This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shades of Grey question???

When the azgard were beaming technology out Jack told the the rest of of group he would be keeping the stargate open so they couldn't dial out. When we cut to SGC we see his arm was still in the worm hole. How is this possible?

It's been said in a few episodes that the Stargate doesn't send matter that has passed the event horizon until the whole 'object' has passed the event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrus View Post
      It's been said in a few episodes that the Stargate doesn't send matter that has passed the event horizon until the whole 'object' has passed the event horizon.
      That's my point he shouldn't have been able to keep his hand in the wormhole, the whole body should have been sent through.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
        That's my point he shouldn't have been able to keep his hand in the wormhole, the whole body should have been sent through.
        The wormhole is one way he couldn't go through back to the planet from Earth. He could however keep the wormhole from disconnecting by putting his hand through the event horizon. It's not like the stargate sucks you through when you put a bodypart in it.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

i believe it was explained in the SGA first season the one about the buggy thing on sheps neck.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
            Humans are 3-dimensional, the event horizon is 2-dimensional (pretty much). Therefore it would be basically impossible for a person's whole body to be shot out of the wormhole in the same instant.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Question

Can you put your hand through an incoming wormhole? I mean if you jumped into it then what would happen?

Just wondering
              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic
              So whats the worst that could happen?
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                Can you put your hand through an incoming wormhole? I mean if you jumped into it then what would happen?
                Short answer: you die.

Long answer: Your body gets stored in the buffer of the gate, but cannot be transmitted due to it being the incoming wormhole. You cannot move when in the buffer so you are deleted when the wormhole shuts down.
                Presumably, you actually can survive this by being revived from the residue left in the buffer, ala Teal'c in "48 hours".

you can move your hand through an incoming wormhole because there is a physical link between the hand in the artificially created region of subspace (aka the buffer) and the outside world. the hand is not actually demolecularised until the entire object (body) has entered the artificial subspace.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

I think it was in the movie where someone stood in "water" and he was slowly pulled into the wormhole.

I think putting your hand into the wormhole will tell it that there is something on its way through the wormhole, and it will not close till it is all the way through, hense why it closed when he brought his hand back through.
                  Visit my Website

Comment

Its an error, and we'll live with it.

Technically speaking the hand does nothing, as the Outgoing DHD can cut power to the gate and dissolve O'Neill's hand, then dial elsewhere.

It is possible however that the SGC has learned to power wormholes from the destination end to preserve the wormhole. The possibilitiy of this has been alluded to many times.

Comment

The gate will stay open for a maximum of 38 minutes assuming there is an energy signature still stored in it's memory, unless power is prematurely cut and there is no DHD on the receiving end to compensate. As Jack's arm hadnt been remolecularised and power was still being fed to the gate, the wormhole would not shut down for 38 minutes or until all matter had been fully sent. Keeping his arm beyond the event horizon after he stepped through forced the wormhole to stay open until either he pulled it through, or the wormhole shut down after the 38minutes.

Comment

Wasnt it just the end of hes pistol that was in the worm hole and not hes hand?

Comment

he didn't have to keep his had in there, wouldn't radio waves keep it open

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo View Post
                            i believe it was explained in the SGA first season the one about the buggy thing on sheps neck.
                            Well, though the principle is possibly the same, since we've seen Ford lying half through the gate, and pulled back by McKay, 38 minutes posed a problem that does not fit with Shades of Grey, since O'Neill was on the receiving side of the wormhole (while in 38 they were stuck inside the departure gate), and technically, a stargate shouldn't store matter sent this way back, since the wormhole is one way, as far as matter is concerned.

This would probably be explained as a safety measure, if someone was to fall back inside the stargate.

It was said in Hundred Days that Teal'c should avoid falling back into the stargate, like the MALP did, simply because once almost totally swallowed, there would be nothing to pull him back.

Fortunately, O'Neill just poked the pool with his arm, so like any human, he was still able to pull his arm off the event horizon.

That said, it's perfectly logical that it is strongly advised to be careful not stepping back past the point where nothing can bring you back out of the dematerialization curtain.

It also poses the problem of what happens if you stand in the way? If you put your arm in the event horizon, while somebody is reintegrated precisely where your arm is.

Obviously, msot fluids and small particles are filtered, but what happens for massive volumes?

Probably why in Atlantis they were asking people to move on.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Interesting point..

Comment

Working...
                              X