Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    I do wish that Sam's Jolinar imprint could be explored more. When was the last time they referred to it? I guess it just fell into the black hole of forgotten storylines.
    I think it was meridian. And i think that's why she doesn't use it. The last time she did, daniel nearly died. I think that's why she doesn't use it.

I think the goauld toys really require two things:
    the naq in a person's blood and the will to use them

now sam has the naq, but i honestly think she's so spooked by what she did to daniel, not to mention the trauma of killing seth that she doesn't wan to use it.

there is also the emotional issue of adrian conrad and her kidnapping. she nearly died because she was different. I think she's got a massive emotional block to using the toys
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
      Amanda is the sweetest, funniest most caring and thoughtful woman you could ever meet. She's got the most loveable personality and the cheekiest smile. I've met her twice and each time I've met her she's made me feel special. She really is a lovely woman and you'll love her to bits

Lucy
      I have no doubt about that! Amanda reminds me of my favorite children's book: The Velveteen Rabbit. She seems very real. I think that's why fans are drawn to her.

Fans who have met her, like you, keep gushing about how genuine and down to earth she is. That is no little thing considering the dangers of becoming a celebrity/public figure.

It's nice to know that Amanda feels that a lot of her real self is now a part of Sam, too. What you see, is what you get! That's quite a compliment in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        I think it was meridian. And i think that's why she doesn't use it. The last time she did, daniel nearly died. I think that's why she doesn't use it.

now sam has the naq, but i honestly think she's so spooked by what she did to daniel, not to mention the trauma of killing seth that she doesn't wan to use it.

there is also the emotional issue of adrian conrad and her kidnapping. she nearly died because she was different. I think she's got a massive emotional block to using the toys
        Hee hee hee - all of this is great stuff for Sam fanfic!

Yes, Sue C. - I think I've read some of her stories - I have to confess that I've loved so many of the regular fanfic writers but I haven't taken the time to really make notes of names and related stories in the past. Now that I'm writing myself, I will have to do my homework and list some of my favorites also. AstroG is light years (pardon the pun) ahead of me on that count.

It will be great to know some GW Samandans in London and kinda hang out with you guys. Do you have tickets for the cocktail party too?!

CG

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

Have you guys noticed the Pineapple thing? hahaha

Yeah ... is that going to replace the blue jello? A pineapple stands for hospitality so I wonder where they're going with that too.

... YOU GUYS LIKE THE NAME!!!!! I've always wanted to come up with the name for something like this... *sniff choke sob* My fave place in the world now has one of my fave names

POWER TO THE SAMANDANS!!! Right on! Today, GW Forum ... tomorrow bumper stickers for our cars!

Are we going to have a heirarchy or anything? VOTE FOR MEEE!!!

Anyone up for a theme song/National Anthem

Of course, once we're done with our Favorite Episode poll, we'll vote on a local government and a national anthem (lots of good songs out there which accompany all those Sam Carter videos)!

P.S I'm off to a winter survival exercise with my corps, I leave in... about 4 hours. I'll be gone for only about 3 days, but I will still miss you all terribly, and hope that I won't miss to much of the love in this thread! There still better be good posts for me when I get back! See below!

Reputation and such are always always welcome You'll have to settle for the Pineapple ... I'm so hospitable with rep points right now that I'm getting blocked out!

OOH, and if any of you guys have MSN, if you want, add me!!! [email protected] Will do! Hope your laptop stays cozy and warm on the trail!

... see you in a few days!
          Winter survival corps exercise in Canada in January? That sounds very painful to me ... Hope you've got your thermal underwear and hand warmers with you! And we'll miss you too but don't think about us when you're climbing an icy mountain or playing war games!

We just may have to swear you in as first president of Samanda when you get back. People love to vote for war heroes ...

Take care and be safe! CG
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 29 January 2005, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

It will be great to know some GW Samandans in London and kinda hang out with you guys. Do you have tickets for the cocktail party too?!

CG
            i don't have any tickets yet. when it was first announced i couldn't go, now i have to wait for the new date and for ticket sales to be opened. I hope there will be enough left for the cocktail party. If not...maybe i can volunteer or....borrow a ticket from someone and we can each to go half it

I'll deal with all the details once it's 'official'

sigpic

Comment

i don't have any tickets yet. when it was first announced i couldn't go, now i have to wait for the new date and for ticket sales to be opened. I hope there will be enough left for the cocktail party. If not...maybe i can volunteer or....borrow a ticket from someone and we can each to go half it

I'll deal with all the details once it's 'official'
              LOL - would you believe that my American $$ are still collecting interest in the GABIT bank account?! I was one of the last to book early enough to get into the cocktail party and then all the craziness started with cancellations! I happen to know one of the directors so I'm trusting that she hasn't run off with my hard-earned money. It was a bit of a hassle just to get all the bank transfers, etc. done then so it seemed easier to just stay on the original registration list when they had to reschedule. I would think that, if Amanda has to really push the event even farther back than this coming Fall, GABIT will return all paid funds to the fans then.

The hard part was finding what to do when British Air would not exchange or refund our plane tickets for September! That's why I ended up in the English countryside for a week visiting my daughter's friends and seeing the sights. It really turned into a great vacation - talk about making lemonades out of lemons.

Now I have to start saving all over again to afford this year's plane tickets and the hotel reservation! Word of warning: do not buy plane tickets early no matter how good a deal you get!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                Ifelt that way too. I had no problem with her saying that she needed to rest a minute either. I think your body would just feel total exhaustion after the adreniline rush for hours/days. And getting a little comfort seemed very real. She didn't ask for it--she just wasn't ready to get up yet!

Some fans said that they couldn't believe that she didn't ask about her dad right away. For me, I have never doubted that she loves her dad---that is shown over and over again. I think the writers assumed that the audience would know that she would do this---we just were given a moment to see her exhaustion.
                Actually, she was probably suffering from PTS (post-traumatic stress) at that point considering all she had been through. That's why her look of resignation when the Super Soldier rises from the earth seems important to me. I know AstroG and some others see it differently. But I thought that closeup of Sam's face and that moment was very powerful - it wasn't giving up so much as letting go and knowing that she did all she could to survive and it just wasn't enough. She was looking death in the face at that moment and preparing to die. How many soldiers come to that moment of truth on the battlefield? We'll never know because most don't live to tell us. Sam got her second chance when Teal'c and Jack appeared.

Again, IMHO, that look of resignation was very powerful. I liked that scene and didn't feel it was too contrived or "over the top".

CG

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  I messed up (didn't read it through) and voted for just one ep (I thought that's all you could do). I voted Solitudes. This ep really had it all (concerning showing just what Sam was made of). If I'd voted for the other two I could have, I would have chosen Emancipation (kick-butt Carter!) and Singularity. But Solitudes is my all-time first choice for first season ep.

Sally
                  Okay - considering that I read what happened to Sally (above), you would think that I would then go to vote and actually put in *three* of my favorites - check, check, check, - DUH! Maybe it's all the drugs I took this week while being sick ... but I ended up doing exactly the same thing you did, Sally!

Is there any way we can vote again, Sky? I guess not - maybe when you lift the poll off - you could add our "secret count" for the other two episodes:

Second Vote would have gone to: Solitudes
                  Third Vote would have gone to: Hathor

I did vote for Singularity as my favorite. It was hard to choose between that and Solitudes.

I assume we'll discuss the final top three after next Friday's results are tallied, right?

Great job on setting it up, Sky - thanks!

Comment

Okay - considering that I read what happened to Sally (above), you would think that I would then go to vote and actually put in *three* of my favorites - check, check, check, - DUH! Maybe it's all the drugs I took this week while being sick ... but I ended up doing exactly the same thing you did, Sally!

Is there any way we can vote again, Sky? I guess not - maybe when you lift the poll off - you could add our "secret count" for the other two episodes:

Second Vote would have gone to: Solitudes
                    Third Vote would have gone to: Hathor

I did vote for Singularity as my favorite. It was hard to choose between that and Solitudes.

I assume we'll discuss the final top three after next Friday's results are tallied, right?

Great job on setting it up, Sky - thanks!
                    LOL! I did exactly the same, and Skydiver was nice enough to add my additional votes into the poll. BTW, my votes are exactly the same as yours!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CUL8TRJACK
                      I truly missed seeing Carter in tonight's episode of PU and found myself a bit miffed when I saw Valla use the healing device on
                      Daniel. I was once again forced to watch yet another ex-host use gou'ald technology and found myself getting irritated thatwe have yet to see Carter really learn to take advantage of this ability.

I'm assuming that Carter's short time as host didn't give herenough knowledge to efficiently control these devices, but Iquestion why this can't be taught by a Tok'rah. I just thinkit would add a lot more depth to Carter to have her delve intothis aspect of her life a bit more than being forced to watchher be used as a lab rat again.

Am I alone in these feelings?
                      Originally posted by tara3583
                      I could never understand also why they never expanded on Sam's ability to use Gou'ald hand device, we saw her reaction after blasting Seth into the ground imho they should have let her use it again over the years but add in her feelings as to why she really does not like using them.

You're right about Jack and his gene and him being able to use the "chair" but i'm sitting there and saying "but what about Sam, she has special abilitys as well!" To me Sam's abilitys are just being used as a plot device and nothing more, sad waste of a good plot line for Sam imho.
                      I want to respond quickly, though, to the postings about Sam and the Tok'ra healing devices. I agree completely that there is so much potential for this arc - she has the hidden and undeveloped power to either heal or destroy. I wonder if what she did to Seth with a device is something that would work on RepliCarter if it ever came down to a showdown of sorts. So, here we go with the new chick on the block last night (Claudia Black) and she's already revealed that a) she had been a host and b) she's up to using healing devices. Holy Hannah - they're stealing Sam's plot lines already!!

As a Samandan, I demand my rights! Sam's memories and abilities from Jolinar should be further developed rather than replaced by some invading female with sex on her mind and a bad a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e. Cheap shot, writers, cheap shot. Couldn't you have thought of some other talents for Vala?

I just worry that Sam's role will be diminished even more by this. I want to see Sam doing these things (including the martial arts BTW) - not just gal in black.

And, then, we have Lt. Colonel MM (aka known as the other FU - oops! excuse me, that stands for Farscape, Unemployed) coming on to probably head the team in Sam's absence. Hey BB should bring a lot to the show, but not at the expense of our Sam I hope! I'm willing to cut the writers some slack here, but I do question his having the same rank as Sam. And is fly boy gonna be ready to give back her command once she returns to duty?
                      Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      I found myself thinking about some of these same things while watching PU last night. It will be interesting to see how TPTB insert Vala into 5 episodes. She was interesting in one episode, but can they keep that much quirkiness watchable for more than a couple of shows? And like you, ChopinGal, I hope it's not at Sam's expense.

I do think there's a reason that TPTB haven't allowed Sam to become proficient in using the healing device. It's the same reason that they made the sarcophagus have a nasty side effect. If it was that easy to heal everyone, there would be zero drama if someone got hurt or died. We would know that there was no risk, since Sam would just heal them immediately. Can't have that, can we?

I do wish that Sam's Jolinar imprint could be explored more. When was the last time they referred to it? I guess it just fell into the black hole of forgotten storylines.

Wonderful comments and analyses everyone!

I think the show's writers could write a wonderful episode or two where Sam is forced to use the Goa'uld ribbon device (or some such technology) in order to save lives or complete a mission that wouldn't be successful any other way. There could be some great scenes as she struggles with her revulsion and apprehensions - and then overcomes them... at least enough to make it work (like she did in Seth).

Comment

so i need to add another hathor and solitudes???

and yes, i can edit votes although with as many folks that are voting, i don't really want to spend my whole week doing it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          Wonderful comments and analyses everyone!

I think the show's writers could write a wonderful episode or two where Sam is forced to use the Goa'uld ribbon device (or some such technology) in order to save lives or complete a mission that wouldn't be successful any other way. There could be some great scenes as she struggles with her revulsion and apprehensions - and then overcomes them... at least enough to make it work (like she did in Seth).
                          Gosh, really good points by everyone on this topic. Revealing this conflict and struggle in Sam would be fabulous. I also would like to see a story about Sam just simply having to deal with some of Jolinar's other memories (besides Martouf and Natu). Let's say Jolinar has done something she regretted and a particular group that SG1 stumbles across (yes, they go through the gate) senses Jolinar in Sam. Sam must try to recall particular memories that are painful yet important to this group. Sam struggles to recall these memories---actually does not want to, but feels that she must. You can tell I am not a fiction writer!!! (I write social science articles--Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh). Anyway, surely Jolinar has other interesting memories that could be useful to storylines.

Comment

so i need to add another hathor and solitudes???

and yes, i can edit votes although with as many folks that are voting, i don't really want to spend my whole week doing it
                            If you can do it quickly, and if I promise to buy you a drink at GABIT, my other two votes are the ones above ... Sorry!

Comment

they're added

and yeah, i'd love to see some more about sam and jolinar

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                                Gosh, really good points by everyone on this topic. Revealing this conflict and struggle in Sam would be fabulous. I also would like to see a story about Sam just simply having to deal with some of Jolinar's other memories (besides Martouf and Natu). Let's say Jolinar has done something she regretted and a particular group that SG1 stumbles across (yes, they go through the gate) senses Jolinar in Sam. Sam must try to recall particular memories that are painful yet important to this group. Sam struggles to recall these memories---actually does not want to, but feels that she must. You can tell I am not a fiction writer!!! (I write social science articles--Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh). Anyway, surely Jolinar has other interesting memories that could be useful to storylines.
                                Hi Choc! Something tells me that the writers have shelved the Jolinar arc - put it up there right next to Cassie and whatever happened to her ...

Actually, I think there are some good fanfics that address the Jolinar connection with Sam ... AstroG may have a better recall of the names of the stories. I know I've read a couple in the past.

I loved In the Line of Duty and the whole Tok'ra arc which brought Jacob in as her dad ... wish we could have more of that again. Sigh!

LOL ... hey, social science can be fun and exciting ... do you publish in journals?!

Comment

Working...
                                X