Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

I see Sam not as a role model for women in the military (thought I can understand why she is) but simply as somebody who excells at what they do. The fact that shes a woman has nothing to do with why I like her character, rather that she knows how to get the job done. My personal opinion is that they've been pushing the 'Sam's a woman :O' card a little too much lately, which is taking her away from what I like about her - Scientist, soldier and pilot Sam.

*By older I mean anyone older than me - 20.

First off, I'm 4... 4... 43. *wipes brow*

The reason I love Sam so much is basically that I wish I were her (Sam AND Amanda). I'll just stick with Sam right now. What's not to love? This gorgeous, intelligent woman gets to do the most incredible things in the galaxy (and gets to do it alongside some very handsome men I might add.). I live through Sam while she's shooting the bad guys, tinkering with a scientific doodad, creating a naquada reactor, coming up with solutions that stagger the imagination, leading a misson, caring for her friends, protecting her father, rescuing a teammate, loving Jack O'Neill! *squee moment* - but the human, fallible person behind it is what gives the depth and impact for me. Sam's not perfect, and I don't want her to be. She's made some mis-steps the last couple or so seasons, but that only makes me love her more. I didn't want to see her with another man, but I LOVED that she was going on this journey! What makes Sam tick? It can't all be work. Since Grace last season, we've seen Sam going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Is this all her life's about; the Stargate program? She's been saving the Earth for years, how about reaping the rewards of that by enjoying the life she saved. What I'm trying to say is that I want to see this journey that Sam's been on (and that started from the moment she stepped foot in the briefingroom in the first ep). I want to see the bitter with the sweet. I want to see the mistakes with the success. I just want to see Sam live her life, and that includes her professional 'and' personal life.

(((Sam Carter!)))

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      Weighing in on my choices for favorite season 3 Sam episodes, I picked Foothold, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, and Deadman's switch.

Deadman's Switch isn't a particulary Sam-heavy episode, but I like the episode, and like Sam's interaction with Aris Boch. She's very persuasive with him and not by blinding him with science, her usual technique. I like the Aris Boch character and I can't help comparing him to Vala. Both of them are kind of friendly enemies, and if Vala turns out to be a little more Boch-like, I'll probably enjoy the first part of next season.

Sooo many good Sam moments in that ep! And I agree, mucho goodness between her and Aris Boch. Being the Sam fan I am, I remember loving it when he'd picked Sam to have stay behind with him. I think one of my fave scenes in that ep was when Jack was trying to wake Sam up (in Aris' ship). When she came to, I liked her thumbs up that she was okay. Oh, and when Aris made the mistake of calling her Captain instead of Major, and then she corrected him... that look Sam/Amanda gave, when he was making fun of her. Loved it!

Figures a woman wrote Foothold.

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

the night when deadman's switch aired, i think i watched it 3 times. original broadcase, rewound during outer limits, then the later broadcast

it just struck something with me. it had a little sam whumpage, her talking to aris, her trying to work aris (which is a lot like what she did with aiden, talked to him, trying to manipulate him to giving her info)

it was just all around enjoyable.

and you know, it's one eps that's had pitifully few fic written around it. i don't know if it's because folks ingeneral didn't like it or because it was so good that it didn't leave anything dangling for a fic to be based on
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          ...I would love to see Lt. Col. Mitchell *want* to serve under her leadership on SG-1. I'd like to see them write a backstory that includes Carter and Mitchell having served together years ago (before the Stargate project), and Mitchell already knows, likes and respects her. *And* he asked to be posted to SG-1 because he expected to be working under her leadership... that she was gone when he first got there, and that he got command for a month or so would have been a surprise. When Sam returns, he gladly hands her command of SG-1 with no animosity - he's just glad that she's back!
          What a great scenario! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            ...The reason I love Sam so much is basically that I wish I were her (Sam AND Amanda). I'll just stick with Sam right now. What's not to love? This gorgeous, intelligent woman gets to do the most incredible things in the galaxy (and gets to do it alongside some very handsome men I might add.). I live through Sam while she's shooting the bad guys, tinkering with a scientific doodad, creating a naquada reactor, coming up with solutions that stagger the imagination, leading a misson, caring for her friends, protecting her father, rescuing a teammate, loving Jack O'Neill! *squee moment* - but the human, fallible person behind it is what gives the depth and impact for me. Sam's not perfect, and I don't want her to be. She's made some mis-steps the last couple or so seasons, but that only makes me love her more. I didn't want to see her with another man, but I LOVED that she was going on this journey! What makes Sam tick? It can't all be work. Since Grace last season, we've seen Sam going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Is this all her life's about; the Stargate program? She's been saving the Earth for years, how about reaping the rewards of that by enjoying the life she saved. What I'm trying to say is that I want to see this journey that Sam's been on (and that started from the moment she stepped foot in the briefingroom in the first ep). I want to see the bitter with the sweet. I want to see the mistakes with the success. I just want to see Sam live her life, and that includes her professional 'and' personal life.

(((Sam Carter!)))

Sally
            Well put, Sally! My favorite tv shows have almost always featured strong female characters, because of what you stated. We can live vicariously through their adventures. That's why Sam has been a great character to watch. I'll never be that smart or beautiful (or tall), but I am a woman and there aren't many women on tv who get to do all the "fun" things that Sam does; from brilliantly coming up with the solution to a potential disaster, to going off world and kicking butt, to interacting with 3 wonderful teammates, etc., etc., etc. And, she's real; she doesn't wear a catsuit, she doesn't have perfect hair and nails all the time, and she has a messy personal life. It's been a breath of fresh air watching her the last few years, and I could only wish that other tv shows would give us similar characters.

NC

Comment

Originally Posted by astrogeologist

...I would love to see Lt. Col. Mitchell *want* to serve under her leadership on SG-1. I'd like to see them write a backstory that includes Carter and Mitchell having served together years ago (before the Stargate project), and Mitchell already knows, likes and respects her. *And* he asked to be posted to SG-1 because he expected to be working under her leadership... that she was gone when he first got there, and that he got command for a month or so would have been a surprise. When Sam returns, he gladly hands her command of SG-1 with no animosity - he's just glad that she's back!
              Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              What a great scenario! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

NC

It is a neat idea, but I don't think it will fly past Samanda's walls.

I don't think they'd have him serving under her in the past for the aforementioned reason that TPTB seem to have a hard time writing men being ordered about by women (hence S8 with not much Sam in command or S7 Young Jack with pilots scene, etc.). Plus their ranks are the same so it sounds like they pretty much came up as equals.

What might fly is that CM wanted to be posted to SG-1 to work with all 3 of them and is disappointed to learn that Sam is not around. Maybe a line or two of hoping she comes back and getting to work with her some time.

While it might be nice to see him respect Sam so much as to ask to serve under her, I'm trying to only set myself up to hope for what we might get. Considering BB is apparently a big star and TPTB's not-great track record of writing women in charge, I don't see them having him give up command willingly.

I wouldn't be opposed to some power struggle, however, . . . as long as Sam wins.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                the night when deadman's switch aired, i think i watched it 3 times. original broadcase, rewound during outer limits, then the later broadcast

it just struck something with me. it had a little sam whumpage, her talking to aris, her trying to work aris (which is a lot like what she did with aiden, talked to him, trying to manipulate him to giving her info)

it was just all around enjoyable.

and you know, it's one eps that's had pitifully few fic written around it. i don't know if it's because folks ingeneral didn't like it or because it was so good that it didn't leave anything dangling for a fic to be based on
                Aris was a likeable villain - wouldn't it have been fun if they brought him back and paired him with Maybourne? He had a lot of potential ....

He got to Sam when he started to ask her about having the snake in her head and she managed to touch a nerve when she observed that he wasn't as tough and heartless as he pretended to be. Although he was still cunning enough to shoot her to lure the guys back.

I liked the episode a lot too and didn't realize that it wasn't popular in fanfic. You'll just have to add Aris into your Sam and Teal'c mix ... and see what you come up with!

Comment

aris has been in a few fic here and there, but i don't think i've read any missing scenes from DS

and people have been asking for aris to come back since s3....but i really don't think it'll ever happen
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

First off, I'm 4... 4... 43. *wipes brow*

The reason I love Sam so much is basically that I wish I were her (Sam AND Amanda). I'll just stick with Sam right now. What's not to love? This gorgeous, intelligent woman gets to do the most incredible things in the galaxy (and gets to do it alongside some very handsome men I might add.). I live through Sam while she's shooting the bad guys, tinkering with a scientific doodad, creating a naquada reactor, coming up with solutions that stagger the imagination, leading a misson, caring for her friends, protecting her father, rescuing a teammate, loving Jack O'Neill! *squee moment* - but the human, fallible person behind it is what gives the depth and impact for me. Sam's not perfect, and I don't want her to be. She's made some mis-steps the last couple or so seasons, but that only makes me love her more. I didn't want to see her with another man, but I LOVED that she was going on this journey! What makes Sam tick? It can't all be work. Since Grace last season, we've seen Sam going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Is this all her life's about; the Stargate program? She's been saving the Earth for years, how about reaping the rewards of that by enjoying the life she saved. What I'm trying to say is that I want to see this journey that Sam's been on (and that started from the moment she stepped foot in the briefingroom in the first ep). I want to see the bitter with the sweet. I want to see the mistakes with the success. I just want to see Sam live her life, and that includes her professional 'and' personal life.

(((Sam Carter!)))

Sally
                    Well said! You are hereby awarded the Samandan Medal of Honor for loyalty ....
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 15 February 2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      aris has been in a few fic here and there, but i don't think i've read any missing scenes from DS

and people have been asking for aris to come back since s3....but i really don't think it'll ever happen
                      You may be right in thinking that it's because the episode had an ending where the plot was tidily wrapped up ... Aris shows that he has a good side and SG1 get to go home. It probably wasn't edgy enough to tease the writers.

Comment

Astrogeologist: “Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week! Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!” One of the absolute best Sam lines in the entire series (and it was an adlib!).
                        That was adlib! I didn’t know that. It’s brilliant!

By the looks of everyone elses choices, I could have picked one more in the polls, as everyone seems to have voted for the Jolinar episodes as one.
                        If I had chosen another, it would have probably been Seth (I’m surprised with myself). Mostly because of that scene near the end where Sam gets to use the goa’uld hand device, I think that Amanda did a great job with the disgusted/horrified look on Sam’s face at having slammed him into the ground. Otherwise I don’t actually rate this as one of my favourite Stargate episodes, but it’s got good Sam bits.

Dancer of spaz:
                        Sam: "No, I'm fine."
                        Daniel: "You just gonna sit in here all day and -"
                        Sam: "I'm NOT sulking."
                        Daniel: "Working! Was gonna say, 'working...'"
                        TEAL'C: O’Neill merely believes that ...
                        CARTER: Guys, I’m fine.
                        DANIEL: You can hardly blame him for wanting to send in back-up. I’m sure it has nothing to do with you ...
                        CARTER: I understand. He’s just being cautious.
                        (There's a moment where Daniel and Teal'c just stand there smiling.)
                        CARTER: Thanks guys.
                        I love this.

Astrogeologist: I would love to see Lt. Col. Mitchell *want* to serve under her leadership on SG-1. I'd like to see them write a backstory that includes Carter and Mitchell having served together years ago (before the Stargate project), and Mitchell already knows, likes and respects her. *And* he asked to be posted to SG-1 because he expected to be working under her leadership... that she was gone when he first got there, and that he got command for a month or so would have been a surprise. When Sam returns, he gladly hands her command of SG-1 with no animosity - he's just glad that she's back!
                        This is great. It could just work, to explain why he even gets the command in the first place.
                        But, as hrh36 said:
                        It is a neat idea, but I don't think it will fly past Samanda's walls.
                        *hopes that somehow this storyplot will reach TPTB*

Majorsal: She's made some mis-steps the last couple or so seasons, but that only makes me love her more.
                        I agree. This is why I don’t have a real problem with Gemini.
                        But I really like your whole post:
                        The reason I love Sam so much is basically that I wish I were her (Sam AND Amanda). I'll just stick with Sam right now. What's not to love? This gorgeous, intelligent woman gets to do the most incredible things in the galaxy (and gets to do it alongside some very handsome men I might add. ). I live through Sam while she's shooting the bad guys, tinkering with a scientific doodad, creating a naquada reactor, coming up with solutions that stagger the imagination, leading a misson, caring for her friends, protecting her father, rescuing a teammate, loving Jack O'Neill! *squee moment* - but the human, fallible person behind it is what gives the depth and impact for me. Sam's not perfect, and I don't want her to be. She's made some mis-steps the last couple or so seasons, but that only makes me love her more. I didn't want to see her with another man, but I LOVED that she was going on this journey! What makes Sam tick? It can't all be work. Since Grace last season, we've seen Sam going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Is this all her life's about; the Stargate program? She's been saving the Earth for years, how about reaping the rewards of that by enjoying the life she saved. What I'm trying to say is that I want to see this journey that Sam's been on (and that started from the moment she stepped foot in the briefingroom in the first ep). I want to see the bitter with the sweet. I want to see the mistakes with the success. I just want to see Sam live her life, and that includes her professional 'and' personal life.
                        Nearlycircular: Well put, Sally! My favorite tv shows have almost always featured strong female characters, because of what you stated. We can live vicariously through their adventures. That's why Sam has been a great character to watch. I'll never be that smart or beautiful (or tall), but I am a woman and there aren't many women on tv who get to do all the "fun" things that Sam does; from brilliantly coming up with the solution to a potential disaster, to going off world and kicking butt, to interacting with 3 wonderful teammates, etc., etc., etc. And, she's real; she doesn't wear a catsuit, she doesn't have perfect hair and nails all the time, and she has a messy personal life. It's been a breath of fresh air watching her the last few years, and I could only wish that other tv shows would give us similar characters.
                        I will never be that smart or beautiful, though I’m probably taller (eek!). But overall I love Sam for all the reasons you’ve just said. And yes, unlike Vala, she doesn’t have to wear bodysuits. Sam really has had the opportunity to do just about everything the past eight seasons. We’ve seen nearly every type of Sam Carter possible, although I still think there could be a few more. But while the Sam in the past few seasons has been a little more personal life/emotionally based, it is just another facet of Sam, it’s not all that there is to her.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Hi all! New screen caps below! However, either my photo-website server, or the Gateworld server, is having slowdown problems of some sort... so - if the pics come up for you as boxes with red x's, then right click on the box where the pic is supposed to be and choose 'Show Picture'... for some reason the pics are then appearing
                          I felt as most of you have said you did about the Season 3 episode Seth... not my favorite Stargate or Sam episode, but that the last few scenes were powerful - and amazingly acted by AT. These last few scenes are some of the most vivid Stargate/Sam Carter scenes in my memory... using the hand device... blasting Seth into the ground... her stunned surprise and revulsion at what she's done... Jack's badly timed 'Hail Dorothy'... and AT's reaction to his comment... Powerful scenes, and they tie back to Jolinar's legacy as well as bring in scenes with her Dad.
                          Originally posted by deepspace
                          If I had chosen another, it would have probably been Seth (I’m surprised with myself). Mostly because of that scene near the end where Sam gets to use the goa’uld hand device, I think that Amanda did a great job with the disgusted/horrified look on Sam’s face at having slammed him into the ground. Otherwise I don’t actually rate this as one of my favourite Stargate episodes, but it’s got good Sam bits.
                          Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          Selmak told Sam that she had the will within herself
                          Jacob and Sam walk towards Jack and Daniel.
                          One person seems to turn away and Jacob walks past him.
                          He then turns and pulls down his hood.
                          SELMAK: Setesh!
                          SETH: Tok'ra kree chok!
                          He throws Jacob across into a crowd of people.
                          CARTER: Dad!
                          SELMAK: Your father will survive. Stop Seth.
                          CARTER: How? I can't control this.
                          SELMAK: You have the will within you. You must summon it.
                          Sam puts the device on.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          So I would not see her abusing the use of the devices or overusing them. Would she control them, or would they start to control her? Her success with Seth totally stunned and sobered her.

Originally posted by deepspace
                          When Sam used the hand device on Seth in, Seth. I think Amanda did a great job of the horror/disgust/sick look on Sam's face when she realised she had just slammed him into the ground.

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          This was tough but I went with Seth. It is not my favorite episode, but I thought the way Sam reacted to killing Seth--her phsycial and emotional repulsion in her ability to use this weapon--was very important for Sam's character. She had to kill Seth, but she looked physically sick as a consequence. AT played it so well---it was telling in the way that Sam reacted to Jack's "joke" of "Hail, Dorothy."-- not her typical reaction. She felt something that seemed to frighten her about herself.

Jack and Daniel arrive and Sam looks up.
                          DANIEL: You killed him.
                          O'NEILL: Hail Dorothy
                          Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          I agree with you about that scene in Seth where Sam uses the hand device and then reacts with stunned horror at what she's done. This was another scene where AT plays it all so perfectly that she pulls the viewer in to the scene with her and makes the viewer feel what she is feeling. Also liked her 'reaction' to Jack's 'humor'... she usually grins or such at his sarcastic humor, but this not this time.
                          Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          ...kill Seth. And, boy, did she ever! Right away, though, she felt a terrible... what? Fear? Guilt? Self-loathing? How exactly would you define that look she gave Jack after his hurtful "Praise Dorothy"?
                          Originally posted by jckfan55
                          That moment after she killed Seth was another great Sam/ Amanda acting moment.
                          Photos are screen caps from the episode Seth
                          Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 February 2005, 05:12 PM.

Comment

spoilers for s6's nightwalkers

Spoiler:
                            I would have liked to have seen the fallout of Sam having yet another symbiote die within her. I know the symbiote from Nightwalkers wasn't the sharpest crayon in the Goauld box, but it still 'was' a Goauld, so ... it died in her, wouldn't that have some sort of effect on her? I wish the show would have went somewhere with that.

Sally
                            Yes, it was treated as inconsequential--which I don't think it ever can be.

Comment

Well having just watched Prometheus, I have to say it had some good Sam moments.
                              Spoiler:
                              She kicks some butt, makes a radio from stray materials, and saves the day by sabotaging the ship. Sure the guys come in at the end, but Sam did the "heavy lifting." And I love when she notices the ship is powering up and says, Crap!
                              Last edited by jckfan55; 15 February 2005, 03:39 PM.

Comment

As far as non-Sam heavy episodes with good moments in Season 3: At the end of Forever in a Day when she sees Share dead next to Daniel--Sam simply says something like "Oh God" but you can see the emotion, poor Daniel. And when she brings him cookies and talks with him in the infirmary. Can't remember if that was Daniel's dream, or the reality, but either way, it was true to the Sam we know and love.

Comment

Working...
                                X