No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one of the problems with Sam or any other character on a fairly action-y show like this is that the writers may feel they have little time to devote to personal stuff. they may think: " But we've got to attack the Gou'ald and we have cool special effects to show!" When fans say they like the personal stuff they say--ok let's do a whole episode. But I think what some of you have said about seeing Sam's different sides in various episodes might have been better.

Comment

spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Originally posted by Coley

Sam fan - I think everyones getting annoyed at quite a number of things the writers have put in the show. Not just one thing. In military terms she shouldn't leave her post in battle - I assume as she may be putting others at risk if she does. But yes you are right it probably does happen in practice!

I didn't see Sam being in the spot she was as 'a post'. There was a massive fire fight going on, where a soldier would change position where/when needed. Now I'm not a military expert by any means, but I didn't see Sam standing/sitting in that exact spot as her post. Someone on her team went down (a team member, someone she cares deeply for) - I have absolutely no probs with her going to his aid. Maybe the only person she put at risk was herself, but any member of any team would look out for their fellow member(s). In my opinion, Sam did absolutely nothing wrong.

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        [COLOR=Red]

I didn't see Sam being in the spot she was as 'a post'. There was a massive fire fight going on, where a soldier would change position where/when needed. Now I'm not a military expert by any means, but I didn't see Sam standing/sitting in that exact spot as her post. Someone on her team went down (a team member, someone she cares deeply for) - I have absolutely no probs with her going to his aid. Maybe the only person she put at risk was herself, but any member of any team would look out for their fellow member(s). In my opinion, Sam did absolutely nothing wrong.

Sally
        I agree. I'm inclined to think soldiers check on their wounded comrades and pull them out of the line of fire all the time. I'm sure the other members of the team would have done the same. When Teal'c went after Daniel in "Forever in a Day" did we say--"how unprofessional of him, leaving his post just because Daniel's in danger."?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          I agree. I'm inclined to think soldiers check on their wounded comrades and pull them out of the line of fire all the time. I'm sure the other members of the team would have done the same. When Teal'c went after Daniel in "Forever in a Day" did we say--"how unprofessional of him, leaving his post just because Daniel's in danger."?
          Nope t he problem with all that is people don't ever bash Teal'c or Daniel, and usual say "oh, but they're not military" Yeah, Sam is, and she does have different rules and stuff, but I still think people use that fact as just another thing to twist towards Sam bashing.

I personally think she's the most brilliant character ever, always has, and always will be my favourite characters, and I actually enjoy these so called "flaws and destructions" of her characters the most! I love seeing that she's human because I can identify more with her as a human. If she was some psycho goody goody super soldier who never screwed up, what the heck would be the fun in watching!?

But then again I do have this REALLY weird obsession with her dying a horrible long torturous death... So maybe I have unique opinions, but still, I embrace everything that makes her grow as a character. Although Pete should definately die. her whole blowage of of the stalkage REALLY got me... I'll never be able to understand that.

As well Amanda Tapping is the most fabulous actress ever. Whenever I think of ANY other actress, no matter who, being Sam... I just want to curl up in a ball in a corner and cry!
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            A Matter of Time [...] was the first ep I can remember that *really* showed just how smart Sam was.
            After thinking about this, I wanted to get a screen capture of Sam in front of a board filled with equations...but it turns out that they shot those scenes so that you can't get much of a look at the board when they also have Sam in the frame.

Ah well... just have to make do with these other *cool* shots from that episode!

In the first image, Sam checks out the new gravity field at the event horizon.
            In the second image, Sam orders the iris closed... the incoming wormhole is pulling things through the wrong way!
            In the third image, Sam gives 'The Donut Explanation' to Hammond (just how does an astrophysicist explain black hole quantum physics to her superior officer?)... oh..and, blowing up the mountain is not going to solve the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
              If she was some psycho goody goody super soldier who never screwed up, what the heck would be the fun in watching!?
              I'd like to see them explore the vulnerabilities, emotions and mistakes of the other main characters as well. Not too much - they are suppposed to be intergalactic heroes... but it would give the actors some depth, breadth and variety in their scenes.

Comment

Re the Hero's comments

Sticks up a white flag, waves it vigorously around the thread!!

To be honest I don't know what the military protocol would be re battle engagements. I personally didn't find her actions anything to be appalled about, I only assumed the people who are complaining about it are doing so on some known military protocol?

I think she is unwaveringly brave and courageous. As a couple of people have pointed out no one can be perfect and do the correct thing all the time. Our faliability (is there a spell check on this thing?) is part of what makes us human.

I had forgotton about the Martouf scene until reading the thread and agree. I remember having a lump in my throat at the time.

Thanks again to astrogeologist re the piccis!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                  Nope t he problem with all that is people don't ever bash Teal'c or Daniel, and usual say "oh, but they're not military" Yeah, Sam is, and she does have different rules and stuff, but I still think people use that fact as just another thing to twist towards Sam bashing.
                  I wasn't trying to bash any character. I brought up Teal'c as an example of how Sam seems to be held to a double standard by some people. And Teal'c may not be USAF, but he is a seasoned warrior.

Comment

This is a terrific thread. Thank you Majorsal for starting this thread, and thanks to others for posting great comments, pictures and links to videos.

Sam is definitely my favorite character, and I really appreciate Amanda Tapping's portrayal of her. She is the main reason why I began watching the show, and why I continue to do so (as well as because of the great team interaction).

So many have already made great comments about what they like about Sam. There are so many impressive things about her---she is extremely intelligent and not afraid to show it, eager and excited about her field of astrophysics, a courageous soldier, and a friend willing to express tenderness. She holds her own quite well in two male-dominated fields, and is a great female role model in general. She's also a bit insecure, and yet at the same time often extremely confident.

One of my favorite Sam moments is in Upgrades when she makes such an exquisite pool shot (I like the fact that AT actually did do this, twice!). I can't imagine anyone else but AT playing Sam. She has the ability to say all that technobabble and make it sound convincing (important for a scifi show!), is athletic and therefore believable as a fit soldier, and expresses tenderness so well.

Finally, for now, Sam is able to think quickly on her feet, under pressure. She doesn't freak out, she doesn't scream, she instead works hard to figure out solutions sometimes on her own, and often with her teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      This is a terrific thread. Thank you Majorsal for starting this thread, and thanks to others for posting great comments, pictures and links to videos.

Sam is definitely my favorite character, and I really appreciate Amanda Tapping's portrayal of her. She is the main reason why I began watching the show, and why I continue to do so (as well as because of the great team interaction).

So many have already made great comments about what they like about Sam. There are so many impressive things about her---she is extremely intelligent and not afraid to show it, eager and excited about her field of astrophysics, a courageous soldier, and a friend willing to express tenderness. She holds her own quite well in two male-dominated fields, and is a great female role model in general. She's also a bit insecure, and yet at the same time often extremely confident.

One of my favorite Sam moments is in Upgrades when she makes such an exquisite pool shot (I like the fact that AT actually did do this, twice!). I can't imagine anyone else but AT playing Sam. She has the ability to say all that technobabble and make it sound convincing (important for a scifi show!), is athletic and therefore believable as a fit soldier, and expresses tenderness so well.

Finally, for now, Sam is able to think quickly on her feet, under pressure. She doesn't freak out, she doesn't scream, she instead works hard to figure out solutions sometimes on her own, and often with her teammates.
                      What a wonderful written post!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                        I had forgotton about the Martouf scene until reading the thread and agree. I remember having a lump in my throat at the time. Thanks again to astrogeologist re the piccis!
                        You're welcome -- I am having fun with them

And everyone's citings of their favorite scenes (especially the humorous ones that Coley mentioned)
                        made me think of this one:

Photos are screen captures from the episode "Small Victories"

This is right after Sam's idea (to blow up 'the O'Neill') succeeds in taking out the Replicator ships.
                        Sam says 'Yes!' and then exhuberantly hugs Thor
                        ... and then realizes that she's hugging an Asgard...
                        Sam: "OH! I'm sorry, I didn't hurt you, did I?"
                        Thor: "I am fine"

Comment

I love Sam... I think she's an awesome character, played by a talented actress.
                          I just hope that the addition of Ben Browder doesn't bump her back down to SG1's second in command. I like the idea of her as the leader and I want to see how it progresses throughout the future of the show.
                          - 'Mo

I'm a woman. "Evil" would be a demotion.

BM: "The ice is a fickle mistress"
                          THIEF: "Plus she appears to be a knife weilding maniac"
                          BM: "Aren't they all?"
                          www.nuklearpower.com

#10: Not allowed to purchase anyone's soul on government time.
                          www.skippylist.com/skippylist.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcazmo The Clown
                            I love Sam... I think she's an awesome character, played by a talented actress.
                            I just hope that the addition of Ben Browder doesn't bump her back down to SG1's second in command. I like the idea of her as the leader and I want to see how it progresses throughout the future of the show.
                            Oh, me too! We have yet to even touch what she's capable of doing as Sg1's leader. I want to see her handle a really difficult decision (ala Red Sky). And how would she handle Daniel going off on one of his 'act first, think later' situations? And Teal'c being in his 'Jaffa revenge' mood?

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

sam, unfortunately, is the victim of 'danged if you do, danged if you don't'

if she comes up with an idea and saves the day, then she's a mary sue and shouldn't be on the show since she's so unbelievalbe

if she doesn't come up with the idea to save the day, then she's just a stupid character and shouldn't be on the show since she's a waste of space

sam obeys jack's order then she's his 'yes girl' and a disgrace to women in uniform everywhere and should be kicked off the show

sam questions jack's order then she's an unprofessional officer and, you guessed it, should be kicked off the show

malarky

Sam is human. humans make mistakes and, quite often, what sam is getting blamed for is the direct result of the writers/directors saying 'yes, i know amanda dear, but it's written this way so just do it please'

For me, sam is why i watch the show. I started out watching for my RDA fix, but now i watch it because i throughly enjoy the character of sam and her interactions with the other characters

If you go back and watch s1 episodes, sam has changed a ton. She's no longer this rather naive officer with a chip on her shoulder. she's a competant woman who's secure in herself and her job and is a well respected member of the command
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sam Carter for ever!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X