This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCI FI Ratings Drop

The ratings are down. That is a fact. Why are they down? I suggest that they are down in North America because most of the hardcore Stargate fans have already seen the episodes. I remember seeing over 50,000 seeds and leechers downloading SG-1 episodes after they had been shown here in Canada and the UK. Looking at the download sites to see how many people download a new episode is a good way to tell whether or not a show is popular. SG-1 and SGA, when new episodes are shown are typically at the top of the lists!

Bottom line, the more downloading there is, the more the ratings go down, but this doesn't mean that Stargate isn't on top!

Ehm, fact is that those sites are hundreds, even thousands from other countires. It's not JUST Americans. I'm sure it could affect the ratings slightly, but hardly a 30% drop. Keep in mind that the 1st half was already down from last season, and I hardly see downloading as the reason there. Also "The Quest part 2" pretty much kept up with the ratings from the 1st half of the season. It's a very popular show worldwide, and some countries doesn't even show it, or are very far behind (Sweden for me, only in S3!)...so therefore the big seeders/leechers.

Comment

You know what I find kind of amusing? If the ratings are down, people make up excuses and dismiss the numbers as "inaccurate," but if the ratings go way up, people pat themselves on the back and crow about how popular the show still is and how it never should have been cancelled, blah blah blah.

Funny double standard, dontcha think?

Comment

sg1 isn't what it used to be people need to accept that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          You know what I find kind of amusing? If the ratings are down, people make up excuses and dismiss the numbers as "inaccurate," but if the ratings go way up, people pat themselves on the back and crow about how popular the show still is and how it never should have been cancelled, blah blah blah.

Yes, but you have admitted that you wanted the ratings to go down to "give tptb something to think about" (Wow, what a loyal fan!)

You must be giving yourself a pat on the back now, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Saul Tigh View Post
            sg1 isn't what it used to be people need to accept that.
            You know who says if a show is still what it used to be? Fans. And it seems alot of people still like the show. You don't think it's what it used to be, fine. Whatever. But if some people still think it IS what it used to be, then it still IS what it used to be, because those people like it. Wether you come here and say it isn't or not.

I think that had this been the first run of the episodes, it WOULD have matched last weeks. TBH SG-1s don't matter much now, but Atlantis' do. Still, Atlantis aren't lower than BSGs (who got some 1.2s, and even down to a 0.9) and it got renewed. And, it wasn't readily available for everyone on the net like Atlantis was. Atlantis deserves a s5, no matter what a few anti-s here say. If the pro Atlantis people want a s5, would the people who no longer watch it wish it would be cancelled, because that is really sad, and spiteful.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
              (Wow, what a loyal fan!)
              Sticking around on a forum for a show you continue to watch, even though you feel the quality has dropped. Well... yes, that is what I call a loyal fan. I'm curious, what would you say was loyal?

As for the ratings dropping because of downloads, no. Sorry, but SG1 always premieres in the UK for its second half (last year was the only exception) and SGA premieres its second half in Canada, so that is far from a valid excuse, not to mention the fact that it ignores the way in which the ratings are gathered.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                Yes, but you have admitted that you wanted the ratings to go down to "give tptb something to think about" (Wow, what a loyal fan!)
                Actually, what I said was that I hope they lost sleep over the ratings, but between your wording and this thread it makes me realize that such a hope was a bit silly of me since TPTB, much like the fans, will never admit that the ratings are falling. And if they do, it'll be because of a variety of factors that has nothing to do with the quality of the stories and has everything to do with those damn downloaders and those meany-heads at Skiffy and probably the fact that Mercury's in retrograde or that the winds were North-Northwest instead of Southerly, but admit that fans may be leaving because they aren't interested anymore? Nay! The only ones "abandoning" the show are those close-minded idiots who can't accept change! The show is probably better off without them.

The thing is, I can't accept the idea that the fall in ratings is due to people downloading eps. If people are online and are net-savvy enough to find illegal methods of seeing eps, chances are they're also involved in online fandom- or that they at least have enough understanding of things to know that crackers ratings matter. They might watch eps illegally, but if they're a Nielsen Family and they love the show (and they must if they can't wait through the hiatus to see the eps) then they're going to be dang sure to tune in when it airs on TV.

I suppose it's possible that there are some Nielsen people out there who are savvy enough to obtain eps illegally and only care about instant gratification and thus won't bother to have their "vote" count when the eps air on TV, but I can't imagine the percentage would be a very large one, certainly not large enough to have such a significant impact on the ratings.

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                Sticking around on a forum for a show you continue to watch, even though you feel the quality has dropped. Well... yes, that is what I call a loyal fan. I'm curious, what would you say was loyal?
                Ahhh, but herein lies a grain of truth: I'm no longer watching on a regular basis; I pick and choose which eps to watch based on the storyline (and sometimes characters). Thus, I'm not a loyal fan. Plus the fact that I voice any complaints or take issue with anything about the show proves that I'm not a "true" fan. A TRUE fan accepts everything, loves everything and watches everything without question. Anyone else doesn't even deserve to post on the forum.

But why would anyone listen to me? According to Joe Mallozzi I'm just a waste of oxygen and never have anything nice to say about the show. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post

As for the ratings dropping because of downloads, no. Sorry, but SG1 always premieres in the UK for its second half (last year was the only exception) and SGA premieres its second half in Canada, so that is far from a valid excuse, not to mention the fact that it ignores the way in which the ratings are gathered.
                  I would call a loyal fan someone who does not hope that the ratings take a big hit just for vindictive reasons against writers/producers despite those people who would suffer from a loss in ratings (the fans). Sorry, but staying on a site and sniping/*****ing about the show doesn't give people credability concerning being a fan in my book.

Usually the UK gets it a week or two before the US. Being forced to wait months and the crappy advertising sci fi does are IMO, at least a slight factor. Joe said it himself, Chris Judge was asked when season 8 or 9 started once while he was at a convention. His reply was something along the lines of 'Umm, last week.' Says it all about the advertising to me. And people who go to conventions don't tend to just be general viewers, these are the people who likely watch out for ads.

Concerning the argument of a drop in quality, Return and Quest got 1.4 nd 1.5 respectively, and are widely regarded as great episodes(The Quest as one of the best of season 10), so why would 30% tune out for another week of great episodes after seeing those two? I myself can't put this down to quality.

Someone also said that seeing 50,000 people downloading the eps after they aired abroad was not accurate as it would be hardly any Americans. Two things:

1. 50,000 people was at THAT time. THAT second. There would have been ALOT more than that.
                  2. Americans are robbed of the right of seeing Stargate for a while. Do you really think there would be many, in this day and age, that waited?

Comment

Agreed, I just can't see how downloaders have that much of an effect on ratings for the reasons that people have stated above. It may be relatively common among internet fandom, but I don't think that mainstream USA torrents eps.

Anyone who states that downloading is definitely having an effect on ratings is merely guessing and trying to pass their statements as truth. Truth is, the numbers are not available for downloading and there are no polls asking people about their downloading and viewing habits. Take any such statements, even from TPTB, with a grain of salt.

Comment

Actually, for Herb's credit, he didn't call them inaccurate because of Neilsen (your point is valid for those who claim that about the Neilsen ratings), but inaccurate on how many people are actually exposed to the show in the US.

The thing is, I can't accept the idea that the fall in ratings is due to people downloading eps. If people are online and are net-savvy enough to find illegal methods of seeing eps, chances are they're also involved in online fandom-
                      ...Sorry, not true. There's a differnece between wanting to watch the show without having to wait and being an anorak who actually gives away time to discussion the show. I should know - I follow the US/ UK transmitions, as are quite a number of other people I know - and yet, out of all the people I know who watched it - or any other show I know and follow the UK/ US trasmitions of, I'm the only one to participate in online fandom. Yes, some of the downloaders - prolly quite a large percentage of them - are part of online fandom. But I don't believe for one second it's the majority.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Actually, what I said was that I hope they lost sleep over the ratings, but between your wording and this thread it makes me realize that such a hope was a bit silly of me since TPTB, much like the fans, will never admit that the ratings are falling. And if they do, it'll be because of a variety of factors that has nothing to do with the quality of the stories and has everything to do with those damn downloaders and those meany-heads at Skiffy and probably the fact that Mercury's in retrograde or that the winds were North-Northwest instead of Southerly, but admit that fans may be leaving because they aren't interested anymore? Nay! The only ones "abandoning" the show are those close-minded idiots who can't accept change! The show is probably better off without them.
                        How else was I supposed to take it? You said you wanted the ratings to drop. There is no 'nice' way of saying that. You can hardly now claim it wasn't meant to be a 'bad' comment. If tptb lose sleep over ratings, then you can bet the fans willfeel twice as bad.

The thing is, I can't accept the idea that the fall in ratings is due to people downloading eps. If people are online and are net-savvy enough to find illegal methods of seeing eps, chances are they're also involved in online fandom- or that they at least have enough understanding of things to know that crackers ratings matter. They might watch eps illegally, but if they're a Nielsen Family and they love the show (and they must if they can't wait through the hiatus to see the eps) then they're going to be dang sure to tune in when it airs on TV.
                        Come on Shadow, surely you don't think the only people who download episodes are the fans who join up to forums like this one.

Seriously though, I would put money on alot of the people who are 'just' regular viewers downloading episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                          ...Sorry, not true. There's a differnece between wanting to watch the show without having to wait and being an anorak who actually gives away time to discussion the show. I should know - I follow the US/ UK transmitions, as are quite a number of other people I know - and yet, out of all the people I know who watched it - or any other show I know and follow the UK/ US trasmitions of, I'm the only one to participate in online fandom. Yes, some of the downloaders - prolly quite a large percentage of them - are part of online fandom. But I don't believe for one second it's the majority.
                          Anorak? OK, so maybe it was a faulty assumption that downloaders participate in online fandom, but is there any feeling that a large percentage of downloaders are also Nielsen families (since they are the ones who "count" towards ratings) and that said Nielsen downloaders are only watching the eps online and aren't carrying through to watch eps when they air on TV?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the entire ratings concept. If Joe Fan downloads eps and doesn't watch them on TV and doesn't have a Nielsen box, does it have an effect on the overall ratings? Is there some system in place to gauge what everyone is watching regardless of whether or not they're a Nielsen family?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            Agreed, I just can't see how downloaders have that much of an effect on ratings for the reasons that people have stated above. It may be relatively common among internet fandom, but I don't think that mainstream USA torrents eps.

Anyone who states that downloading is definitely having an effect on ratings is merely guessing and trying to pass their statements as truth. Truth is, the numbers are not available for downloading and there are no polls asking people about their downloading and viewing habits. Take any such statements, even from TPTB, with a grain of salt.
                            And I cant agree with the people who say that the fact that the episodes have been online for like half a year has absolutely no reason to do with the fact that the ratings are down. Even if it was only 30 or 40% of he people who tuned out this week.

Comment

Anorak? OK, so maybe it was a faulty assumption that downloaders participate in online fandom, but is there any feeling that a large percentage of downloaders are also Nielsen families (since they are the ones who "count" towards ratings) and that said Nielsen downloaders are only watching the eps online and aren't carrying through to watch eps when they air on TV?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the entire ratings concept. If Joe Fan downloads eps and doesn't watch them on TV and doesn't have a Nielsen box, does it have an effect on the overall ratings? Is there some system in place to gauge what everyone is watching regardless of whether or not they're a Nielsen family?
                              There is nothing to say that the Nielson families download. At the same time, there is nothing to say they don't. Some say that we are guessing that downloads effect ratings, but in this day and age, when practically every family has some sort of access to a computer if they have a TV, we could just as easily say that the others are guessing that they don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X