Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Tok'ra Hostess - I am reading and loving The Hidden One and you do, indeed, deserve the royal title of Scribe from what I've read so far. Awesome! I plan to stay up late tonight and finish the whole epic.
    <blushes furiously> Glad you're enjoying it.

Whoohoo! Royal Scribe! Wow, words fail me....

Samanda is becoming an Enchanted and Playful Kingdom!
    CG
    Enchanted Kingdom, eh...?

Okay, as sung to the tune of It's a small world after all:

It's a thread of laughter
    A thread of cheer
    We post all our hopes
    And some of our fears
    There's so much that we share
    It's because we're aware
    This is Sam's thread after all

There is just one Forum
    And one golden thread
    And blue Jello is free
    To ev-er-y friend
    Though the fandom divide
    This thread will abide
    'Cause it's Sam's thread after all

Sing it with me!

Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

that fic was yours! I didn't realize! I loved that fic! /me reaches for the rep button

And your song should be named Samanda's National Anthem

Comment

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Robert Cooper wrote Singularity and Brad Wright wrote Solitudes. I thought to myself, they got it right! And it does seem to support the fact that a good writer should be able to transcend gender lines and get into the heart and soul of the character being portrayed. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a woman is not needed among the writers in order to offer another perspective, another lens into reality. But, just what would a woman's perspective be?
        Originally posted by jckfan55
        Yes, I think the issue is more *well rounded writers* even more than *women writers*. Generally (though I haven't made a study of it) I find Cooper and Wright to have a good sense of the characters and their episodes are among the best. I also agree with what you say about "another perspective". Just having someone in there to shake up the club; the "group think" if you will that could (has?) easily set in if you have a very small group of writers who tend to have similar outlooks.
        Have been thinking about my season 4 choices for Best Carter episodes, and I was going through the episode 2010... and found myself enjoying it so much... here's an episode that includes a look at the private life (and softer side) of Sam Carter, and yet keeps her in the thick of things with regards to the main scifi plotline of the story. Sam gets to make the 'final heroic act' as she dies throwing the note through the 'Gate. In many episodes, such final scenes would go to O'Neill. In this episode, he doesn't quite make it - and Sam gets to finish the job.

There were actually so many well-written and well-filmed scenes
        Sam and Joe - when they discuss their inability to conceive and then the Aschen plot and Joe's knowledge... and then his help with what they are planning
        Sam and Janet - when they discuss their 'obselescence' by Aschen science, and then later when Janet tells Sam that her ovaries are damaged and that she'll never be able to have a child
        Sam and Daniel - in the "Embarkation Room"... those glasses and Daniel's hat... 'and now we're walking'... 'not her favorite team'...! LOL!
        Sam and Jack - where Jack was written as his cranky, sarcastic self... and yet, they allowed some of his heart to show through
        The ending scene - where they are all involved - it's a team effort to pull it off

I began wondering who wrote and directed that episode... went and checked... Mr. Andy Mikita directed it and it was written by Mr. Brad Wright! Kudos (and blue jello) to both men! Please write and direct more Carter episodes!
        So, Entity and 2010 are my top two choices, but I'm still pondering my third choice... there are so many good choices...
        Small Victories (saving the Asgards with her 'dumb idea')
        Upgrades (pool shark)
        Divide and Conquer (where Sam has to kill Martouf)
        Beneath the Surface
        Prodigy (which shows the strength of Carter's character - she appreciates other people's intelligence, and is not threatened by it)
        Exodus (blowing up a sun!, scenes with Jacob)
        I need some help folks! Which do I vote for?

Comment

Now that I've had time to read most of the latest Stargate Magazine, I thought I'd share more of it with you. The excerpts below are from an article written on set during the filming of SGA's The Siege and SG1's Moebius. Although no author is listed, I believe it was written by Sharon Gosling. It's a lengthy article, but here are some of the parts I think might be of interest to Samandans. Be warned, there are minor spoilers for Moebius.

…After the first take, DeLuise asks for an adjustment to the items on the table between Tapping and Shanks, and suggests that it might be fun to have the alternate Carter eating a bowl of blue jello, as a nod to the Carter in SG-1. Amanda Tapping thinks it’s a great idea, and so the next take is filmed with the dessert in front of her.

A few minutes later, the fire alarm goes off, and everyone has to evacuate the building. It takes about 15 minutes for the all-clear to sound, and the crew take the opportunity for a welcome break, stretching their legs in the cold Vancouver sunshine. Unfortunately, it also means that people’s concentration has been broken, and getting back into the right frame of mind for filming after this unscheduled stop isn’t too easy. The crew take up their positions again before the actors return to the set, but no one can settle. Peter DeLuise launches into an impromptu stand-up routine under the guise of ‘helping’ everyone focus, but from the laughter that ripples through the assembled crew his jokes seem to be having something of an opposite effect!

Eventually everyone manages to get back into place and the actors are called back to the set. Filming starts again, this time on a slightly later scene (39) where the couple are meeting again. This time, proceedings hit a slight snag when Amanda Tapping can't help giggling as she tries to deliver a line that includes the word 'butts'. Michael Shanks doesn't help by laughing too, and then saying in a playful whisper, "You said the word, 'butts!"' The giggling continues as neither actor can manage to keep a straight face for long enough to get the correct line out. In the end, Peter Deluise tells Shanks to start off on his own, which breaks the 'corpsing' cycle and lets both of the actors settle back into their roles.

…During a brief break to re-set the scene from a new angle, Amanda Tapping comes over to chat. She's having fun playing this new, geeky Sam Carter, despite her current, rather unflattering, wardrobe. It's been a long hard year for everyone on the show, and with the end now in sight -just a week to go before filming wraps on the eighth season -the actress admits that she can't wait for the break.

"Right now I'm happy to be wrapping," confesses Tapping. "I'm just really exhausted. We're all tired! We just had a week's break, but I was working on another series for Sci Fi Channel called Proof Positive. So now I just need to sleep!"

Despite being tired, the actress is enthusiastic about how the eighth season has turned out. "It's been a
          pretty heavy year," she says, "because there was a period of time when we were shooting four different
          episodes at a time. That was nutty, but It’s been fun, and it's gone by really fast. This year there have been three different versions of Carter. Repllcator Carter, regular Carter and this version of Carter -and they're all very different. Moebius is a lot of fun," she continues. "There's a lot going on because we are in alternate timelines and real timelines and alternate selves- It’s about what would happen if our characters never joined the Stargate Program. So as you can see from what I'm shooting here, Daniel and Sam never joined. I never joined the military, and we're just scientific, geeky people!" Tapping laughs at the thought,
          It's really fun to play."

NC

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            So, Entity and 2010 are my top two choices, but I'm still pondering my third choice... there are so many good choices...
            Small Victories (saving the Asgards with her 'dumb idea')
            Upgrades (pool shark)
            Divide and Conquer
            (where Sam has to kill Martouf)
            Beneath the Surface
            Prodigy (which shows the strength of Carter's character - she appreciates other people's intelligence, and is not threatened by it)
            Exodus (blowing up a sun!, scenes with Jacob)
            I need some help folks! Which do I vote for?
            I know its tough All those episodes you have listed have great Sam scenes in them, and faced with a choice like that I'd fall back on whichever episode has the best Sam action scenes. But none of those have much Sam action
            I'd have to say Prodigy. I completly forgot about that episode when I was voting, and probably woulda voted for it for the reasons you said. Plus Sam lecturing on Astrophysics is a great image

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              Now that I've had time to read most of the latest Stargate Magazine, I thought I'd share more of it with you.
              Thanks for the snips NC :thumbsup:

Comment

As a Carter fan who is disturbed by Carter-bashing by other fans, I was interested in how our 'Best Carter episodes' compared with the GW general fan-base ratings of good Stargate episodes - because I think that the way to eliminate much of the Sam-bashing is to write solid Carter episodes that involve Sam heavily (and positively) into the main scifi plotlines of the episodes.

What I found for the first three seasons was that our Best Carter Episodes were also highly commended, recognized and appreciated by the general GW fanbase .

From our Season 1 Poll, our Best Carter Episodes were
                - Singularity GW***
                - Solitudes GW***
                - Hathor GW***

The Gateworld rating was 3-stars (***) for each of these episodes

And the general GW fan-base poll results were basically either 'Outstanding or Good Show'!

From our Season 2 Poll, our Best Carter Episodes were
                - In The Line Of DutyGW**1/2
                - Tokra 1 GW***1/2
                - Tokra 2 GW***
                - A Matter of Time GW***

And again, the general GW fan-base poll results were basically either 'Outstanding or Good Show'!

From our Season 3 Poll, our Best Carter Episodes were
                - Jolinar's MemoriesGW****
                - The Devil You Know GW***1/2
                - Foothold GW***
                - Point Of View GW***

And again, the general GW fan-base poll results were basically either 'Outstanding or Good Show'!

By the way, you can *still* vote in these Gateworld polls -- even for episodes of past seasons!
                Just go to the GW Episode Directory, and then pick a season and then pick an episode - then look at the far right side of the screen and you will see the poll - you can vote, and then view the to-date results.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

Enchanted Kingdom, eh...?

Okay, as sung to the tune of It's a small world after all:

It's a thread of laughter
                  A thread of cheer
                  We post all our hopes
                  And some of our fears
                  There's so much that we share
                  It's because we're aware

There is just one Forum
                  And one golden thread
                  And blue Jello is free
                  To ev-er-y friend
                  Though the fandom divide
                  This thread will abide
                  'Cause it's Sam's thread after all

Sing it with me!

Well, it took me about five hours to read your amazing Hidden One and I'll have to say that it was excellently written ... your writing style drew me right in. I loved your main idea of Sam and AmonPtah not being able to blend. Sam toughs it out! And the attention to mythology, geology, biology and early-season arcs boggled my mind. How long did it take to write something like this? You and AstroG should be writing novels like the Fandemonium people. Lots of blue, blue Jello to you and Machello!

I love the song and, as our new Head of Security and Fidei Defensor has said: it can be the Samandan Anthem.

Peace and Good Night! We can all sleep easy tonight ... Agent Dark is on guard.
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 February 2005, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Parting shots for the evening, from Season 4's Exodus:

Blowing Up A Sun!
                    Peace and Good Night! We can all sleep easy tonight ... Agent Dark is on guard.
                    'Night all!
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 19 February 2005, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I haven't voted for season 4 yet because I'm having a hard time picking my top three. Season 4 had a lot of episodes that showcased Sam, which is a great thing, but makes it very difficult to pick only three.

1. Entity
                      2. Divide and Conquer

Small Victories was blast to watch Sam with Thor and watching her hug Thor is absolutely priceless.

Upgrades is one of my favorite episodes to watch because it's just so much fun, and to top it off we get to see Amanda make that absolutely sweet pool shot.

Window of Opportunity is hysterically funny and although it is predominately a Jack episode, AT is amazing in the scenes she does have. I really love the expressions on her face when Jack is staring in the briefing room and last scene.

Beneath the Surface: My shippiness comes through in this one, and AT is absolutely stunning in this episode even covered with dirt. I would kill for eyes like hers.

Tangent: One again our lovely heroine saves the day by bringing home Jack and Teal'c. WTG Sam!

Serpent's Venom: Oddly enough I managed to miss this episode entirely until a few weeks ago. Had I known what I was missing I would have ran to watch it. I loved nearly every scene with Sam in it. From a very skittish Sam trying to get inside the bomb, to Jack sliding Sam out from underneath it.

2010 : I loved this episode. I know it's a really tragic one but I truly thought AT did a fantasic job in this episode. The scenes between Sam and Janet were wonderfully done and I honestly felt Sam's pain and betrayal when she found she couldn't have any children.

Entity: As I said before this is my all-time favorite SG1 episode or close to it.
                      I was amazed with AT's performance in this one from beginning to end. Never once did I look at the entity and see Carter.

Like I said, too many episodes that I really like and very hard to pick only three. Hopefully season 9 will be a showcase for AT just as this one was.

ForeverSG1

Comment

I posted this over in the S/J Shipper Thread but I thought you might enjoy it over here as well.

Comment

Astro

Thanks for this ... it's great because this was really a Daniel-centric episode but Sam's scenes were powerful.

My ultrafavorite line is: (said to Jack) "No. I just have my opinion. But that used to be worth something to you."

I would love, just love, to see a scene of that intensity between the two of them now!

CG

I know orange is AT's favorite color, but praise the woman for being the only person I know who could actually look good wearing that orange jumpsuit!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I posted this over in the S/J Shipper Thread but I thought you might enjoy it over here as well.

LOL A great concept! And AT really did win some money off those pool shots, right? She nailed them and they didn't even need the professional they actually brought in as backup.

Welcome to Samanda

Comment

I voted for 2010, Entity and Beneath the Surface....

And I'm only just now noticing the pattern: In all three eps AT plays two distinct personalities!
                              Gracie

Comment

Well, it took me about five hours to read How long did it take to write something like this?
                                Oh, about five hours... give or take 14 months....

But I had a ton of help from a geologist, a doctor, an engineer - from the US Army Corps of engineers, no less.

I find I write best when I can bounce ideas off of others, but that's kind of hard to do if you want to go pro, since the publishing houses don't want to touch material that been on the net.

I wonder... are there any writers here that want to go pro but that would appreciate some support? Is there a way we could get together?

[email protected]
                                Gracie

Comment

Working...
                                X