X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    1000 posts!
    Congratulations, Über!
    LOL... I don't know why, but I get the giggles every time I see this photo of AT.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Admittedly, Sam doesn't really have a lot of free time to watch television, and even when she does have downtime there always seems to be something better she can be doing. But every once in awhile, when she has the urge, she likes to turn on the television or pop in a tape/dvd and this is what I think she is watching ...and why.

Whenever she wakes up in the morning feeling a bit nostalgic, she often finds herself rushing around the house, trying to get ready for work with the Weather Channel echoing across her house. It’s not that she particularly cares what the weather will be like that morning. When you spend most of your day inside the belly of a giant mountain or exploring another planet on the other side of the galaxy, there really isn't a need to know what the weather will be like here...in Colorado Springs...but it reminds her of a friend. It reminds her of Jonas and his annoyingly infectious smile...and she thinks to herself that it’s not such a bad way to start the morning.

Whenever she can't sleep, she always finds herself curled up on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket, listening to the History Channel. The television volume is turned down low, just loud enough that she can clearly hear the words of the narrators. The images on the screen slowly blur as she closes her eyes and imagines Daniel standing in front of her in the briefing room. His face all-a-glow with excitement as he describes the various cultures, their religious backgrounds and traditions. The words ebb and flow through her mind as his voice gently lulls her to sleep. Deep in her subconscious, she finds it utterly amazing how much information she's actually retained over the years during these hazy history lessons.

Whenever she's had a really bad mission or is feeling a bit unnerved, she always ends up curled up in bed, with a bowl of Ben & Jerry's in one hand and a copy of Star Wars on the TV. She received the Star Wars Trilogy a few years ago from Teal'c. She, Daniel and the Colonel( now General ) had all received identical copies for Christmas that year. It was Teal'c's way, she supposed, of making sure there was always a copy wherever he went. Over the years, she'd often watch the movie and imagine her team: Teal'c as Chewy, herself as Leia, Daniel as Luke and Jack...well...needless to say, real-life never works out like it does in the movies. But she always fells better after she’s watched the movie; knowing that her friends...her family will always be there for her. And she always feels safer...knowing that Teal'c is watching her six.

Though she would never admit it, especially to Jack, she has become a closet Simpson's fan over the years. In the beginning, she would tape it for him, whenever they went off-world or he was sick, but the show has begun to slowly grow on her. She finds that whenever she is feeling down and needs a quick pick me up, all she needs to do is pop in one of the tapes and for a few minutes at least she's able to forget that she's a Colonel. She forgets there's a Stargate. Or Gou'alds. Or Replicators. She forgets about saving the world. For a few minutes, she sits and laughs and wonders if perhaps this is reason he watches the Simpsons too.

Whenever she feels lonely or has a need to chat with someone, she finds herself curled up in front of the television with a glass of white wine and an episode of ER. It had been Janet's favorite show; she called it her one true vice in life. Whenever they both had downtime, after Cassie had gone to bed, they would treat themselves with a box of Godiva chocolate, a bottle of wine, and an episode of her favorite show. They would playfully argue over who was the sexiest doctor…she had always preferred Dr. Ross; whereas Janet had a thing for Dr. Greene. She had actually found it quite amusing when she found out Janet secretly had a thing for balding men…Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart, among others. She'd always found it a bit odd that Janet could enjoy watching a show that hit so close to home, but Janet had explained once that that was exactly the reason she enjoyed it so much; because it showed exactly how in a mad and crazy work environment, people could come to respect and care for one another so deeply. The medical aspects of the show were good, but it was relationships that she enjoyed the most. For years, Janet had diligently taped the show on VHS. Janet had kept hoping that it would eventually come out on DVD, and it did finally…just a year too late.

She’s replaced the first three seasons with DVD’s now; she bought them this year for Janet’s birthday. The gift was unwrapped, the candle was blown out and a silent birthday wish was spoken before she popped in the first disc. It’s funny how life can be…during all those years that they sat together watching the show; she never once imagined the series might actually outlive her friend.

Kat
      Kat, what an excellent and creative take on the subject! This could stand alone as a short fic or actually be added to and possibly named "A Day in the Life of Sam Carter" ... maybe she'd be in bed, grounded with a broken leg or just a bad cold. But she'd be bored and turn to her TV for some solace and then she'd start watching shows and DVDs all day and remembering the connections to the people she loved.

Mucho blue jello and beans, plenty of beans, for a job well done! This was such a warm treatment of our favorite character and you seemed to get into all their heads so believably! I really enjoyed reading this!

Wow ... I feel we have another potential fanfic author about to make her debut on a wider stage!
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 May 2005, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Regarding AT doing her "Molly Shannon" routine on the set ....

LOL... I don't know why, but I get the giggles every time I see this photo of AT.
        Did you know that Molly Shannon had a baby (boy) on AT's due date, March 15? Could you imagine those two in a maternity wing at the same time?! The nurses and midwives would be laughing themselves silly!

Something tells me that both deliveries had a lot of one-liners and humor attached!

Comment

Warning: This is not my fault. It was Sky and CG's captions that put me into this frame of mind.

Sam: Damn it, Daniel…you know we’ve had this evening planned for over a month. Can’t you and Teal’c reschedule? My mouth has been watering for those ice cream sundaes all day.

Jack: (thinking) A little ice cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a dollop of whipped cream. Oooooh yeeeeah.

Jack: Don’t worry Daniel. Really (waving his hands emphatically in the air)…you two go ahead. Have fun. I’ll make sure Carter gets the ice cream sundae she’s been drooling over.
          ROTFLOL Ooh, someone else is acting naughty in Samanda!

Comment

Suffering from Sam withdrawal, I pulled out Death Knell. I am so impressed with AT's physical acting in this episode. She *moves* like she's hurting. Her leg seems to get worse as time goes on. When she gets up in one of the scenes, you see the way she uses the good leg to lever herself up without putting weight on the hurt leg. Many times, shows slap on a little bloody makeup but the characters walk around like they're fine. It's clear AT puts thought into these things.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              A few pages back, Kat posted this live-chat transcript done with AT in 2004. I actually was a part of the group of fans online in real time while this was going on - it was a frantic event and the mods did a great job in trying to keep everybody happy and the questions moving. Amanda stayed on quite long and seemed to really appreciate the fans' interest and the questions themselves. Re-reading the transcript brought it all back to me. It was fun for everyone.

I got to thinking about what AT said, quite spontaneously, about how she sees Sam Carter and the direction she'd like Sam to go. So let me extract part of the interview above for further discussion:

Fan: ... where do you think Sam Carter would like her career to go? If she had to choose between being a scientist or moving up in the USAF, which do you think she'd prefer?

AT: I think Sam would always choose science, as that's her real passion. She's very loyal to the military but science is what drives this woman.

Fan: Is there anything you'd like to see Sam do before the show ends?

AT: omg, yes! a million things!! Scientifically discover something that has life-altering effects. It sort of sounds egomaniacal, but for her to come up with the ultimate discovery that would change the world. I'd like to see her find true happiness and I really want her to go fishing with Jack.

I have my own theory of how this may happen ... the scientist in Sam saving the day ...

Spoiler:
              They are starting to reveal the cliffhanger episode for S9 which is entitled The Fourth Horseman. A plague will appear on Earth and TPTB are trying to sign up Sean Patrick Flannery to return as Orlin. We would have Sam, as scientist, working frantically with Orlin to literally save the world. Maybe the writers are actually listening to her and preparing a script where she does make a great scientific breakthrough for the good of humanity. And a two-parter yet! Wouldn't that be terrific?!

It seems that the writers listened about AT's wishes to find true happiness and go fishing with Jack, even though the first part (a boyfriend) never seemed to have the intended effect. Still, we did get to see Sam up front and personal. (I know I'm going to regret using this exact term. AD and Carterslave and Strix - behave yourselves!)

Let's hope that all of Amanda's secret wishes for Sam do come true!
              How did I miss Kat's post of that link earlier?
              Love your ideas, Chopingal! Would love to see
              Spoiler:
              Sam make a great scientific breakthrough for the good of humanity.

As for choosing between the military and her science - I hope that she doesn't have to make that choice - both of them are such integral facets of the character.
              [mattimooz:<MEESHYICKLE>At SG5 JR said to us that if he (Martouf) and Narim (Garwin Sanford) were in an arm wrestle that he'd win... but if "Sam" had to pick one of the two-narim or martouf... who would you prefer and why

Amanda_Tapping: Martouf, I think Martouf and Sam have a bit more in common

Amanda_Tapping:: although Narim does have my cat
              Loved the line about the cat!
              mattimooz: <FIREANTZZ>I'm from Australia and I am a huge fan some say I am addicted. What has been your favourite piece of "alien technology"? Thanks a lot! Beth.

Amanda_Tapping: personally, the healing device
              Hmmm...maybe they'll give her some good scenes with the healing device?
              mattimooz: <CRZYMUSICLVR>Do you play, or have played any music instruments? What kinda of music do you like? Do you think we'll see Sam do any serious dancing in Season 8? or maybe dancing when she's alone in her house, when she thinks no one is watching?

Amanda_Tapping: I play guitar and I used to play flute. I actually love all kinds of music and depending on the mood I'm in is what I listen to. But what I play is folk music. To catch Sam dancing alone in her house would be hilarious and perhaps frightening

mattimooz: frightening ?

Amanda_Tapping: yes, Amanda therefore Sam is a bit of a spaz
              Just...LOL! Would love to see Sam playing the guitar at home... or dancing to the radio while her dinner is in the microwave..
              ATC_sandy: <MARIE>Hi Amanda! Firstly great show. I know you get loads of gifts from fans from all over the world, but what is the strangest gift you've had from a fan. Peace and Love Marie

Amanda_Tapping: uhm..... that's a hard one to answer... I get a lot of really amazing hand made gifts which are just so wonderful. I can't say I've gotten anything really strange

mattimooz: Is it true you got a penguin once?

Amanda_Tapping: yeah, it's true. I've actually gotten a tonne of stuffed animals... never a live penguin. I also got a huge white tiger in Germany
              I'm assuming that the tiger was a stuffed toy...?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                Suffering from Sam withdrawal, I pulled out Death Knell. I am so impressed with AT's physical acting in this episode. She *moves* like she's hurting. Her leg seems to get worse as time goes on. When she gets up in one of the scenes, you see the way she uses the good leg to lever herself up without putting weight on the hurt leg. Many times, shows slap on a little bloody makeup but the characters walk around like they're fine. It's clear AT puts thought into these things.
                I agree completely ... AT is quite good at the physicality of acting. She seems to be very mindful at all times of what her body should be doing in the role she's playing.

She even manages a grimace as she makes her way over to the downed drone in the episode. The two times in Death Knell where I felt she dropped it just a bit was the stream and taking the drink of water and then diving behind the log ... and then up and running away. And, at very end, getting up and running to the pile of rocks (after Teal'c had distracted the resurrected super soldier). You could probably argue, though, that her adrenaline in both cases caused her to respond without the noticeable limp and pain which had been slowing her down all along.

All in all, it was a great job of acting!

Comment

Sam: "Her name is Skydiver and she comes from a place called Samanda."

Teal'c: "Indeed, it is most unfortunate that I used the zatnickatel upon her before asking further questions. I assumed that she was a potential threat."

Sam: "I know what you mean by 'acting suspicious'. She seemed to really be staring at the both of us and, when she started laughing hysterically, I really thought she was losing it. How could we have known that she was reaching into her pocket for a fanfic outline and not a weapon?"

Teal'c: "The content of this fanfic does, indeed, seem to be quite provocative. This woman may be more dangerous than we first presumed."

Sam: "Hey T, what are you doing Saturday night? Wanna hang out at my place and finish reading this story?"
                  LOL!

Comment

For shows Sam would watch--what about that motorcycle show (?) I keep coming across when flipping channels--it's called something like "American Chopper."

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                      If you take a look at Sam Carter's house -
                      http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.c...rter%27s_House

You'll notice only one scene in which there is apparently a TV (next to the fireplace in the scene where Orlin goes glowy).
                      http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...fireplace.html

If you look at other pictures, you'll notice one in particular that appears to show a big stuffed chair next to the fireplace that would completely block the view of the TV.
                      http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...ble_Orlin.html

Since the picture of the chair next to the fireplace was taken by security cameras before Orlin went all glowy on her, it appears that Olin must have moved the chair to access the TV while Sam was gone.

So.... I don't think Sam watches a lot of TV. Although I agree with Sky that Nova and other science and history shows would likely interest her!

On the other hand, there are books, lots of books in her house. Many of them open, indicating she likes to read (or study).
                      http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co..._dining_2.html

And there are about a billion computers in her house...
                      http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...y_monitor.html
                      ...so maybe her secret is shamelessly surfing the internet for original Star Trek fanfic, perhaps even with a few Kirk/Spock slash stories thrown in for giggles.

On second review, it looks like there might also be a small TV in her bedroom in one pic (on her dresser), so maybe she likes watching late-night reruns of M*A*S*H.
                      http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...m_monitor.html
                      What a great link! Thanks Strix!
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 May 2005, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Admittedly, Sam doesn't really have a lot of free time to watch television, and even when she does have downtime there always seems to be something better she can be doing. But every once in awhile, when she has the urge, she likes to turn on the television or pop in a tape/dvd and this is what I think she is watching ...and why.

Whenever she wakes up in the morning feeling a bit nostalgic, she often finds herself rushing around the house, trying to get ready for work with the Weather Channel echoing across her house. It’s not that she particularly cares what the weather will be like that morning. When you spend most of your day inside the belly of a giant mountain or exploring another planet on the other side of the galaxy, there really isn't a need to know what the weather will be like here...in Colorado Springs...but it reminds her of a friend. It reminds her of Jonas and his annoyingly infectious smile...and she thinks to herself that it’s not such a bad way to start the morning.

Whenever she can't sleep, she always finds herself curled up on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket, listening to the History Channel. The television volume is turned down low, just loud enough that she can clearly hear the words of the narrators. The images on the screen slowly blur as she closes her eyes and imagines Daniel standing in front of her in the briefing room. His face all-a-glow with excitement as he describes the various cultures, their religious backgrounds and traditions. The words ebb and flow through her mind as his voice gently lulls her to sleep. Deep in her subconscious, she finds it utterly amazing how much information she's actually retained over the years during these hazy history lessons.

Whenever she's had a really bad mission or is feeling a bit unnerved, she always ends up curled up in bed, with a bowl of Ben & Jerry's in one hand and a copy of Star Wars on the TV. She received the Star Wars Trilogy a few years ago from Teal'c. She, Daniel and the Colonel( now General ) had all received identical copies for Christmas that year. It was Teal'c's way, she supposed, of making sure there was always a copy wherever he went. Over the years, she'd often watch the movie and imagine her team: Teal'c as Chewy, herself as Leia, Daniel as Luke and Jack...well...needless to say, real-life never works out like it does in the movies. But she always fells better after she’s watched the movie; knowing that her friends...her family will always be there for her. And she always feels safer...knowing that Teal'c is watching her six.

Though she would never admit it, especially to Jack, she has become a closet Simpson's fan over the years. In the beginning, she would tape it for him, whenever they went off-world or he was sick, but the show has begun to slowly grow on her. She finds that whenever she is feeling down and needs a quick pick me up, all she needs to do is pop in one of the tapes and for a few minutes at least she's able to forget that she's a Colonel. She forgets there's a Stargate. Or Gou'alds. Or Replicators. She forgets about saving the world. For a few minutes, she sits and laughs and wonders if perhaps this is reason he watches the Simpsons too.

Whenever she feels lonely or has a need to chat with someone, she finds herself curled up in front of the television with a glass of white wine and an episode of ER. It had been Janet's favorite show; she called it her one true vice in life. Whenever they both had downtime, after Cassie had gone to bed, they would treat themselves with a box of Godiva chocolate, a bottle of wine, and an episode of her favorite show. They would playfully argue over who was the sexiest doctor…she had always preferred Dr. Ross; whereas Janet had a thing for Dr. Greene. She had actually found it quite amusing when she found out Janet secretly had a thing for balding men…Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart, among others. She'd always found it a bit odd that Janet could enjoy watching a show that hit so close to home, but Janet had explained once that that was exactly the reason she enjoyed it so much; because it showed exactly how in a mad and crazy work environment, people could come to respect and care for one another so deeply. The medical aspects of the show were good, but it was relationships that she enjoyed the most. For years, Janet had diligently taped the show on VHS. Janet had kept hoping that it would eventually come out on DVD, and it did finally…just a year too late.

She’s replaced the first three seasons with DVD’s now; she bought them this year for Janet’s birthday. The gift was unwrapped, the candle was blown out and a silent birthday wish was spoken before she popped in the first disc. It’s funny how life can be…during all those years that they sat together watching the show; she never once imagined the series might actually outlive her friend.

Kat
                        Five star post, Kat! Poignant and melancholy ending, but a wonderfully look at Sam's emotional and personal side.

Comment

Kat, what an excellent and creative take on the subject! This could stand alone as a short fic or actually be added to and possibly named "A Day in the Life of Sam Carter" ... maybe she'd be in bed, grounded with a broken leg or just a bad cold. But she'd be bored and turn to her TV for some solace and then she'd start watching shows and DVDs all day and remembering the connections to the people she loved.

Mucho blue jello and beans, plenty of beans, for a job well done! This was such a warm treatment of our favorite character and you seemed to get into all their heads so believably! I really enjoyed reading this!

Wow ... I feel we have another potential fanfic author about to make her debut on a wider stage!
                          Aww, ChopinGal you are so wonderfully sweet.

My parents are out of town and as a Mother's Day present, my husband is watching the kids while I lounge in quiet bliss at my parent's house. For the first time in nearly four years, I've been absolutely alone with my own thoughts. Hmm...maybe that's what I need to connect with my muse??
                          Alas, it may be another year or so before she returns to me, but it was fun while it lasted.

Kat

Comment

Yes, I'd like to see more exploration of the fallout from being taken over. Jolinar, despite being a Tok'ra was not totally a good guy regarding Sam. As I think Jack said in one ep, Sam didn't exactly invite Jolinar in. It would be cool to see 2 strong women, not in competition. I wouldn't want Vala to take away from Sam, but recurring might be ok.
                            I agree with the 'not in competition' concept, Jckfan - but it's so *easy* to slip into that I'll be surprised if the writers can avoid it. AT and TR wanted their characters to be friends - as the two main women on the show, they wanted to show them as friends and not competitors - and I think they did a great job of creating and showing a friendship between the two with the very little screen time that they had together.

Comment

Just figured that we needed some pics to go with Jckfan's wonderful comments.
                              Death Knell

Comment

Was referencing back to an earlier post and saw Uber's Ultimate Sam banner again - and it gave me such a good feeling that I figured I'd bring it forward for everyone to enjoy again.

Sam Rocks!

Uber's Ultimate Sam Banner

Comment

Working...
                                X