No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Astro pretty much summed it up. A simple script that displays a random picture everytime it's called. Though it's he not she

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Yeah, Astro pretty much summed it up. A simple script that displays a random picture everytime it's called. Though it's he not she
      Rapidly fixed embarrassing mistake!
      (off looking for embarrassed Sam pics)

Comment

lol no biggie. Though if you do find a good embarressed Sam I can always use it in my sig

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Yes! And she had a vision that was quite sylistic and dark which she had to fight for. And it paid off. That's why she won a Leo nomination for her first time out. She did her homework and committed her normal 110% to the project.

Slightly OT here but a good place to bring this up: when AT does the audio commentary for Resurrection she handles herself so professionally and it's a joy to listen to her talk with so much passion and precision about her work, her craft. On the other hand, IMO, some of the other directors, who have been doing this for years, reduce their commentaries to sophomoric ramblings about bodily functions and animal-house jokes. Amanda (who certainly enjoys joking around and is no prude) showed by her narrative that there is a time to be serious and grown-up and take pride in your profession. Sorry, I've been carrying this bad taste in my mouth around for quite awhile and needed to get rid of it! I'm sure some of you may not agree, but it irks the hell out of me.

I agree with you, i found Amanda's commentery both interesting and informative, also her director behind the scenes was very interesting
          to watch.
          As a viewer i would just sit back and just watch the show but after watching Amanda talk about texture and so on i did go back and watch
          the show again watching for what she was talking about i found myself looking at it with
          a very diferant eye
          I hope Amanda does have the chance to direct again as she certinly has an interesting flare to puting a show together!
          ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            for whatever reasons, they tend to stick with emotional whumpage for the girls. maybe it's because females are more emotive and guys are more physical and maybe there's just some old fashioned gentlemanlyness that says that women shouldn't be treated this way

of course, maybe they're also aware that there's so much violence against women in the real world that no one wants to make a tv show that could be seen as encouraging that?
            You could be very right, Skydiver. With Xena, they had a good balance of things... until the last two seasons, and then it was a free-for-all on poor Xena. They beheaded the woman in the last ep!

I really, really liked Death Knell. They weren't afraid of letting Sam get dirty and hurt. The only complaint I had with the ep was that there wasn't enough Sam struggle (half the ep we didn't even see her).

Here's to seeing Sam struggle in season 9!

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              "equal opportunity whumpage" YES!

But, I grew up watching a lot of really crappy women as victim stories. You know the ones I mean - running away from bad guys, the "girl" trips and turns/sprains her ankle so that the hero has to bravely turn back into the face of danger just to rescue her. (it's a miracle that a whole generation of women don't trip over their own feet every time they go out - oh wait, some of us do )

Anyway, I love whumpage, if it's written well, meaning not a woman being victimized just so she can be rescued, but so that she can show her strength.

How about a story where Sam has to go back and rescue the guys who are in need of assistance. And maybe gets injured in the process, thus satisfying all of us whumping junkies.

If you like fan fic, here's a link to a Sam story that I really like, called Night Terrors, which has Sam rescuing the guys and Sam whumping as well.

Night Terrors

NC
              Oh, my, gawd, I thought of that fic before I got to the point that you'd recommended it! A FANTASTIC Sam hero fic!

Sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

One that i need to track down a link for is Soul of a Planet by Momoftoad i believe. equal opportunity whumpage but also a bit of a focus on sam

Oh, please find it, Skydiver. I took all your other recommendations (from the sam whumpage and s/j 17 lists) and saved them on to read later. Well, a few I'd read already, but some were new. Please find this fic!

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

I believe that fic Skydiver was looking for is this one:
                  http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/s...lofaplanet.txt

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

She got nominated for an award for that!!!! She actually did a fantastic job. We talked about how acting is COMPLETELY different from directing. like the opposite ends of the spectrum. With acting, you have to create, enhane, with Directing, you have to have a VERY strong vision, and be able to lead everyone, not just the actors, but the crew and everyone. When I answered her question of "did you watch my commentary on directing!?" with Yes, she was just SOOO pleased. She loves directing, and is very proud of the job she did (as I'm sure we all are!)

I really really hopes she directs this season as well, but I have a sinking feeling she won't... We'll just have to write a brilliant Sam-Carter show taht she can direct! (and I can star in )
                    Amanda's a GREAT director! I was *so* proud of her work in that ep. She gave it a moody atmosphere while still holding strong to the story. I know her co-stars (Michael and Chris) were totally supportive of her (Rick wasn't in it), so I'm sure she appreciated it. As much as I enjoyed Amanda's directing, I selfishly don't want her to quit acting.

Majorsam, pass on to Amanda (the next time you talk to her) that we LOVE her here in Samanda land!

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      I have to admit that when I researched the women writers I expected to find Singularity or Solitudes as part of their work. These are two of my favorites because Sam had a chance to reveal so much of herself by her response to both a child who comes quite unexpectedly into her life and to her CO in a life-and-death situation. I think many of you feel the same way (see our survey results).

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Robert Cooper wrote Singularity and Brad Wright wrote Solitudes. I thought to myself, they got it right! And it does seem to support the fact that a good writer should be able to transcend gender lines and get into the heart and soul of the character being portrayed. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a woman is not needed among the writers in order to offer another perspective, another lens into reality. But, just what would a woman's perspective be?

It is refreshing to see that Katharyn Powers was able to write some of the epic adventures such as Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot and Serpent's Song, and that the guys were able to write stories that spoke to the intimacy of relationships in Singularity and Solitudes. Frankly, it was a bit of a learning curve for me.

Anybody else feel the same way? Many of us have been disappointed in how Sam's character has been treated in the past two seasons and I wonder how the same writers who got it so right in the first season could get it so wrong in the last two?

To be continued ....
                      The one ep I think would have been MUCH different if a woman had written it was s7's Chimera. Nuff said.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        I believe that fic Skydiver was looking for is this one:
                        http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/s...lofaplanet.txt

yep, that's it

thanks dark
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          "Sam's promotion and its consequences were never fully addressed." [/B] (in Season 8).

exactly. Ok, i have no issue with sam being promoted. i think it was definitely time....BUT

(you knew there had to be one, didn't ya?)

Jack did it. Her direct co. which, in the minds of jealous little folks, will bring up the rumors that 'eh, she just slept with her boss and got lt col because of it'

It's too bad that Hammond couldn't get it done before he left, or did it FOR jack.

i mean, it never would have passed if it wasn't warranted, but by jack being the driving force behind it, he makes her promotion look like a reward for saving his life or something else questionable

sigpic

Comment

exactly. Ok, i have no issue with sam being promoted. i think it was definitely time....BUT

(you knew there had to be one, didn't ya?)

Jack did it. Her direct co. which, in the minds of jealous little folks, will bring up the rumors that 'eh, she just slept with her boss and got lt col because of it'

It's too bad that Hammond couldn't get it done before he left, or did it FOR jack.

i mean, it never would have passed if it wasn't warranted, but by jack being the driving force behind it, he makes her promotion look like a reward for saving his life or something else questionable

I see what yo're saying here, I thought it looked a bot didgy- she had just been like (a few months before or however long lost city was) about to announce her love to him and he knew it- I mean Sam is a more than able officer and should have got the promotion but i can see that people would think she only got it from sleepin with Jack?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                              I see what yo're saying here, I thought it looked a bot didgy- she had just been like (a few months before or however long lost city was) about to announce her love to him and he knew it- I mean Sam is a more than able officer and should have got the promotion but i can see that people would think she only got it from sleepin with Jack?
                              there will always be someone who will think the worst

i understand what jack did and like i said, i think that sam deserved it...but, i do also think that jack needs to rethinnk how he treats his former team

yeah, they're his friends, always will be...but if he shows any of them favoritism, he's opening them up to criticism as well

sigpic

Comment

I don't know much, if anything, about how military personnel get promoted. But I would think that it would take more than just her c/o to get her promoted.
                                sigpic
                                ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Working...
                                X