No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can see amanda doing more directing in the future, possibly as something to do once the show ends

personally? i see her moving on after s9, doing guest shots on atlantis and other shows, maybe taking time to give her little one a bro or sis and then just doing cons, guest shots and maybe directing here and there

make her career more of a part time one so that she can spend time with her family
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to admit that when I researched the women writers I expected to find Singularity or Solitudes as part of their work. These are two of my favorites because Sam had a chance to reveal so much of herself by her response to both a child who comes quite unexpectedly into her life and to her CO in a life-and-death situation. I think many of you feel the same way (see our survey results).

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Robert Cooper wrote Singularity and Brad Wright wrote Solitudes. I thought to myself, they got it right! And it does seem to support the fact that a good writer should be able to transcend gender lines and get into the heart and soul of the character being portrayed. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a woman is not needed among the writers in order to offer another perspective, another lens into reality. But, just what would a woman's perspective be?

It is refreshing to see that Katharyn Powers was able to write some of the epic adventures such as Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot and Serpent's Song, and that the guys were able to write stories that spoke to the intimacy of relationships in Singularity and Solitudes. Frankly, it was a bit of a learning curve for me.

Anybody else feel the same way? Many of us have been disappointed in how Sam's character has been treated in the past two seasons and I wonder how the same writers who got it so right in the first season could get it so wrong in the last two?

To be continued ....
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 17 February 2005, 06:27 PM.

Comment

you know the one thing that strikes me about amanda's directing, it's what's struck me about the Fandy novels.

the first ones were written by a person who didn't watch the show but was simply contracted on the basis of her past books. she had no feeling or passion for the show...and it showed in her books

amanda has a passion for the show and it showed in her work
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          I have to admit that when I researched the women writers I expected to find Singularity or Solitudes as part of their work. These are two of my favorites because Sam had a chance to reveal so much of herself by her response to both a child who comes quite unexpectedly into her life and to her CO in a life-and-death situation. I think many of you feel the same way (see our survey results).

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Robert Cooper wrote Singularity and Brad Wright wrote Solitudes. I thought to myself, they got it right! And it does seem to support the fact that a good writer should be able to transcend gender lines and get into the heart and soul of the character being portrayed. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a woman is not needed among the writers in order to offer another perspective, another lens into reality. But, just what would a woman's perspective be?

It is refreshing to see that Katharyn Powers was able to write some of the epic adventures such as Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot and Serpent's Song, and that the guys were able to write stories that spoke to the intimacy of relationships in Singularity and Solitudes. Frankly, it was a bit of a learning curve for me.

Anybody else feel the same way?
          I'm with you, ChopinGal! One of the things that surprised me was how few of the episodes were written by women... and yet, Carter was so well written in so many of the episodes over the first 5 seasons or so! So I think there are several male writers out there who deserve well-earned kudos (or should it be blue jello).

Just went and checked to see who wrote 'In The Line of Duty' (the overwhelming Carter favorite for Season 2)... and it was Robert C. Cooper! Hmmmm... So was 'Threads'...

Comment

Many of us have been disappointed in how Sam's character has been treated in the past two seasons and I wonder how the same writers who got it so right in the first season could get it so wrong in the last two?
            I was perusing the latest Stargate SG-1 magazine, and in RDA's interview he laughingly described Carter's 'personal' scenes with the term 'soap-opera'.... sigh... as we've said before, some personal stuff on screen is wonderful, but *please* don't leave Sam out of the big-scale scifi goings-ons and events! Season 9 will hopefully put Carter back into the scifi side of things - as with Reckoning part 2!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Maybe AT can direct a few episodes of Atlantis after SG-1 ends... (at the end of Season 9... or 10...or ?)
              I believe she did address this somewhere ... about either appearing in or directing a future Atlantis ... I think she definitely wants to grow professionally by doing more directing and that could be her next journey, probably without her combat boots.

Omigosh, I just realized something!! I remember when I was growing up, one of the worst insults around would be a kid saying to another kid: "Aw, your mother wears combat boots!"

Dear Lord, that whole line has been turned upside-down with Amanda's pregnancy. Anybody using that line on Amanda's child would probably be saying it as a compliment!

Combat boots + Sam = Carter Chic

Comment

Anybody else feel the same way? Many of us have been disappointed in how Sam's character has been treated in the past two seasons and I wonder how the same writers who got it so right in the first season could get it so wrong in the last two?

To be continued ....
                Good points. I agree with the good writers being able to write for any character not matter what gender, but the idea of bringing in a woman writer just to get a female's perspective could have problems. It might have the effect of taking Carter away from being 'One of the Guys'.

Comment

I was perusing the latest Stargate SG-1 magazine, and in RDA's interview he laughingly described Carter's 'personal' scenes with the term 'soap-opera'.... sigh... as we've said before, some personal stuff on screen is wonderful, but *please* don't leave Sam out of the big-scale scifi goings-ons and events! Season 9 will hopefully put Carter back into the scifi side of things - as with Reckoning part 2!
                  Totally agree. Must have more old skool Sam in Season 9!!!

Combat boots + Sam = Carter Chic
                  Aha right on

Oh and I noticed that you had the 1337 post in this thread too

Comment

I'm with you, ChopinGal! One of the things that surprised me was how few of the episodes were written by women... and yet, Carter was so well written in so many of the episodes over the first 5 seasons or so! So I think there are several male writers out there who deserve well-earned kudos (or should it be blue jello).

Just went and checked to see who wrote 'In The Line of Duty' (the overwhelming Carter favorite for Season 2)... and it was Robert C. Cooper! Hmmmm... So was 'Threads'...
                    Robert Cooper also wrote Ascension, one of my favorite Sam episodes, but also is credited with the story for Chimera, which started a huge amount of Sam bashing. And Peter DeLuise, who isn't always my favorite writer, (sorry, I don't really care for Unas stories) wrote Death Knell. As some of you have said in this thread, the writing can be really uneven, especially where Sam is concerned.

NC
                    Last edited by NearlyCircular; 17 February 2005, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

... amanda has a passion for the show and it showed in her work
                      Yes! And she had a vision that was quite sylistic and dark which she had to fight for. And it paid off. That's why she won a Leo nomination for her first time out. She did her homework and committed her normal 110% to the project.

Slightly OT here but a good place to bring this up: when AT does the audio commentary for Resurrection she handles herself so professionally and it's a joy to listen to her talk with so much passion and precision about her work, her craft. On the other hand, IMO, some of the other directors, who have been doing this for years, reduce their commentaries to sophomoric ramblings about bodily functions and animal-house jokes. Amanda (who certainly enjoys joking around and is no prude) showed by her narrative that there is a time to be serious and grown-up and take pride in your profession. Sorry, I've been carrying this bad taste in my mouth around for quite awhile and needed to get rid of it! I'm sure some of you may not agree, but it irks the hell out of me.

Comment

Slightly OT here but a good place to bring this up: when AT does the audio commentary for Resurrection she handles herself so professionally and it's a joy to listen to her talk with so much passion and precision about her work, her craft. On the other hand, IMO, some of the other directors, who have been doing this for years, reduce their commentaries to sophomoric ramblings about bodily functions and animal-house jokes. Amanda (who certainly enjoys joking around and is no prude) showed by her narrative that there is a time to be serious and grown-up and take pride in your profession. Sorry, I've been carrying this bad taste in my mouth around for quite awhile and needed to get rid of it! I'm sure some of you may not agree, but it irks the hell out of me.
                        I think we all know which director you mean. Whenever Amanda does commentaries on a episode, it's really well done. She doesn't overdo it, and usually gives fun insights into what was going on at the time. For Resurrection, she obviously has a lot more to say since she was directing, but even so, it wasn't so technical that I was bored, as I have been with some other directors. Her sense of humor shines through.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

... As some of you have said in this thread, the writing can be really uneven, especially where Sam is concerned.

NC
                          I think you've named it ... what we're seeing is that there is no sure formula, no constant, to who, on the writing team, will be consistently brilliant and faithful to the character of Sam.

I have to admit that the heavy hitters, like Cooper and DeLuise and Damian Kindler (Grace) sometimes get it right, and sometimes miss their mark. Just like the poem, "when they're good, they're very, very good; and when they're bad, they're horrid."

So, in answer to Agent Dark too, I would still advocate for a woman to be a part of the future seasons because, when the male writers seemed to miss their mark it was all around the new arc of Sam's need for a personal life, and the dynamics of Jack and Sam; that is, interpersonal relationships.

Putting any romance aside, Jack's and Sam's basic relationship and friendship seemed to suffer a lot these past few seasons and I wonder just why that had to happen. Jack has been portrayed more distant and more disgruntled and their small moments of joy in each other's company just started to come fewer and farther between. Any camaraderie and teasing that were so much fun to watch were yanked out of the scripts once RDA's shooting schedule was also abbreviated. Along with promoting Carter as his first act of his new office, O'Neill should then have been seen training her to be a leader, teaching her how to take command, but that didn't happen. There could have been some wonderful scenes between the two of them around that theme, which, in turn, would have launched Carter's military career in the field. Instead, they were drawing farther apart, with the focus primarily on what it meant for Jack to get his promotion. Sam's promotion and its consequences were never fully addressed.I think a woman writer would have picked up on that whole Jack/Sam dynamic changing and would have questioned and challenged it. Women tend to be more relational in thinking (generally speaking) so having men and women review scripts may be a wise move. It would be kind of a system of checks and balances.
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 17 February 2005, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Putting any romance aside, Jack's and Sam's basic relationship and friendship seemed to suffer a lot these past few seasons and I wonder just why that had to happen. Jack has been portrayed more distant and more disgruntled and their small moments of joy in each other's company just started to come fewer and farther between. Any camaraderie and teasing that were so much fun to watch were yanked out of the scripts once RDA's shooting schedule was also abbreviated.

Along with promoting Carter as his first act of his new office, O'Neill should then have been seen training her to be a leader, teaching her how to take command, but that didn't happen. There could have been some wonderful scenes between the two of them around that theme, which, in turn, would have launched Carter's military career in the field.
                            Mentoring would have been fantastic!
                            It would have emphasized and underlined *both* of their new positions.

Instead, they were drawing farther apart, with the focus primarily on what it meant for Jack to get his promotion. Sam's promotion and its consequences were never fully addressed.
                            ChopinGal! Perfectly worded!
                            I truly missed seeing Sam's leadership showcased - but you said it much better:

"Sam's promotion and its consequences were never fully addressed."
                            (in Season 8).

Comment

Hey Agent Dark? Does your, uh, sig change every five minutes or something? Because if it does, that is beyond awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                Hey Agent Dark? Does your, uh, sig change every five minutes or something? Because if it does, that is beyond awesome.
                                AgentDark's sig pic changes everytime you reload the page!

It's called a rotating 'php' file... and after seeing AgentDark's, I PM'd him for information on it. It's a 'script' file (there are many free versions available on the net) and then you load your pics all into one folder, and tell the script file where that folder of pics is. The php (script) file then pulls up a random pic everytime it is accessed.

I tried to get it to work for me...but my personal ISP webspace isn't 'php' enabled (grrrr).... and I have my pictures loaded at a website called PhotoBucket... and I emailed them about this and they said that the pics loaded onto their site cannot be accessed by a php script. So, I just jealously watch AgentDark's pics change!

If you send AgentDark a PM, he can send you more detailed info than the brief outline that I have written here
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 17 February 2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X