Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Madam President,
    As Page I am writing you this missive on behalf of myself and all the citizens of Samanda. We are aware that you mentioned being busy, (for 10 weeks I believe?) however, your total absence is worrying! Not a post in so long.
    Missing our bouncy bright spark,
    yours,
    deepspace (royal Page)

edited to add: I also notice Uber hasn't been here for a while. We need our Royal Photographer!
    And our Royal Accountant, who seems to have been spending too much time with 1speed instead of playing here. Come on 1speed, give her back!
    Last edited by deepspace; 01 May 2005, 09:27 PM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
      I'm glad that Astrogeologist brought up Red Sky, which makes an instructive contrast to Gemini. In the former, Sam took a shortcut—as we are all wont to do, from time to time—and had to deal with the unintended consequences. But she then arrived at a potential solution (the ending is ambiguous as to whether it worked or not). But the initial mistake & its attempted solution were products of her brilliance.
      In Gemini, in order for the plot to work, Carter had to be dumbassified (as did Jack & Teal'c). RepliCarter shows up with a far-fetched sob story & Sam accepts it for reasons that boil down to "woman's intuition." She's making emotion-based decisions & O'Neill should have stepped in & overruled her. (The first time I saw Gemini, my suspicion was that Sam was taking a dive in order to justify supplanting her with Mitchell in S9. We'll see.)
      By chance, I saw 48 Hours a few days ago. I don't think Carter got scapegoated there: The crisis was the product of external events. Only Rodney blamed her for Teal'c's plight—and got shipped off to Russia once Hammond lost patience with him.

Especially if Janet had said, "Drop that buffoon Pete like a hot potato!"

The maimed-but-living Janet scenario is one that figures prominently in a lot of post-"Heroes" fan fiction. Heck, even if Dr. Fraiser had to hobble about the SGC like Dr. Weaver on "E.R." she could still have been part of the mix. Her humanity & keen sense of ethics are greatly missed.
      It's difficult to be objective when your most-loved character gets offed by TPTB but, for me, the show kind of died when Janet did (compounded by the semi-exile of Hammond & the declining presence of RDA). IMO, it's been on life support for most of S8. I'm come around the opinion that Ben Browder will bring a welcome dose of vigor to SG-1, even if I'm ambivanet about many other aspects of S9.
      But, getting back to Fraiser ... aside from feeling kicked in the teeth by having her bumped off, all this malarkey about bringing "reality" to the show by killing a beloved central character seems self-serving to me. "Look how high-minded we are being. Acknowledge us!" If they were really as brave as they pretended to be, they'd let one of the four regulars bite the bullet. (Fat chance.) It's called having your cake & eating it too.
      After seven seasons, it was a bit late to get all pretentious about making death "real" for the audience. After all, death simply didn't exist on SG-1 unless you were a guest star. Otherwise you were A) ascended, B) placed in stasis, C) re-encountered in alternate universes, D) placed in a sarcophagus, E) had your energy signature reconstructed from the computer memory of the Stargate, F) had accelerating aging processes miraculously reversed, G) magically revived by the Nox, H) other methods too inane to be enumerated.
      Killing the endearing Doc Fraiser was like a slap in the face (compounded when the surviving characters seemed to experience collective amnesia & never mentioned her or Cassandra again). Her subsequent replacement with a fembot must be TPTB's way of giving the finger to every fan who's still mourning Janet's demise. The feeling is mutual, fellas.

Skydiver, I know you from Spoilergate—and you're right again. Ongoing human drama was sacrificed for a quick fix of pathos. You want reality? Fraiser (or another character) coping with a prothesis or a debilitating condition would be plenty real ... more so than getting zapped by a Jaffa.

Indeed. AT's idea would have made for better drama of an ongoing nature. We can only hope that if the Jacob & Cassandra storylines are revisited later (at AT's behest), that Janet will get some love, too. Although I expect that pigs will fly sooner than Teryl Rothery will be invited back on the show (b/c it would be seen as a tacit admission that killing Fraiser was a mistake). When Cassie got ditched the whole Hok'taur plot went with her, so that's yet another reason to revisit her character. They've just scratched the surface with her.
      TR made it clear that she didn't want to leave the show or choose to do so. Since she was in 10-11 of 20 episodes per year, it's not like they couldn't have temporarily written her out & phased her back in. The "other projects" story sounds flimsy to me. [/rant]
      Hmm, but being that Janet was an officer in the Air Force, would they have really kept her around? Or would she been given a honorable discharge from the service and released from her position as CMO? I am not familiar enough with AF protocol to know the answer to this question. It would just seem to be me that since it's such a high risk position with potential for her to be in the field that they would not risk putting someone with a disability in that position, but I could be wrong in my assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Oh, definitely thunk-worthy!

There was one a while back, but it kinda went dead after a while. Actually, I find it interesting to note that the thunk threads for the guys (RDA, MS etc) get *alot* of replies in them, but the thunk threads for the girls seem to die out quickly... hmmm o.O
        That's because when men thunk it's hot and fast, where as with a woman it's a long, slow, steady burn. So whereas a man will pop into a thread and post a pic or two and move on, women will come back all throughout the day to satisfy their thunking needs. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Ooo - I agree, AD, she'd have to grab the cat and pull the bike out of the garage! I also love the idea that Sam has another cat - and love your name for him
          Hmm, does Sam actually have another cat?? I don't recall her saying she did after she gave hers to Narim.

Edit: Reminds self to really read the entire quote before she makes a silly response. lol

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
            Dear Madam President,
            As Page I am writing you this missive on behalf of myself and all the citizens of Samanda. We are aware that you mentioned being busy, (for 10 weeks I believe?) however, your total absence is worrying! Not a post in so long.
            Missing our bouncy bright spark,
            yours,
            deepspace (royal Page)
            I am happy to announce that our Madam President is very much alive and well, though unfortunately she has been extremely busy. I've been lucky enough to be able to chat with her tonight via MSN. She had hoped to be able to catch up on the thread tonight but as you all know GW has been down. If we are very lucky though, she may soon honor us with a post or two. Her cheerful disposition has definitely been missed these past few weeks.

Hopefully with MSam's return to the thread and AT's return to the Stargate set, we will soon be filled with positive thoughts to help us make it through the next few months until the new season begins. And we can once again begin discussing the wondrous adventure in which Sam has partaken the past few months.

Kat

Comment

Caption This

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                Caption This

Colonel Carter, I believe you have consumed too much blue jello.

Comment

T: Colonel Carter.... are you dead?

Caption This

sigpic

Comment

Caption This

Colonel Carter you really must spend less time in your lab, General O'neill will be most displeased if he catches you asleep here!
                    ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                      Yes, the entire setup reeked like a whole kettle of trouble getting shoved into the hottest part of the fire ... does one really want someone with a built in vulnerability to this very specific situation in command of that situation, much less someone as empathetic and sympathetic as Carter has shown herself to be?
                      The idea had "bad strategy" stamped all over it from its very inception, even in the eyes of an amateur like me ... this is a woman whose heart is at least as expansive as her intellect, and her commanding officer knows this, and should know he has to take it into account.
                      I'd like to congratulate Simha on a most auspicious debut. That was a brilliant breakdown & critique of Gemini and what caused a number of people (myself included) to balk at it. You brought out several facets that I'd like to think I was latently aware of (emphasized by the parts of your analysis that I kept, betwixt all the snippage) but couldn't put my finger on ... or articulate, which you did so superbly.
                      If ever an episode was a setup for Sam to fall smack on her face, this was it. (Possibly to pave the way for a new [read: male] commanding officer on SG-1.) The fix was in from the get-go.
                      Ironically, had SG-1 done nothing—just told RepliCarter to peddle her sob story elsewhere—everything would have turned out fine. Fifth wouldn't have known where to look for them, the disrupter device would still be effective, RepliCarter would still be under Fifth's thumb, etc., etc., etc.
                      Frankly, it stretches credibility well past the breaking point that three people so experienced with various forms of treachery would swallow one whopper from RepliCarter after another, particularly that doozy about Fifth having overcome the disrupter technology. (How?) That practically screamed "Disinformation!"
                      Gemini was written by Peter DeLuise, author of Affinity, another episode that really stuck it to Our Heroes. Coincidence? I think not. Keep that man away from the word processor!
                      The only fault transecting my classroom was their failure to spell and punctuate!
                      A failing shared by many fan fiction writers, I regret to say. (Don't they realize that proofreading is A Good Thing?)

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Caption This

Colonel Carter, both Danieljackson and myself have warned you many times about the shocking and graphic content of fan fiction.

. . . or . . .

Colonel Carter, did you not realize that Dr. Fraiser harbored such feelings for you?
                        Last edited by Carterslave; 02 May 2005, 03:13 AM.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Hmm, but being that Janet was an officer in the Air Force, would they have really kept her around? Or would she been given a honorable discharge from the service and released from her position as CMO? I am not familiar enough with AF protocol to know the answer to this question. It would just seem to be me that since it's such a high risk position with potential for her to be in the field that they would not risk putting someone with a disability in that position, but I could be wrong in my assumptions.

well, in one situation, bud on jag could keep his job once he proved that he physically could do it and in another real life example, a soldier who lost his leg in Iraq went back to Iraq, on a prosthesis and i presume that he had to prove the he physically could do his job

so i think it might come down to that, can you physically do your job?
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Caption This

I told her that it would be best if we kissed in my quarters, not on duty

*ducks*

sigpic

Comment

Sam decides it’s time to see if her new naquadah enhanced copter meets the supreme test.

Demo Flight

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                                Sam decides it’s time to see if her new naquadah enhanced copter meets the supreme test.

Demo Flight

rotflol!!!

you know what, i have that pic on my desktop

and i love who she took with her

guess there is something to the Smore folks after all

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X