No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of us who are action Sam junkies, here's another Robert C. Cooper question and answer that is reassuring.

Question:
    Season eight tied up a lot of loose ends for StargateSG-l. Do you think it will be a different show in season nine as a result of that?

Answer:
    We hope so. We have always embraced change. Thankfully our fans have as well. We've never reset to zero but rather built on the past and evolved the characters and mythology of the series. We like to think this is one of the reasons it's been successful. Season nine may see some of the biggest changes yet but we still plan on maintaining the core concept of four adventurers going through the gate each week, discovering new worlds and fighting bad guys. Some of those faces may change and the bad guys they're fighting will change but hopefully that will keep the series from getting old. It certainly keeps us creatively interested as writers.

Specifically, there will be some new bad guys in season nine tied heavily into the Stargate SG-l mythology. A threat more powerful that the Goa'uld. But there are still some loose ends dangling as well. Will the Jaffa come together peacefully? Not all the Goa'uld are dead. What cockroaches will crawl to the surface after the fire? And with new characters, will come new stories as well.

NC

Comment

[QUOTE=NearlyCircular]For those of us who are action Sam junkies, here's another Robert C. Cooper question and answer that is reassuring.

Question:
      Season eight tied up a lot of loose ends for StargateSG-l. Do you think it will be a different show in season nine as a result of that?

Answer:
      We hope so. We have always embraced change. Thankfully our fans have as well. We've never reset to zero but rather built on the past and evolved the characters and mythology of the series. We like to think this is one of the reasons it's been successful. Season nine may see some of the biggest changes yet but we still plan on maintaining the core concept of four adventurers going through the gate each week, discovering new worlds and fighting bad guys. Some of those faces may change and the bad guys they're fighting will change but hopefully that will keep the series from getting old. It certainly keeps us creatively interested as writers.

Specifically, there will be some new bad guys in season nine tied heavily into the Stargate SG-l mythology. A threat more powerful that the Goa'uld. But there are still some loose ends dangling as well. Will the Jaffa come together peacefully? Not all the Goa'uld are dead. What cockroaches will crawl to the surface after the fire? And with new characters, will come new stories as well.

Yes, but this doesn't infer that Sam will a) be in command of SG1 and b) actually be the fourth member ... I'm just feeling down about what's happened to the character the past two seasons and think that the writers have failed to help Sam get her mojo back! If she is sent on a mission at beginning of S9 but not in a military role, that seems to weaken her even more for future resumption of duties. Can you picture that, while Sam is away, the new guy steps up and into her shoes. Does it really seem plausible that he will relinquish the command when she returns, especially if she was on reassignment of duties but not as a military person?

Of course, the confounding variable in all this is the actor, herself. Lord knows we want AT to deliver a healthy, bouncing baby and enjoy this most important role of her life. So, as some fans have already said, this may also play a factor for the return of Sam Carter regarding a) hours committed to the show and b) how physical and involved Sam will be able to get regarding a possible lessening of time on set and her overall energy. Something may have to give ... We respect RDA for his overall commitment to his child; we may see the same lessening of screentime for Amanda too. Only time will tell.

I think I have been guilty of wanting the action-adventure model of Sam back - the young, heroic soldier we saw and admired for at least six seasons ... now we may have to adjust to possibly a new version of old Sam ... a more mature and maybe less in-the-field model. I truly hope she does manage to combine her new motherhood and her SG1 role successfully - but I hope the writers respect the core of the character and honor her as a leader and veteran of the SGC no matter what.

Off my soapbox and back to my legal pad!
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 February 2005, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Yes, but this doesn't infer that Sam will a) be in command of SG1 and b) actually be the fourth member ... I'm just feeling down about what's happened to the character the past two seasons and think that the writers have failed to help Sam get her mojo back!
        I agree with you about a), but I am hopeful about b), mainly because the name of the show is Stargate SG1, which implies the main focus of the show is the team. So unless they plan on removing Amanda from a leading role, I would think Sam would have to be on SG1. Now, we can speculate as to whether she's in command or even in the military, but let's hope that she's still going off world regularly with the team.

NC

Comment

[QUOTE=ChopinGal]
          Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          So, as some fans have already said, this may also play a factor for the return of Sam Carter regarding b) how physical and involved Sam will be able to get regarding a possible lessening of time on set and her overall energy. Something may have to give ...

Or she could leave the stunts to her stunt double, as does RDA (and a great many good actors). Not doing most of her own stunts, especially the physically demanding/challenging ones will certainly free up more of AT's time so that she could still play Action Sam.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

time will tell with what they'll do

one thing about amanda, it's not like she's going to leave the little one at home, they've all got trailers which are like little mobile homes and can certainly bring her young one to work with her. so while she will want to work less hours, she will be able to bring the baby to work with her

as to what they do with her absence....well, here's hoping she gets sent off to work with something in washington or area 51 and is just on TDY for a bit (temp duty) and comes back

if cammy's going to be the new boss, well i cant' say that i'm too fond of that fact, unless sam's going off is something she chooses to do....but eh, aint' much we can do about it
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if it's ok to post excerpts from the interview in Stargate Magazine with Amanda about filming for Threads, but I'll put it here for now, and if it isn't, could a mod please remove it? Skydiver, if you're reading, maybe you can give some guidance.

Spoilers for Threads
              Spoiler:

...Argenziano, who has been a key part of Stargate SG1 since his first appearance in season two episode Secrets, has long been a very close friend of the actress, who confessed that filming Carter's reaction to her dad's death was a particularly difficult task.

"What's so astounding to me is that we started to shoot it, I was up in the observation room and had to walk down [to the Gateroom]. And I lost it," recalls Tapping. "I wasn't even on camera. I went back up to the observation room and they said, 'Why are you crying?' and I said, 'They're killing off Carmen!' The enormity of it hit me right then, it hit me just like a brick to the head, and I couldn't stop crying."

Despite her distress at Jacob Carter's departure, the actress acknowledges that the episode provided an excellent conclusion to the character's arc.

"It worked out beautifully," she admits. .'They handled it really well. I don't think they had to kill him off, but I think it worked. It worked in with a couple of different story lines, so it was really kind of cool."

NC

NC, I also think you should post this at the 'Threads' episode thread... apparently a lot of folks have been saying that Sam/AT didn't show enough remorse during these scenes. I think they should all get a chance to read your quote.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                NC, I also think you should post this at the 'Threads' episode thread... apparently a lot of folks have been saying that Sam/AT didn't show enough remorse during these scenes. I think they should all get a chance to read your quote.
                you know, if they feel that, then they just have a far different idea of sam than i do.

sam is NOT one to break down sobbing at work. In this case, she had days to reconcile herself to what was going to happen.

we did see sam act out in heroes, but in that case i see it as a mixture of grief and shock and adrenaline. I mean, there she was on a planet, under fire, trying not to get killed and comes back to find out what happened adn she's massively upset...and even then we saw anger more than sobbing tears.

everyone reacts to grief differently, and sam is not an effusive person that way.

i thought her reaction in threads was very sam-like

sigpic

Comment

Eeeee, by gum! It's easy to loose your posts - Just done it again!!!

Just popped back on to comment about something I'd forgotton earlier:-

Re Fragile Balance. I too hated the briefing room scene - I just cringed for poor Sam. To me it was quite unbelievable that the pilots would actually think and behave in that manner. I assume they would all be aware of Sam's expertise and heroic actions as a soldier and pilot and I would expect they would all hold her in high regard. However we got what we got. I liked Astrogeologists thoughts that Sam acted in that scene with grace and professionalism and it was the pilots who acted out of line!!

Despite that scene I do like the ep, I like the idea of the young Jack clone. One of my fave season 7 snippets is in there (I love snippets)

SG1 (minus mini Jack) and Hammond are in the coridoor considering if it was possible that Jack had regressed overnight:-

Daniel - Well stranger things have happened!
                  Teal'c - Name me but one!
                  Daniel - well there was the time he got really old, the time he became a caveman, the time we all swappwd bodies......
                  He's about to continue but hammond interrupts him - brilliant - The timing and delivery was perfect and all their expressions spot on. These little snippets are the icing on a large Stargate SG1 cake for me!!!

Comment

Well off to swot up on season 3 eps - What a chore eh!!

I need to get away from the season 8 postings - Am I the only one who has not seen any season 8 yet? I'm frustrated I can't join in the debates!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      you know, if they feel that, then they just have a far different idea of sam than i do.

sam is NOT one to break down sobbing at work. In this case, she had days to reconcile herself to what was going to happen.

we did see sam act out in heroes, but in that case i see it as a mixture of grief and shock and adrenaline. I mean, there she was on a planet, under fire, trying not to get killed and comes back to find out what happened adn she's massively upset...and even then we saw anger more than sobbing tears.

everyone reacts to grief differently, and sam is not an effusive person that way.

Yeah, it's funny, I can almost say, 100%, that if Sam HAD burst out in tears, they would still be ranting about how she's such a wuss and can't keep herself together, and so unprofessional.... So we have either thinking she's a heartless b*tch, or a sobbing wreck. It's ridiculous to me, they should all get a shot of some Samanda medicine!!!
                      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                        Yeah, it's funny, I can almost say, 100%, that if Sam HAD burst out in tears, they would still be ranting about how she's such a wuss and can't keep herself together, and so unprofessional.... So we have either thinking she's a heartless b*tch, or a sobbing wreck. It's ridiculous to me, they should all get a shot of some Samanda medicine!!!
                        yep, definitely need some Samanda

I thought her expression in the infirmary was totally Sam-Like

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

I agree Denise, i thought Sam was very loving,gentle and dignified during that scene in Threads.
                          In heroes i felt>>>>>

SPOILERS FOR HEROES 1&2
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \\
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          \\
                          \
                          \
                          \
                          that Sam showed how angry she was at just how futule the loss of Janet was and how brutal for
                          a person in the profession of saving lives had hers so cruely cut so short.
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            [/COLOR]

Or she could leave the stunts to her stunt double, as does RDA (and a great many good actors). Not doing most of her own stunts, especially the physically demanding/challenging ones will certainly free up more of AT's time so that she could still play Action Sam.
                            True--they do a good job of matching up the actual actor and the stunt doubles, so it isn't obvious they've switched back and forth.

I certainly would sympathize with AT if she wants a more reasonable schedule once the baby arrives. I also think, from what we've heard about her, that she would fight attempts to minimize her *character's* significance. Whether TPTB listen to her is always another question....Let's hope these new writers I've heard they're hiring, have a good handle on who Sam is.

Comment

CG, I'd PM you, but you must have it disabled. Not PA or IA, but another one of those boxy states somewhere in the middle of the country, SD. I just changed my location on GW today as a matter of fact. And yes, math teacher.

NC
                              Rectangular--cute way to ID your location. I'm from a mitten-shaped state.

Comment

I missed a day, oh no!!!
                                Lots of posts to catch up on (this is good), but no time today. I will vote in the season 3 poll tomorrow, hopefully.

First, yay that we got to 1000 while I wasn't here

ChopinGal: I think that's why Sam Carter resonates for many of us. We can see ourselves in her wins and losses. So, while we're rooting for an imaginary hero onscreen, we're also rooting for ourselves.
                                I suppose in a way, that I want to see some of myself in Sam, although it's pretty tough when I'm not even remotely 'bright' or 'smart' like her. Still, I think that she helps me to find in myself something, though I'm not sure what it is.

Astrogeologist: Do you like the idea of Dr. Carter instead of Colonel Carter?
                                MajorSam: I still think it would be ridiculous to make her retire, Dr. Carter should stick with the AU's!
                                I do not like the idea of Sam retiring! I want her to be in the military. I think that just being 'Dr.Carter' isn't good enough. I really hope they don't do this.

Coley: I just want a believable role model in there - not a sexy alien warrior.
                                They are not going to replace Sam with that Vala creature, nooooooo, never. *is in denial*

Anyway, there's heaps more I want to post about thoroughly, but for now, I'm just saying hi.
                                ...gee, that was a rather long roundabout way of saying hi.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X