Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Rectangular--cute way to ID your location. I'm from a mitten-shaped state.
    Originally posted by Tok'ra Hostess
    Michigan?
    Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    That was my guess too. NC
    I too vote for Michigan as the mitten shaped state. One of my colleagues is from Michigan and I think I remember him describing the shape of Michigan as a mitten when we were talking geology of that region once... or rather I was talking geology (he's a real astrophysicist, so he was just asking questions... or maybe he wasn't and I was just rambling...am trying to remember if his eyes were glassed over...hmmmm ).

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Impressive site ... look forward to your Sam whumping! Doesn't Sally like those kind?! Loved your Spin the Bottle!
      It's the first site i've ever done, haha. Oh, yes, Sally just luuuuurves them

I'm glad you liked it (you reviewed it to I believe... Eeeh, i LOVe reviews)

If you want I could send you some snippets of the Sam-Whumping I have for "Broken" so far. See, it starts off with Sg-1 rescuing Sam after a 3 week imprisonment, only to find that, for Sam, thanks to an alien technology, it's been a whole hell of a lot longer than three weeks. Throughout the story it has "flashback" type things detailing some of the events involving the alien tech.

I just realized I only need 5 more rep points for my next Glowy Green Gello!!! (sry, yes, Jello, but hey, I coudln't resist)
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

ChopinGal - yes we have a thread full of amazing people!! We seem to have some brilliant educators here - What a wonderful career to be in I have nothing but respect for all you hard working teachers out there!!! And to all you educatees on the thread!!!
        You also made a lovely response to astrogeologist's post to my Hathor post - it was so so sweet!!
        And yes you are right re the ageing Sam/AT. I find her more captivating now than in season 1 - maybe thats because we know Sam? However don't think we can't all look great and interesting ourselves as we get older - just eat healthy, exercise, be happy, dress happy and reserve time just for yourselves (you sound as though you all deserve it) - Oh yes - and exfoiliate!!!

So glad I found this place!!

Re Sam's future - I couldn't handle her not being military. I just love her in this role. I also think it is a very important role and sends a much needed message to everyone watching - just to think beyond convention - don't be constrained by it. I want more of Sam the Soldier - not less of it.

I think though we will have to trust the writers to come with something acceptable.

It must be difficult for them to keep the show riding high - lets face it they will be under a lot of pressure. BB has said in his recent interview that season 9 will not be the same as the other seasons.

3 of the high profile characters are now gone (Janet, Hammond and Jack) Amanda doesn't want to work the same long hours she has been working for the last 8 years - all this does pose problems for the writers.

I would prefer that Amanda take the lead of SG1 and have a higher profile - Despite the fact that I am biased because I love Amanda's acting, I also think Sam is the most interesting and multifaceted character - so the writers would not find it difficult to give her more air time. However - how can they do this if Amanda does not want to commit to the long hours?

It will be interesting to see what comes out, but sadly I'm a bit worried myself.

I still think that they may be trying to woo Claudia Black into a more permanent role. Perhaps she will be the warrior female on SG1 in future?

I have to say I wouldn't want that. I would prefer another intelligent, tough and capable military woman in the team (You warmin' up out there MajorSam?)- TV sends out so many unhealthy messages. SG1 has been a breath of fresh air for many reasons, but most importantly for me because of Sam Carter. The character sends out such a great positive message regarding women - and Amanda backs this up to the hilt. I just want a believable role model in there - not a sexy alien warrior. All the recent comment has made me wonder whether season 9 will turn out to be a spin off in the guise of Stargate SG1?

If the worst happens and Sam does resign from the military - I will just have to resort to one particular writing wonder for my "soldier Sam" fix
        Thanks for your lovely comments too. On the being happy, I actually teach a course on what makes a person truly happy? ... and try to get the graduating seniors thinking about themselves and their own attitudes and choices. Love the insightful papers they produce. It comes down to a cliche: your attitude determines your altitude. But, heck, good genes and proper exfoliation count for something too! Let's say, at my age, I'm a pragmatic idealist!!

When the writers sacrificed Janet, they lost a valuable dynamic between two strong women. That friendship and professional relationship provided the estrogen bubble to a testosterone-laden show. (AT had joked about being "the bubble" which offset some of the predominantly male influence.) Frankly, I think Sam and Janet were the heart of Stargate. And, of course, Cassie also became a victim in this turn of events. Sam has really had to carry the show on her own shoulders since then - did you notice that the new woman doctor didn't seem to last too long? Unless Dr. Brightman returns to the SGC in S9, we will be left with secondary characters like Ishta and Vala to provide some of the female dynamic. I don't see either as replacements for Janet however. Sam has lost her best friend and colleague, and now more losses in S8. Sigh.

I agree completely that Sam Carter versus "sexy woman warrior" is no contest. Well, the male demographic would probably see it differently but, here in Samanda, women rule!

Now I'm going to tease you a bit and venture that you may be referring to AstroG for the writing fix! But, then again, it could be Sky or Major Sam ... let's say you'll have a lot of good fanfic out there to go to if we lose our soldier Sam. I'm with you on that too!

CG
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 February 2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Spoilers and Speculation for Carter's role in Season 9
          (including a reference to a spoiler from 'Threads'):

Spoiler:
          Regardless of what happens in Moebius, here’s what we know about Season 9 so far:

1>> O’Neill does not retire before the start of Season 9: “Jack O'Neill is promoted to oversee Homeworld Security (General Hammond's job during the current season),” Gateworld

2. >> Carter leaves SG-1 and takes another position of some sort. “When we begin season nine Carter has already accepted a special position that takes her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons” Robert Cooper, Stargate SG1 - the Official Magazine

3. >> Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) and Vala will join SG-1 at the beginning of Season 9.

4.>> AT will be not be in the first 5 episodes and she may have a reduced role in the 15 remaining episodes.

Now I *really* wanted to see Carter’s leadership and command featured in Season 9 – because she wasn’t given much of a chance at it in Season 8.

However, the facts listed above are leading me to believe that Carter isn’t going to be in command of SG-1 in Season 9, and I’m trying to sadly wrap my disappointed mind around that idea. Robert Cooper said that ‘Carter has already accepted a special position that takes her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons’… so, if she left SG-1 voluntarily, then the command will not simply be waiting for her when she returns. The command of SG-1 will belong to Lt. Col. Mitchell.

I’ve also been musing about this ‘special position’ that Carter takes for ‘both personal and professional reasons’… and I was wondering if they were setting it up so that when Season 9 starts, Carter has become the Tokra liason… taking on the role in the memory of her father… If Carter were the Tokra liason, and spending lots of time with the Tokra, then they could write Carter in heavily or lightly depending on how things work out for AT and the new baby.

Would she keep her rank and stay in the military while in this ‘new position’? I suppose they could write it either way.

When she was back with the team, who would be in charge? – Mitchell, it will be his team.

They could also take it one step further… and have Carter get Tokra’d… have Sam accept a Tokra whose host was dying… or have Carter get injured and she is Tokra’d to save her life.

With Carter Tokra’d, she could be the Tokra liason with earth, but Earth would never let a Tokra command SG-1 – they might let her be a part of the team – or accompany the team on missions like Jacob did, but they wouldn’t let a Tokra lead SG-1. On the ship side, a Tokra’d Sam would probably stall the J/S ship as it would become Jack/Sam/TokraX – and I’ll bet Jack would have problems with that.

I’m hoping that they *don’t* Tokra Sam. I *really* don’t like losing Colonel Carter and her positive portrayal of women in the military – I still want to see Kick-Ass Colonel Carter giving hand-signals in the field and leading the team competently. I also still want to see Carter dealing with the aftereffects and legacy from Jolinar… and a new Tokra symbiote would kind of overwrite and overpower the remnants of Jolinar, except, perhaps for her memories. I also don’t like the ‘ship yo-yo’ anymore… I hope they choose a direction for the ship and leave it alone!

So… what do you all think of where my mind wandered?
          Do you think that Carter’s new position might be as the Tokra liason?
          And what about the idea of Carter getting Tokra’d?
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 13 February 2005, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
            It's the first site i've ever done, haha. Oh, yes, Sally just luuuuurves them

I'm glad you liked it (you reviewed it to I believe... Eeeh, i LOVe reviews)

If you want I could send you some snippets of the Sam-Whumping I have for "Broken" so far. See, it starts off with Sg-1 rescuing Sam after a 3 week imprisonment, only to find that, for Sam, thanks to an alien technology, it's been a whole hell of a lot longer than three weeks. Throughout the story it has "flashback" type things detailing some of the events involving the alien tech.

I just realized I only need 5 more rep points for my next Glowy Green Gello!!! (sry, yes, Jello, but hey, I coudln't resist)
            Gosh ... I did review Spin ... it was a fun read and very imaginative!

Off to bed ... feel free to share your upcoming fic ... however, I probably won't be too free myself to read it until next weekend. Gosh, once you break Sam, I hope you know how to put her back together again! But that could be your whole point in writing the story ... can she be put back together again? Ooh, that's dark, very dark and edgy .... hehehehe Sounds like a good one!

Comment

MajorSam, can you explain the 'glowy' green jellos? I tried looking in the FAQ, but didn't see an explanation (doesn't mean it wasn't there, I may have just not seen it). And, none of my 3 green jello blocks are glowing

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Spoilers and Speculation for Carter's role in Season 9:

Spoiler:
                Regardless of what happens in Moebius, here’s what we know about Season 9 so far:

1>> O’Neill does not retire before the start of Season 9: “Jack O'Neill is promoted to oversee Homeworld Security (General Hammond's job during the current season),” Gateworld

2. >> Carter leaves SG-1 and takes another position of some sort. “When we begin season nine Carter has already accepted a special position that takes her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons” Robert Cooper, Stargate SG1 - the Official Magazine

3. >> Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) and Vala will join SG-1 at the beginning of Season 9.

4.>> AT will be not be in the first 5 episodes and she may have a reduced role in the 15 remaining episodes.

Now I *really* wanted to see Carter’s leadership and command featured in Season 9 – because she wasn’t given much of a chance at it in Season 8.

However, the facts listed above are leading me to believe that Carter isn’t going to be in command of SG-1 in Season 9, and I’m trying to sadly wrap my disappointed mind around that idea. Robert Cooper said that ‘Carter has already accepted a special position that takes her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons’… so, if she left SG-1 voluntarily, then the command will not simply be waiting for her when she returns. The command of SG-1 will belong to Lt. Col. Mitchell.

I’ve also been musing about this ‘special position’ that Carter takes for ‘both personal and professional reasons’… and I was wondering if they were setting it up so that when Season 9 starts, Carter has become the Tokra liason… taking on the role in the memory of her father… If Carter were the Tokra liason, and spending lots of time with the Tokra, then they could write Carter in heavily or lightly depending on how things work out for AT and the new baby.

Would she keep her rank and stay in the military while in this ‘new position’? I suppose they could write it either way.

When she was back with the team, who would be in charge? – Mitchell, it will be his team.

They could also take it one step further… and have Carter get Tokra’d… have Sam accept a Tokra whose host was dying… or have Carter get injured and she is Tokra’d to save her life.

With Carter Tokra’d, she could be the Tokra liason with earth, but Earth would never let a Tokra command SG-1 – they might let her be a part of the team – or accompany the team on missions like Jacob did, but they wouldn’t let a Tokra lead SG-1. On the ship side, a Tokra’d Sam would probably stall the J/S ship as it would become Jack/Sam/TokraX – and I’ll bet Jack would have problems with that.

I’m hoping that they *don’t* Tokra Sam. I *really* don’t like losing Colonel Carter and her positive portrayal of women in the military – I still want to see Kick-Ass Colonel Carter giving hand-signals in the field and leading the team competently. I also still want to see Carter dealing with the aftereffects and legacy from Jolinar… and a new Tokra symbiote would kind of overwrite and overpower the remnants of Jolinar, except, perhaps for her memories. I also don’t like the ‘ship yo-yo’ anymore… I hope they choose a direction for the ship and leave it alone!

I have major dental work scheduled for 8:30 tomorrow morning - am I crazy - still on here answering these posts!! Omigod ... this is the last one - it's not gonna be pretty tomorrow - and then to work with a mouthful of novocaine.

Astro - I don't believe you just put this up - I was going to respond via e-mail from earlier private message. Can't do it justice now but just want you to clarify something first ...

*Spoiler*
                Do you mean she has a symbiote again? Or does she just become an ambassador to the Tok'ra in name only?!

Good night, all!! Send healing thoughts my way about 9:00am tomorrow morning!

Comment

MajorSam, can you explain the 'glowy' green jellos? I tried looking in the FAQ, but didn't see an explanation (doesn't mean it wasn't there, I may have just not seen it). And, none of my 3 green jello blocks are glowing
                  I really am going to bed!!!! BUT ... Major Fischer explained this several pages back - you and I are not even close - it takes hundreds of dark-green Jello rep points to get you to the radioactive kind! Hunt back in the posts ...

Just nuke me now!

Comment

Gosh ... I did review Spin ... it was a fun read and very imaginative!

Off to bed ... feel free to share your upcoming fic ... however, I probably won't be too free myself to read it until next weekend. Gosh, once you break Sam, I hope you know how to put her back together again! But that could be your whole point in writing the story ... can she be put back together again? Ooh, that's dark, very dark and edgy .... hehehehe Sounds like a good one!
                    Lol, I hope it'll be good! I'll send you some in the next few days (hopefully will have written more by then) and it's all good, I usually am very busy and cant read things till weekends either!!!

Once I get some more fics up, you'll realize I actually lean toward the dark edgy depressing evil fics... lol, somewhat contradicting to my usually very happy/hyper personality, but still. I just hope I can write what I imagine in my head...!

Haha, I didn't understand myself for months and months. You get a normal green block every one hundred rep points (you start off with one block, and no rep) but once you reach 700 points, you get a new block every 200 points, and they're glowing green. It's a very exciting thing

EEEEEH, I just realized I have my third glowy!!! EEEEh *jumps around in crazy glowing jello dance*

Thanks to everyone who's ever given me rep in here

AstroG, I would LOVE to read your post on Season 9, you always say insightful mind candy things, but my stupid no-spoilers policy once again has come knocking at the door BAH
                    The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I have major dental work scheduled for 8:30 tomorrow morning - am I crazy - still on here answering these posts!! Omigod ... this is the last one - it's not gonna be pretty tomorrow - and then to work with a mouthful of novocaine.
                      ChopinGal, will be thinking positive thoughts for you tomorrow. Hope the dental work goes well - the dentists are so much better at it all nowadays compared to 20 years or so ago!

Spoilers for Season 9 below:
                      Spoiler:
                      From ChopinGal: Do you mean she has a symbiote again? Or does she just become an ambassador to the Tok'ra in name only?!

Either way... They could devise a scenario where Sam gets another symbiote - or they could just let her be the liason without a symbiote...

What do you think of it all? Am I demented? (please say yes)

Comment

Haha, I didn't understand myself for months and months. You get a normal green block every one hundred rep points (you start off with one block, and no rep) but once you reach 700 points, you get a new block every 200 points, and they're glowing green. It's a very exciting thing
                        Thanks MajorSam, I get it now... and as ChopinGal said, I'm nowhere near a radioactive glowy one, so I'll guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the plain lime jello!

AstroG, I would LOVE to read your post on Season 9, you always say insightful mind candy things, but my stupid no-spoilers policy once again has come knocking at the door
                        That's why I blanked it all with spoiler tags. But I tried to stay away from specific comments about the events in Season 8 episodes and I just commented on things that have been posted in Gateworld articles regarding Season 9 - and that magazine article that NC quoted earlier in the thread. So, I don't think there are a lot of controversial spoilers, I think most of the spoilers are just Season 9 comments coming out from TPTB and Gateworld. But then... I have my speculations (which might be completely wrong)....
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 13 February 2005, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Spoilers and Speculation for Carter's role in Season 9:

Spoiler:

That's definitely something I haven't thought of before.

SPOILERS FOR "THREADS" & SEASON NINE:
                          Spoiler:

But I'm wondering how much time they're gonna devote to the Tok'ra if they don't have that connection. It's interesting. With Jacob gone, you're right, they'd have to have someone there as a liason, however I don't think Jack or the Joint Chiefs would willingly allow someone to go into a situation where the Tok'ra are hiding information. Jacob was no longer "in the loop" by the end of "Death Knell," and the relationship between him and his fellow Tok'ra seemed strained - with the exception of those who actually paid him their respects at the end of "Threads." Also, I think Sam's one of those officers who's indispensable, you know? Jack, of all people would be unwilling to let her go, I bet - remember how he was with Daniel this season? Having Sam get Tok'ra-fied (heh heh) - perhaps initially against her will again? - would definitely present some drama and a dang good reason for her being gone for so long, though.

I'd like to think that TPTB realize how incredibly DUMB it would be to have some newbie character take over Sam's role as SG-1's CO. Egad... Then again, SG-1 is unique as it is, with only one military officer, a Jaffa and a civilian, and I don't think they'd complicate matters by having 2 stinkin' Lieutenant Colonels on one team. Unfortunately. I'd really like to see how Cameron and Sam get along...

That's why I'm wondering if they continue with the AU-arc into this upcoming season. When RCC says that she's "already accepted," we'd have to assume that it either happens at the second part of Moebius, or off-camera during the season premiere of season nine. Sam would make this decision before season eight ends/season nine begins, and Jack would make his - assuming he actually leaves for the whole season - and the problems would be solved before the season premiere.

Maybe I'm just projecting because I love Alternate Realities so much...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            That's definitely something I haven't thought of before.

SPOILERS FOR "THREADS" & SEASON NINE:
                            Spoiler:

But I'm wondering how much time they're gonna devote to the Tok'ra if they don't have that connection. It's interesting. With Jacob gone, you're right, they'd have to have someone there as a liason, however I don't think Jack or the Joint Chiefs would willingly allow someone to go into a situation where the Tok'ra are hiding information. Jacob was no longer "in the loop" by the end of "Death Knell," and the relationship between him and his fellow Tok'ra seemed strained - with the exception of those who actually paid him their respects at the end of "Threads." Also, I think Sam's one of those officers who's indispensable, you know? Jack, of all people would be unwilling to let her go, I bet - remember how he was with Daniel this season? Having Sam get Tok'ra-fied (heh heh) - perhaps initially against her will again? - would definitely present some drama and a dang good reason for her being gone for so long, though.

I'd like to think that TPTB realize how incredibly DUMB it would be to have some newbie character take over Sam's role as SG-1's CO. Egad... Then again, SG-1 is unique as it is, with only one military officer, a Jaffa and a civilian, and I don't think they'd complicate matters by having 2 stinkin' Lieutenant Colonels on one team. Unfortunately. I'd really like to see how Cameron and Sam get along...

That's why I'm wondering if they continue with the AU-arc into this upcoming season. When RCC says that she's "already accepted," we'd have to assume that it either happens at the second part of Moebius, or off-camera during the season premiere of season nine. Sam would make this decision before season eight ends/season nine begins, and Jack would make his - assuming he actually leaves for the whole season - and the problems would be solved before the season premiere.

Maybe I'm just projecting because I love Alternate Realities so much...
                            Dancer: Yes! That's what I needed to hear!
                            Spoiler:
                            And I love your AU idea - it would be a great scifi plot device to take it over several episodes or more.

I tried to rep you, but it won't let me yet... so, will blue jello do in the meantime?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              and there's no end of praise for her on behalf of the the cast and crew. over adn over on the commentaries they talk about her. the lighting guys like how the light likes her, they talk about how great she is doing things or acting or how she can technobabble like theere's no tomorrow

she's a great actress, and nomatter how much some fans pick on her, she obviously has the respect of her peers....and at the end of the day, that's what counts
                              I can honestly say I was affected by Sam/Amanda right from the start. That doesn't happen to me very often, where I take a liking to someone from the moment I see them on the screen. Sam's a very likable character, but it was Amanda that grabbed my attention even more. Everything she's gotten she's *earned*. I know the ptb like Amanda, but I hope they show the respect she deserves in regards to her abbreviated schedule next season.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (Oops! forgive the O'Neill cliche!) ... Amanda is going to make one amazing momma herself.

You got that right!

((((((((Amanda))))))))

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X