X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    I want equal opportunity whumpage too.

Sally
    *GASP* What's...this...!!! MAJORSAL, of alll people, WANTING equal whumpage!?!? as in SAM whump!?!?!?

*falls off chair as the very foundations of her being are shaken*

The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Gateworld's got indigestion tonight, so I'm going to say what I tried in two other posts.

Happy Birthday (belated?) to Astro!

And from the wonderful descriptions of geeky Sam, I can't wait to see this ep!

K, got those things off my chest. I've given Gateworld some antacids, so maybe it'll stop burping.

Sally

ps - in the fic 'it's a great big world', exactly what chapters has sam whumpage?
      sally

sigpic

Comment

I want equal opportunity whumpage too.

I really don't think the show would ever show Sam in such extreme conditions. (I asked Joe Mallozzi once about whether they'd have done Abyss the same way with Sam, and he said no). Most shows don't want to show a woman go through anything extreme (torture) like they do with men, except for rape that is. The only show that's displayed a woman in a *real* bad situation was Xena. I think I've heard they've done some bad things to the woman on Alias, but I bet it's not as bad as the stuff they've done to Xena. I really think it's just the networks that are afraid of ppl crying foul if a woman's shown in too much of a violent way. They don't mind raping her or murdering her, but they'd never show her being tortured like Teal'c was in... in that ep where he was hanging by his arms while some meanie Jaffa hurt him with a pain stick. I have a bit of a snart going on here while i'm writing this, because it really is a double standard. I don't think the networks care about showing a woman in such harsh ways, they just don't want to hear the outcry from ppl that are offended. Like showing a man getting tortured is alright, but a woman...

K, done with semi-snark.

Sally
        MajorSal -- good snark! I'm there with you!

And just to make sure that everyone doesn't think that we're sick or some such - it's not about the actual torture, although that has to be there - what it's really about is showing how our heroes perservere in the face of extreme conditions - both physical and mental. Guys are often shown as strong heroes who perservere through extreme pain. Women...yeah, you said it, they get raped or such... they get extreme mental distress.

So, when they show a guy standing up even in the face of extreme physical pain and torture, it adds to the character's image. They are strong - both physically and mentally - they live through the physical pain while holding onto their mental 'center'.

So why wouldn't we want to show our female characters as strong enough to withstand the same as the guys? We do - we want to see them as able to hold on through the worst parts... and somehow come out on the other side... changed a bit perhaps, but not broken by the 'evil bad guys'.

I miss not being able to have some Sam scenes like Jack's in Abyss or Teal'c's such as you mentioned above. We do have scenes like the ones in New Order, but those were mental and we really couldn't tell what Fifth actually did... we all just have to assume it was horrible because it made Sam break down and plead with him to stop. And someone mentioned in an earlier post that one of the things that they liked about 'The Devil You Know' was that Sam got treated the same as the guys when it came to the administration of The Blood of Sokar.

So here's to equal opportunity whumpage... the chance for the women to show that they can handle what the guys do... let Amanda get mussed and dirty - she did great in Death Knell!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 16 February 2005, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Gateworld's got indigestion tonight, so I'm going to say what I tried in two other posts.

Happy Birthday (belated?) to Astro!

And from the wonderful descriptions of geeky Sam, I can't wait to see this ep!

K, got those things off my chest. I've given Gateworld some antacids, so maybe it'll stop burping.

Sally

ps - in the fic 'it's a great big world', exactly what chapters has sam whumpage?
          I sure hope your antacids work for GW because its disconcerting to suddenly get that 'cannot connect to website' browser page. Thanks for the birthday wishes . The fanfic 'It's a Great Big World' has only minor Sam whumping (she hits her head a few times and gets a bloody nose... but the guys don't have any injuries so...) - I think it's in the later chapters...Ch 9 and 13...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye
            Calling on All Samandans to herewith vote with keyboard and heart for the following Officers of Samanda

President (and Creator of this World) Major Sam

Vice-President (and Creator of the Thread) Major Sal

Keeper of the Flame (Archivist) AstroGeologist

Matriarch (the Wise Elder) Chopin Gal

Please add further nominations and titles as you deem appropriate ....

This is so groovy.

*just gave away age*

Amanda Tapping, Queen of all things Sam and all things cool!

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Astro and MajorSal, brilliant posts both.

Sure this is all good:

But we still want more!!! of that AND this

But hopefully not any of this: *majorsal cover your eyes*

(Well, ID love it to bits, but I don't know about you guys...)

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

What's that last photo from?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                  Astro and MajorSal, brilliant posts both.

Sure this is all good:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/ouchypoo.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...am/aaaaaah.jpg

But we still want more!!! of that AND this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eathKneall.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Sam/716_30.jpg

But hopefully not any of this: *majorsal cover your eyes*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...orSam/DEAD.jpg

(Well, ID love it to bits, but I don't know about you guys...)
                  Ackgh! - where did that *last* photo come from (very disturbing) - I want her to perservere and *survive*... I don't think even a sarcophagus could help after an autopsy! Yi!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    What's that last photo from?
                    hahaha, a fabulous role of Amanda's called "Carina Sales" from episode Avatar, X-files, Season...2??? Amanda plays a prostitue who sleeps with Skinner, who has this crazy...X-Files thing, which drives him to unknowingly kill her in the night It's quite fabulous, she wakes up... well, HE wakes up, and her heads on backwards, after which she's in a morgue drawer being "analyzed" the rest of the time

I'll never remember coming home, right at the begining of my Amanda idolization, to see her on X-Files. I'm like "OOH, Amanda!" *switch to sex scene for five minutes* uh...

*next morning her head's on backwards*

Oh...well then...

(found out later it was her first love scene, her and Skinner's actor would spend all the time in between takes laughing their heads off)

I believe Amanda's won an award for playing dead, at one point....

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

hahaha, a fabulous role of Amanda's called "Carina Sales" from episode Avatar, X-files, Season...2??? Amanda plays a prostitue who sleeps with Skinner, who has this crazy...X-Files thing, which drives him to unknowingly kill her in the night It's quite fabulous, she wakes up... well, HE wakes up, and her heads on backwards, after which she's in a morgue drawer being "analyzed" the rest of the time
                      Well, lets just hope Sam doesn't end up with her 'head on backwards' anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Well, lets just hope Sam doesn't end up with her 'head on backwards' anytime soon

Well, you might hope, but as i've stated, I certainly don't!!! Well, actually, I hope as well.

I have much more... imaginative, ways of her "ending up"

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

I'll never remember coming home, right at the begining of my Amanda idolization, to see her on X-Files. I'm like "OOH, Amanda!" *switch to sex scene for five minutes* uh...

*next morning her head's on backwards*

Oh...well then...

(found out later it was her first love scene, her and Skinner's actor would spend all the time in between takes laughing their heads off)
                          OK...thanks for the info... and here I thought the 'morgue dead shot' was disturbing... now I have 'head on backwards' images... the X-files - and just before bed too

An award for playing dead... !

Comment

I remember listening to an interview/commentary with AT where she said:

"I give good dead"

I actually misunderstood what she said and after laughing hysterically went back and listened again.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              I remember listening to an interview/commentary with AT where she said:

"I give good dead"

I actually misunderstood what she said and after laughing hysterically went back and listened again.
                              Oh dear

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

This was one of my favorite scenes. I loved the reactions on Sam's/AT's face as she interacted with the crystal entity - surprise and the delight of new discoveries and wonderment - great smiles!

Seeing Sam's reaction to seeing her own image in the crystal reminds me of one of my all-time fave scifi movies - The Abyss. I sooooo wish that Amanda had been in that movie as the lead actress (and Rick as the male lead ). It was a perfect mix of scifi and love story. In fact, it was a great love story. Amanda would have nailed this role and would prob be a movie star now! But then we might not have her as Sam Carter, so...

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X