Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam

Thanks so much for your words and wisdom Obviously, I’m back now, and all I can say is THANK THE LORD. Amen, sister - what an ordeal!

Seeing as I’m back, I’m available to swear in as the first Pres at any time We just may have to do this as a reward for your military weekend of hell!

This is a very OT post, but I just felt like telling some, and I repeat SOME of the happenings of my disastrous weekend!

I have some fabulous times realizing that the snow in some places goes up my entire leg, to my belly button, and I’m 5 foot 10 inches, so that’s something. My Lord ... you became a real-life Sam Carter snow woman!

So then my best friend is REALLY cold, and shaking. She has hypothermia! Did she ever watch Solitudes?!

... the tent and sleeping bag were my dad’s that he’d used for many decades, and he would have killed me if I lost something. Sounds like you almost lost your sanity!!

... another few hours of hiking! What a great way to lose weight and keep in shape!

After hours of confusion in the pouring rain later, we FINALLY got into the vehicles to go HOME! There is a God! And She finally smiled upon you!

... I finally got to SLEEP. First time in three days! What?! You didn't check out this thread first?!!

If anyone actually read this post, than I have to say I am NOT in the actual Canadian Forces, and this weekend does not reflect the Canadian Military at all! They are actually the most highly-trained soldiers in the world. Whew ... that's a relief (and I don't even live in Canada!) ...

Yup, so those were some of the things I did while you all have been posting like mad, so I’m going to now go and read over the last 7 pages of posts!!! Enjoy, but, in the meantime, why don't you write to Bridge Studios and apply for the role of Sam's stand-in? I think you've earned it!!
    Seriously, MajorSam, welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by CUL8TRJACK
      Well it's nice to see that GW is back up. I've spent the past two days watching audio commentaries. I love hearing all the cool tidbits the producers and directors give in these. I really wish they would finally release a bloopers video. It would be a blast to watch, and definitely worth the extra money to see it.

In the Rites of Passage commentary, Peter Deluise says that during the briefing room scene, where O’Neill is talking about magnets, there was like five minutes of AT just weeping with laughter before they finally got the scene taped.

I think it would be funny to hear about all the different adlib lines that were added into different episodes as well. My son and I like to go through the episodes and try to find places where we think lines have been an adlib based upon the reactions of the other characters. Like at the beginning of Demon’s, judging from AT’s reaction, we think that RDA’s Dr. Evil little pinkie pose may have been one.

AT has such an infectious smile that I truly love watching scenes like these.
      Totally agree with you!

TPTB are missing a great opportunity to make even more money off this franchise. I think, if they don't want to incorporate the bloopers into the audio commentaries, they should consider marketing a separate DVD Bloopers/Outtakes set from all eight seasons ... I know I would buy a boxed set like that. They could then have the cast/crew do commentaries about the bloopers, etc. The fans would totally enjoy something like this!

Comment

OK, now, I found it difficult to narrow my top Season 2 choices down to only three! I chose:

In The Line of Duty, Tokra, and A Matter of Time

In The Line of Duty
        Originally posted by Kes
        In the Line of Duty. Maybe Sam's best episode (to me). I loved the Jolinar arc and thought it introduced a whole new layer to Sam's character. The scene at the end - when she's laying in bed after Jolinar has died to save her. Just fabulous work from AT.
        Sam getting Goa'ulded! Wow! What a scene when her eyes glowed at the beginning! And the ramifications for her character development after that... just wonderful.

Tokra
        Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.
        Originally posted by majorsal
        I think my fave line when she was out there with Martouf was when she referred to schizophrenia in how it felt to have two sets of memories in her head at the same time. I remember the look on her face, the sound of her voice... just wonderful acting.
        . More screen caps with episode dialogue are in my earlier post

A Matter of Time
        Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Hehe, gotta vote for 'Matter of Time'. Not only does Sam save the world from being drawn into a black hole, but she also succesfully explains gate physics to Hammond with a Donut!
        Originally posted by majorsal
        This, to me, was the first time they *really* showcased just how smart Sam was. I felt this ep started a new theme/tradition for Sam. Sally

In the first image, Sam checks out the new gravity field at the event horizon.
        In the second image, Sam orders the iris closed... the incoming wormhole is pulling things through the wrong way!
        In the third image, Sam gives 'The Donut Explanation' to Hammond (just how does an astrophysicist explain black hole quantum physics to her superior officer?)... oh..and, blowing up the mountain is not going to solve the problem...
        --------------------------------------------------------------
        I chose Tokra, pt 1, because I couldn't choose both

I agree with Skydiver about Serpent's Song:
        Originally posted by Skydiver
        if i could have voted for another one, it would have been serpents song. i like the confrontation sam has with apophis, and dealing with jolinar...and the support she got from the guys when she did it
        I also liked Serpent's Lair
        Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        I think the moment that sticks in my mind most about Sam, is the scene from the Season 2 opener (Serpents Lair) where she's sitting in the Glider looking up at Earth. Great scene

Comment

my one quibble with matter of time...man they were so MEAN to sam in that one.

jack and his 'fix it', hammond mouthing off at her topside....it was grumpy at sam day at the sgc
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Thanks so much for your words and wisdom Obviously, I’m back now, and all I can say is THANK THE LORD. Amen, sister - what an ordeal!

Seeing as I’m back, I’m available to swear in as the first Pres at any time We just may have to do this as a reward for your military weekend of hell!

This is a very OT post, but I just felt like telling some, and I repeat SOME of the happenings of my disastrous weekend!

I have some fabulous times realizing that the snow in some places goes up my entire leg, to my belly button, and I’m 5 foot 10 inches, so that’s something. My Lord ... you became a real-life Sam Carter snow woman!

So then my best friend is REALLY cold, and shaking. She has hypothermia! Did she ever watch Solitudes?!

... the tent and sleeping bag were my dad’s that he’d used for many decades, and he would have killed me if I lost something. Sounds like you almost lost your sanity!!

... another few hours of hiking! What a great way to lose weight and keep in shape!

After hours of confusion in the pouring rain later, we FINALLY got into the vehicles to go HOME! There is a God! And She finally smiled upon you!

... I finally got to SLEEP. First time in three days! What?! You didn't check out this thread first?!!

If anyone actually read this post, than I have to say I am NOT in the actual Canadian Forces, and this weekend does not reflect the Canadian Military at all! They are actually the most highly-trained soldiers in the world. Whew ... that's a relief (and I don't even live in Canada!) ...

Yup, so those were some of the things I did while you all have been posting like mad, so I’m going to now go and read over the last 7 pages of posts!!! Enjoy, but, in the meantime, why don't you write to Bridge Studios and apply for the role of Sam's stand-in? I think you've earned it!! Seriously, MajorSam, welcome back!
            thanks so much for welcome back. you actually read my post! EEH!

Yay for being Sam-snow woman!

Yes, she has most definately seen Solitudes, 5 thousand times I mentioned it quite a few times. stupid things like "well at least we're not stuck with a non-working Stargate!"

Yes, sanity definately slipping even further...

One would think it's a great way to stay in shape and stuff, yes, but actually in my case, not. Or at least I don't think so... see the ration packs are made so that one can last an entire day. supossedly 3000 calories EACH!!! but that's if you eat/drink everything in it. Although I generally only had the main meals, I did eat the entire main meals... and one night I had two... so yeah, I don't know, hopefully the exercises are helping keeping in shape.

Yes, she definatly did finally smile down on me... *heavenly angel voices*

I did check out the thread! I spent a long time making up taht post and posting it and then waiting for replys but then having forums go down!!! Honestly, I didn't even change out of my borrowed clothes (remember all of mine were soaking wet. it's funny how I was in one of my CO's pants... ) before checking here!!!

Yes, I'm actually definately thinking of applying for something, ANYTHING, at Bridge Studios...

Once again, thanks for reading it and making comments and welcoming back
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Chocdoc: I think we did lose several posts.
              Skydiver: yes, we did. the last backup was done sometime monday, gw went down, was it mon or tue???? anyway, anything posted after the back up and before the outage is gone.
              Including the very long post I wrote about which season1 episodes I voted for. Seeing as the season1 poll is still up I’ll try to remember what I said.

I voted for Solitudes, Singularity, and Hathor.

Singularity, because I think it is the first time in the series that we truly get to see who Sam is as a person, outside of the scientist/USAF officer. I think I also liked this episode a lot more after I had seen the later episodes with Cassandra in them than I did at the time it first aired.

Solitudes, I loved this episode, and how much Sam had to do to keep them both alive. And when she climbs to the surface only to realise that they are probably on an ice planet with no civilisation or help anywhere to be seen, I thought that was acted just brilliantly. Rewriting this now I want to say thankyou to Astrogeologist for yet again providing screencaptures from another of my favourite eps.

Hathor, well, to tell you the truth, Hathor used to be my least favourite episode. Later on, when I realised that all goa’ulds have bad dress sense and tacky hairstyles, I didn’t mind it so much, and then I watched it for what it really was, a great episode showing some marvellous interaction between Sam and Janet. I also liked seeing Janet in combat mode versus Doc Frasier mode, not something that has ever happened much on the show. I also loved how for the first time we really got to see Sam ‘In charge’.

Now, the season2 poll is up!

I voted for In the Line of Duty, Tok’ra 1 and Tok’ra 2.

In the Line of Duty, cause it is one of my favourite episodes ever, let alone my favourite ep for season2. I have to say AT’s acting for this one was so good, I think even better than that for RC, and that is brilliant! My favourite scene in it though is at the very end, when she tells them that it gave up it’s life to save her. I remember when I watched that for the first time, it was just so amazing for me.

Tok’ra 1 and 2, for the plain reason that these along with In the Line of Duty were all together my favourite episodes for this season. To me they were like an extra extension of my favourite Jolinar episode.

If there had been an option to vote for four, I would have also added Matter of Time. We really got to see Sam the scientist in that one.

*quarter of an hour passes while I read through posts*

Oh gee, I’ve just now read through what everyone else said they voted for, and some of you have said almost identical things to what I’ve just written.

Now I want to say WOW to Major Sam. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!
              What an ordeal. And yes, I read your post…twice!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

MajorSam, thanks for your epic tale of adventure in the north! (or should I say misadventure?) It certainly made me appreciate my semi-warm little corner of the universe a lot more.

Anyway, welcome back!

NC

Comment

Astrogeologist, you're back, and giving us more fantastic screen caps!

Thank you!
                  Thank you!
                  Thank you!

Oh, and did I say thank you?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    Now I want to say WOW to Major Sam. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!
                    What an ordeal. And yes, I read your post…twice!
                    Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                    MajorSam, thanks for your epic tale of adventure in the north! (or should I say misadventure?) It certainly made me appreciate my semi-warm little corner of the universe a lot more.

Anyway, welcome back!

NC
                    Thank you so much to you guys who read my post as well *blush* I'm suprised and amazed that people actually would take the time to read (twice!? ) and comment on my little tale.

I just had an interesting experience. I was talking to my friend who's away on a trip right now, and I was telling her about something in this thread, and she was just like "uh...ok then...*smile and nod*"

I realized that in our little domain of Samanda, we all have something very special. I tried explaining it to my friend, but realized I couldn't. We all started/are starting off on the common base of admiring the character of Sam Carter and/or Amanda Tapping. But as we’ve discussed, analyzed, observed, etc. we’ve all, I think, grown a bond. We all understand each other, can totally play off other’s comments, we can put all our posts together to make the best, imo, thread on this forum. As well through all our posts and such we’ve grown to respect each other, in ways that are not common on the net. Or at least, I certainly respect everyone here!!!

We can disagree with others yet still maintain civility and even admire the poster more for the way they interpret a scene, or communicate their ideas. We’ve all, throughout the past 39 pages, revealed in various ways the way we think and see things, as well, in some cases, revealed things about our personal lives, which let our unique personalities shine through. It’s very interesting to observe how all these different people can come together and have a great time

SOOOO many places on the net are such harsh sticklers for rules, or only allow one mind-set. In this thread we have many people, (a growing amount, ) who all can contribute their ideas, yet still staying in the topic of the greater topic, Sam/Amanda. Of course we still sometimes get OT (My weekend post) and joke around and stuff, but that just makes the thread all the better, and more inviting

Like I said, I really do respect all of you guys so much here, and I hope one day to have the good fortune of meeting some of you, at Conventions, or otherwise!

Sorry if that all was mushy or over-philosophical, but it was just something that popped into my head!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

I just realized another post that dissapeared into the Void when GW went down...

one of my fan fics got NOMINATED FOR AN AWARD IN THE SJFA'S!!!!!! EEEEEH!!!!! I just only started posting my fics (after what, 6 years buliding up the nerve?) and the VERY first one I ever posted, it's been nominated!!!!! for "Most Outstanding Humour" award. (SJFA means Sam/Jack Fan Fiction Awards, if any of you don't know) and i'm SOOO proud that someone actually took the time to nominate me! *blushes self conciously* Actualy now when I read it over I wish I could change a bunch of it, but oh well, it got nominated!

I would be incredibly honoured/appreciative/grateful if any of you would be so interested as to read the story, and, maybe even VOTE for it! (shameless self promotion )

My great whopping TWO stories are on my website here: http://www.geocities.com/popcornsamo/P3X-717.html

more will be coming soon! (hint review them and sign my guestbook!!! )
                      Last edited by MajorSam; 05 February 2005, 02:52 PM.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Congrats Major Sam! I read the story and can see why it was nominated. Good job.

Oh, and I echo your comments on the nature of the people on this thread. It really is a friendly place where we don't all necessarily agree on everything, but we manage to keep things polite and respectful.

NC

Comment

First time posting to this thread...created a pic of Sam but could find no place to post...found this thread and because it had Sam's name in it... I hope you don't mind...

...I love Sam Carter. Being a retired USAF, it's great to see a female in the military portrayed with intelligence, spunk, energy, toughness, passion...I think you get my drift. Sam Carter is no wimp!

Amanda Tapping is an amazing actress and when I found this image...I just had to make this picture. (I read somewhere that AT's favorite color is orange.)

Comment

Hey Amber Moon, WElCOME!!! YAY FOR NEW PEOPLE!!! If you're a Sam/Amanda fan, which I can see you are, this is the perfect place for you.

AWESOME pic!!! Very very nicely done, and a great pic of her. Yes indeed, Orange is Amanda's fave colour!!! She says it's cheesy, but she thinks it's such a happy colour! haha, I agree.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Thanks MajorSam! As you can see I'm also a RDA/Jack Thunker by my sig..and if you check out the S&J Ship Family Thread, I post there sometimes too. Right now I'm trying to stay away from spoilers so I've been hanging out with RDA/Jack. The States is four eps behind and it totally blows...it's really hard not to read the spoilers but I'm doing pretty good so far.

If any one wants to borrow the picture...borrow away!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                                one of my fan fics got NOMINATED FOR AN AWARD IN THE SJFA'S!!!!!! EEEEEH!!!!! I just only started posting my fics (after what, 6 years buliding up the nerve?) and the VERY first one I ever posted, it's been nominated!!!!! for "Most Outstanding Humour" award.
                                congratuations.

I have some fic nominated too...and in the isis awards

Awards season can be so much fun
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X