOL

Comment

On the storage thing, the energy is unable to rematerialise, so it is stored in the buffer, which is then wiped everytime the gate is dialled.
          Disliked a recent episode?
          Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
          The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

The stargate does not and I repeat not convert matter to energy it just deconstructs the matter and sends a matter stream to the other gate together with an energy pattern for reconstructing the matter into its former shape.

Energy has no problems traveling through the Iris but matter gets stopped as it cannot rematerialise into a full shape between the event horizon and the iris. When the matter arrives at a gate with an iris the individual atoms hit the iris and scatters thus there is no problems with conservation of energy and the Iris should not have problems withstanding the hits by the single atoms.

Comment

With the iris closed on SG-1's gate where does the energy go when something fails to materialize. E=mc2..... The "Conservation of Energy" law prevents the energy from being lost so it must go somewhere, so where?
              Its transformed into the "thud" sound

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

Yes I am enjoying the site and the show.

Cheers.

Comment

In Stargate Atlantis:

If the Ancients were the builders of Stargates, why we didn't see any episode that it shows to us how they were building Stargates?

I think it would be interesting to see it...

Comment

Originally posted by Tanis View Post
                    In Stargate Atlantis:

If the Ancients were the builders of Stargates, why we didn't see any episode that it shows to us how they were building Stargates?

I think it would be interesting to see it...
                    That would be cool. I imagine it being some kind of giant puzzle!

And

1) They probably had something like that, but maybe we just cant figure it out yet. Also then again the ancients were pretty smart that maybe they didnt need redial? And by redial do you mean the last address that dialed in or redialing the last address they dialed?

Welcome to GateWorld!
                    sigpic
                    Awesome sig by Laura
                    "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
                    Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Salamas View Post
                      That would be cool. I imagine it being some kind of giant puzzle!

And

1) They probably had something like that, but maybe we just cant figure it out yet. Also then again the ancients were pretty smart that maybe they didnt need redial? And by redial do you mean the last address that dialed in or redialing the last address they dialed?

Welcome to GateWorld!
                      Welcome U2!!!

Comment

I thought
                        Spoiler:
                        that the Quest part 2 showed that they did have something like this, not so much a redial, but the DHD stored the last addresses dialed. That's how Adria found them.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                        X