Practical uses of Jaffa helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practical uses of Jaffa helmets

Those Horus guards and Serpent guards with their bulky helmets don't seem to strike me as a very practical piece of combat equipment (the same goes for the rest of the armour and their staff weapons).

Since the helmets have retractive technology, one would assume that there's more to them than just offering some protection and for ornamental purposes.

Just wild guessing maybe the eyes are some night vision goggles or some sort of targeting sensors?
    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

They are simply there to strike fear into the enemy.
    http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
    The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Well...with such fine piece of machinery just to inflict fear and terror seems a bit of a waste to me, especially when the upper body is heavier because of the helmet and with limited vision, which could seriously degrade ones combat worthiness.

If that's all it can do then I wonder how the Jaffa's going to scare people away when he tripped over because he couldn't see the rock right in front of him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
        Those Horus guards and Serpent guards with their bulky helmets don't seem to strike me as a very practical piece of combat equipment (the same goes for the rest of the armour and their staff weapons).

Since the helmets have retractive technology, one would assume that there's more to them than just offering some protection and for ornamental purposes.

Just wild guessing maybe the eyes are some night vision goggles or some sort of targeting sensors?
        Unlikely. The Jaffa's weapons and armor appear to be designed primarily for ceremonial purposes and theatrics meant to impress primitives.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
          If that's all it can do then I wonder how the Jaffa's going to scare people away when he tripped over because he couldn't see the rock right in front of him.
          Not all Jaffa have these helmets, and none of them use them in battle in the extended form. I think it's a feature designed for the "honor guard".
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Well I suppose if you were out on an extended patrol you could turn it upside down and crap in it. That would qualify as a "practical" use I think.

Comment

They're merely designed to represent the Jaffa's superior rank. Why do you think Apothis had 'Jaffa' and 'Serpent Guard'? Teal'c explained it once early in SG-1. The serpent Guards (and other helmet bearing Jaffa) are equivilent to royal guards or high ranking jaffa.
              So basicly, it's nothing more than an ordimental, sign of superiority

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

If you read the stargate novels, the jaffa helmets do have nightvision.

Comment

Well considering you are aren't supposed to see through the helmet, it would make sense to me if there was some sort of internal HUD that would allow them things like nightvision, maybe motion sensors or various other methods of view, so it pretty much turns the Jaffa into Predators.

I've always been disappointed that they've never been able to show us what a jaffa sees inside the helmet as I get the impression it gives them a normal view inside, so they can turn their heads and look up and see eveything normally.

sigpic

Comment

the jafffa helmets are purely for have bull charges

one jaffa must run into another jaffa like a bull or a goat and who ever smashes the helmet off wins
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                      Well considering you are aren't supposed to see through the helmet, it would make sense to me if there was some sort of internal HUD that would allow them things like nightvision, maybe motion sensors or various other methods of view, so it pretty much turns the Jaffa into Predators.

I've always been disappointed that they've never been able to show us what a jaffa sees inside the helmet as I get the impression it gives them a normal view inside, so they can turn their heads and look up and see eveything normally.
                      Night vision is what I always wanted to see as well. I miss that Anubis guard in the movie with his cool glowy eyes in the dark.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 September 2009, 11:36 AM. Reason: Spoiler tagged for width of image.

sigpic

Comment

I think there are 3 Types of Jaffa with helmets.

1.Horus Guards- used by Ra and Ra family (Heru-Her for exp)
                        2.Serpent Guards- Apophis duh
                        3.Setesh Guards- Seth

(info from "Seth")

Comment

I would imagine that they may also contain some form of communication or navigational/battlefield system.

A kind of tool to use when your commander gives you a position to attack, you expand your helmet and look over the information, then retract it again to move/function.

Comment

I could of sworn in either season 8 or 9, when they went back in time, Teal'c used his helmat to do some sort of thing, to get the zpm.

I may be mistakem
                            Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                              I could of sworn in either season 8 or 9, when they went back in time, Teal'c used his helmat to do some sort of thing, to get the zpm.

I may be mistakem
                              Yeah he put on the helmet so none of Ra's guards would notice him! IE, he was disguised!

Comment

Working...
                              X