This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The phase shifting thing...

When one is out of phase, they can't be seen. But how come they can always see those in-phase? Shouldn't it work both ways?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    When one is out of phase, they can't be seen. But how come they can always see those in-phase? Shouldn't it work both ways?
    Not necessarily and there is two different kinds of "out of phase" methods used in Stargate. One is the real out of phase where you are still in our "dimension" but just not visable (the Goa'uld personal Cloak, Sodan Personal Cloak and the Re'tu are examples of this), the Goa'uld and Re'tu is explained as being out of phase by 180 degrees and thus they arent visible but can still see our "0 degree" phase for some reason, not going to pretend to know why.
    The Sodan Cloak on the other hand brings you partially into another dimension of our space, this dimension could propaply be described as a fourth (or fifth or tenth, dosnt matter) dimension and due to the fact that we are three dimensional creatures we cant see into this dimension but since a phase/dimension shifted creature has in effect become extra-dimensional it can.

The Arthurs Mantle device isnt really phase shifting either and is really just a more complete Sodan Cloaking device but where the Sodan Cloak only connects the dimensions and put you between them, the Mantle actually puts you entirely in the other dimension but the same rules roughly apply although since you no longer occupy 3 dimensional space you cant affect it.

DISCLAIMER: This is speculation but thats what I would consider a reasonable explanation, the part about the difference between Goa'uld and Sodan (ancient) Cloaks is not speculation though, it is based on facts from the show.

Comment

That is an interesting question.. why is all the other 'phases' able to see "0" phase...

Where is mccay when you need him!!>>

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        That is an interesting question.. why is all the other 'phases' able to see "0" phase...

Where is mccay when you need him!!>>
        Consider this, if our three dimensions are the basic three then all extra dimensonal entities or items should have the ability to atleast observe them and possibly even affect them.

With this in mind then what seperates alternate universes might very well be only a number of their basic dimensions like the first 3+ (x,y,z,time and a few extra we havent found yet possibly), hell time may not even be an individual dimension but a shared one aswell (which would mean that time is equal in all dimensions).

Another possibility is the close proximity of the dimensions, as in we occupy x,y,z,time and the "out of phase" dimensions are just next to ours, not meaning they start where ours end but as in the start where ours do and end in the same places yet they are slightly out of sync lets say placed on different parts of the timeline infinitely close but still not at the same point. Then if something happened in our dimension it might very well be seen and felt in others due to the closeness but if the other dimension is behind ours it wouldnt be able to affect ours but it would affect dimensions slightly out of sync with it in the same direction.

Going with that train of thought, the Sodan cloak would be like coating (or cloaking ) yourself in the other dimension while maintaining your presence here and thus you can still affect things but the Arthus Mantle device brings you into the other dimension instead of bringing it into ours and thus cloaking you and making you untouchable by ours since you arent in it but in a "trail image" of it.

People who cloaked by Re'tu and Goa'uld cloaks will not lose their ability to affect our space as they are still in it even if their atoms are phased in another direction.

There is a ton more stuff I thought about while thinking about this but this will have to be enough for now, its a very interesting topic and again all of the above is based on a mix of real life physics and the imaginary world of Stargate so it is not fact in anyway, just speculation.

Comment

I'm under the impression goa'uld cloaks aren't phase shifting at all. In Redemption 2, a cloaked cargo ship is fired upon and hit by deathgliders. To me, goa'uld cloaks are more like some kinda advanced optical and sensory cloak, meaning they either bend light and sensor beams around them or some such.
          That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
            I'm under the impression goa'uld cloaks aren't phase shifting at all. In Redemption 2, a cloaked cargo ship is fired upon and hit by deathgliders. To me, goa'uld cloaks are more like some kinda advanced optical and sensory cloak, meaning they either bend light and sensor beams around them or some such.
            I was talking about the Goa'uld Personal Cloaking tech not the ship cloaks, they are two very different designs. I address the issue of being able to affect our space if you read the above post closer.

Comment

I think the phase shifting storyline could be expanded more. E.g. SGC could develop it into the perfect spy/assassin tool. One guy could just plant a bomb somewhere, put it in phase and then he could phase out again.
              "You don't know half of it".
              Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
              (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

The Sodan cloaks, when used the way they were intended, emit some kind of radiation that repells those creatures from that other dimension. the Sodan were protected from the radiation by their symbiotes. When we modified them to make them safer for human use, we compromised that safety feature, allowing extradimensional creatures to bleed through. My question is...could humans use tretonin in concert with an unmodified Sodan cloak without any ill effects? for the Jaffa, we have seen them start to use tretonin in the place of symbiotes. i was wondering if a human could use it for prolonged periods without major negative side-effects. when originally introduced it was not safe for humans to use, but i'm under the impression the current form of tretonin is safer to use.
                That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

If a human uses Tretonin he in effect becomes a Jaffa without a pouch, he loses his immune system and becomes dependant on Tretonin just like a Jaffa is, so its not really a good option.

The bleed through thing really just supports that the Sodan Cloak do indeed work by connecting the dimensions, if you were to pass fully into the other dimension there should be no bleed through.

Comment

Working...
                  X