X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Stargate tech trivia

Just some questions I'm wondering about:

1)Was it ever shown what kind of personal weapons (as in handguns, rifles, etc.) the Aschen use? Are they projectile-based or directed energy-based weapons?

2)I seem to remember (god knows where from) that the Hebridian ships shown in "Space race" were mentioned as having sonic weapons. Is that correct? (And if it is, what kind of sense does it make? Sonic weapons can't work in space).

3) Is it possible to figure out a planet's location in space by knowing its gate address?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

3A: yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

1)Was it ever shown what kind of personal weapons (as in handguns, rifles, etc.) the Aschen use? Are they projectile-based or directed energy-based weapons?
      I *think* the Aschen weapons were shown in 2010 when SG-1 were trying to send the message through the gate and had to assault the Aschen security forces in order to do that.
      Maybe some one could confirm that.
      2)I seem to remember (god knows where from) that the Hebridian ships shown in "Space race" were mentioned as having sonic weapons. Is that correct? (And if it is, what kind of sense does it make? Sonic weapons can't work in space).
      Searched Gateworld's transcript of 'Space Race' and there is no mention of the word 'sonic'.
      3) Is it possible to figure out a planet's location in space by knowing its gate address?
      Yes it is. In 'Evolution, Part 1' Jacob/Selmak uses Tok'ra star mapping technology to work out the location of Tartarus. And as the gate address is just made up of star constellations it stands to reason a gate address can be used. Also, in 'Memento' when the Prometheus' engines malfunction, they work out the location of the nearest planet with a Stargate using the gate address database.

Comment

Maybe there weapons were like railguns,capable of accelerating projectile weapons 10 fold of what there normally capable of.That would explain there term for "sonic weapons".
        LookSmart

Comment

The Aschen prefer biological weapons for their enemies, used at long range (like the bio-bomb they tried to send through the stargate to Earth in "2001"), and have little need for hand weapons. But like talyn2k1 said, we saw energy weapons in the 'gate terminal at the end of "2010" which might well be Aschen (assuming they weren't reverse-engineered Ancient or Goa'uld weapons). Either way, the Aschen don't have loud projectile-based guns like us; at the start of "2010", the Aschen were unhappy with the loud bangs of our guns during the ceremony.

The crashed Hebridian ship in season 6's "Forsaken" had a sonic weapon, which was like a really loud, high-pitched intruder alert intended to stop anyone from breaking into the prison transport.

Yeah. The gate address is the planet's coordinates (at least, the first six symbols are; the seventh is the point of origin, and only applies if you're travelling by stargate).
          Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
            The crashed Hebridian ship in season 6's "Forsaken" had a sonic weapon, which was like a really loud, high-pitched intruder alert intended to stop anyone from breaking into the prison transport.
            The Ceberus I believe, same ship used by Warrick in season 7, for the Kon Garat loop race.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

yes in space race i believe im not sure it wasnt a sonic wave it was a comm wave that ended up overloading the other ships engines and everything.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

What is that? (to see the image link)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...gy/message.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tanis View Post
                  What is that? (to see the image link)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...gy/message.jpg
                  what's that a cap from?
                  That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Appears to be a hand holding a pencil.
                    Disliked a recent episode?
                    Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
                    The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
                      what's that a cap from?
                      I think it's from message in a bottle..the microscopic writing on the device.

Edit: Yep, it is.
                      Last edited by ZakeD; 13 April 2007, 12:13 AM.

Comment

The sense is that it is a prison ship and prison ships have to land to transfer prisoners, it'd be handy to have a non-lethal weapon when there is a prison uprising.

Comment

The Aschen use Biogenic Weapon

Spoilers from Counterstrike
                          Spoiler:
                          The Hebridan has fallen to the Ori. So maybe Sonic weapons can't work in space

Yep. Carter has said a few times she could roughly work out a planets location using gate Symbols. I believe this was the method that the Daedalus found Atlantis. Also Daniel states this in 'Promethus Unbound'.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X