No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Now I can see it in all its glory! I also loved that scene. I think AT has great comedic timing and I would love to see more of it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

I'm afraid I'm one of the few, I think, that liked Avenger (apart from the end scene) I though it was hilariously tongue in cheeck and there were some classic acting and scripting moments. I loved the scene at Felgers house. Well the ep appealed to my sense of humour I guess. It was brilliant acting by all three (including Felgers assistant Chloe)
      I liked Avenger too! Including that fantasy ending scene! The guy that plays Felger (can't remember his name right now) is a great comedian to me. The ep was fun and funny.

Anyway, I do hope TPTB stop trying to girlie Sam up (though maybe Amanda wants to play her different - she must be worried about getting typecast) Amanda does it girlie) perfectly. Her Girlie performance in Chimera makes her a totally different Sam to the one in 2010, or Ascention, again shows what a great actor Amanda is, but I think Sam is more 2010 like than Chimera like off base. Just my opinion though. I also have heard about a particular moment with Pete at the end of one ep in season 8 which had me going "no way what are the writers trying to do to poor Sam?" Lets hope they turn it back around in season 9
      I like the 'girl' side of Sam. I was taken aback a bit when it showed up so strong in Chimera, but that's just because we'd never seen that side of Sam before. I can NOT say I enjoyed Chimera (I'm an extreme Sam/Jack fan), but Amanda was gorgeous and wonderful in that ep nonetheless. I'll never be able to watch that ep again, though (waaaaaay too painful).

What I want in season nine for Sam:

SHOW Sam commanding Sg1! And I mean *really* show her. Show her struggle with a decision on her own. No Jack or another commander to get advice from; just Sam having to make the 'hard' decision on her own. Amanda would nail it!

(with the shipper side of me) Let Sam finally get Jack! Let her be happy in a relationship that she's wanted for years.

Show Cassie again, and how having to take care of this girl is affecting Sam.

I'd really like season nine to be the fulfillment of what Sam's been working for and wanting since she stepped foot into the SGC all those years ago. She's got command of THE leading SG team, she's happy in her private life (Jack), and her goals in the future are... to finally be at peace with where she's at in her life. Let Sam come full circle.

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

And I thought that short exchange between Carter and McKay was wonderful!

After your reference to it, I listened to the Director's Audio Commentary and I think that one of the directors was stating that he didn't care for having two characters with humorous lines at the same time... I think the director prefers the standard pairing of a funny guy with a 'straight man'. But I disagree in this case - I think that this scene played out wonderfully for both characters! Both actors did a wonderful and playful job with it. AT delivered sarcastic, yet playful humor (not easy to do). I also thought it was a great widening of the scope of Carter's character... get her out of that serious straightjacket a little. She's always smiling at O'Neill's sarcastic humor... so let her show a little of her own every now and then.
        I love Sam exchanges with McKay too!

It was so fun to see this side of Sam (snarky). We'd never seen her react like this, but then again, no one's ever been this rude to Sam before. He wasn't just challenging her/questioning her intelligence, he was insulting her because of his jealousy. I still think McKay's a jerk (I don't want Atlantis, so I don't know if he's changed), but I greatly enjoyed Sam's come-backs to his arrogance and such.

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          What I want in season nine for Sam: SHOW Sam commanding Sg1! And I mean *really* show her. Show her struggle with a decision on her own. No Jack or another commander to get advice from; just Sam having to make the 'hard' decision on her own. Amanda would nail it!
          Here! Here! All in favor? Motion Carries!
          Here's hoping that TPTB can write Carter appropriately.

Originally posted by coley
          I think everyone on the thread is of the universal opinion that they love the way AT has portrayed this character. As a soldier she is totally believable
          Competency Under Fire

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Nemesis'
          Thor's biopod has already been sent through the Gate and Carter, O'Neill and Teal'c are holding the replicators off while waiting until they can blow Thor's ship as it enters Earth's atmosphere.
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 11 January 2005, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Anyway, I do hope TPTB stop trying to girlie Sam up (though maybe Amanda wants to play her different - she must be worried about getting typecast) Amanda does it girlie) perfectly. Her Girlie performance in Chimera makes her a totally different Sam to the one in 2010, or Ascention, again shows what a great actor Amanda is, but I think Sam is more 2010 like than Chimera like off base. Just my opinion though. I also have heard about a particular moment with Pete at the end of one ep in season 8 which had me going "no way what are the writers trying to do to poor Sam?" Lets hope they turn it back around in season 9

Sam/AT Rules!!
            I liked the softer side of Sam in Chimera a lot better than the cold and/or austere Sam in 2010... I like to see her more warm and human... Her 'softer side' came out so well in 'Singularity' with Cassie...and then a little of it in 'Learning Curve' with Merrin... after that they didn't give much more script or screen time to that facet of her character....

And she likes to ride motorcycles and fly jet planes so we should get to see that fire and playfullness sometimes... but she also plays the militarily correct subordinate officer so well, that the playfulness doesn't get to come out very often. Space Race showed a few glimpses of Sam beyond the quiet intellectual scientist and/or militarily correct subordinate.

I like the 'girl' side of Sam. I was taken aback a bit when it showed up so strong in Chimera, but that's just because we'd never seen that side of Sam before. I can NOT say I enjoyed Chimera (I'm an extreme Sam/Jack fan), but Amanda was gorgeous and wonderful in that ep nonetheless.
            I too, like the 'girl' side of Sam. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning scenes in the coffee shop. Humorous dialogue... that was fun and warm. I was enjoyed seeing Sam with a guy... getting to go on a date... AT handled it all so perfectly and I liked what it showed about Sam as a warm, caring person. TPTB, however, made a mistake by taking it too far all in that one episode. There had been how many shows without any mention of Carter dating? And then they suddenly decide to devote some screen time to it... and they do it all at once... in one episode. And, having Pete object to the classified nature and required secrecy of her work - that was a bad decision - a bad decision if they wanted to give the character even half a chance with the audience... but if they intended to sabotage it, then that was the way to do it. When he got out of bed and pulled on his clothes and left after getting pissy because she couldn't tell him about her work... right then his character was doomed. They ramped up Pete's demands too fast and too soon to make him likeable.

And I hated the way that they made Sam 'the weak female' by calling after him as he left that morning. And then showing her calling after him on the phone.... they made her look pathetic. Ugh!

And then having Pete do that background check on her and follow her... I could maybe understand that kind of behavior if they'd been seeing each other for months and she kept missing dates... and coming home injured... and such. But their relationship was so new, that his actions didn't make sense. Not for someone that Sam should care for.

All in all, I was actually looking forward to some character development that showed Sam (and the other guys too) dating and having lives beyond work. But the last few scenes of Chimera weakened the strong admirable qualities that we've come to respect in Sam.

It's too bad that there weren't simple comments throughout the eight seasons... just simple comments about Daniel's latest date... or Sam's... or Jack's or Teal'c's... give them lives outside of work... With just a few passing comments here and there while they are eating lunch or something. Then there wouldn't have been seven years of nothing followed by one episode of overdose.

I'm trying hard to avoid the 'S/J ship' controversies as this isn't a ship thread... but if you want to know how I feel about Stargate ship, then please read 'Come Fly With Me' and 'What Will It Take' .
            Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 January 2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Another thread prompted me to watch the opening scene of Metamorphosis last night. Her exchange with Jonas is brilliant. I though the pair acted very well together, there was quite a bit of comedy between them. I was disapointed when Corin left. Jonas was a great character. I though they could have kept both Daniel and Jonas, with Jonas training up on the military side to give the team a bit more beef, as well as forming a great duo with Daniel. Anyway, back top topic Amanda's "Chicken ****" really suprised me, I did chuckle, but it was the first time I noticed the character swear! I wonder if AT fought saying that?
              Sam/AT Rules!!
              That comment also surprised me... but then it would have surprised me coming from O'Neill too - none of the characters talk much like that on TV... the writers, et. al. have kept these characters fairly 'Disney-rated'...which I don't think is typical of special forces soldiers when talking to each other about dating. That aside, when Sam said it.. and my eyebrows rose... I thought... OK.. they just let a little of the jet jockey show through! And I also thought that it showed a little bit of a wider, deeper friendship that had developed between Jonas and Sam. A friendship where they could josh each other around like that... say things like that to each other. And I liked that implication, because there isn't much time for such character development when there is only 42 min of screen time per episode... and they have to save the world... again..

Here's to Sam the jet jockey...
              ...and to seeing her flying for fun and loosening up a bit ...go out for a beer with some other pilots or SGC team members and just sit around telling tall tales... joshing with the other pilots...
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 January 2005, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Very well said, Astrogeologist and I agree with the above quote from your post. IMO, the way they wrote Carter in this arc is a disgrace and TPTB really should be ashamed of what they have done to what was once such a strong, intelligent, dignified, professional female lead character. My disappointment with the show is how they have damaged Carter to such a degree that criticisms now seem to outweigh other comments about the character. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, TPTB have also let the damage to the character seep into her professional life as well (see: the end of Affinity and Gemini as examples). It was bad enough they portrayed her as a "weak, foolish girl" in Chimera but at least it was somewhat focused on her personal life, once it started to creep into her professional life the character, IMO, was damaged ALMOST beyond repair.
                I think carter still is a great character, the writers just need to stop having her personal life being teh sole focus of an episode.

My one issue with Pete is that sam went from 'not dating' to intimacy in less than a month. Now i'm not making a statement on her choices, what i am saying is that it's just whammo, out of the blue.

in Grace, she has no one, then in death knell sam says that it's been a month since evolution...so she met and got quite close to pete in less than a month

Sam's jsut not like that. she's always been portrayed as a very methodical person. she's not been portrayed as spontaneous or anything like that

Pete would have been more believable had there at least been some mention of him, both before adn after the episode

right now, he's sort of like a cold sore....something that just pops up and surprises you, then disappears for a while

Just let sam be sam. Write this character who happens to be a female ratehr than this female who happens to be on the show

I do love seeing her fun side. I loved seeing her 'let her hair down' as it is. i think it was a great development and probably a side of her that the guys never get to see. Pete is just like Tealc's pity party in Orpheus....it woulda been more believable had it not just come out of nothing
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  I liked the softer side of Sam in Chimera a lot better than the professional, austere Sam in 2010... I like to see her more warm and human... Her 'softer side' came out so well in 'Singularity' with Cassie...and then a little of it in 'Learning Curve' with Merrin... after that they didn't give much more script or screen time to that facet of her character....
                  Originally posted by aeromathlete
                  That's one of the things I liked about Sam, too. Her ability to care about the kids who'd come into the show in their respective episodes.
                  Oh, me too! That cute little boy (Nox) from The Nox, Ry'ac, Cassie, the kid from Show and Tell, the girl from Learning Curve, Hailey (from Prodigy), the youngin's from Proving Ground, CloneJack from Fragile Balance, the little boy from Revisions, and Grace (from Grace). [...] I like seeing Sam interact with children.

Here's a few episode snapshots of Sam's natural 'softer side'

The first photo is Sam and Merrin in the 3rd season episode 'Learning Curve'
                  and the second and third photos are Sam and Cassie from the 1st season episode 'Singularity'

In 'Learning Curve' the interaction between Sam and Merrin is wonderful as Sam figures out how the reactor works and then explains to Merrin how rewarding it is to figure something out for yourself. This scene interwove Sam's interaction with the young Merrin and Sam's own child-like sparkle and delight when solving mental challenges on the frontiers of science... interpolating between ideas and then extrapolating beyond them.

In 'Singularity' the penultimate scenes are when Carter first tries to leave Cassie, but then just can't do it and she goes back down. AT's acting in these scenes should have garnered awards. The scenes later in the park, with Sam and Cassie on the bench, show a softer, gentler side of Sam Carter that rarely gets to show. But it's scenes like these that flesh out the character of Sam Carter and make her multi-dimensional beyond the proper military subordinate and/or simple science geek.
                  Last edited by astrogeologist; 12 January 2005, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Hi I'm enjoying reading a little varied comment about Sam.
                    Astrogeologist - I love all your little piccis - they're great - thanks!
                    In 2010 I don't think Sam was cold, she cried in the scene with Janet, was obviously upset at O'Neills attitude at the cabin. I her and Joe showed a very warm marriage after 10 years together esp when he was leaving to go through the gate near the start of the ep'.
                    What has perplexed me is the sudden change from how she has acted and dressed outside the SGC 1 to 6 than she does in season 7. I too like warm funny Sam, though I thought she was quite adorable as sensible Sam too and very funny in her own way - clock some of her expressions. I liked her dress sense in seasons 1 to 6 - thought it suited her character - and I liked her dress in 2010. Chimera she was just so different and I think she could play warm funny sam wearing her 1 to 6 clothing style and it be a less dramatic change.
                    Maybe I've got a beef because I'm not a girlie myself and don't wear dresses, but always feel very hurt if people percvieve me as being unfeminine - because I think what you are is not about what you wear - so I guess me reacting to her change is more my problem?!
                    I agree with all the other comments - they are all thoughful. I too want sam and jack together, but wouldn't be crushed if they were'nt - more peeved with the games beeing played by TPTB.
                    Lets hope the writers take not of all the comment re Sam's professional character. I also agree it would be nice to see more of the team ouitside the SGC. Even if it is them all together out for a meal!

Comment

Astrogeologist - I love all your little piccis - they're great - thanks!
                      Thanks - I love visual images! "A picture is worth a thousand words" - one of the tenants of my professional presentations.

I liked her dress in 2010.
                      I felt that the way that they all dressed in 2010 was a reflection of the controlled and restricted society that had been created with the Aschen... Everyone's (Sam, Janet, Daniel, etc.) attire was muted greens, greys and browns (at least that's what stuck in my memory). Very conservative.

I'm not a girlie myself and don't wear dresses
                      I don't dress 'girlie' either... no dresses (drives my dad nuts)... no pink... But then that stuff doesn't look good on me.. if it did...hmmmm.... I like the fact that Sam Carter can be totally professional in battlegear and yet can wear casual clothes (as in the park scene in Singularity) or a dress if she feel like it. That's what many women are striving for... the opportunity to choose. The freedom from stereotypes. And I really applaud the show for not writing Sam Carter as the female soldier who was the stereotypical tomboy who doesn't know how to enjoy being feminine.

Comment

hey guys I was thinking about this earlier (yes it did hurt) Sam is a really great human being. You knwo when everyone went crazy because she's let her post go or something in Hero's when Jack was hit? Well think about this? You're in battle? OKay *think hard* If you're best friend? (or the man you loved lets not get into this) Let's just say your best friend for arguments sake, your best friend who you've nown for 8 years grown to respect and really like is suddenly hit- you would be more than devatstated and if there was even a cahnce they were stil alive you would risk your life to save them- for me loyalty to freinds and general human nature comes before the rules always if it was save a friend and be court martialed or don't save a friend and have a great life? I know what I'd choose, I just think people are being way to hard on Sam, this is Sam the human being we're seeing she isn't wander woman she has problems just like everyone else is- we've seen Daniel and Teal'c cry- we've seen Jack comfort Daniel? We've seen the whole team pull together and help each other out so why should Sam eb any different? I think perhaps it's the fans who are making ahuge deal out of the fact that sam's a woman, when Daniel Cried and Sam hugged him or Jack hugged him no one accused him of being weak- why? cause he was a man? I don't know to ne honest with you. I just think some fans are accusing the writers of making it obvious that sam's a weak woman as far as I can see it's us who's doing that?

Comment

Vote for Sam!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=7601

Comment

Nice Posts, I love Sam, She's my favourite, I liked seeing that side of her, i would also like to see sam and jack together but i dont hate pete, i think he's good for her - to get rid of the "Black Widow Curse" and just for experience in a proper relationship.

Now about Death Knell - I always thought the reason they said only a month is because death Knell was supposed to be before Chimera. I remember seeing an episode schedule where chimera was after the Heroes two parter and before Resurrection in the Episode order, maybe they had to change it at the last minute and the shooting time was already over. I dont remember were i saw it but i also remember beeing in a forum and reading posts discussing the last minute change - and many complaining about. im pretty sure about this.

this is how i remember the originally planned schedule -
                            Grace, Fallout, Death Knell, Heroes two parter, Chimera, Ressurection, Inauguration, The Lost City,
                            That is why i never minded that line about it beeing only a month.

Comment

Right - got no idea how to insert a quote - apologies!!

Done my voting!

Conservative??!!.... mmm she says smiling to herself - that what all my friends say about my wardrobe. They've been trying to "sex me up" recently. I feel rather stupid in trendy jeans and top and think I may as well be wearing a banner which says sexy resistant!! Of course AT seems to be able to look sexy in anything!
                              Re your last para Astrogeologist - good point never thought of that - must think outside of my box!

Sam fan - I think everyones getting annoyed at quite a number of things the writers have put in the show. Not just one thing. In military terms she shouldn't leave her post in battle - I assume as she may be putting others at risk if she does. But yes you are right it probably does happen in practice!

Another piece of brilliant AT acting in "forever and a day" when she visits Daniel in the infirmary and is trying not to cry for him! In that ep I like her cloths she wore to Daniels apartment - long black leather coat, thought it suited her. She was conservatively dressed in that too!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.
                                I think my fave line when she was out there with Martouf was when she referred to schizophrenia in how it felt to have two sets of memories in her head at the same time. I remember the look on her face, the sound of her voice... just wonderful acting.
                                I remember this scene so vividly -- AT played it so exceptionally well, that it has stuck with me over the past six years. Once others on this thread commented on it so positively, I decided to go and make a few screen capture panels... of note, I'm not a Sam/Martouf shipper (no offense to anyone who is) - but this scene is still fantastic!

MARTOUF: Jolinar's host, Rosha, was very beautiful. She had eyes like the oceans of Marloon, hair was the colour of Abydos, and her smile was, was as infectious as laughter. In fact, Rosha looked very much like you Captain Carter. You are very beautiful. You'd make a lovely new host for Selmak.
                                Sam turns away.
                                MARTOUF: I'm sorry, I've said something to upset you.
                                SAM: No. Yes! It's difficult enough with just the remnants of Jolinar in here. The last thing I need is another person - symbiote - whatever.
                                Sam sits down on the edge of the ridge. Martouf stands a little way away.

MARTOUF: I didn't mean to upset you so.
                                Martouf walks over to Sam and crouches down next to her.
                                SAM: It's just the thought of going through that again.
                                MARTOUF: Don't give it another moment's thought. It was an inappropriate suggestion. Please understand that it came from a deep desire to have Jolinar back in my life in some form.
                                SAM: This must be what it feels like to be schizophrenic.
                                MARTOUF: What is schizophrenic?
                                SAM: It's a mental illness humans have. It's like a split personality. Two people in one brain. I mean, there's me, Samantha Carter, and then there's this leftover part of Jolinar that feels things like...

MARTOUF: Like...?
                                SAM: Like some pretty deep feelings for you.
                                MARTOUF: Jolinar left this imprint on your mind?
                                SAM: Yes.
                                MARTOUF: I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, but...
                                SAM: No! It's just... what you had, you and Jolinar, you were in love longer than I've been alive! Hell, longer than I will be alive!
                                MARTOUF: She left this feeling with you? You can feel how she felt for me?
                                SAM: Yes. And it's confusing the hell outta me.
                                MARTOUF: Why?
                                SAM: Because it's not just in my mind like a memory, I feel it. Like I've had this relationship with you for 100 years. I don't know if I can describe it with words. What Jolinar felt for you, I don't even think I'm capable of comprehending.
                                MARTOUF: Maybe there's another way you can communicate it. Perhaps in a way other than words.
                                They interlock their hands and then Daniel and some Tok'ra guys rush up.
                                This scene developed and showed important facets of Sam Carter's character and personality.

The transcript above is from The Stargate SG-1 Transcript Website episode 211 The Tokra Pt 1.
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 January 2005, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X