This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real meaning of Earth chevron.

Hey everybody. I sometimes post items regarding Stargaternalia at my archaeology blog (http://www.archaeoblog.blogspot.com/) and a reader asked a question that I've not come across before. He wanted to know if the Earth symbol (inverted V with the circle over it) was taken from any real historical context. I don't recall it being a true Egyptian glyph (I've studied, but am not an expert) and I've never seen it anywhere else either. The correspondent mentioned that Daniel had mentioned that it represented a pyramid with the sun disk over it. That's the only reference I've got to anything within the show itself explaining it. Has this been batted around elsewhere?

Thanks!

It just represents a pyramind with a sun above it.

Each stargate point of origin is supposed to be a unique symbol that relates to that planet. It's not based on any specific symbol, or have a historical context. Earth has a pyramid and sun while Abydos is the same, but with three suns (which makes sense given the egyptian theme of the movie).

Earth has two point of origins, one based on Egypt that fits with the general theme of the show (i.e. Ancient Egyptian Gods and mythology) and the other based on an unknown symbol that related to the Ancients.

There have only been a few seventh symbols revealed, and each one has always represented that world specific (except for the Antarctic gate, as I don't recall that symbol ever being explained).

sigpic

Comment

The antarctic gate symbol was shown to be a circle with some other stuff iirc. Might check after on my DVDs later if no one else finds it and posts it.

Comment

What i dont understand is why, if the Ancients built the gates millenia before the Goa'uld existed and pyramids were built, why did they choose a glyph that representer a pyramid with the sun overhead? I think that it is just reminiscent of the original movie. The PoO on the Antarctic gate is prob the true PoO for Earth as that was the oldest gate here. When that froze over Ra probably transplanted the egyptian gate from somewhere else after he found Earth and took a host.

Comment

The Ancients didnt choose the pyramid symbol for Earth thats the point, the Giza gate was one Ra put there. The original Ancient gate had another symbol a circly thingemabob of some sorts.

Comment

Yea bascially what everyone else has said, Ra put the gate with the inverted v with the circle over it on earth when he got here, the original ancient symbol for earth was on the dhd in anartica the image is in a thread sumwhere cant remember where however sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by F_Black View Post
              a reader asked a question that I've not come across before. He wanted to know if the Earth symbol (inverted V with the circle over it) was taken from any real historical context.
              Try Here.

FYI: You can type the "Å" symbol by pressing ALT+143 on your keyboard.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

From rdanderson.com

--

That's the original Point of Origin for Earth. What Ra seems to have done is had two planets under his control use similar point of origin for cosmetic purposes. He probably had the pyramids built so they would look like the Point of Origin.

The original PoO, it seems more like a Stargate really, possibly something to represnet it's the first stargate (rotate it left and it could represent Stargate I) or be used as a symbol to represent a stargate depature area or who knows what. But Ra seems to have used the pyramids and sun[s] to represent the symbol, rather than have the symbol represent them

sigpic

Comment

As far as we know the Goa`uld have never customised PoOs before so the Giza PoO representing a pyramid and a sun seems contradictory as the Goa`uld, and therefore pyramids, were not around when the gates were built - this is mainly due to the movie. Here`s my take on the PoOs:

Original gate PoO (antarctic gate): iirc, the symbol resembled a circle with a horizontal line above/below it. To me, this could represent a flat plain in the Antarctic and the sun or possibly just the surface of the Earth in general and the sun.

Giza gate PoO (we all know what it looks like): I think that in its original context on the planet where the gate was placed by the Ancients, this symbol may have represented a mountain with a sun above. It is either complete coincidence or some intention on Ra's part that the symbol represents a pyramid and the sun.

Abydos PoO: No way to escape the pyramid connection on this one. The above mountain explanation could also apply here.

The above explanation removes the pyramid connection from the Giza PoO and puts the two PoOs in separate possible contexts.

Comment

I just don't understand why the Ancients, who built the stargates before the Goa'uld even started taking hosts, would put a 'Å' as the point of origin. granted it may not nesessarily representa pyramid with the sun directly above it but what else could it be? Plus I'm sure theres some refrence in SG-1or the movie that it is a pyramid with the sun above it.

I doubt that the Goa'uld designed their pyramids around this one Point Of Origin because they could pick any other, plus the pyramid shape is the best logical choice anyway, with the Ancient Egyptian level of technology, for building the largeist struture possible.

I do aggree that the Antartica Point Of Origin represents the Stargate. Or at least the solid circular part does although it is more of an oval than a circle. I'm not sure what the Horizontal line represents though.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                      Try Here.

FYI: You can type the "Å" symbol by pressing ALT+143 on your keyboard.
                      Or if you're from Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Finland you can just press the Å button on your keyboard since its a part of our alphabet
                      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

ok so? Have a medal. anyway back to the topic...

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

I remember seeing the Ra-gate point-of-origin symbol in calculations for special relativity a handful of years back. I can't find the exact one now (which had the pyramid shape with the circle above it), but I was able to find this as an example:

The guy who owned the gyro shop down the street from my house in Budapest also would mark my brother's gyro with that symbol (my brother's name is Alex).

Does anyone else remember that symbol from the "higher maths"?
                          "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by tendomentis View Post
                            I remember seeing the Ra-gate point-of-origin symbol in calculations for special relativity a handful of years back. I can't find the exact one now (which had the pyramid shape with the circle above it), but I was able to find this as an example:

The guy who owned the gyro shop down the street from my house in Budapest also would mark my brother's gyro with that symbol (my brother's name is Alex).

Does anyone else remember that symbol from the "higher maths"?
                            Um . . . that would just be a capital lambda. Depending on the math, greek letters are sometimes used instead of roman letters. Not sure what the circle on top would be. A circle is usually only used as a degree sign or a "multiplication" or combination of two functions. In both cases, it isn't directly on top of the variable. Are you sure it wasn't just a dot? It would make sense to have a capital lambda-dot in an equation, basically the derviative of whatever the capital lambda represents.

I highly doubt the Earth PoO is related to a math symbol that comes from the Greek alphabet though.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                              ok so? Have a medal. anyway back to the topic...
                              Oh yes, this post was of much higher quality and relevance than the one it's berating!

On-topic, it could be the number 1 in Ancient for all you know. I doubt the writers have pondered over it, considering the fact that the Ancients weren't introduced until the end of season 3.
                              Although it does raise the fact that when we lost the Giza gate in Nemesis, the Point of Origin symbol never changed for those 2 seasons (until the Antarctic gate blew up). Whatever happened to the Antarctic gate's DHD?

Comment

Working...
                              X