X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    OK, folks here's the latest updated version of the SaGC Collection for AT

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf

This time, it's a PDF file. Thanks to everyone for the suggestion. I took my Word doc file and used Adobe Acrobat to convert the file to pdf. Now it's only 25% of the size of the Word doc file... and none of the pics appear to have been lost in the uploading process... and I even got the hyperlinks to work (had to go to the Adobe conversion settings). Also cool - if you are in the Table of Contents and you click on a page number, it will jump you directly to that page! (Well, *I* think it's cool! )

So, I'm figuring that AT will ultimately get a printed and bound copy of the collection, the collection on CD, and deepspaces copy of the thread on CD.

For anyone who doesn't know what a PDF file is, it's an Adobe Acrobat file - and you only need Adobe Reader in order to be able to open and view the file. Adobe Reader is a free program - click here if you don't have it and want to download it.

PDF files allow folks to take documents created for printing and convert them for uploading to the web - without losing any formatting or page layouts (which are usually completely screwed up if the document is converted to html). So if you print a PDF file, it should print exactly as the author intended it to look on paper (standard html files rarely look nicely presented when printed).

It's also cool that the PDF file is only 25% of the Word document - because the original Word document was just over 21MB - and my webspace allocation is only 25MB... which meant that as the Collection grew - (and it's now at 25MB), I wasn't going to be able to post the updated versions for folks to view. But now that I can convert it to PDF for everyone to access from the web, the revised PDF file is only a little over 7MB... very cool!
    WOW! This is just superb! Thank you so much for doing this. You deserve some of the special blue jello for all your effort!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      A fleeting thought.... If I were Amanda, I'd be interested in knowing a little bit about the people who produced this massive tome...

Do you think a demographic survey would be in order? I'm thinking something along the lines of letting AT know that we aren't all just a bunch of raving whackos. Although, based on the quality of the book, perhaps that will be self-evident?

Anyway, I personally find the composition of those actively posting on the list to be rather fascinating.

Teachers (college professors, K-12): Astrogeologist, ChopinGal, jckfan55, tsaxlady, NearlyCircular, dipsofjazz
      Students: deepspace, Charlie, Aeromathlete
      Editors: Carterslave, Strix varia (collectively known as the Sam/Jan fan contingent)
      Accountants: Coley, ChevronSeven
      Webdesigner/graphic artist: UberSG-1Fan
      Media Production Assistant: Skydiver
      Home school mom: ForeverSG-1
      Media Relations: sg-1fanintn
      Actress/Soldier: MajorSam
      Registered Nurse/Education: pittsburghgirl
      Telephony/Computer Support: 1speed4Sam
      Museum Assistant: Tara3583
      Other professionals: Lida (psychology?), Tok'ra Hostess (has clients), ????

No clue: MajorSal, SamFan31, Agent Dark, Rogue, Gatebee, Matt G, AmberMoon, miscellaneous lurkers

Representing 3 continents (North America, Europe, and Australia)

Spanning in age from teens to.... how old *is* our wise elder?

The majority of whom are female...(grand exceptions that I know of: AD, Carterslave, and 1speed... Matt G???)

Who/what am I leaving out?

I hope noone is offended by this, particulary if I've categorized someone improperly. I'm doing this mostly from swiss-cheese-like memory. It is interesting to me, though... I've been going through past messages looking for photo captions, but I'm reading a bunch of posts, clicking on people's profiles, etc., just getting a feel for the list as a whole. What a cool group of people!
      A cool group of people indeed! Isn't it wonderful how a love of Amanda/Sam has brought together such a diverse group of people from all around the world?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        OMG, Sam/Leather! My OTP! (along with Sam/P-90, Sam/Astrophysics and Sam/Blue Jello )

I get up in the morning, check the forums and see this collage at the top of the page. I love this thread!

*drools*
        I thought I was the only one who thought Sam had the BEST leather jackets!!!! She has worn so many fantastic ones, I can't even name a favorite. Thanks for the GREAT pics!!!!!

On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

A fleeting thought.... If I were Amanda, I'd be interested in knowing a little bit about the people who produced this massive tome...

Do you think a demographic survey would be in order? I'm thinking something along the lines of letting AT know that we aren't all just a bunch of raving whackos. Although, based on the quality of the book, perhaps that will be self-evident?

Anyway, I personally find the composition of those actively posting on the list to be rather fascinating.

Teachers (college professors, K-12): Astrogeologist, ChopinGal, jckfan55, tsaxlady, NearlyCircular, dipsofjazz
          Editors: Carterslave, Strix varia (collectively known as the Sam/Jan fan contingent)

No clue: MajorSal, SamFan31, Agent Dark, Rogue, Gatebee, Matt G, AmberMoon, miscellaneous lurkers

The majority of whom are female...(grand exceptions that I know of: AD, Carterslave, and 1speed... Matt G???)

I hope noone is offended by this, particulary if I've categorized someone improperly. I'm doing this mostly from swiss-cheese-like memory. It is interesting to me, though... I've been going through past messages looking for photo captions, but I'm reading a bunch of posts, clicking on people's profiles, etc., just getting a feel for the list as a whole. What a cool group of people!
          You are so right, this is an amazing group of people. For the record, I'm not a psychologist, I'm a physician, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry (you were really close )

I also have a question, I can't seem to dl the "massive tome". I have Adobe, but whenever I try to dl from the link, nothing happens....any suggestions. You all have worked so hard on this, I really want to see and read it!

I will appreciate GREATLY any suggestions......my pc has not been very nice to me lately.
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            OK, folks here's the latest updated version of the SaGC Collection for AT

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf
            Finally got round to checking out the Collection (now it'll actually fit through the hole in our departmental hedge).

Once again, I'm lost for words!!!

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Ooh ... from Tantalus?! ... as long as we all don't fall into the sea! I was picturing Samanda somewhere in a sunny meadow ... any pics of kingdoms like that from the episodes?
              Not sure if someone else already posted a pic and I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toe. I just got to thinking after I read this post and started playing a bit.

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 17 May 2005, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                various housecleaning things

first of all, we can start a new thread whenever you want to

one advantage to starting new every once in a while, when the server crashed a couple of times ago, a lot of posts were lost in teh big threads, the sam and jack and the jack drool i think

if we close this one and start fresh, then these posts will be archived and should always be preserved (bearing in mind that always is a relative term)

i can do it whenever folks want
                I'm just the Royal Photographer...but I vote YEA. Just remember when the new one is started...WHOEVER STARTS IT...to use the Sam icon for the first message...
                Originally posted by Skydiver
                second of all

guys, there are folks out there that, if sam were killed off and written out would complain that she got too much time and died in a bad way and moan that she got too much air time dying when it would have been better spent showing how her dying effected her teammates

there are people who hate sam adn will complain no matter what she does.

she saves the day, she's a mary sue and should be off the show

she doesn't know the answer, she's a waste of space and should be off teh show

just ignore them. that's what i do

let them spew their vile and hate and nastiness because that's all they're known for.

we, on the other hand, can just concentrate on taking care of our girl here and let them wallow in thier ickyness
                I agree...they are icky. However, I was in the mood to be icked so I could give my impassioned review of Zero Hour and Gemini and I made some pretty salient points IMHO...plus I had pictures!!! (well I am the Royal Photographer).

What did you think of what I wrote?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                  When I am not playing on GW, I am a software programmer.
                  I am indeed a homeschool mom, and my educational background is in computer programming as well. Though I have to admit, the only programming I have done in many years had been for a free online MUD( multi user dungeon ...better known to some as an role-playing game). I was the bug fixer.

Kat

Comment

Confession time... Data Administrator/Database Designer – recently retired from the work force and devoting lots of my newfound free time to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Not sure if someone else already posted a pic and I'm hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toe. I just got to thinking after I read this post and started playing a bit.

Oh, yes! What a beautiful place. It has such a feeling of harmony. And I love the foreground.

Comment

i think you made some great points uber

can't promise that the'll even listen to you

but you expressed yourself quite well
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This is exactly how I see the kingdom. Wonderful!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                            You are so right, this is an amazing group of people. For the record, I'm not a psychologist, I'm a physician, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry (you were really close )
                            The "driving people sane" was my clue.

I also have a question, I can't seem to dl the "massive tome". I have Adobe, but whenever I try to dl from the link, nothing happens....any suggestions. You all have worked so hard on this, I really want to see and read it!

I will appreciate GREATLY any suggestions......my pc has not been very nice to me lately.
                            I'm afraid somebody more computer literate than me will have to help you out there.

My LJ

Comment

Software Programmer: Rogue
                              Homeschool mom (and computer programmer): ForeverSG-1
                              Registered Nurse/Educator: pittsburghgirl
                              Retired Data Administrator/Database Designer: SamFan31
                              Doctor of Internal Medicine and Psychiatry: Lida
                              Other professionals: Tok'ra Hostess (has clients), ????

No clue: MajorSal, Agent Dark, Gatebee, Matt G, AmberMoon, miscellaneous lurkers

Wow, Strix, we've been thinking along the same lines. As I've been thinking about a message to include in the collection, I keep coming back to what a diverse group this is, and how we're from all over the world, literally. I thought it might be fun to include a map indicating our locations. I found a great map of the earth from space at night, and I put on blue jello icons for some of the locations I already know, just to give you an example.

I'm linking to the map, instead of posting it, because it's too wide to fit into the thread. The original image is even bigger, so we could include a little more detail if we want. Samandans acrosss the world

I'm sure some of the photo-shop pros could do a much better job, and if they want to take over, that's fine, I'll be happy to send you the map or let you come up with a different one. I know people may not want to give out their specific locations online, but something like southwest US or central Australia would be plenty good enough. And of course anyone who doesn't want to be included wouldn't have to be.

NC(admitting to being not all that elderly at age 51 and certainly not as wise as I'd like to be )

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                Wow, Strix, we've been thinking along the same lines. As I've been thinking about a message to include in the collection, I keep coming back to what a diverse group this is, and how we're from all over the world, literally. I thought it might be fun to include a map indicating our locations. I found a great map of the earth from space at night, and I put on blue jello icons for some of the locations I already know, just to give you an example.

I'm linking to the map, instead of posting it, because it's too wide to fit into the thread. The original image is even bigger, so we could include a little more detail if we want. Samandans acrosss the world

I'm sure some of the photo-shop pros could do a much better job, and if they want to take over, that's fine, I'll be happy to send you the map or let you come up with a different one. I know people may not want to give out their specific locations online, but something like southwest US or central Australia would be plenty good enough. And of course anyone who doesn't want to be included wouldn't have to be.

NC(admitting to being not all that elderly at age 51 and certainly not as wise as I'd like to be )
                                This is awesome! (I had that pic set as my wallpaper for a while, or at least one very similar). I love the cups of blue jello. Very fun!

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X