Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    Hi Strix varia,

I'm afraid I am not adding any variety to the list, but I am another college professor.
    Well if that's the case then...I'm sorry...but you shall furthermore be banned from entering the fair kingdom of SAMANDA!!!!!!

Calling Royal Security!!! Agent Dark? Where are you???? We have a non-variety-adding Samandan to EJECT!!!!!!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      College professor... of choc?

Yes, I teach on the globalization of chocolate.

Actually, I am simply addicted to it.

Comment

Hey uber

have you thought what to use as a cover for the book?

If you haven't, do you think that the daffodil samanda picture might be nice?
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

congratulations to jackfan on post 7500!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Well if that's the case then...I'm sorry...but you shall furthermore be banned from entering the fair kingdom of SAMANDA!!!!!!

Calling Royal Security!!! Agent Dark? Where are you???? We have a non-variety-adding Samandan to EJECT!!!!!!!!

Oh no, please spare me from this unimaginable punishment, for it is worse than a painful death, I beg of thee. Have mercy on this poor soul. Whatever shall I do -- I cannot fandom, I mean fathom, being banned or, in your words, ejected from this fair queendom of Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i agree. the sam that let pete off the hook is not the sam who got in mckay's face over his em pulse generator, or who faced simmons down over the briefing room table, or who punched the guy in first commandment

the sam in chimera, to me, smacks more of a man's fantasy of a woman. gorgous, funny, sexy, mysterious, all forgiving
              Ah yes....but she didn't have feelings for the guy in First Commandment, McKay or Simmons (at least none that can be discussed without the use of four letter words).

IMHO, actually it shows Sam very much in character...as she is less than her kick-butt self when her personal feelings are involved. Consider as evidence EXHIBIT A: Sam, Jacob and Jack and the more than hilarious "Go pick flowers" scene from Threads or EXHIBIT B: that Lost City scene (and Threads scene, for that matter) when she visits Jack at his house and fumbles for words. Really insecure and unsure of herself.

But how great is that? Strong and confident on the battle field a la Avenger 2.0 when she cooly and calmly picked off countless Jaffa on her own but a complete mess when her emotions enter in. A great example is that scene from Threads showing how nervous she was before Pete showed up at the SGC. She was teetering back and forth and taking nervous deep breaths.

Now as for Chimera...I'm thinking she might have been a little more upset with Pete except for the fact that he almost died on her and then, well, didn't. THE CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW HAS BEEN LIFTED!!!!

And as for that infamous kiss in Affinity...well, not my favorite scene for a bunch of reasons...and I'll go with AT on this one: THAT was out of character for her to kiss him while working like that. Perhaps the writers were going for the fact that they wanted to show that she started to feel like "hey, since I can't have Jack, this guy'll make do..." because of her revelation of sorts when she saw how at ease he was with her work.

They, I think, wanted to show Sam trying to move on beyond her feelings for Jack...I just don't think they did a good job of it in either the Chimera or Affinity scenes with Pete. Now I've made the case elsewhere that Pete was the necessary result of the decisions she made in Grace...that she only wanted Jack because she couldn't have him, that she deserved better than being lonely and should find love with someone...and I think because she felt a connection to Pete, she glommed onto it and stubbornly refused to let go of it even as she realized bit by bit that she didn't just deserve to be happy with just a SOMEONE, but it had to be the someone she really loved. I think there was a watershed moment in Threads when Sam realized her feelings for Jack were real and that, although she liked him and was attracted to him, she was using Pete as a means to have "a life." I also personally believe that Sam was probably willing to make some pretty significant career decisions based on however her conversation with Jack went...but of course Kerry interrupted that little gem of a scene.

Again...I don't agree with all of her decisions and conclusions she made in Grace, Chimera and Affinity...but I understand them.

I know her insecurities tick some people off...but I find them kind of endearing and I can relate to that type of person: Strong and proficient professionally...but personally...not so much.

The thing I keep in mind is the Sam of Affinity and Chimera is the same Sam of Death Knell, It's Good to be King, Icon and Reckoning.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                In a very, very, tiny voice:
                Earlier on Coley posted a pic of herself. In the past astro, majorsam, sally, denise, and NC have posted pics also. I picked out some of me that I didn't need to call in majorsam's orangerator buddy to fix. However, I'm posting this hoping that only you guys will ever see these, and nobody else on Gateworld, so please, please do not post this anywhere here, ever. I'm purposefully doing this as a link so that the pics don't show up in this post.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y218/d...=deepspace.jpg
                you're beautiful.

thank you for sharing.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

If anyone is interested, Martin Gero is online right now.

Comment

Dumb question here...but when do we plan to start a Spankin' new thread??? 400 pages? 500???
                    you know, that's crossed my mind. should we?

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Okay...brace yourselves as I am in quite the mood.

I just read some material on a thread that will remain nameless (as I don't want to give it any publicity) that made my hair stand on end.

The basic idea was that Sam is somehow less of a character than she was a few years ago. Several adjectives were used to describe her and I will not post them because I find them not obscene, but offensive to me personally. Now I thought that the focus was to be about the dislike for Sam/Jack...which I can understand. Many people here don't go for that either (but I love ya anyway and will of course continue to work my EEEVILLL wiles on you until you SEE THE LIGHT!!! but I digress... ) but NONE of you resort to the kind of degradation of Sam like that particular thread.
                      I've been upset at that type of thinking ever since I read that some people think Sam was "stalking" Jack when she went over to his house ("Threads") to talk with him right before she found out Jacob was ill. This type of ludicrous thinking has to be coming from either 15-year-old boys who don't want to go steady or from people who don't like women in non-traditional roles. It's just closed-minded and small, and I don't think we should concern ourselves with it. We see Sam for who she is: a brilliant, talented, beautiful (on the inside and out) woman who is, behind all her other attributes, human. And humans.....even the best of them.....sometimes make errors. How else would they learn?

So three cheers for Sam: brilliant, talented, beautiful.....and the epitomy of the woman we all want to be! And three cheers to Uber for pointing out how badly others are mistreating her!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        OK, folks here's the latest updated version of the SaGC Collection for AT

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf
                        (recorded message: this is sally, who can NOT bestow green. please forgive)

WOW, astro!!!

i want to see amanda's face when she sees this gem. you're fabulous, woman!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

The thing I keep in mind is the Sam of Affinity and Chimera is the same Sam of Death Knell, It's Good to be King, Icon and Reckoning.
                          Yes, this I do keep in mind. I was trying to say this when I said that I look at the entire history of the character when interpreting a particular behavior or event, but you said it much better.

I still think that Sam was a bit out of character at the end of Chimera, but this is probably influenced by my strong disappointment that Sam's one romantic interest was not part of a larger scifi storyline. It just really bugs me that the writers could not have come up with a better love interest for Sam that makes sense for a larger more interesting scifi story (like Teal'c and Ishta and Daniel and Sarah). The pete storyline just seemd forced, and it continued to seem forced and awkward until it ended. I am thankful that it is over. I didn't mind a romantic interest for Sam at all -- but I think it should have been relevant to an interesting scifi arc in season seven and eight.

Sam clearly is more awkward and vulnerable when it comes to romance, and I do, in general, like this aspect of her. She also is completely clueless about how attractive she really is, and I like that about her too. Both of these things are believable to me. I just wish that would have made the Pete storyline relevant to the larger stargate storyline. Instead, they had to figure out a way for him to see something he shouldn't see (Osiris in this case), and the only way to do that was for Pete to follow Sam, showing that he did not trust her. Pete is probably for me one of the best examples of hurting a character for the sake of the plot.

Comment

what i attribute a lot of chimera to is that sam coming out of grace bound and determined to have a life. and she wasn't going to let anything get in the way of that

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Sam clearly is more awkward and vulnerable when it comes to romance, and I do, in general, like this aspect of her. She also is completely clueless about how attractive she really is, and I like that about her too. Both of these things are believable to me. I just wish that would have made the Pete storyline relevant to the larger stargate storyline. Instead, they had to figure out a way for him to see something he shouldn't see (Osiris in this case), and the only way to do that was for Pete to follow Sam, showing that he did not trust her. Pete is probably for me one of the best examples of hurting a character for the sake of the plot.
                              I agree with you there. The *idea* of Pete was one thing; the actual execution was something else indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

A fleeting thought.... If I were Amanda, I'd be interested in knowing a little bit about the people who produced this massive tome...

(snipped)

No clue: MajorSal, SamFan31, Agent Dark, Rogue, Gatebee, Matt G, AmberMoon, miscellaneous lurkers
                                i work at a restaurant, in management. (oh, wee)

what i WANT to be doing is going throught the stargate! since i don't have sam's knowledge/skills, i thought i could be the team's counselor. or hooker. whichever one works.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X