• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Mother's Day!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Astro, you're amazing! Where do you find the time to do all this? No term papers to correct?! hehehehe

Thanks so much!
      Nope, not correcting term papers today - have been completely immersed in Royal Archiving - both for the SaGC/Court of Samanda, as well as for my own computers... have been running virusscans on various computers and backup drives... as well as backing-up huge amounts of data (on the order of 40Gigs everytime I tell the computer to 'copy'!). And almost screwed up 'Gemini-scale'... well, actually, I *did* screw up *Gemini-scale* - but I was lucky... there's this little Recycle Bin protection that saved my petrified touchee! ...I dragged the wrong folder into the recycle bin... over 40Gigs- of the most recent files the files for my newly created online couse... the newly archived files for the new online course... *all* of my Stargate screen caps... my Sam-webpages.... ....had heart palpitations... black thoughts descended... I thought it was *gone*.... but then... the Recycle Bin let me restore it! 'Whew'!!!... Still can't believe that it's not all 'toast'!

So I am now (more) carefully backing things up before I begin any more deletions... sigh... this is taking forever... I have two computers and 3 backup/external harddrives to deal with...and it's a shell game of backups.

So... the SaGC has been a wonderful place to play today... while one computer is busy I play on the other . Hmmm... what were folks saying about all those computers in Sam's house?
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 08 May 2005, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Here's a great website to check out for Sam-fans

The Sam Friendly Zone by Skydiver, Jara Dax, Splash_the_cat and others

Lots of great Sam Friendly banners.. like these:

Yeah, I have a banner on my fanfic site, but several people have told me I need to put a disclaimer underneath it since since I whump Sam so badly in my stories....

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Yeah, I have a banner on my fanfic site, but several people have told me I need to put a disclaimer underneath it since since I whump Sam so badly in my stories....
          LOL, Strix! I think your Sam-whumping *is* Sam friendly... she's the main protagonist and hero of your stories... and you allow her to come out strong in the end... I'd say that's very Sam friendly! If you write a story where she dies - and stays dead - or a fic where she's whiny, pathetic... or just *not* our Sam... then the Sam Friendly banner wouldn't be so appropriate....

Banner by Mexx

Comment

As long as its not hateful whumping its ok!

Originally posted by Strix Varia
            It is possible to save each page (with multiple posts) as an htm file. These could be burned to a CD. Of course, someone would have to burn 334 files at this point in order to get them all, which could be quite time consuming...
            lol it wouldn't take that long at all, but it wouldn't be very effective as links to the next pages would still be pointing at gateworld.net rather than the local files. Plus it wouldn't have all the latest posts in it. Much easier to send a link (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=6913) through an email or something.

Comment

If you write a story where she dies - and stays dead -
              I don't actually have that much of a problem with Sam dying in a fanfic - as long as its well written and stays true to her character. Like a 2010 style ending for Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                I don't actually have that much of a problem with Sam dying in a fanfic - as long as its well written and stays true to her character. Like a 2010 style ending for Sam
                Yes, I liked Sam's heroic ending in 2010... but in many ways, she didn't die 'permanently'... they reset the timeline and all of SG-1 was there again. *That* kind of ending I can deal with
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 08 May 2005, 06:19 PM.

Comment

It is possible to save each page (with multiple posts) as an htm file. These could be burned to a CD. Of course, someone would have to burn 334 files at this point in order to get them all, which could be quite time consuming...

I'd be willing to chip in for some flowers. If there's enough interest, maybe we could do a paypal thing? Not that I have any idea how that would actually work...
                  I'd be willing to make the purchase. They keep telling me my Mastercard is accepted all over the world...so Vancouver, Canada shouldn't be a problem. We just need to pick a florist in Vancouver and everyone who's interested to agree on an arrangement. Oh and what you would like on the card. We can discuss the above as well as monetary donations via PM's or email for those who are interested.

Kat

Comment

I'd be willing to chip in for some flowers. If there's enough interest, maybe we could do a paypal thing? Not that I have any idea how that would actually work...
                    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    I'd be willing to make the purchase. They keep telling me my Mastercard is accepted all over the world...so Vancouver, Canada shouldn't be a problem. We just need to pick a florist in Vancouver and everyone who's interested to agree on an arrangement. Oh and what you would like on the card. We can discuss the above as well as monetary donations via PM's or email for those who are interested.

Kat
                    When I send flowers to my mom, I just call a local florist and they handle finding a florist in my mom's town ...of course, she's in the same state that I am - not in another country...

I'm not sure how to set up a paypal arrangement... and I saw a news program the other day that said that paypal has some serious security issues that they need to address ASAP!

I'd love to chip in on some 'Welcome Back' flowers for AT - but I did want to make sure that she actually *is* back before sending them... they'd kind of go to waste if she's not back yet... they'd probably just set the flowers in her trailer or some such, and if she's not around they'd just die alone like that 'one dead basil plant!'

As for what to say... How about 'Welcome Back, Amanda!' From the Sam/AT fans of the 'Sam's A Great Character Thread'. Come and browse the thread some time http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...page=277&pp=20 .

Or something shorter?

Comment

I'm not sure how to set up a paypal arrangement... and I saw a news program the other day that said that paypal has some serious security issues that they need to address ASAP!

I'd love to chip in on some 'Welcome Back' flowers for AT - but I did want to make sure that she actually *is* back before sending them... they'd kind of go to waste if she's not back yet... they'd probably just set the flowers in her trailer or some such, and if she's not around they'd just die alone like that 'one dead basil plant!'

As for what to say... How about 'Welcome Back, Amanda!' From the Sam/AT fans of the 'Sam's A Great Character Thread'. Come and browse the thread some time http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...page=277&pp=20 .

Or something shorter?
                      Not to be a party pooper, but you are right about PayPal ... I am on a national board and we had an account for students to use and we are now switching to another vendor. Security issues abound - hackers, spam, and loss of personal data. We don't want to get involved at all with that.

Maybe best way would be for just a couple of the royal court senior members here (I'm willing to chip in) just pool their own personal funds (it can't be that much moolah) and, in the spirit of Samanda, order something to be sent directly to her dressing room or, as Sky says, it just goes to the gatehouse at Bridge - whatever.

Astro and Kat - why don't we think this through and one of us can proceed with a personal credit card and do the deed and name all of us - the GW SaGC Thread as the givers. Sky or Lida or MajorSam (where are you these days?) - all of you are local Vancouverites - do any of you know if AT is back at the studio yet?

Astro and Kat - you can email me to discuss further. If anyone else wants to contribute up front, you can PM me here. I think if just 3 or 4 of us agree to recompensate the sender/credit card owner, it will work out fine. Kind of an exciting thought - sending flowers and a welcome back to our Queen!

Comment

Strix, from the little I've read (and I want to read more of your stories), you whump so well! Your Knife's Edge of Madness was brilliantly conceived and so well written. A very realistic portrayal of what that kind of injury would do to a person.

Please post your site again for those of us who missed it the first time around. The speed at which this thread travels leaves lots of important posts in the dust all too quickly. Share again. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Strix, from the little I've read (and I want to read more of your stories), you whump so well! Your Knife's Edge of Madness was brilliantly conceived and so well written. A very realistic portrayal of what that kind of injury would do to a person.

Please post your site again for those of us who missed it the first time around. The speed at which this thread travels leaves lots of important posts in the dust all too quickly. Share again. Thanks!
                          The link's in her sig

http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/stargate.htm

And I'll second Chopin, very interesting and entertaining stories to read. I'll look forward to any new fics that you're working on... (*hint hint* )

Comment

well, i'm nowhere near vancouver, but if someone wants to peruse online flower vendors, choose an arrangement and order it, the others can chip in via personal check or some such way of sending money

much easier and better than paypal, imho.

the only real issues that come up are folks sending 'foreign' money (such as the brits sending money to the yanks)

another thing we can do, in lieu of flowers, what if each person wrote a nice note/letter/art work and sent them to one person, who can print them out and then send the whole packet to the studio as a welcome back present?

it would have very much of a personal touch while not costing some folks much money.

we have so many talented artists here with fantastic photoshop skills. i think it could be something that she'd really enjoy
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well let me know what the plan is because I'm in. Whoever is deemed the keeper of the cash, please email me at [email protected] or PM me and let me know where to send the dough.

We could all "sign" the card with our real names and our GW/Samandan screen names...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

well, first things first. and i guess we should vote on it

do we want flowers or do we want to do a little presentation book?

flowers we could do in a few days, the presentation book a couple of weeks (just to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to write their letter/make their art work, etc)

so, flowers or notes?
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X