No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly Circular: I'm not a big fan of the AU Sams we've seen so far. Is it just me, or do they seem a little wimpy compared to "our" Sam? Maybe it's the hair.
    I think that's the whole point, we're not meant to like the alternate universe ones as much as the real Sam. And yes they are more wimpy, none of them joined the airforce! I am not against long hair, hey I have long hair, very long, but it doesn't seem to suit Sam, if you know what I mean?

Skydiver: my fave part about cold lazarus was the sam/daniel bit in the gateroom, where they get teal'c to fire off hsi staff weapon, then when hammond wonders what the hell is going on and alarms go off
    teal'c asks : surely you attained permission for me to fire my staff weapon (or something like that) and sam and daniel look guiltily at each other and go
    yeah, sure
    and both retreat quickly
    it's so cute and funny
    This is my very favourite part of that episode. It made them seem so young, almost like irresponsible teenagers.

As to everyone's comments on Janet--I cried sooooo hard in Heroes I have not forgotten about her, just haven't talked about her, mostly because she seemed to have just dissappeared off the face of the planet. She was one of those characters who didn't always do much, wasn't in every episode, but also had some major roles, and in her case saved a lot of lives, some more than once. Unfortunately, they haven't left themselves any leeway to ever find a feasible way to bring her back. Nobody will ever replace her, but I don't mind them bringing in new medics. It would just be nice if they could mention her once in a while.

I have never been to any cons. I know there was one here a long time ago when I was very little. I hope everyone who goes to one writes loooong posts about them for me to read.

I still can't get over how friendly everyone is in this thread. You guys are all starting to seem like friends to me now! Am I wrong or are there more 'Your worst episode", or 'What do you hate most about stargate sg1 or atlantis' threads on the forum lately? What is this? Ok, so not every episode of the series is perfect, so what!
    When I first started reading Gateworld, there were some interesting threads, and a thread titled "Sam's a great character - spoilers for *ALL* seasons", with seven pages of posts, but it seemed to be stuck permanantly on page 4 of the thread list. When I joined up, the Sam thread was just starting up again, and it seemed to be the obvious place to start posting, and I've barely gone anywhere since. I haven't even looked into the threads that I mentioned above, cause I don't want to. That's not the reason I'm here on this forum, to bash episodes of stargate.

MajorSam: I don't even know for sure what I want most... because last time I checked obsessing over Stargate don't pay the bills!
    It doesn't get study done either, but it's fun

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      you're not alone. Gabit is literally the ONLY con in my future. Gatecon is scheduled the only week i cant' get off, and i will not patronize Creation (anyway, i'd only consider going if amanda was there. I've seen MS twice, Cj once, DSD 4 times and....hey, you heard one story, you heard them all. sure ain't worth shelling out a ton of money to keep hearing the same stories over and over)

You might want to check out gatecon. Just because the 'big three' likely won't be there doesnt' mean it wont be fun. Sometimes the less popular actors are more fun and more accessible than the popular ones. Case in point, one year Corin bought the members of his fan club a drink, yet you can't get within 10 feet of MS or AT or CJ outside of the photo room
      Yes, I generally enjoy the little people (Colin especially, hehe) a ton, GateCon is during my summer training camp (6 weeks) Last year I made someone drive my best friend and I 7 hours to get me from training, 7 hours back to home, in the same day, arriving at 3'ish am, then taking me out to GateCon at about 7 something. Stayed there till...1:30am ish, went home, slept, up at 7 to catch a bus back 8 hours to training.

As much as I adore GateCon, I don't have all the money in the world, and don't think I should spend all that just for one day without my big people. If only Amanda came (out of "the big three") I would go, but not if only MS or CJ went. I'm definately an Amanda person, lol.

Plus I have...ways... of being able to get "within 10 feet" of them, lol, so that's not an issue.

Originally posted by deepspace
      As to everyone's comments on Janet--I cried sooooo hard in Heroes I have not forgotten about her, just haven't talked about her, mostly because she seemed to have just dissappeared off the face of the planet. She was one of those characters who didn't always do much, wasn't in every episode, but also had some major roles, and in her case saved a lot of lives, some more than once. Unfortunately, they haven't left themselves any leeway to ever find a feasible way to bring her back. Nobody will ever replace her, but I don't mind them bringing in new medics. It would just be nice if they could mention her once in a while.

It doesn't get study done either, but it's fun
      Yup, me too. My best friend and I came home from something important on the day it first came out to watch it during lunch break, and we were BAWLING our eyes out. the entire time. We have this whole thing, i'm Sam, and she's Janet, that's just the way it's always been... so yeah, definately high emotions from that ep!

and yes, fun fun
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

You might want to check out gatecon. Just because the 'big three' likely won't be there doesnt' mean it wont be fun. Sometimes the less popular actors are more fun and more accessible than the popular ones. Case in point, one year Corin bought the members of his fan club a drink, yet you can't get within 10 feet of MS or AT or CJ outside of the photo room
        I totally agree. Both times I've been to Gatecon I've found the less popular actors to be the most interesting and some of the kindest people that I've ever met. Brent Stait chatted to me loads in the photo room last year and was a really kind and funny man. John Novac came for a conversation. He's totally charming. Andrew Jackson chatted a lot and really cared about his fans as did Alex Zahara. Teryl Rothery's lovely and always takes the time to chat to her fans and even made an effort to come over and give me a hug when she passed me in the hallway. Corin Nemec chatted in the photo room. Dan Payne chatted in the photo room and Jason Schombing chatted in the halls. David Palffy and Dougie Arthurs brought us all water when we were queuing for photos. The bigger actors are all lovely people to meet and so funny and kind but for me it's the less known actors that make the conventions so great. You never know what to expect when you meet them but when you do you realise that theyr'e some of the lovliest people you could ever meet.

Lucy

Comment

there has been a lot of negativity lately. some of it, i think, stems from folks posting joe's answers over on the scifi board....where they are far less than nice.

I tried to play there, but the 100% unmoderated status meant that bullies and trolls ran the day, so i just stopped going.

Unfortunately, for our friendly nature, some of those folks have come over here. Not too much we can do about it but simply go about our business and, eventually, they'll find somewhere else to play

I mean, i do have some negative things to say abut the show and its characters and storylines...but i'm not going to spam the whole board with it either.

I like what we've created here with the sam thread. with all the sam bashing out there, its nice to have a place where we can talk about our girl without having to defend our every word and idea

so let's keep it going. What's your favorite sam moment in the show?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I like it when we get to see her sense of humour, like in Changeling when we see her teasing Teal'c at the start when they're both in the commisary and then in the infirmary. I can vaguely remember her teasing him saying he should try warm milk as he's not able to kelnoreem. I thought that was a really lovely moment because it shows how comfortable she is around the people she works with and the close relationships she has with them.

Comment

so let's keep it going. What's your favorite sam moment in the show?

Ooh, just one? That will take some hard thinking. Right now, I couldn't even narrow it down to one favorite moment per season. But your poll has been good in making me go back and recall some of them. Thank you again for posting it.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

Something interesting I noticed in Bloodlines was a bit of a role reversal between Sam and Daniel. After Jack orders them to return to the gate, Sam, who's usually by the book, is the one who decides to go exploring instead. Later, Sam speaks against killing the gouald larva, but Daniel shoots them anyway. There's also some good action Sam in the episode.

NC
                Is that the one where the Jaffa are chasing them and Sam throws the hand grenade, pretty close to where they are? Daniel says something like: "Well *that * was insane." A great look at "action Sam."

Comment

Have we yet talked about Sam pickin up the grenade launcher in "Forever in a Day" ???

Or a Sam Teal'c moment, in Space Race, when he's like "Samantha Carter has requested my assistance" or whateve and she's like "I did?" *Insert Teal'c look here* "Oh, right...Thank you..." *people walk away as Teal'c turns to Sam "I am in your debt" "Indeed!"

I love both those scenes so much!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Such fantastic posts and comments by everyone!

ok, so i see why some of these got lots of votes...but some got none...but sam was in them

anyone have any comments about the low vote getters?
                    Where I work we often run surveys where folks rank *every* choice… say for 21 choices (or episodes), then you rank each choice with a number from 1 to 21. Then they sum up the rankings from everyone for every choice and publish a summary ranking. When the polls (or surveys) are done that way, there are usually few choices that are left on the bottom with few votes. I don’t think we can run a poll that way on GW, however… and I also think that that kind of poll wouldn’t appeal to most fans (it’s a lot more work than just choosing your top 3!).

I think that the poll that you have set up is just right – folks get to choose their top 3 (so they don’t have to feel limited to just one choice) – and folks seem to be having fun with it.

You are right however, the episodes with only a few (or no) votes are not necessarily bad or poor episodes for featuring wonderful scenes for Sam!

such as Enemy Within, true, sam wasn't the focus, but she was an integral part of it. like when she tried to stop kawalsky and got taken hostage

the nox only got two votes,but i did like sam's scenes with nafreau and her part in the tussle with the jaffa

in brief candle she was also an integral paret of the team, even working to help fix jack

in bloodlines, well she was jsut kinda there. did you notice how the guys sorta gathered around teal'c when it was 'guy time' and sam was sorta left out?

in cor-ai, she and jack argued for teal'c, then got to go and shoot up jaffa

anyone have some other moments from the less popular sam eps??
                    Skydiver, great memory of such wonderful Sam moments and scenes!
                    Originally posted by Coley
                    Many thanks to all of you who posted about Tok'ra Pts 1 and 2 and Matter Of Time - I watched them last night and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Re Jacks snarkiness in MOT - to be fair to the chap he did look a little sheepish after biting her head off when they were with Teal'c in the infirmary, and Sam I'm sure picked up on it, though AT did an amazing job of expressing a little bit of that - but also the fact she was still a little cheesed at the snappiness of everyone. […] I also loved the scene with Teal'c in the tent - and had completely forgotton about that. So thanks to everyone for the reminder of great episodes to rewatch!!
                    Great observations Coley! Thanks for reminding me of those scenes and interactions.

Originally posted by Coley
                    Lots of interesting takes on the season 2 episodes, as usual I'm sat here nodding my head and smiling at stuff that I hadn't actually thought of, but agree with!! - If that makes sense?
                    I couldn’t agree with you more – that’s exactly what I find myself doing when I read everyone else’s observations (and everyone’s memories are *really* impressing me!)

Originally posted by lucylou
                    Amanda most deffinately was amazing in that episode where she found out that she couldn't have children. Her facial expression was heartbreaking and the way she delivered her lines was perfect.

I loved the scene in that episode where they were in the Aschen lab where Sam worked and were looking at birth statistics on the screen and discovered that the birth rate was really low. I loved their acting there. When Janet practically pleaded with Sam to turn what they had found off the screen it was just heartbreaking. The way Teryl delivered that line was so moving. It was like she was so pained to have in front of her what proved that the Aschen had an ulterior motive and something which made her realise she too had been affected by the Aschen and her chance of having children had been taken away by them. The two actresses always played off each other really well and had some beautiful scenes together. I loved that friendship in the show. Its something that I really miss now. Lucy
                    Oooo… I think that may deserve some screen caps when I get a chance.

Originally posted by MajorSam
                    Thank you so much, although I don't even know for sure what I want most...
                    because last time I checked obsessing over Stargate don't pay the bills!
                    LOL!

Comment

ok, so i see why some of these got lots of votes...but some got none...but sam was in them

anyone have any comments about the low vote getters?

such as Enemy Within, true, sam wasn't the focus, but she was an integral part of it. like when she tried to stop kawalsky and got taken hostage

the nox only got two votes,but i did like sam's scenes with nafreau and her part in the tussle with the jaffa

in brief candle she was also an integral paret of the team, even working to help fix jack

in bloodlines, well she was jsut kinda there. did you notice how the guys sorta gathered around teal'c when it was 'guy time' and sam was sorta left out?

in cor-ai, she and jack argued for teal'c, then got to go and shoot up jaffa

anyone have some other moments from the less popular sam eps??
                      Brief Candle--she kids Jack about that "special cake" a bit. And we see her refusal to give up on a scientific problem.

Enemy Within--that look she gives when Kennedy wants to experiment on Kowalsky--yeah, I think we've considered that.

Tin Man--where the Sams get going on the science of the situation

You can always count on a few good moments

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                        Have we yet talked about Sam pickin up the grenade launcher in "Forever in a Day" ???

Or a Sam Teal'c moment, in Space Race, when he's like "Samantha Carter has requested my assistance" or whateve and she's like "I did?" *Insert Teal'c look here* "Oh, right...Thank you..." *people walk away as Teal'c turns to Sam "I am in your debt" "Indeed!"

I love both those scenes so much!
                        oh, that's one reason i love space race.

yes, it was cheesy, but it was sam and sam and tealc' and they had some great moments

i love it and would like to think that sam is one of the few people who could tease a first prime and not only get away with it, get a smile out of it too
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

oh, that's one reason i love space race.

yes, it was cheesy, but it was sam and sam and tealc' and they had some great moments

i love it and would like to think that sam is one of the few people who could tease a first prime and not only get away with it, get a smile out of it too

yup yup definately! I love how she's like, the only one who can make Teal'c smiles. its just so....CUTE, whenever they have moments like that! I always think of him being almost like her teddy bear, lol. How she can make him happy, and he can make her happy. It's just such a beautiful friendship!!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Favourite Sam moment

Anytime she's in an action scene (FIAD when she blows up the Staff Weapon Emplacement with the AT-4 is one of my favourites. Its one of my rotating Sigs i think)
                            Anytime shes in the F-302's. She looks great in that funky G-Suit.
                            Anytime she's technobabbling. One of the reasons Carter's my fav char is that I like to know how stuff works, and so does Sam
                            Any scene with her and RepliCarter! AT does a great job of playing two diff chars at the same time. Looking forward to Moebius
                            Spoiler:
                            to see AT play nerdy Sam

Hell, I'll just say anytime Sam's on screen

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                              Amanda most deffinately was amazing in that episode where she found out that she couldn't have children. Her facial expression was heartbreaking and the way she delivered her lines was perfect.

I loved the scene in that episode where they were in the Aschen lab where Sam worked and were looking at birth statistics on the screen and discovered that the birth rate was really low. I loved their acting there. When Janet practically pleaded with Sam to turn what they had found off the screen it was just heartbreaking. The way Teryl delivered that line was so moving. It was like she was so pained to have in front of her what proved that the Aschen had an ulterior motive and something which made her realise she too had been affected by the Aschen and her chance of having children had been taken away by them.

The two actresses always played off each other really well and had some beautiful scenes together. I loved that friendship in the show. Its something that I really miss now.

Lucy
                              2010 is one of those eps I don't really enjoy watching. This version of their future is one I didn't like. Jack's estranged from everyone, Sam's married to a turn-coat (and not Jack! ), and everyone's lives were ruled by a race that wanted to wipe them out. I know, that was the basis of this story (show how horrible the future was by the hands of the Aschen), but I found the story depressing on many levels. And that EVERYONE died, and the last scene is of Sam being shot it the back and dying as she's dropping the note... just writing this down is making me see the scenes, and it's making me melancholy. I don't like death with any character I like, but *especially* Sam (and second Jack) because I love her! So that ep is basically a never-to-watch-again ep because of everything I stated above.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                2010 is one of those eps I don't really enjoy watching. This version of their future is one I didn't like. Jack's estranged from everyone, Sam's married to a turn-coat (and not Jack! ), and everyone's lives were ruled by a race that wanted to wipe them out. I know, that was the basis of this story (show how horrible the future was by the hands of the Aschen), but I found the story depressing on many levels. And that EVERYONE died, and the last scene is of Sam being shot it the back and dying as she's dropping the note... just writing this down is making me see the scenes, and it's making me melancholy. I don't like death with any character I like, but *especially* Sam (and second Jack) because I love her! So that ep is basically a never-to-watch-again ep because of everything I stated above.

Sally

I actually really love how they all died. It showed the extreme that everything had gotten to, as well as what they were willing to sacrifice in order to save everyone. I know they've all risked death for Earth before, but they can't always come back miraculously. I like how this shows them for once NOT coming back. It makes what they did all the more profound.

But then again I have a weird obsession with Sam torture and death (check out some of my upcoming fics, as well as Blackness )

I also love all the estrangement and everything. It shows a horrible way things could have ended, but once again, was over come by the sacrifice of these great people. It also shows the more gullible, flawed side of everyone, how they were all sucked in, and I like that. Especially with all the discussion's we've had on Sam facing her 'dark other side" and such.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Working...
                                X