Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam
    Felt like posting some Sam Carter kicken major a$$ pics!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/wDorothy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...am/Wdefend.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...gunspecial.jpg

More to come soon!!! (Decided to wait and spread the love over a period of
    time)

EDIT: MY 100TH POST HERE! YAAAAAAAY
    Great pics MajorSam! Please post more!

And congrats on you 100th post!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      Oi! I can't believe I missed so many pages in this thread!

I keep the forum on pretty much all day at work but when the page times out (because work takes me away from the important stuff<grumbles>) I wind up several pages from where I was. Well, in this thread, at any rate. We're some busy, here.

Anyways, thanks all, for the rec. <blushes>

Night Terrors is terrific and so is The Many Shades of Night by Sharon Nuttycombe

http://home.no.net/fanfic/stargate/manyshnight.html

Excellent Sam and Jack friendship with huge Sam whumpage.
      The Many Shades of Night is a great Carterfic!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Yes! And she had a vision that was quite sylistic and dark which she had to fight for. And it paid off. That's why she won a Leo nomination for her first time out. She did her homework and committed her normal 110% to the project.

Slightly OT here but a good place to bring this up: when AT does the audio commentary for Resurrection she handles herself so professionally and it's a joy to listen to her talk with so much passion and precision about her work, her craft. On the other hand, IMO, some of the other directors, who have been doing this for years, reduce their commentaries to sophomoric ramblings about bodily functions and animal-house jokes. Amanda (who certainly enjoys joking around and is no prude) showed by her narrative that there is a time to be serious and grown-up and take pride in your profession. Sorry, I've been carrying this bad taste in my mouth around for quite awhile and needed to get rid of it! I'm sure some of you may not agree, but it irks the hell out of me.
        I loved a lot of the camera work AT used in Resurrection. She played a lot with texture and, as a person with a background in art, those effects caught my eye right away. I also loved the ending shot. It was fabulous. I hate the ending shots where everyone is just standing still and the scene lasts just a few seconds too long. The actors all end up looking like mannequins and whatever impact the scene might have is lost. The "moving in" on the action in the opening shot and the "moving out" on the closing shot was just perfect in Resurrection.

As for the commentaries...AT sometimes sounds a little shy about expressing herself about the mechanics of doing a show when she is with another director, but there was none of that hesitancy when she commented about Resurrection. Sometimes the woman is much too self-effacing! As for some of the other commentaries...Martin Wood is always great. I've learned a lot from him. The other guy...the humor got a little "old" for me as well after the first two or three listens.

So much for the OT comments. To get back on topic...Sam rocks!

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

A call to nomination of Tok'ra Hostess as Royal Scribe!

Please vote by keyboard or bean (if the bean counter is sober)!
          i second the nomination!!
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Allright, now I have to start by saying that you all had me in stitches
            when I read through the most recent posts!

Originally posted by Coley
            Oi! You move on too quickly!!

Go back to her boots - go back to her boots!!!!
            Tok'raHostess
            Jumping up and down in anticipation of green jello!
            Within the Serpent's Grasp there is a shot of her and Danny working their way down the coridoor on the mother ship. There is a fairly long shoot of first her feet and then danny's (or is it vice verca?!!) Can anyone put a clip up
            Does anyone want to put a clip up now you've all moved on to pastures new?!!!
            Coley - you get the award for 'Best Memory'! How in the world did you remember that scene? It's a short scene! I am in awe of your powers of observation and recollection!

So... here it is...
            from a stunning collection of 30-some-odd stop-action screen caps as Sam and Daniel creep along the hallway...

Carterchic (aka Sam's boots - for the female hero who isn't wearing heels when the action starts!)

First Sam passes Daniel, and then it's Sam in front and Daniel right behind...

(Note: Photos are screen caps from the episode In The Serpent's Grasp. This scene was very dark - and therefore the pics are grainy. I also lightened them and increased the contrast - otherwise the screen caps were just fuzzy black on black. Hope the end results aren't too bad).

Astrogeologist - thanks for the season 3 bar graph and wow wow wow you put up some fantastic captures from Jolinars Memories - simply wonderful!!! Thankyou!!! Dashed that I can't rep you!!!!
            Thanks for the kudos!

Major Sam - Buy one get one free?!!! - Oh my god!!! Quickly reaches for the hankie to mop fevered brow, fervently counts all beans, slides a few counters on the abacus, mops brow again - whew!!! Yes given a reasonable selling price we can just about fund the offer - bound to be a popular one - so may just break even!! Phew - reaches for the sloe gin, sits back and relaxes into reading posts again!!
            First Financial Report for the Court of Samanda - Thanks to the excellent marketing ploy of our beloved President - the buy one Sam get one free promption has been so sucessfull that I am at this moment drowning in beans (cough, splutter). The Queen will be pleased!!!
            Dear Royal Accountant:

It has come to my attention that you may be imbibing on the job. Frankly, as Court Jester, it is not my place to dwell on the social behaviours in our realm ... but your ... hmm, how should I put this delicately? ... your sloshing back the sloe gin may interfere with your handling of the Samandan finances. Your position requires a steady hand at all times. What if you get tipsy and spill your drink on the beans? Now that the President is offering that wonderful two-for-one purchase of Queen Samanda's likeness, the masses will soon be clambering to the Samandan "Gate". You and your beans must be ready!

Of course, if that were the only social behaviour I had to worry about ... but it has also come to my attention that our much beloved Madam President and our esteemed Wise Elder have been seen together in the marketplace, perusing certain types of, ahem, questionable adult literature at the more seamy book stalls. I do not believe that the Samandan annual budget contains a bean line for this type of purchase, and am sincerely hoping that you are clear minded enough to recognize the need to approach the Royal Court with a petition for an acquisition line for "adult entertainment". Perhaps, Madam President will even allow your sloe gin to be listed under the same account.

As Jester, my days are spent in the purer and more innocent pleasures of the realm: juggling, singing, playing on my lyre, solving riddles, telling simple jokes, writing poems, and reading bedtime stories to the Samandan young. However, when the sun goes down on our fair kingdom, and the kiddies are in bed ... I would not be completely loathe to sharing a sloe gin or two over a good book.
            Keep the beans dry ....
            ROTFL!
            Coley and Chopingal... you two have the best sense of humor!

ChopinGal - cool font choice - very appropriate for a Royal High Court.

Coley... went net-surfing for some beans to help pad the Royal Coffers...
            http://images.google.com/images?q=be...=Google+Search
            http://www2.wgbh.org/mbcweis/ltc/leadpois/beans.jpg
            http://www.usda.gov/gipsa/reference-...kRedKidney.jpg
            http://www.star.le.ac.uk/classroomsp...ly%20Beans.jpg
            http://agronomy.ucdavis.edu/gepts/pb...om%20beans.jpg
            http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/aquacul...ee%20beans.JPG
            http://www.tropag-fieldtrip.cornell....adag/Beans.jpg
            Last edited by astrogeologist; 19 February 2005, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Okey Dokey - I have been lazy long enough!
              Can anyone tell me how I get the shaded quotes into my posts? How do you do multiple quotes?
              Hi Coley! To put something in a blue-shaded quote box,
              put [/quote] at the end of your quoted text and
              put [quote] before the beginning of your quoted text
              (I listed them backwards here so that GW's HTML editor wouldn't see them as commands).

To quote someone specific, insert the person's screenname like this in the beginning tag: [quote=chopingal]
              PM me and we can continue this discussion if you want to

Comment

Dear Royal Accountant:

It has come to my attention that you may be imbibing on the job. Frankly, as Court Jester, it is not my place to dwell on the social behaviours in our realm ... but your ... hmm, how should I put this delicately? ... your sloshing back the sloe gin may interfere with your handling of the Samandan finances. Your position requires a steady hand at all times. What if you get tipsy and spill your drink on the beans? Now that the President is offering that wonderful two-for-one purchase of Queen Samanda's likeness, the masses will soon be clambering to the Samandan "Gate". You and your beans must be ready!

Of course, if that were the only social behaviour I had to worry about ... but it has also come to my attention that our much beloved Madam President and our esteemed Wise Elder have been seen together in the marketplace, perusing certain types of, ahem, questionable adult literature at the more seamy book stalls. I do not believe that the Samandan annual budget contains a bean line for this type of purchase, and am sincerely hoping that you are clear minded enough to recognize the need to approach the Royal Court with a petition for an acquisition line for "adult entertainment". Perhaps, Madam President will even allow your sloe gin to be listed under the same account.

As Jester, my days are spent in the purer and more innocent pleasures of the realm: juggling, singing, playing on my lyre, solving riddles, telling simple jokes, writing poems, and reading bedtime stories to the Samandan young. However, when the sun goes down on our fair kingdom, and the kiddies are in bed ... I would not be completely loathe to sharing a sloe gin or two over a good book.

Respectfully yours,

CG/the Jester

Dear Court Jester, I am pleased at your concern for our great land. You are upholding the good purity of Samanda with honour and precision. I commend you!

I was indeed wary of this suggestion being brought to mind. Indeed such things must be watched for, but I do not believe any of my subjects would ever become... irresponsible, especially not during their work time. For we must all remember that we are, above all, in service to our Queen Samanda, and any who bring shame to themselves, bring shame to the Queen herself, and that is the most ghastly crime any could commit!!!!!

I believe these things are indeed slovenly, but when used in moderation can perhaps… improve certain aspects of life, bring diversity to certain events. To rid our land of any...misconceptions, I put forth a Royal Census. All those in favour of acquiring a budget more "adult entertainment" hold up one bean! Our beans could indeed be used for the betterment of Samanda, and the spreading of the word of our Queen, but if we forget our basic desires, and deny ourselves them, than we should forget to be human, and I’m sure our beloved Queen would not want a land of zombies!

Royal Accountant, how much do we have in the Royal coffers???

LOL I can't believe I'm writing this, but I just time-traveled back on this thread, after your naughty remark at the top of page 70, and couldn't help but notice that you, Madam President, actually had the #1369 post ... on page 69! And, gosh, look what you said!

Perhaps this is where you should place the photo of AT in the morgue!

Oh my gracious me… I did not even realize that myself! I am indeed apologetic if I have offended any of my people by the various comments I have made regarding certain… sexual, subjects. However I must reinstate that I am most probably the youngest of us here, and if ye elder than I cannot stand the mention of such things… It is indeed worrisome!

As much as I would wish to post said morgue picture again, I do not wish to inflict such morbid feelings among the subjects of Samanda today. Having said that, I did write some fabulous Sam-Whumping fan fic last nite, and if any would wish to get some samples of it, PM me

Please continue to bring us up-to-snuff as you take on this arduous task. (Heaven knows what kind of promo our Madam President will be thinking up next!)

Keep the beans dry ....

Your Comrade-in-Charm,

Court Jester

I’m indeed thinking of some fabulous new ones as I speak (type) that I’m sure will please the Queen and all the subjects of the land greatly.

Overall I am indeed greatly pleased at the wonderful sales of the likeness of the Queen, I am preparing a report for her that will hopefully be delivered in the coming days. For all your hard work I give unto all my subjects…

A BLUE BEAN! *insert crowd gasp here*

Yes indeed, the highest honour of all, for the Blue Bean is the secret ingredient of Blue Jello, yes Blue Jello in it’s sacred raw form! Nothing besides the grace of our Queen’s words could out-do this honour. I hope you all treasure and respect this beautiful bean. If you choose to use it, it can be used only once, but for almost anything you could wish for in our land of Samanda.
                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Memo to the Royal Accountant:

As Wise Elder, I would humbly request a bonus bowl of beans be awarded to our beloved Royal Jester for her messages to Samanda this day(and on all days). Said messages have most certainly demonstrated excellence in her calling: instiller of all things happy and optimistic.

Another batch of beans to your most sober self as well, for your own cheerful messages which have surely placed smiles on all the faces in Samanda.

NC
                  Last edited by NearlyCircular; 19 February 2005, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
                    I loved a lot of the camera work AT used in Resurrection. She played a lot with texture and, as a person with a background in art, those effects caught my eye right away. I also loved the ending shot. It was fabulous. I hate the ending shots where everyone is just standing still and the scene lasts just a few seconds too long. The actors all end up looking like mannequins and whatever impact the scene might have is lost. The "moving in" on the action in the opening shot and the "moving out" on the closing shot was just perfect in Resurrection.

As for the commentaries...AT sometimes sounds a little shy about expressing herself about the mechanics of doing a show when she is with another director, but there was none of that hesitancy when she commented about Resurrection. Sometimes the woman is much too self-effacing! As for some of the other commentaries...Martin Wood is always great. I've learned a lot from him. The other guy...the humor got a little "old" for me as well after the first two or three listens.

So much for the OT comments. To get back on topic...Sam rocks!
                    You must be in the film industry ... the panning in and panning out was definitely an artistic touch and, as you said, it was a cut above some of the more common approaches, integrating the whole piece. And this on her first time out!

I think there is a part of AT which is innately shy ... she reveals this in some of her earlier interviews (see some of the transcripts at her website www.amandatapping.com) ... I remember her saying that playing Sam Carter had actually made her more self confident and bolder ... kind of life imitating art. Growing up and working in a world of men, she may have learned to let the guys do more of the talking - of course, this is just MHO, I can't speak for Amanda and don't mean to. But I get the feeling that, sometimes, on those audio commentaries, she just holds back and lets the other guy keep on rambling. This may be a female thing ... sometimes, at a business meeting, I find myself not as willing to jump in once the talking heads are in full gear. I have to remind myself that my input is just as valid and important to the team.

I think Martin Wood and Brad Wright are two of the veterans who really are able to handle the commentaries quite well. Regarding all the commentators for the DVDs, I think a common danger is their getting way too technical and losing their audience in the mix - Amanda was able to take us along for the ride in Resurrection and it was great. She managed an even balance between explaining her craft and sharing herself as a person. I would like to hear the actors, and not the directors/producers, do more of their own commentaries too ...

Elfin, keep posting here - Samandans love thoughtful critiques and kindhearted fans. And, couldn't agree more - Sam does rock!
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 11:51 AM.

Comment

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Robert Cooper wrote Singularity and Brad Wright wrote Solitudes. I thought to myself, they got it right! And it does seem to support the fact that a good writer should be able to transcend gender lines and get into the heart and soul of the character being portrayed. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a woman is not needed among the writers in order to offer another perspective, another lens into reality. But, just what would a woman's perspective be?
                      Yes, I think the issue is more *well rounded writers* even more than *women writers*. Generally (though I haven't made a study of it) I find Cooper and Wright to have a good sense of the characters and their episodes are among the best. I also agree with what you say about "another perspective". Just having someone in there to shake up the club; the "group think" if you will that could (has?) easily set in if you have a very small group of writers who tend to have similar outlooks.

Comment

Yes! And she had a vision that was quite sylistic and dark which she had to fight for. And it paid off. That's why she won a Leo nomination for her first time out. She did her homework and committed her normal 110% to the project.

Slightly OT here but a good place to bring this up: when AT does the audio commentary for Resurrection she handles herself so professionally and it's a joy to listen to her talk with so much passion and precision about her work, her craft. On the other hand, IMO, some of the other directors, who have been doing this for years, reduce their commentaries to sophomoric ramblings about bodily functions and animal-house jokes. Amanda (who certainly enjoys joking around and is no prude) showed by her narrative that there is a time to be serious and grown-up and take pride in your profession. Sorry, I've been carrying this bad taste in my mouth around for quite awhile and needed to get rid of it! I'm sure some of you may not agree, but it irks the hell out of me.

Thank you! I once got a red ding for saying I found PDL's commentaries annoying. Some of the joking around is fine & AT is funny with PDL--among other things, she reins him in a bit--but puleez, we are not all 8 year old boys here. I loved the commentary with those 2 in one episode where PDL (not in bathroom humor mode, for once) commented on why a bandage was not huge in a scene. He didn't want the scene to be all about the bandage. Then he proceeded to go on and on about it & AT said something like, "So, moving on." And & just cracked me up--they seemed to have a really easy, friendly relationship, where she could give him a hard time like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i am sure that all jack did was put her name on the list and recommend her promotion. and i am sure that it's all on the up and up...but people WILL make the worst of a situation if they want to
                          I was inclined to think her promotion was in the pipeline & Jack got permission to announce it early, before the official paperwork arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            Yes, I think the issue is more *well rounded writers* even more than *women writers*. Generally (though I haven't made a study of it) I find Cooper and Wright to have a good sense of the characters and their episodes are among the best. I also agree with what you say about "another perspective". Just having someone in there to shake up the club; the "group think" if you will that could (has?) easily set in if you have a very small group of writers who tend to have similar outlooks.
                            Absolutely! Just like a board room or a president's cabinet - the danger lies in becoming so similar in thought and vision, and so comfortable with the same people, that ideas and philosophies are not challenged.

It's always good to have a new kid on the block and a new lens on reality!

Comment

Hey everyone, just a suggestion, if any of you have websites here, why not try a little publicity, put links to Samanda on it. I just put on up on mine...

www.geocities.com/popcornsamo/P3X-717.html

(BTW, Skydiver, if publicity like that for GW isn't allowed, just tell me! lol)
                              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

Thank you!

... puleez, we are not all 8 year old boys here. I loved the commentary with those 2 in one episode where *mystery director* (not in bathroom humor mode, for once) commented on why a bandage was not huge in a scene. He didn't want the scene to be all about the bandage. Then he proceeded to go on and on about it & AT said something like, "So, moving on." And & just cracked me up--they seemed to have a really easy, friendly relationship, where she could give him a hard time like that.
                                LOL Yes, that was a good and mature exchange, and AT took control ... I thought the "so, moving on" kinda said it all!

Comment

Working...
                                X