PDA

View Full Version : Season 5 To Be or Not to Be?

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
With the news about the less than spectacular ratings for season 3's Return part 2 many of us are wondering about season 5. This is a place to discuss if we think it will be a reality or not. Personally I don't think the ratings are bad enough not to and so far neither does JM. I am thinking the less than spectacular return is do to the long wait and people not realizing it was on. Personally I hope it lasts many more seasons.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I hope it lasts more seasons as well. However it relies heavily on ratings, so we will need to try and bring more viewers to the network, and particularly the shows.

Steve_the_Wraith
April 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
It all depends on if Sci Fi have other high rated shows to replace it. If as a channel the ratings for atlantis stay high in relation to the other shows then I think chances are good. Since overall, the ratings for all Sci Fi show's are lowering than last year I think it'll be ok.

Afterall what will Sci Fi replace it with, Painkiller Jane?

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
It all depends on if Sci Fi have other high rated shows to replace it. If as a channel the ratings for atlantis stay high in relation to the other shows then I think chances are good. Since overall, the ratings for all Sci Fi show's are lowering than last year I think it'll be ok.

Afterall what will Sci Fi replace it with, Painkiller Jane?

Something tells me that won't happen. Rather it would be put together as a "SCI FI Friday" lineup.

Wraith_Boy
April 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
With the news about the less than spectacular ratings for season 3's Return part 2 many of us are wondering about season 5. This is a place to discuss if we think it will be a reality or not. Personally I don't think the ratings are bad enough not to and so far neither does JM. I am thinking the less than spectacular return is do to the long wait and people not realizing it was on. Personally I hope it lasts many more seasons.

I think it's a bit premature to be speculating on anything at this point!

It's only been 1 ep since the comeback, after something like 7 months out. Chances are they will pick up again shortly. Most people probably didn't even know they were coming back I'd bet. So ratings will probably improve in time.

As to S5, I don't think that will be dependent on anything to do with S3, Skiffy probably know that the shows will take a knock after being off the air for so long. In past seasons they have given word about renewals nearer the end of the year.

So depending on when it airs, then it may need a trong start to S4 because it may only have a few eps of which to convice them it's worthy of a renewal. Which will be incredibly harder to do given SG-1 will no longer be alongside it!

Another thing that went very favourably in Atlantis favour was the low season ratings for their BSG baby. Therefore I think it'd be insane to not renew something when the new season hasn't even aired first. Especially since you were the only reasons for keeping it off the air so long.

They may be stupid but I don't think they are that stupid!

Barnzy
April 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
long live stargate atlantis. when sg1 finishes in the u.s. the ratings might improve, you never know
:sheppard: :mckay: :weir: :ronan: :teyla: :beckett:

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
The word just needs to get out on the shows.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE]I think it's a bit premature to be speculating on anything at this point!

It's only been 1 ep since the comeback, after something like 7 months out. Chances are they will pick up again shortly. Most people probably didn't even know they were coming back I'd bet. So ratings will probably improve in time.
Not really. Speculation about the end of SG-1 started pretty much right at the start of season 10 when ratings dropped. I agree that it will should pick up though.

As to S5, I don't think that will be dependent on anything to do with S3, Skiffy probably know that the shows will take a knock after being off the air for so long. In past seasons they have given word about renewals nearer the end of the year.
True though it's different this year. With the year round stuff they are doing the season will be completly filmed by the time of airing so ratings of season 4 won't have much to do with season 5.

So depending on when it airs, then it may need a trong start to S4 because it may only have a few eps of which to convice them it's worthy of a renewal. Which will be incredibly harder to do given SG-1 will no longer be alongside it!
It might be tough but not tough enough to put the show in danger.

Another thing that went very favourably in Atlantis favour was the low season ratings for their BSG baby. Therefore I think it'd be insane to not renew something when the new season hasn't even aired first. Especially since you were the only reasons for keeping it off the air so long.
And that is still in it's favor with BSG's ratings plummeting.

I don't know about that, Skiffy is pretty stupid.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Something tells me that won't happen. Rather it would be put together as a "SCI FI Friday" lineup.

Agreed. Painkiler Jane IMO is not that good though. Can't see it lasting a season.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Agreed. Painkiler Jane IMO is not that good though. Can't see it lasting a season.

Perhaps. I haven't seen it. The network does need more shows to fill in the timeslots. Hopefully we can bring the ratings of both SG-1 and Atlantis up to the point where they beat out everything else on the network.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Perhaps. I haven't seen it. The network does need more shows to fill in the timeslots. Hopefully we can bring the ratings of both SG-1 and Atlantis up to the point where they beat out everything else on the network.

It's pretty bad and hard to follow tough I'll give it a fair chance, and yes they need more shows but it's very hard to come up with good family quality shows like SG-1 and SGA.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM
It's pretty bad and hard to follow tough I'll give it a fair chance, and yes they need more shows but it's very hard to come up with good family quality shows like SG-1 and SGA.

There is a supposed spin-off of BSG in the works meant to be a family show. However, I don't get the concept of it at all. To be honest, I don't watch BSG.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
There is a supposed spin-off of BSG in the works meant to be a family show. However, I don't get the concept of it at all. To be honest, I don't watch BSG.

I think it's been canned with the lack of support to BSG by fans. BSG has become nothing but a sex filled violent fest.

Trek_Girl42
April 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
No, it's not meant to be a family show, it's meant to be a show about a family. :P Loads of people got confused over that.

And it's off the board for the moment, SCI-FI isn't doing anything with it for now.

flynn1959
April 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think there is any chance it will make it to a season five. I really think four will struggle then sink without a trace. So many people are really unhappy with all of the changes and like myself have given up on the show. With the addition of the dreaded 'C' word for next season Atlantis is doomed, imo.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I think it's been canned with the lack of support to BSG by fans. BSG has become nothing but a sex filled violent fest.

Same can be said about other shows as well. The O.C. is one example. I used to watch it when I was younger, but eventually got sick of it.

As long as good, quality promotion of the show is accomplished, as well as print advertising and other methods, Atlantis can continue to succeed.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I don't think there is any chance it will make it to a season five. I really think four will struggle then sink without a trace. So many people are really unhappy with all of the changes and like myself have given up on the show. With the addition of the dreaded 'C' word for next season Atlantis is doomed, imo.

Well I respect your opinion but disagree. I don't think season 4 will struggle as much as you think and I think that while alot are unhappy most will give season 4 a chance. IMO it has great potential to reach season 5 or beyond.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Well I respect your opinion but disagree. I don't think season 4 will struggle as much as you think and I think that while alot are unhappy most will give season 4 a chance. IMO it has great potential to reach season 5 or beyond.

Including now more character-centric episodes, the new season should go much better than others in the past.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Including now more character-centric episodes, the new season should go much better than others in the past.

Well the first three seasons have been very good IMO and this seems to indicate that the show will be getting even better.

Uber
April 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think there will be a Season 5 for a few reasons.

One is that the SciFi channel will want bragging rights for SGA's 100th episode. Two I think that they have been making some pretty bad decisions lately regarding programming and kind of counting their chickens before they're hatched. I think they'll almost need to keep SGA on the air for a 5th season if only to seem kinda relevant and be taken seriously in any way as a sci fi network.

Three...I think the changes I'm seeing happening are exciting...and no, I don't just mean the fact that my favorite character will be moved into a new and exciting role. I'm seeing them planning on taking more chances with the characters and storylines and delve further into backstories and such. Each character will get more focus and I think there's a lot of potential with the new mix and chemistry that will form as a result of the changes.

I think it's possible that the changes will translate into better ratings but a lot is dependent on the SciFi network...and that makes me nervous. I mean it could be gold and still not be renewed because of other factors. So again I'm hoping that greed and the need to seem like a legitimate network will factor in and make them choose to renew for a fifth season.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
What could certainly make Season 5 a must-want for fans would be a return of Beckett full-time.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=ÜberSG-1Fan;6583472]I think there will be a Season 5 for a few reasons.

One is that the SciFi channel will want bragging rights for SGA's 100th episode. Two I think that they have been making some pretty bad decisions lately regarding programming and kind of counting their chickens before they're hatched. I think they'll almost need to keep SGA on the air for a 5th season if only to seem kinda relevant and be taken seriously in any way as a sci fi network.
Agreed. They will want bragging rights plus syndication rights, also the orriginal programming other than the SG shows suck.

Three...I think the changes I'm seeing happening are exciting...and no, I don't just mean the fact that my favorite character will be moved into a new and exciting role. I'm seeing them planning on taking more chances with the characters and storylines and delve further into backstories and such. Each character will get more focus and I think there's a lot of potential with the new mix and chemistry that will form as a result of the changes.
Agreed. Mixing it up abit could be very interesting.

I think it's possible that the changes will translate into better ratings but a lot is dependent on the SciFi network...and that makes me nervous. I mean it could be gold and still not be renewed because of other factors. So again I'm hoping that greed and the need to seem like a legitimate network will factor in and make them choose to renew for a fifth season.
The only thing I see endangering it is MGM asking for a lot of money which I don't see. The only other thing I see is that I don't get how ratings will play a part here with the year round programming and the entire season being filmed by air date they will almost likely have to make a decision before then.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
What could certainly make Season 5 a must-want for fans would be a return of Beckett full-time.

Indeed.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Indeed.

Yes, very much indeed. It may be in the realm of possibility now.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yes, very much indeed. It may be in the realm of possibility now.

I hope so.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I hope so.

What I would like to know, is if they would change the opening credits to be a little more like how it was in Season 1.

Trek_Girl42
April 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
The 100 episode mark is definitely a big factor in our favour. To claim to have two series of the same franchise with that episode mark is something SCI-FI would definitely like to have. :D

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The 100 episode mark is definitely a big factor in our favour. To claim to have two series of the same franchise with that episode mark is something SCI-FI would definitely like to have. :D

Agreed. They seem to love records.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed. They seem to love records.

If the record brings more attention to the SCIFI channel, then they would certainly welcome it.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
If the record brings more attention to the SCIFI channel, then they would certainly welcome it.

Yeah but IMO I want anything related to SG away from scifi, but that could be just as bad.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah but IMO I want anything related to SG away from scifi, but that could be just as bad.

With regards to the third series, I would prefer it to be shown via first-run syndication.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
With regards to the third series, I would prefer it to be shown via first-run syndication.

Unforunatly it would have to reach 5 seasons first, so we would likely have to see it on scifi first.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Unforunatly it would have to reach 5 seasons first, so we would likely have to see it on scifi first.

What I am referring to is how ST:TNG and DS9 were shown back in the 80's and 90's.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
What I am referring to is how ST:TNG and DS9 were shown back in the 80's and 90's.

Oh got it sorry.

Trek_Girl42
April 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Well, there isn't really anywhere else to take it..... :rolleyes:

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Oh got it sorry.

That's okay. It would be really great to be able to see it that way. That way, more viewers in the US would have easier access to the show.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM

True. But if scifi cans SGA lets just say I'll go :jack_new_anime25: :daniel09: :samanime15: :tealcanime22: :sholva:

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
True. But if scifi cans SGA lets just say I'll go :jack_new_anime25: :daniel09: :samanime15: :tealcanime22: :sholva:

I would hope in that case, that MGM produces movies for Atlantis, like how they are doing for SG-1.

ToasterOnFire
April 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Okay, WAY too early to try and predict a s5...

Though I will be surprised if ratings rise substantially over the course of 3.5. Most likely things will stay as is or worse, drop. And no, I don't think the ratings will be affected by the first airing on Canada as Joe M likes to imply. The majority of average viewers have no idea that the season has already finished there - only "hardcore" fans download the show early and they're such a small percentage they have virtually no impact on the Nielsens.

It's going to come down to the long break, whether viewers are still interested in the show, and Friday night competition on other networks.

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Though I will be surprised if ratings rise substantially over the course of 3.5. Most likely things will stay as is or worse, drop. And no, I don't think the ratings will be affected by the first airing on Canada as Joe M likes to imply. The majority of average viewers have no idea that the season has already finished there - only "hardcore" fans download the show early and they're such a small percentage they have virtually no impact on the Nielsens.

It's going to come down to the long break, whether viewers are still interested in the show, and Friday night competition on other networks.

I feel that the other networks aren't worth paying attention to. If it was up to me, I'd keep a channel subscription to only a dozen or so networks.

Trek_Girl42
April 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I agree- the downloads are generally by fans who aren't even Neilson families to begin with. The channel doesn't give a crap about hardcore fans if they're not making money of the DVDs, they only care about the Neilson families, which is rather disappointing. Look at Eureka- not the kind of show that has the hardcore fan type, but it's a decent show that attracts regular/casual tv viewers ie. Neilson familes, which is why it does well. Atlantis on the otherhand, attracts the specific sci-fi fan viewers, a large number of whom are college/university age and aren't going to be a Neilson family. This is exactly the reason why I think BSG ratings are suffering as well- it's not that people aren't watching, it's just that the people who are watching aren't in a position to be Neilson families.

I feel that the other networks aren't worth paying attention to. If it was up to me, I'd keep a channel subscription to only a dozen or so networks.
I agree.....I only watch a very small number of channels on a regular basis- SPACE, Global, Sportsnet, CBC, and.....that's about it. :P

Platschu
April 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I am a pro-season 5 fan and I think everybody should wish here the same thing. More episode = more adventure = more fun = more life in the fandom. I would like to see the 100th Atlantis episode. I hope they will air it with the SG:U first season finale! ;) So "fly, Atlantis, fly"! :p

ussrelativity
April 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I am a pro-season 5 fan and I think everybody should wish here the same thing. More episode = more adventure = more fun = more life in the fandom. I would like to see the 100th Atlantis episode. I hope they will air it with the SG:U first season finale! ;) So "fly, Atlantis, fly"! :p

That would be nice. Although I would prefer to see the third series kept away from SCIFI.

Trek_Girl42
April 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
That would be nice. Although I would prefer to see the third series kept away from SCIFI.
Where else could they possibley shop it to that would take it? A major network would mean immeadiate death after three episodes (if that many), are there any other cable channels that might want it? To me it looks like SCI-FI and Stargate have a life-long relationship, through the good, the bad, and the ugly. There are occasional bright patches too though. :D

maxbo
April 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM

I don't know about that, Skiffy is pretty stupid.

Sad, but true - Skiffy is pretty stupid, which is why it's not a sure thing that they'll give SGA a 5th season. After SG-1's cancellation I checked out their lineup and didn't see anything that could generate a fraction of the long-term interest that the 10 year SG-1 achieved.

I think there will be a Season 5 for a few reasons.

I agree. The best hope for a 5th season of SGA is Skiffy's ego. I would be surprised if they didn't want the bragging rights to having 100 SGA episodes. It's too bad that we can't count on Skiffy to use sound business judgement and greenlight Season 5 because the Stargate franchise has a loyal, long-term fan base that no other show in their lineup can match, at this point. I know that Eureka is one of their babies, but with the recent ratings dive of BSG, they should now realize that early success (and extensive advertising) is no guarantee that a show will have legs - especially when they insist on mucking around with the scheduling.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM

I don't think it's too early concidering the lackluster start of the second half. I doubt the ratings will drop and I agree that the people who downloded hurt the ratings too much it is the long wait that did it. Personally I see the ratings either rising or staying the same either way I don't see us not getting a fifth season.

Platschu
April 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I hope the Stargate : Worlds game will be published around 2008 February or March, so the new season 5 and the first season of SG:U will have more connection with the game. They wrote earlier there will be weekly or monthly minor updates, so every new planets from the new episodes will be playable in the game too. Brad Wright also said that some events from the game will appear in the shows too. I know he gave that interview, when season 11 was planned, but I think the game-TV show connection can be adavantageous. SG:W can get new viewers to the SG shows, so the ratings will be bigger, so the future of SG franchise won't be in danger. ;)

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE]Sad, but true - Skiffy is pretty stupid, which is why it's not a sure thing that they'll give SGA a 5th season. After SG-1's cancellation I checked out their lineup and didn't see anything that could generate a fraction of the long-term interest that the 10 year SG-1 achieved.

Yeah exactly. They truly have no idea what makes for good tv. Have you seen Painkiller Jane? Eck.

I agree. The best hope for a 5th season of SGA is Skiffy's ego. I would be surprised if they didn't want the bragging rights to having 100 SGA episodes. It's too bad that we can't count on Skiffy to use sound business judgement and greenlight Season 5 because the Stargate franchise has a loyal, long-term fan base that no other show in their lineup can match, at this point. I know that Eureka is one of their babies, but with the recent ratings dive of BSG, they should now realize that early success (and extensive advertising) is no guarantee that a show will have legs - especially when they insist on mucking around with the scheduling.
No kidding. Hopefully though with the recent ratings they'll realize they alientated fans and keep not SGA on the air for awhile and not frak sga up.

Mitchell82
April 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I hope the Stargate : Worlds game will be published around 2008 February or March, so the new season 5 and the first season of SG:U will have more connection with the game. They wrote earlier there will be weekly or monthly minor updates, so every new planets from the new episodes will be playable in the game too. Brad Wright also said that some events from the game will appear in the shows too. I know he gave that interview, when season 11 was planned, but I think the game-TV show connection can be adavantageous. SG:W can get new viewers to the SG shows, so the ratings will be bigger, so the future of SG franchise won't be in danger. ;)

Regardless of when Stargate Worlds comes out since the SG franchise (not counting the movies) has strong support from MGM I doubt SGA or the franchise is general is in danger.

Platschu
April 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Regardless of when Stargate Worlds comes out since the SG franchise (not counting the movies) has strong support from MGM I doubt SGA or the franchise is general is in danger.
I like that you are so sure, but I am not. I fear the next ratings will be only around 1,3. The autumn will be more harder without SG-1. :( They should air with BSG again.

The Pro-season5 thread was a good idea, but the two thread should be merged into one. :)

Mitchell82
April 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I like that you are so sure, but I am not. I fear the next ratings will be only around 1,3. The autumn will be more harder without SG-1. :( They should air with BSG again.

The Pro-season5 thread was a good idea, but the two thread should be merged into one. :)

I hope you're wrong. I hopr the ratings remain steady for the rest of season 3 and for season 4 so we can get a fifth year. JM is pretty hopefull too so I'm not worrried...yet.

saberhagen83
April 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Well I'm all for season 5, even though 4 hasn't aired yet. :D But from the sounds of it S4 looks to be pretty good, so I'm optimisic about the new season. From what I understand SGA 11th episode did just about what the 1st half of S3 did in ratings. That is good, and if they can keep that (I hope increase) for next season I doubt SciFi will cancel the show. I know some have already stated that they want the 100th ep at least, and I think I have to agree on that. It would take something of a complete downfall for the show next season for them to cancel it, say around 1.0 in rating perhaps or there about. Well I'm hoping for 2.0 next season, but that's probably wishfull thinking...at least 1.6 would be good and enough to go into a S5. :)

ussrelativity
April 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
As long as promotion isn't shafted as it has been, it should do better.

Mitchell82
April 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Well I'm all for season 5, even though 4 hasn't aired yet. :D But from the sounds of it S4 looks to be pretty good, so I'm optimisic about the new season. From what I understand SGA 11th episode did just about what the 1st half of S3 did in ratings. That is good, and if they can keep that (I hope increase) for next season I doubt SciFi will cancel the show. I know some have already stated that they want the 100th ep at least, and I think I have to agree on that. It would take something of a complete downfall for the show next season for them to cancel it, say around 1.0 in rating perhaps or there about. Well I'm hoping for 2.0 next season, but that's probably wishfull thinking...at least 1.6 would be good and enough to go into a S5. :)

Personally I think the current ratings will be good enough to get a season 5, since all of it's prgramming is taking a ratings hit. I really want a season 5 so I really hope it happens though it may not. Hopefully scifi can figure out that all of this (the ratings drop) is their bloody fault and they pretty much shot themselves in the foot on this one.

ussrelativity
April 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
They still won't admit their mistakes to the fan base. It would result in bad PR for the executives.

Mitchell82
April 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
They still won't admit their mistakes to the fan base. It would result in bad PR for the executives.

Of course it would though we know that scifi never makes mistakes anyway.:D ;)

vaberella
April 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Personally I think the current ratings will be good enough to get a season 5, since all of it's prgramming is taking a ratings hit. I really want a season 5 so I really hope it happens though it may not. Hopefully scifi can figure out that all of this (the ratings drop) is their bloody fault and they pretty much shot themselves in the foot on this one.
I'm with you on this one. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an S5, and I will be surprised if there isn't. I think SGA has a lot to offer, and compared to SCI-FI's other shows (which I can't even stomach) and let me talk about the amount of crappy Dragon movies they keep giving (they almost made me hate dragons---and I adore dragons).

SGA probably next to Eureka will be their best seasoned shows (of course this is my own preferences :D ;) ). So I think they'll pull a S5.

ussrelativity
April 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I think Eureka is coming back in July, so it wouldn't be placed with anything related to Stargate.

Mitchell82
April 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm with you on this one. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an S5, and I will be surprised if there isn't. I think SGA has a lot to offer, and compared to SCI-FI's other shows (which I can't even stomach) and let me talk about the amount of crappy Dragon movies they keep giving (they almost made me hate dragons---and I adore dragons).

SGA probably next to Eureka will be their best seasoned shows (of course this is my own preferences :D ;) ). So I think they'll pull a S5.

Agreed. You know it's funny how they can't come up with better shows and movies. They even show crappy old movies. For gods sake I know they are some great scifi and scarry movies out there.

ussrelativity
April 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Agreed. You know it's funny how they can't come up with better shows and movies. They even show crappy old movies. For gods sake I know they are some great scifi and scarry movies out there.

I wonder how much are they actually trying to tick us all off.

prion
April 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Season 5 is totally dependent upon ratings and of course, if Skiffy's other much-ballyhooed stuff tanks, then they'll look for dependable. Ratins will depend on the writing - if the writing stinks, viewers will leave, no matter WHO is on the show. Then you've got some SGA fans who are ticked off at cast changes and may bail (if you watch a show for one actor, that is what happens - after all, many RDA fans left when he left, so, that's just life), then you've got (yes, they DO exist) some sG1 fans who are ticked off SGA is still around when their beloved (and I'm quoting a not-to-be-named fan) show gets the axe.

Of course, woudl help if Skiffy promoted the show, actually did NEW promo material, etc. Gawd, if they could just push one friggin' segment on Entertainment Tonight, or Access Hollywood. I mean, whatsface with the weird hair and bad voice got booted off American Idol, so there's room for a new segment! ;)

saberhagen83
April 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I hope so. I too think that the current ratings would be enough for a S5 go ahead, and I truly do think we will get at least 5 seasons of SGA. Beyond that is another matter though. It would be so interesting to see how they would handle a 100th ep as a season (possibly series) finale. :)

IWantToBelieve
April 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM
The current ratings are good enough for a s5. The question is, will they hold through s4 or fall too far.

Personally, s4 sounds promisining, despite all the changes, so I'll still be around. I hope we get a 5th, 6th and 7th even. I'm not sure after 7 seasons though. These shows tend to have a shelf life and I don't think SG-1 was as strong after 7th, nor X-Files, or any other show that went past 7 seasons. Except the Simpsons. Geez. That one's the exception to almost everything.

Naonak
April 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm hopeful for a fifth season, but not certain of it.

As long as ratings stay steady, it should make it - it would still be doing better than Skiffy's favourite children, Dresden Files and Galactica. I am worried about the ratings though - some people aren't happy about the changes, and obviously Skiffy's schedulers/advertisers/programmers are morons (seriously, a goldfish could probably do a better job than Bonnie and Mark).

(and yes, I realise how crap and broken the Nielsen system is)

Hasn't Doctor Who been airing in the fall? Could Atlantis get paired with that?

the fifth man
April 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I will do my best to remain cautiously optimistic for a 5th season of SGA (since I trust Sci-Fi about as far as I can throw them). In the meantime, I plan to just try and enjoy Season 4 when it rolls along.

Ripple in Space
April 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM

They could always take it to PBS. But of course they'd have to find away to produce the show without paying most of the Actors, and staff in general. I guess they could try paying David, Rachael, Jason, and Amanda with "ego strokes," and Joe with "that Nancy-boy hair gel he likes so much."

They also might have to put up with a few Elmo guest spots...

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I'm hopeful for a fifth season, but not certain of it.

As long as ratings stay steady, it should make it - it would still be doing better than Skiffy's favourite children, Dresden Files and Galactica. I am worried about the ratings though - some people aren't happy about the changes, and obviously Skiffy's schedulers/advertisers/programmers are morons (seriously, a goldfish could probably do a better job than Bonnie and Mark).

(and yes, I realise how crap and broken the Nielsen system is)

Hasn't Doctor Who been airing in the fall? Could Atlantis get paired with that?
I agree. I too am concerned about the ratings but extremely optimistic about my second favorite show continuing for a long while.

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM
I hope so. I too think that the current ratings would be enough for a S5 go ahead, and I truly do think we will get at least 5 seasons of SGA. Beyond that is another matter though. It would be so interesting to see how they would handle a 100th ep as a season (possibly series) finale. :)

I agree and hope it lasts past five seasons but if it lasts at least sive seasons it will still last longer than most shows and unforunatly the SG series' are two of the few good shows out there.

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
I will do my best to remain cautiously optimistic for a 5th season of SGA (since I trust Sci-Fi about as far as I can throw them). In the meantime, I plan to just try and enjoy Season 4 when it rolls along.

I can't trust them either but I will remain positive till they stab us in the back......again.

Twinchy
April 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I just want to throw in my two-bits on this topic as well...

As you might know (or not), I'm a bit hesitant about the changes that took place for Season 4 but there's also no way I'm not giving this show its fair chance to convince me. After all, it didn't let me down before, and I sobbed me a river when Ford had to leave at the end of Season 1. That said, I came to like Ronon a lot and am really glad I stayed with Atlantis so far!

Looking at the ratings for the second part of Season 3, both gives me hope for a fifth year and makes me worried because they are not as high as they could be (but also not too low). At this point there is nothing to get truly worried about IMHO.

As it is, chances do look promising for Atlantis' return next year if the ratings don't go descending into the void, and if the actors stay on the show (I don't know about contracts or anything but should one of the main cast leave for good, Skiffy might not want to test for a substitute at this stage and shut down the Gate alltogether).

Unfortunately I get the impression that Skiffy isn't promoting the show as much as they should after a seven month gap!

Too bad, there's also not much I can do about it, since I am living in Germany and have no influence on the ratings whatsoever. *is sad*

And I agree with whoever said that Season 4 will most likely have no part in the decision process of renewing Atlantis for a fifth season. Due to the long pause between airing third season's first and second part, the fourth Season premier will take place too far near the end of the year to be relevant. It's all up to the eps that are on SciFi right now!

On the other hand, I think that the network will probably give a fifth season a go anyway because there's the opportunity (as someone mentioned earlier in here) to wrap the show up with a true blast at its 100th ep's end! Skiffy will surely be considering that too.

Here's hoping for Season five and keeping my fingers crossed!

Mitchell82
April 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I just want to throw in my two-bits on this topic as well...

As you might know (or not), I'm a bit hesitant about the changes that took place for Season 4 but there's also no way I'm not giving this show its fair chance to convince me. After all, it didn't let me down before, and I sobbed me a river when Ford had to leave at the end of Season 1. That said, I came to like Ronon a lot and am really glad I stayed with Atlantis so far!

Looking at the ratings for the second part of Season 3, both gives me hope for a fifth year and makes me worried because they are not as high as they could be (but also not too low). At this point there is nothing to get truly worried about IMHO.

As it is, chances do look promising for Atlantis' return next year if the ratings don't go descending into the void, and if the actors stay on the show (I don't know about contracts or anything but should one of the main cast leave for good, Skiffy might not want to test for a substitute at this stage and shut down the Gate alltogether).

Unfortunately I get the impression that Skiffy isn't promoting the show as much as they should after a seven month gap!

Too bad, there's also not much I can do about it, since I am living in Germany and have no influence on the ratings whatsoever. *is sad*

And I agree with whoever said that Season 4 will most likely have no part in the decision process of renewing Atlantis for a fifth season. Due to the long pause between airing third season's first and second part, the fourth Season premier will take place too far near the end of the year to be relevant. It's all up to the eps that are on SciFi right now!

On the other hand, I think that the network will probably give a fifth season a go anyway because there's the opportunity (as someone mentioned earlier in here) to wrap the show up with a true blast at its 100th ep's end! Skiffy will surely be considering that too.

Here's hoping for Season five and keeping my fingers crossed!

WOW great post and I agree. Things look very prommising for the show as long as the ratings don't bottom out. If the show ended on the 100th episode mark it would be a good sendoff. But here's hoping to season 5 and beyond!

Ruffles
May 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think Eureka is coming back in July, so it wouldn't be placed with anything related to Stargate.

Eureka has been referenced several times, so I have a question for the group. Eureka airs on Tuesday. What effect do you think are caused by airing on a Tuesday versus SGA airing on Friday? I personally am much more likely to be home on a Tuesday night to watch than a Friday (and I did watch Eureka last summer - found it entertaining by not nearly as good as the 'Gates).

Mitchell82
May 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Eureka has been referenced several times, so I have a question for the group. Eureka airs on Tuesday. What effect do you think are caused by airing on a Tuesday versus SGA airing on Friday? I personally am much more likely to be home on a Tuesday night to watch than a Friday (and I did watch Eureka last summer - found it entertaining by not nearly as good as the 'Gates).

Hmm good question. Though I'm not always home on Fridays, like this one I'll be at the Spidey 3 premiere, I always tape it. I'd say that it depends on the group, though since the gates have always been on Fridays it would hurt if they moved nights.

skydragon786
May 4th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Problem is that:

1. Many, many people use DVR's to record programmes, and these aren't counted in the ratings.

2. Many, many people (Me and others I know) just download the latest episodes. Heard of Torrents? They showed Atlantis in Canada before America, and torrent statstics showed tens of thousands of people downloading in the first couple of hours after the latest episode aired.

3. Too big of a gap between episode 10 and 11, so people have gone off to do other things.

Television stations should start including ALL statistics, no matter where they come from - Torrents, DVR's etc. Then, we'll have a true idea of just how many people watch (I bet it's more, much more, than the 1.3 rating Atlantis got for the recent episode). StarGate is especially popular in Europe and other areas than it is in the US, no?

Mitchell82
May 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Problem is that:

1. Many, many people use DVR's to record programmes, and these aren't counted in the ratings.
Actually they are. Companies take dvr and tivoing into account on ratings and the statisitcs that show that "live + 7 day" arent published, however when people tivo and dvr shows and don't watch them within 7 days arent counted.

2. Many, many people (Me and others I know) just download the latest episodes. Heard of Torrents? They showed Atlantis in Canada before America, and torrent statstics showed tens of thousands of people downloading in the first couple of hours after the latest episode aired.
I have but it's not enough to hurt ratings IMO

3. Too big of a gap between episode 10 and 11, so people have gone off to do other things.
Agreed

Television stations should start including ALL statistics, no matter where they come from - Torrents, DVR's etc. Then, we'll have a true idea of just how many people watch (I bet it's more, much more, than the 1.3 rating Atlantis got for the recent episode). StarGate is especially popular in Europe and other areas than it is in the US, no?
Never going to happen. Nelison as well as other companies will NEVER count torrents b/c they are illegal. Stargate is popular everywhere yes but they will never count torrents as part of the ratings.

Killdeer
May 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I guess it's official:

"Galactica" Last Season Official (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070511c.php)

So, what do you all think that says about Atlantis's chances?

marty2006
May 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I am really looking foreward to s4 and i hope it will continue for many more seasons.

PG15
May 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It could go either way; although there is now no chance of reestablishing SciFi-Friday now that 2/3 of its shows are dead, there is a chance that SciFi would hold onto Atlantis as it's one of the only decent shows still alive on the channel.

I mean, what other "original programming" do they have? Dresden Files? Painkiller Jane? Eureka? All of them took a dive in ratings and only Eureka could beat Atlantis in that respect, although that could change when it comes back this summer.

mcbarr
May 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
As a BSG viewer, I'm obviously disappointed by the news. As a SGA fan, I'm not sure. Good science fiction shows are dropping like flies, though. :(

Mitchell82
May 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
It could go either way; although there is now no chance of reestablishing SciFi-Friday now that 2/3 of its shows are dead, there is a chance that SciFi would hold onto Atlantis as it's one of the only decent shows still alive on the channel.

I mean, what other "original programming" do they have? Dresden Files? Painkiller Jane? Eureka? All of them took a dive in ratings and only Eureka could beat Atlantis in that respect, although that could change when it comes back this summer.

I hope so. There other programming hasnt been great and SGA is still their best hope, as well as the third series. It could go either way at this point but I hope it continues for many more seasons.

mcbarr
May 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I guess it's official:

"Galactica" Last Season Official (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070511c.php)

Videos:

IESB.net (http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=2&article=2465)

ToasterOnFire
May 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I guess it's official:

So, what do you all think that says about Atlantis's chances?
Well, it could affect Atlantis one of two ways:

-If BSG ends next season then Atlantis has more of a chance of being renewed because otherwise skiffy has no real powerhouse shows. SG1 is over, BSG will be over, so they'll keep Atlantis around for s5 as long as the ratings don't totally stink.

OR

-The circumstances of BSG's ending are not yet known. It could be that ratings weren't that great in 3.5 and that caused skiffy to give TPTB 20 eps to end the series. Atlantis is getting the same ratings as BSG, and it makes the network less money overall. Going on the numbers, it could be that s4 will be Atlantis's last as well.

All speculation though - it's way too early to say anything for certain.

Mitchell82
May 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Well, it could affect Atlantis one of two ways:

-If BSG ends next season then Atlantis has more of a chance of being renewed because otherwise skiffy has no real powerhouse shows. SG1 is over, BSG will be over, so they'll keep Atlantis around for s5 as long as the ratings don't totally stink.

OR

-The circumstances of BSG's ending are not yet known. It could be that ratings weren't that great in 3.5 and that caused skiffy to give TPTB 20 eps to end the series. Atlantis is getting the same ratings as BSG, and it makes the network less money overall. Going on the numbers, it could be that s4 will be Atlantis's last as well.

All speculation though - it's way too early to say anything for certain.

Well I hope that scenario one is what plays out but it's definatly a possibility that scenario 2 is the end result. I hope that the ratings are good enough to keep SGA on but with the ratings being the same..only time will tell, however if both end they have no powerhouse series so my guess is they will give SGA one more season and see if the ratings improve.

Liam Kincaid
May 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM

I hate to say it, but the cancellation of SG1 might actually improve SGA's ratings. A lot of people who only watch SG1 now might start watching Atlantis then.

Mitchell82
May 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I hate to say it, but the cancellation of SG1 might actually improve SGA's ratings. A lot of people who only watch SG1 now might start watching Atlantis then.

If that happens then at least something good will come of SG-1's cancellation, though I'd still prefer to have the head of scifi in the Wriath torture chamber from CG.:D ;)

MIZA
May 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
long live stargate atlantis. when sg1 finishes in the u.s. the ratings might improve, you never know
:sheppard: :mckay: :weir: :ronan: :teyla: :beckett:

yeah i agree with there possibly being a season 5 i would love it, but don't count on the US ratings , you'd be surprised at the shows the US has cancelled ? Enterprise , Firefly?

SG13-NightOps
May 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Personally I would like to think that Sci Fi realises that they have their own role to play in SGA's rating slide. The delay made it easily available online, and many people are far too impatient. Then once they have watched it on download, they dont need to remember to watch it on TV. The proliferation of the backhalf of Season 3 online prior to the ratings-recorded showing has to play a part in the decision making - well, you would think. When Sci Fi has first run of Season 4 again, the ratings will be back where they are supposed to be, because those who record it to put it online, have to get it from Sci Fi.

First run should Always be where the ratings play a part - always. Otherwise these days, its far too late.

Mitchell82
May 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Personally I would like to think that Sci Fi realises that they have their own role to play in SGA's rating slide. The delay made it easily available online, and many people are far too impatient. Then once they have watched it on download, they dont need to remember to watch it on TV. The proliferation of the backhalf of Season 3 online prior to the ratings-recorded showing has to play a part in the decision making - well, you would think. When Sci Fi has first run of Season 4 again, the ratings will be back where they are supposed to be, because those who record it to put it online, have to get it from Sci Fi.

First run should Always be where the ratings play a part - always. Otherwise these days, its far too late.

I agree that scifi did screw themselves but the downloading itself isnt the sole problem. The wait combined with lack of advertising hurt it as well.

SG13-NightOps
May 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I agree that scifi did screw themselves but the downloading itself isnt the sole problem. The wait combined with lack of advertising hurt it as well.

The delay caused the proliferation problem. I am in Australia, so my viewing means nothing at all. Despite the fact that I never miss the reruns on our version of skiffy - and I keep my eyes open with matchsticks to watch the first runs at god awful hours at night, it wont make a sniff of difference. Initially, those uploads were targeted at people like me - too far away to make a difference, and have to wait an extra year to see it - and so it meant nothing in the grand ratings scheme. This is proliferation - but not a problem. The first time that they allow it to go to air out of the US first, it shows an actual decline - and enter the problem with online downloads.

Now everything about this noticeable decline is Sci Fi's fault - by virtue of the massive (and utterly absurd) mid season delay. I cant speak on Lack of Advertising as I am outside the range of US Sci Fi, but simply put - they can't honestly believe after making a massive change in the scheduling that they have nothing to do with the sudden ratings dip.

I simply hope they realise this too and don't cancel SGA because of it. :(

ColCaldwell
May 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
SGA is probably dead after season 4.

Celcool
May 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM
SGA is probably dead after season 4.
With the way the show is run right now, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Suzotchka
May 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I'm torn as to if there will be a S5. The way they are going now (cast changes, hiatus, etc.) and the way the ratings are, I think no, there will not be a S5.

BUT you can't put it past SCIFI to renew it for S5 just so they can get their 100th episode.

SG13-NightOps
May 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'm torn as to if there will be a S5. The way they are going now (cast changes, hiatus, etc.) and the way the ratings are, I think no, there will not be a S5.

BUT you can't put it past SCIFI to renew it for S5 just so they can get their 100th episode.

Well, I'd like a 100th episode too. ;)

Mitchell82
May 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
With the way the show is run right now, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

I wouldnt say that. The show is run fine IMO. If it gets canned it's scifi's fault. I sure hope season 4 is not the last.

jenks
May 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I'd be very suprised if season 4 wasn't the best one yet, wether it'll get renewed I'm not sure, you never know with Sci Fi.

Trek_Girl42
May 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The BSG thing is interesting, because not only after BSG is gone will there be a huge void in SCI-FI's programming schedule, but they will also no longer have a "flagship" show. Right now, SGA is looking like the only viable option for that position which might nudge it into the renewal column while other programs are being developed. Eureka may get them good ratings, but it's not "main attraction" material. Critics pretty much hated Dresden Files, and it's no where near a strong enough a show to be SCI-FI's tentpole. Painkiller Jane, again, too new, low ratings, bad reviews etc. SGA might sneak through on merit of it's age alone (there aren't ever really any reviews of it), everything else on the channel is too new.

Celcool
May 16th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I wouldnt say that. The show is run fine IMO. If it gets canned it's scifi's fault. I sure hope season 4 is not the last.
You're one of the TPTB's dream fans, you know. ;) Nothing would be their fault, no way. They made no bad decisions regarding casting, writing, it's all perfect as it can be. LOL

SG13-NightOps
May 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
You're one of the TPTB's dream fans, you know. ;) Nothing would be their fault, no way. They made no bad decisions regarding casting, writing, it's all perfect as it can be. LOL

and here I thought we were just fans that happened to have a different opinion to you.

Mitchell82
May 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Gee me a dream fan? I just thought we differed in opinions. I have never said they never make mistakes, they are human not gods after all. I disagreed with the death of Janet, Jacob, the removal of Ford and the death of Carson. But in all situations they were handled well and I enjoyed how it was done. I enjoy all episodes just some more than others. I won't red you but that statement was very rude.

Ganthet Jr.
May 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Lol...

Dream fans? Interesting way to make those who disagree with you a labelled minority...

I feel that the changes will mainly reinvigorate interest and keep things fresher and fascinating. Sure, some of the decisions weren't perfect, but out of dozens of things that are amazing, I'm sure not going to focus on a handful of things I wish were different.

I agree with the poster above, your comment was a little rude. It's easy to belittle those who disagree by making them out to be as far to the other view point as you can be to the point where it's ridiculous (a lot like American politics). I'm sure the majority of people who AREN'T whining don't think everything is perfect, they just feel that there is more good than bad, so they're not going to whine they yaps off.

LOL

Jack'O'Neill
May 17th, 2007, 04:28 AM
i think it will keep going until season 10 and it will have it own movie as well

:jack:

The Great Lord Baal
May 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Bring on season 5

Suzotchka
May 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Lol...

Dream fans? Interesting way to make those who disagree with you a labelled minority...

I feel that the changes will mainly reinvigorate interest and keep things fresher and fascinating. Sure, some of the decisions weren't perfect, but out of dozens of things that are amazing, I'm sure not going to focus on a handful of things I wish were different.

I agree with the poster above, your comment was a little rude. It's easy to belittle those who disagree by making them out to be as far to the other view point as you can be to the point where it's ridiculous (a lot like American politics). I'm sure the majority of people who AREN'T whining don't think everything is perfect, they just feel that there is more good than bad, so they're not going to whine they yaps off.

LOL

Ummm ... I believe Celcool was being sarcastic and joking .. hence the ;) in her post.

However I do find the bolded part offensive. Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are whining. People do have valid concerns and should be treated as such.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants S5 and is watching S4.

But I expect people to respect my opinions also.

Oreo
May 17th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Atlantis will get at least 5 seasons.

I think maybe 6 but I doubt anymore than that.

Mitchell82
May 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM

I hope so.

vaberella
May 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM

If SGA achieves all my expectations and then some in S4--and maintain this streak half way in S5, I believe they can go on indefinitely. There is no doubt in my mind they'd get an S5. I would be geinuinely surprised if they don't. Since the 5 gives them at least 100 eps and would be a milestone for the show, before cancellation.

Celcool
May 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Gee me a dream fan? I just thought we differed in opinions. I have never said they never make mistakes, they are human not gods after all. I disagreed with the death of Janet, Jacob, the removal of Ford and the death of Carson. But in all situations they were handled well and I enjoyed how it was done. I enjoy all episodes just some more than others. I won't red you but that statement was very rude.
As Suz said, I was half-joking. (Thanks Suz. :) ) I was referring to the post of yours I quoted only, what you said, they would want to hear, but since you find my post insulting (which wasn't my intention) I see that overall you aren't their dream fan after all. :D

What I also want to add is that imo it can't be only SciFi's fault, they handle the promotion, maybe nod at some decisions TPTB make but TPTb are the ones who make the show happen, the product people want or don't want to watch, hence the decline or the rise of the ratings, whatever happens. Not even sure what the ratings for Atlantis were the last two weeks... As we could see in JM's case, they would never blame the possible failing of the show on themselves, they'll blame SciFi every time. :rolleyes:

saberhagen83
May 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I think I have to agree with you. I think they will make S5, it would take something big for that not to happen I think, like ratings going way way down. But after S5, I'm not sure anymore. We may have a S6 also but I think that will be as far as the show goes, of course I have been wrong about these things before. :) But I'm beginning to be more carefull with my hopes for S4, I will lower my expectations a bit more, or I think I will for sure be dissapointed. But I'm still hopefull for another good season, and hopefully a few more.

Diesel Vanilla
May 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
If Sci-fi's promotion is as lacking as many viewers say it is (I'm in the UK so don't see it) then personally I don't think the 'shaking up' of SGA by the cast changes will make a blind bit of flippin' difference to TPTBs hope of increasing the viewing figures.

There are so many variables involved with trying to figure out the fluctuations in viewing figures... promotion, cast changes, other shows, stupidly-long hiatus and easy downloading... that it's almost impossible to know for sure what the main influence is.

Saying all of that I think SGA will go to season 5 as I think they'll want to get at least two seasons out of Carter.

FoolishPleasure
May 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Saying all of that I think SGA will go to season 5 as I think they'll want to get at least two seasons out of Carter.
Remember, Amanda Tapping only has one year left on her contract. To do a season 5, TPTB would have to negotiate a new deal with her, and since she already has 10 years under her belt, she already has a salary higher than the other actors. Besides, AT is also working on "Sanctuary", the SG1 DVD's, and anything else that could turn up in the meantime.

Matt G
May 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Hmmmm...maybe. A large chunk of the SG1-only peeps fall into two categories though.

1. Long time SG1 fans who gave Atlantis a look in early S1, didn't like it and gave up on it.

2. Farscape fans who only got into SG1 due to the Farscape connections. Such individuals are happy to say that they don't care about Atlantis.

If Atlantis ever has to bank on either of these groups for survival, it's a goner.

Ganthet Jr.
May 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ummm ... I believe Celcool was being sarcastic and joking .. hence the ;) in her post.

However I do find the bolded part offensive. Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are whining. People do have valid concerns and should be treated as such.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants S5 and is watching S4.

But I expect people to respect my opinions also.

Didn't mean to offend ;-)

The only people I was referring to were the ones who do what I was saying, not everyone who disagrees. If I were doing that, I'd be doing exactly what I was complaining about. Clarity error on my part :-D

jenks
May 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM
"I know that there was a concern that the production value of the show would go down. In fact," Gero admitted, "it's gone up, and we're able to spend the money we would only be able to spend once or twice a year on episodes fairly consistently. Once every three episodes we have a pretty giant episode. So 'Adrift' and 'Lifeline' are massive, massive episodes."

Looking good :)

Quinn Mallory
May 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I guess I'm in the camp that think S5 is a foregone conclusion. Unless the rating for Atlantis drop tremendously, I just don't think SciFi will want to replace one of their bread and butter show (especially when you consider that BSG may be over and Painskiller Jane is crappy). Of course, if SciFi wants to broadcast even more wrestling in their schedule and/or the production and MGM are still bitter about the cancellation of SG-1...

Quinn Mallory
May 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Hmmmm...maybe. A large chunk of the SG1-only peeps fall into two categories though.

1. Long time SG1 fans who gave Atlantis a look in early S1, didn't like it and gave up on it.

2. Farscape fans who only got into SG1 due to the Farscape connections. Such individuals are happy to say that they don't care about Atlantis.

If Atlantis ever has to bank on either of these groups for survival, it's a goner.

Well, you got to figure that Atlantis will survive if it just improves slightly upon its current ratings. Unless a majority of those ratings comes from your group 1 and are old people who fall asleep after finishing watching SG-1, I don't think SGA has to worry too much about the two groups that you mentioned that likely had never added to SGA's rating in the past.

Ganthet Jr.
May 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Martin Gero's comments make me a little more excited toward a season 5!

Amaunet
May 18th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I’m hoping for S4 and beyond,
I think I could be overly optimistic here, but I think I could see it going to S6...In my opinion i think its in Sci-fi's hands, i don't think TPTB can do anything to influence Sci-fis decision...regarding characters, storylines, or well anything really...

SG13-NightOps
May 18th, 2007, 01:58 AM

I guess the real question is - What about SGA didnt they like?
Personally it was much slower than SG1, but SG1 also became very slow. It was like trying to make two shows was only detrimental to both.

Perhaps now they can concentrate solely on SGA, it will get a massive inspiration injection and may capture those audiences.

Princess Awinita
May 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm all for a S5 in fact i'm betting I'm gonna write an episode of it too..... for all i know that would be a dream come true.

after all, look where Atlantis is at now, it is doing ok so far right?

Mitchell82
May 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I'm all for a S5 in fact i'm betting I'm gonna write an episode of it too..... for all i know that would be a dream come true.

after all, look where Atlantis is at now, it is doing ok so far right?

Ratings have dropped a little but they have been improving. The only thing I'm concerned about is season 5 will greatly depend on the ratings for the second half of season 3 since season four will be close to finished but the time it airs. With the horrible ratings their other shows are getting and BSG being cancelled the future of SGA seems bright.

hutchi4
May 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM

In a way I'd have to agree with you there with all the changes that happend which to tell you the truth I wasn't happy about but who knows we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Mitchell82
May 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
In a way I'd have to agree with you there with all the changes that happend which to tell you the truth I wasn't happy about but who knows we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thats a great way to look at it. I for one am not worried at all b/c it looks like to me that Atlantis is holding strong and I believe that the changes will be good for the show. I don't think it needed any changes but so far it sounds like season 4 will be great. I will remain optimistic but a wait and see aproach is the best way to look at it.

Commander Ivanova
May 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM
Well, it depends to some extent on how many of us keep watching S4. I'll be hanging on in there, teeth gritted against the dreaded C word as flynn puts it.

Kick-Kinsey
May 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM
I think Season Five is to be

because the show just keeps getting better

The Suicidal Goldfish
May 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
You'd have to say, if you were the network looking JUST at the ratings, season 5 would look like a bit of a non-starter, would anyone agree?

Shame as I think the series has a certain DS9 level of appeal and potential to it (i.e. I think it could go on to be the mutts nuts), if the network marketed it properly.

*sigh*

Wraith_Boy
May 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
You'd have to say, if you were the network looking JUST at the ratings, season 5 would look like a bit of a non-starter, would anyone agree?

Shame as I think the series has a certain DS9 level of appeal and potential to it (i.e. I think it could go on to be the mutts nuts), if the network marketed it properly.

*sigh*

You first have to ask yourself why is it getting low ratings!

Promotion isn't everything. Perfect example ---> BSG S3. It had the crap marketed out of it in numerous countries, yet had pretty poor seasonal ratings.

Personally, I think 'Bridge Studios' have had the franchise for too long & it'd be best served for MGM looking to somewhere new & fresh.

pisces27
May 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Supposedly TV ratings are down for all the networks. I'm not expecting a season 5 for Atlantis which will be a shame IMO. I really love the show. I hope they prove me wrong.

StefanSGA
May 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
I just don't get the American ratings system. It is common knowledge that many people record episodes, download them, watch them in syndication and buy the DVD's. Why does the decision to make a season 5 have to depend on ratings that are achieved at the first moment of broadcasting, and that only in the US. Why are ratings from other countries completely ignored? I didn't understand that years ago when Enterprise got canceled at the precise moment it started getting good. The system endured a lot of criticism but still nothing has changed... Season 3 ratings for SGA aren't very promising so far, so i'm fearing the worst for a season 5....I love Atlantis, it's one of the best shows i have ever seen and i hope it lasts as long as SG1 did!

sueKay
May 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sci Fi may order s5 however...

Here's why

They no longer have BSG (which cost them more (it was their own show so they had more to loose))
Painkiller Jane has flopped spectacularly
If they don't renew Atlantis, they might not get the movie contract, which is a very valuable thing indeed
The guys at the top of Sci Fi are known Atlantis fans, and we know these guys pander to their own TV tastes a lot

techjunkie
May 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
No simple answers here. It's not just about ratings anymore.

The classic TV business model has changed. Viewership is down over where it was a decade ago. New technologies are next to impossible to quantify (TiVO, Web downloads (iTunes), and illegal downloading), so advertisers and broadcasters alike are placed in a difficult position. What is the real viewer base? Do they actually see the commercials?

The only quantifiable value is DVD sales, and IMO the one driving factor that allow MGM to move SG-1 to a new market in the production of movies for sales.

Sanctuary is another example of the changing market, and a bold experiment that i believe may ultimately work. The pay by subscription model, if the show has a significant fan base, may ultimately prove to be the best model.

Take into account the potential sales from DVD, first broadcast rights, and the ongoing subscription fees - these series could possibly make money without ever having to worry about advertisers and commercials. Essentially it's a new business.

So is Atlantis dead? I don't think so. Will it see a 5th season... I say highly likely. Will it be in a format we're used to? Will Joe Mazzolli continue to show us his dinner blog? That's the real question.

Tech Junkie

flynn1959
May 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM

*sigh*

Well, I wouldn't renew it that's for sure!The last set of rating had Atlantis behind SG1 and they cancelled that.

Wraith_Boy
May 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Well, I wouldn't renew it that's for sure!The last set of rating had Atlantis behind SG1 and they canceled that.

If they brought Weir back in as a regular for S5, would you still want it axed! ;)

The Suicidal Goldfish
May 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM
The last set of rating had Atlantis behind SG1 and they canceled that.

Yes, but I'm willing to bet SG1 was disproportionately more expensive.

Commander Ivanova
May 21st, 2007, 01:17 PM
The mutts nuts, LOL! or los cohones del perro as we say in our house.

If you want a S5 keep watching S4, no matter how bad. Then if S5 is sh*t as well we can all defect to BSG (oh wait, that won't work oh too bad we'll all have to take up gardening or something).

vaberella
May 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM

*sigh*

Well SGA is here for S5 without a doubt for me. I was surprised to hear that BSG is dead, and I figured Dresden and Painkiller Jane will be gone. That being said, all Sci-Fi has is Eureka and SGA going for it. SGA pulled higher numbers than the other previously mentioned shows, which counts since these shows are original programming heavily promoted by Scifi. ~relapsed moment of watching a commercial on the Dresden Files I watch the balsphemous recounts of the History Channel on the American Rev.~ That says a lot.

Not to mention for SGA to pull the numbers it pulls without any publicity that I've seen says a bloody lot. No publicity just word of mouth with a few drops in the water on Scifi itself---SGA is a superior programming to do something like that. So yeah, SGA is here for a while, I'll even confirm there will be an S6, it's an S7 I don't whether that will happen.

IWantToBelieve
May 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
If it weren't for the fact that SG-1 and BSG are ending, then I'd say probably not. But with both of those series going, that does leave a gap to be filled and SGA is one of the few left to do it. Eureka is a good show but it's only 13 episodes. Dresden did decently and will probably be back. SGA is earning the same low ratings that TPTB cited when Farscape was abruptly cancelled after having been given the green light for a 5th season, but back then SG-1 was doing better and had life left.

It is true that ratings are down across the board, and it's also true there isn't a whole lot right now to replace SGA and losing 3 shows in a year is probably too much for them. My guess is SGA will get a 5th season but not a 6th if the ratings continue in this vein.

FWIW, skiffy bears a large part of the blame. Going 7 months between episode 10 and 11 was suicide and just about everyone said that back when the long break was just a rumor. Go figure, now we see the proof and it sucks.

Mitchell82
May 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
I think Season Five is to be

because the show just keeps getting better

I agree 100%. It just keeps getting better so as long as SGA reamains in Scifi's top 10 we have nothing to worry about.

darth_timon
May 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
I can't even BEGIN to speculate about a Season 5 of Atlantis until Season 4 is well underway. Hopefully Season 4 will be strong, both in terms of quality and in viewing figures, so that a Season 5 is wanted.

Mitchell82
May 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I can't even BEGIN to speculate about a Season 5 of Atlantis until Season 4 is well underway. Hopefully Season 4 will be strong, both in terms of quality and in viewing figures, so that a Season 5 is wanted.

Unfortnatly the ratings for season 3 will determine season 5.

Mitchell82
May 21st, 2007, 03:30 PM
If it weren't for the fact that SG-1 and BSG are ending, then I'd say probably not. But with both of those series going, that does leave a gap to be filled and SGA is one of the few left to do it. Eureka is a good show but it's only 13 episodes. Dresden did decently and will probably be back. SGA is earning the same low ratings that TPTB cited when Farscape was abruptly cancelled after having been given the green light for a 5th season, but back then SG-1 was doing better and had life left.

It is true that ratings are down across the board, and it's also true there isn't a whole lot right now to replace SGA and losing 3 shows in a year is probably too much for them. My guess is SGA will get a 5th season but not a 6th if the ratings continue in this vein.

FWIW, skiffy bears a large part of the blame. Going 7 months between episode 10 and 11 was suicide and just about everyone said that back when the long break was just a rumor. Go figure, now we see the proof and it sucks.

Yeah i hate to say it but mabey something good will come from SG-1's cancellation. With two of it's top shows dead SGA is their only good show. If they cancel it their idiots but look at who we're talking about. Skiffy shot themselves in the foot and they are paying for it now. But as someone else said ratings are down everywhere.

Princess Awinita
May 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well, it depends to some extent on how many of us keep watching S4. I'll be hanging on in there, teeth gritted against the dreaded C word as flynn puts it.

then let us all hope for the best and the first of three stages begins

the three stages I speak of are:

Stage one: Thinking it over and getting things in order(pre-filming)

Stage two: Making it and coming out withing a note to all(S5 is on the way note or the like)

Stage three, first half of S5 is shown based on latter half of S4 ratings

if people like it TPTB might even go for a S6 for all we know or maybe just a Atlantis movie(IMHO I think a Atlantis right to DVD is a bad idea, put it in theatres and see how much money is made then go to DVD after a bit)

Amaunet
May 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Thats a great way to look at it. I for one am not worried at all b/c it looks like to me that Atlantis is holding strong and I believe that the changes will be good for the show. I don't think it needed any changes but so far it sounds like season 4 will be great. I will remain optimistic but a wait and see aproach is the best way to look at it.

I agree! :D

Yeah i hate to say it but mabey something good will come from SG-1's cancellation. With two of it's top shows dead SGA is their only good show. If they cancel it their idiots but look at who we're talking about. Skiffy shot themselves in the foot and they are paying for it now. But as someone else said ratings are down everywhere.

This gives me even more hope, i definitely think we'll get a S5 and S6, and i'm hoping that SgA will go beyond there!

Mitchell82
May 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
I agree! :D

This gives me even more hope, i definitely think we'll get a S5 and S6, and i'm hoping that SgA will go beyond there!

Same here. "Stargate Atlantis, bodly going where no show has gone before!";)

Trek_Girl42
May 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Sci Fi may order s5 however...

Here's why

They no longer have BSG (which cost them more (it was their own show so they had more to loose))
Painkiller Jane has flopped spectacularly
If they don't renew Atlantis, they might not get the movie contract, which is a very valuable thing indeed
The guys at the top of Sci Fi are known Atlantis fans, and we know these guys pander to their own TV tastes a lot
I agree- I think that Atlantis will get a season five based on the above callusion of events. There's no way they could possibley renew Painkiller Jane for another season- hec, if it was on a network it would have been gone after two weeks with those ratings. Dresden Files gets poor reviews and low ratings, and it's future is highly in question- I really only kept watching because it was paired with BSG. Eureka was a solid ratings achiever last season, and hopefully that will continue, but it's a comedy, the channel needs a drama, and that leaves the space wide open for an Atlantis renewal. And oh yes, I think they were rather insane for not going ahead with a Lost Room series- with that group of great actors, intreagueing premise, etc. As a more serious drama, it could have been groomed as a replacement for BSG. Now, either way you look at it, if SCI-FI goes ahead with the BSG cancellation, they are going to have a major hole in their programming to cover. And Atlantis is only going to begin to cover that, they desperately need another hit show.

Though they by no means lost with BSG- they probably made a LOT of money, but that was just on the DVD sales, so their profit on it was substancially delayed from the original investment.

Maltrancko
May 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
then let us all hope for the best and the first of three stages begins

the three stages I speak of are:

Stage one: Thinking it over and getting things in order(pre-filming)

Stage two: Making it and coming out withing a note to all(S5 is on the way note or the like)

Stage three, first half of S5 is shown based on latter half of S4 ratings

if people like it TPTB might even go for a S6 for all we know or maybe just a Atlantis movie(IMHO I think a Atlantis right to DVD is a bad idea, put it in theatres and see how much money is made then go to DVD after a bit)

won't happen, plain and simple it costs too much and people who don't know the franchise so seems stupidly pointless there, I know it's been done before, but considering what needs to be written to catch everyone up, it just won't happen

hence why the SG1 movies are going straight to DVD it wouldn't make sense to anyone who doesn't know the show

Fsudryden
May 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Heres a little thought?

From everything that was said before it sounds to me that Stargate: Universe is going to premier on Sci-FI. I for one believe that Sci-Fi is going to be desperate for a hit show and poor money into the show.

But, I believe TBPB will be smarter this time and put a lot of legal stipulations on cancelation. they would probably put a notice they have to give them 1 last season when they cancel the show to wrap up lose stories threads etc.

Imagine a desperate Sci-Fi network agreeing to everything we have ever wanted? Sounds good.

Princess Awinita
May 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Heres a little thought?

Imagine a desperate Sci-Fi network agreeing to everything we have ever wanted? Sounds good.

that would be AWSOME! I'd be able to watch Atlantis whenever I turned on my TV, there'd be a guy on a cellphone ducttaped to my couch with a phone glued to his hand to call them up, "she wants to watch S7 of SG-1 now"

that's be a dream come true

back on topice....

if PKJ is only one season, and BSg is gone, along with Sg-1 *puts a hand over heart as the three zillion gun slaute goes off to SG-1* Sci-Fi is gonna want Atlantis for more then S5(I'm thinking maybe a up to S7 and three movies)

Mitchell82
May 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
that would be AWSOME! I'd be able to watch Atlantis whenever I turned on my TV, there'd be a guy on a cellphone ducttaped to my couch with a phone glued to his hand to call them up, "she wants to watch S7 of SG-1 now"

that's be a dream come true

back on topice....

if PKJ is only one season, and BSg is gone, along with Sg-1 *puts a hand over heart as the three zillion gun slaute goes off to SG-1* Sci-Fi is gonna want Atlantis for more then S5(I'm thinking maybe a up to S7 and three movies)

*salutes massive gun salulte* I sure hope scifi agrees with you.

raduzhok
August 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM
How many ep are there going to be in S5 before it goes off air?

Specter177
August 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Do you mean before the mid-season break, or total episodes in the season? Total would be 20.

jelgate
August 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Their really in no mid-season break this season

Mitchell82
August 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Why did my old thread get borught back? Kinda pointless now ain't it?

raduzhok
August 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Do you mean before the mid-season break, or total episodes in the season? Total would be 20.

I was talking about mid season break.

Their really in no mid-season break this season

They're going to show it right thru? That's great!

Mitchell82
August 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I was talking about mid season break.

They're going to show it right thru? That's great!

Yup with a few two week breaks here and there.