Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    My top Carter episodes are Singularity, Solitudes, and Enigma.

I really do like Sam in Hathor too, but I could only pick three! I actually like her in Fire and Water too, oh and a few others. Season 1 is a good season for Sam!

I chose Singularity because we see Sam's compassion and strength in this one. This is one of the few episodes that brings tears to my eyes. The elevator scene going down, and going up, and the last scenes with Cassie were incredible. She had a hunch that Cassie would not die, but she took an enormous risk by staying with her. But Sam would do this---she would sacrifice herself in this situation. I also like Sam's expression of anger in this one. AT played a range of emotions so well.

I chose Solitudes because Sam expresses fear and resolve at the same time. She is frightfully aware of the dire situation and she is worried!, yet at the same time she shows utter determination to get them out of there. She doesn't quit. She is also tender to Jack when she pretends to be Sara near the end with "I'm here, Jack."

I also chose Enigma because Sam shows how unassuming she really is---She has no clue about how attractive she is, and I like that characteristic. I like her comment to Narim: "oh, You'll forget about me in a heartbeat."
    Hi Choc

Great critique - succinct and insightful. You've brought out some personality traits in Sam that we all admire.

BTW, you are right! I also inhabit the halls of academia, and actually need to get off this Forum and prepare a lecture for this week's class!! This thread is addictive! PS AstroG is a pretty awesome teacher too. I have a feeling that there are a few of us lurking about ....

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      As we begin to talk about our favorite S1 episodes, I'm remembering some of the AT articles I've read in which she pokes fun at herself for being such a "klutz" or "spaz" at playing Sam Carter (e.g., running, reloading and handling her gun, attempting stunts that end up hurting her, etc. etc.)

So, why don't we start thinking about/sharing some Carter moments that may have not been all they seemed to be behind the scenes!

Let me begin with Solitudes where we see, onscreen, the tremendous physical efforts of climbing and falling back down that Sam had to do. My understanding is that AT gave 110% on this and insisted on doing most of the stunts herself. And then add the sub-zero temps the actors had to work in.

Here's a direct quote by Amanda taken from Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2, by Thomasina Gibson: "They literally plonked me on this icefield, and then the helicopter flew up further away so they could shoot a long lens whilst I crawled into a crevasse and crawled out again ... it was freezing cold and I got really wet, and then had a 45-minute ride back in the helicopter, but I just remember thinking that I was so lucky ... I was hiding in this crevasse with my arms sticking out, but I was perched on one foot on a tiny ice ledge, and could have slipped ... it was seriously scary. You could hear the ice moaning and groaning - but what an experience, eh?"

And, of course, most of us know that she did, indeed, sustain a concussion when Kawalsky threw her back against the side of the elevator in the early SG1 episode, The Enemy Within.

AT has also shared that she trained for days to master the fight scene at the end of Emancipation which was so impressive. LOL It seems that AT's being the only lead female in the cast brought out a lot of her own spunk which she transferred into Carter from the very beginning.

I also read that she nearly drowned doing the water-rising scene with RDA in Descent. Here's what she had to say about that (Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 5/6, by Thomasina Gibson) ... again, Amanda's own words:

"The scene called for us to be surrounded by rising water, and we had to find an air pocket .... The idea was for us to stick our heads up and breathe, but what I kept forgetting to do was tilt my head all the way back. So I'd feel the water just above my nose and I'd open my mouth to take a breath and I'd choke. It happened about three times in a row! .... I was so completely embarrassed. But it works in the scene, because when the water lowers and it looks like I'm choking, I was, in actual fact, choking ..."

I believe, after several seasons, TPTB have finally given Amanda stunt pay!

She certainly is not a prima donna and is definitely a good sport!

Now it's your turn. Share something you've read or know about a scene or episode where AT did her own stunts which may then have had unexpected consequences.
      Thanks for the info about the filming of the scene on the ice field in Solitudes (it's so hard to tell what is computer graphics and what is real anymore). I am greatly impressed that they flew out to a glacier for that scene! I hadn't run across an interview or such that spoke about that. Very interesting learning what AT went through for that one scene. And I love how she saw the upside of it at the same time she was freezing and hanging on in the crevasse - "but what an experience, eh?"

Here's a quote that shows AT's self-effacing qualities and ability to laugh at herself
      Originally posted by majorsal
      Quoting Amanda from her recent interview in TV Zone issue 61: Another challenge was doing long wordy scenes opposite myself, and I'm so hard to work with. I mean, what a pain in the ass. I had fun, but it was a tough shoot." [talking about shooting Gemini]
      Now, to add my bit to this discussion of AT 'filming moments'... During the filming of 'Smoke and Mirrors', AT and Peter Flemming (Agent Malcolm Barrett) run out of the house that is wired to explode... as it explodes they have to jump away and land on the ground. AT said that she kept jumping and then instinctively rolling (sort of gymnastically, I believe is how she put it)... but that they wanted the two actors to just jump and land flat (I think there was a pad to land on), but AT couldn't do it...she kept automatically reacting to the landing and had trouble just flopping down.

When they finally got the scene filmed... and AT had 'flopped' on the ground, she said her gun cracked her solidly in the face as she landed.. and she felt something wet on her face... thinking she may have given herself a bloody nose, she took a look at the wet fluid... only to see that it was clear... and not blood, but just snot! Not many folks (let alone actors) are willing to tell stories about themselves like that.

Being able to laugh at oneself... not taking oneself too seriously -- all wonderful attributes - and I think AT brings these characteristics into the character of Sam Carter.
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 11 March 2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

When they finally got the scene filmed... and AT had 'flopped' on the ground, she said her gun cracked her solidly in the face as she landed.. and she felt something wet on her face... thinking she may have given herself a bloody nose, she took a look at the wet fluid... only to see that it was clear... and not blood, but just snot! Not many folks (let alone actors) are willing to tell stories about themselves like that.
        OMG, that's so funny!

Yes, I thought it was so unnatural, having them flop down on the ground after taking such a huge (impossible) leap. Especially with Sam landing on her back with the weight of a man on top of her. Sheesh!
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

And, of course, most of us know that she did, indeed, sustain a concussion when Kawalsky threw her back against the side of the elevator in the early SG1 episode, The Enemy Within.
          Ouch! I didn't know that one! Do they talk about this scene (and the concussion) in the Illustrated Companion for Seasons 1 and 2?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            Ouch! I didn't know that one! Do they talk about this scene (and the concussion) in the Illustrated Companion for Seasons 1 and 2?
            Hi Astro

No, they don't address it in the book; I think it's part of one of the AT interviews/transcripts that Kamil has posted at her website, www.amandatapping.com

I believe that she said it was one of the first big stunts she asked to do. At the time they filmed the elevator scene, Dan Shea (Siler), the stunt coordinator, was not on the set. And Amanda actually did get knocked unconscious during the filming. She says as much - that when you see her lying there out cold, she really *is* lying there out cold. It was from then on that Dan Shea kept telling her she really should use her double. Go watch that scene again on DVD and you will see how forceful a hit she took - Jay Acavone really roughed her up. It probably helped that she had three brothers growing up!

And, in Emancipation, she took special pleasure in learning the fight scene just to get even. Here are Amanda's words from The Illustrated Companion:

"... none of us really liked the episode, I was feeling a little off base with it. Although I did enjoy doing the fight sequence, especially working with the stunt coordinator for three days to get it right.... The Mongol warrior who ends up buying my character was very tough. He had my throat in a really tight grip and grabbed my hair right back, but then we had the fight sequence so I got my revenge."

Great stories that make me admire her even more.
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 January 2005, 11:37 AM.

Comment

About my poll choices:

Yes, yes <grumbles> even though I hate polls and generally avoid them entirely I did my Sam-triotic duty and voted....

I voted for First Commandment, Singularity and Solitudes....

<scratches head> at least, I think it was them....

I kept changeing my vote.

Anyways, S and S pretty much need no explaination. I finally chose First Commandement because Sam failed. I mean she really blew it. Sorry, can't help myself; nothing enriches a character for me like a good failure.

But before we get to that, I saw strong Sam, who stood up to her commanding officer. She wasn't going to let Jack treat her with kid gloves, sending her back to the SGC, out of physical and emotional harm's way. And she wasn't going to let him go into this tricky situation without backup. She knew how Jonah thinks.

I liked the way she, at first, when she declined his order, wouldn't meet her CO's eyes, but, then as her resolve grew, she looked right at him.(Okay, just going from memory, here, but I recall the scene this way.) AT is terrific at these subtleties.

Then, nothing worked out the way Sam planned it. She was too emotionally involved to do what she had to do, and in the end Jonah died anyway. And then that look on her face, when Jonah was executed by his slaves, that last, hard look. <shivers>

And there was closure: Jack didn't tell her that it wasn't her fault that things went sour, but rather, that she was right to not bring herself down to Jonah's (Jack's?) level, and kill in cold blood, even for a good cause. Yet she still came away from that talk feeling (looking) guilty and even unsure of herself. Very believable.

So, for me, as far as character development goes, FC was an excellent Sam episode.
              Gracie

Comment

Hi Astro

And, in Emancipation, I remember her saying that the actor who played Turghan was very rough with her in the tent scene, and she took special pleasure in learning the fight scene just to get even!
                Ugh! Yes, that scene where Turghan grabs her by the hair is just painful to watch. I don't know how he couldn't have hurt her.

I soooo cheered when she whooped his *ss!

About her stunts in Singularity. Does anyone know if it was AT or her double who, when she came back from the surface, had to slide and bounce down the ice. That looked painful!

And didn't AT say she hurt herself one of the times she slide off from where the DHD was?
                Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  About my poll choices:

Yes, yes <grumbles> even though I hate polls and generally avoid them entirely I did my Sam-triotic duty and voted....

I voted for First Commandment, Singularity and Solitudes....

<scratches head> at least, I think it was them....

I kept changeing my vote.

Anyways, S and S pretty much need no explaination. I finally chose First Commandement because Sam failed. I mean she really blew it. Sorry, can't help myself; nothing enriches a character for me like a good failure.

But before we get to that, I saw strong Sam, who stood up to her commanding officer. She wasn't going to let Jack treat her with kid gloves, sending her back to the SGC, out of physical and emotional harm's way. And she wasn't going to let him go into this tricky situation without backup. She knew how Jonah thinks.

I liked the way she, at first, when she declined his order, wouldn't meet her CO's eyes, but, then as her resolve grew, she looked right at him.(Okay, just going from memory, here, but I recall the scene this way.) AT is terrific at these subtleties.

Then, nothing worked out the way Sam planned it. She was too emotionally involved to do what she had to do, and in the end Jonah died anyway. And then that look on her face, when Jonah was executed by his slaves, that last, hard look. <shivers>

And there was closure: Jack didn't tell her that it wasn't her fault that things went sour, but rather, that she was right to not bring herself down to Jonah's (Jack's?) level, and kill in cold blood, even for a good cause. Yet she still came away from that talk feeling (looking) guilty and even unsure of herself. Very believable.

So, for me, as far as character development goes, FC was an excellent Sam episode.
                  You make a really persuasive argument for First Commandment. I can see that Red Sky and Gemini are right in your ballpark too! And even Death Knell, in a way.

Yes, I love when Sam does stand up to Jack - in FC and in Singularity when she refuses to give Cassie to him and, then, when she refuses to return to the surface.

See?! Aren't polls fun?!! I'm glad you did your Sam-triotic duty! LOL

Comment

... Does anyone know if it was AT or her double who, when she came back from the surface, had to slide and bounce down the ice. That looked painful!

And didn't AT say she hurt herself one of the times she slide off from where the DHD was?
                    In Solitudes, I believe she really was doing most of those falls herself. She talks about being completely bruised but also exhilarated from the challenge and experience. I think you'll find her referencing this on one of the DVDs from the boxed sets, or on one of the Lowdowns. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Comment

About my poll choices:

I finally chose First Commandement because Sam failed. I mean she really blew it. Sorry, can't help myself; nothing enriches a character for me like a good failure.

Good point about Jack's response to her actions(or lack them.) I'd forgotten about that scene. It's just what I would want a mentor or senior officer to do. Don't excuse the the bad decisions, or dwell on them, but point out how you can learn from them. How many of those mentoring moments have we seen in the series?

Comment

Just read the review of Gemini on the home page and I feel compelled to take issue with the comment there that AT slipped into "Sam" mode a couple of times when playing RC. I really didn't see that. My perspective was that any Sam mannerisms, for example, that we saw were due to the fact that RC was programmed from the original Sam and that RC was smart enough to want to appear as much llike the original as possible in order to manipulate her. To this viewer, they were very distinct characters.

Comment

Another stunt-type anecdote about Amanda is from Avenger 2.0. On the DVD commentary, she jokes about the difficulties she had reloading the new gun she was working with, "the Carter special". She says she just should have given up and thrown the bullets. She also talks about how she kept knocking over the fake walls everytime she stood up.

I see that astrogeologist already mentioned the explosion scene from Smoke and Mirrors. There's an article in the seasons 5-6 Illustrated Companion titled Diary of a would-be Stuntwoman by Amanda, which refers to the scene, and it's pretty funny.

It's refreshing to hear an actress willing to poke fun at herself. I think she refers to Carter as Stargate Barbie when she goes into combat mode.

BTW, I'm a teacher, too, and should be writing an exam now, but this is way more fun!
                          Last edited by NearlyCircular; 30 January 2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

what happened in enemy within is that Jay was supposed to 'throw' sam towards the back of the elevator. Amanda knew this, but when the time came, she threw herself back at the same time he pushed her back so, with the force of two people, she whacked her head on the wall

now i THINK the next scene she taped was the briefing room scene and if you watch really close, you see rda/jack reaching out to touch her arm in a bit of a 'you ok?' move
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have been away for a week and there are so many great new pages here to read. I'm only halfway! Meanwhile I just wanted to let you all know I'm back and happy to see my favourite thread going so strong.

I also want to say thanks for the rep points and nice comments that some of you have given me already, even though I haven’t been here long.

Coley: Re Sams Cloths - Thanks to astogeologist and Deepspace - what lovely, thoughtful and intelligent posts thanks 2u both for expanding my periphery. And everone else - Chopingal et al - some wonderful comments coming out - dare I say it I'm slowly changing my opinion - or at least agreeing with other perspectives!!
                              Did someone just say I was thoughtful and intelligent? *blushes*
                              Actually, looking at that post I did now a week later I actually sound too critical of Sam’s clothing. Oh well.

I'm off to catch up on some more so that I can actually post about something that you've all been talking about!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                what happened in enemy within is that Jay was supposed to 'throw' sam towards the back of the elevator. Amanda knew this, but when the time came, she threw herself back at the same time he pushed her back so, with the force of two people, she whacked her head on the wall
                                I had heard about this some time ago and went back to watch that scene. Maybe it's knowing what to look for, but she seems to go down like the proverbial ton of bricks in that scene--not the graceful, dramatic fall we often see when someone is supposed to be knocked unconscious. Yow! I cringe in sympathy when I see that scene now.

I should get back off this addictive thread too! I have my ducks in a row for classes tomorrow, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X