This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THX 1138 Re-release

THX 1138 has FINALLY be released to DVD. This is one of my favorite movies, and started bouncing up and down like a manic when I found out!!

The feature film is an extention of George Lucas's college movie with the same name. It's an amazing film. It has Robert Duvall and a few other familiar faces. It's a little slow to the "ray guns and violence" scifi fan because it deals with mind control, conspiracies and things of that sort of nature.

I recommend it!!!

Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out someday
    Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

I've heard good things about it. Something for my Christmas list then.

Madeleine

Comment

Oh, hello.

The DVD also includes the original student version of the film.

If you watch this movie carefully, you'll see a lot of stuff that's been reused in the various Star Wars movies.

Comment

What's it about?

Comment

THX-1138 came in the mail today, and I had enough time to watch it for the first time in several years. First of all, I think Lucas went a little overboard on the CGI, although I suppose that comes as no surprise to anyone who saw the Star Wars Special Editions. Many of the less obvious alterations (the kind you have to do a scene by scene comparison on) are very nice, and it's clear that they were previously limited by budget/technology constraints.

The R-rating only makes sense in the context of Lucas' family friendly image. A couple scenes of nudity and some violence could easily skate by with a PG or PG-13 rating, tops, but I think Lucas probably requested the R rating to prevent unwary families from accidentally picking it up to show to the Star Wars loving kiddies who would promptly fall asleep during the first 10 minutes or so.

Anyone who loves hard sci-fi with a darkly humorous edge should definitely check it out.
            END OF LINE

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
              THX 1138 has FINALLY be released to DVD. This is one of my favorite movies, and started bouncing up and down like a manic when I found out!!

The feature film is an extention of George Lucas's college movie with the same name. It's an amazing film. It has Robert Duvall and a few other familiar faces. It's a little slow to the "ray guns and violence" scifi fan because it deals with mind control, conspiracies and things of that sort of nature.

I recommend it!!!

Never heard of it. imdb.com says it's from 1972 and was Lucas' first real film. I gotta check it out! Thanks!

Comment

Yes, definately check it out. It's not a film for everyone's tastes, but I loved it. (of course I haven't seen it in many years, I am going to check out the new DVD myself.)

If I recall correctly, when Lucas was in film school, he made a short called 'Electric Labrynth', and used that as his basis for THX 1138, the first film he ever made. It's like 500 years in the future, where everyone are drug-enduced drones, with numbers for names, losing all individuality. Not wanting to give anything away (and the fact that I haven't seen it in like 15 years!), I will leave it at that

Also, it inspired the name for the THX sound and such you see at your local movie theatres, a company founded by Lucas.
                O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
                Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Working...
                X