Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    this is somewhat OT, but it does segueway back to sam, so...

spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Spoiler:
    how about instead of janet dying in heroes 2, she was just horribly maimed? like, what if when the jaffa shot at her, he hit her leg and it was blown away? she'd be missing a leg forever.

i understand what the writers were tying to do - show the ugliness and finality of war and death - but i also think they could have suggested that in my scenario above. i imagine that janet would have had to resign her commission, but i can't believe she'd lose her career as a doctor. i'd also imagine the emotional fallout would make her never want to go through the gate again, and she'd also not want to risk cassie being without a mother 'again'.

heroes 2 was *very* powerful, but... and seeing as the show's never brought up janet again, i think my scenario would have worked better. what do you guys think?

to get back to our sam; i think if janet has survived, sam would have benefitted from janet's guidance concerning her personal life.

sally
    that would have been intersting to see. in a slightly similar topic, where i work, they're discussing highway deaths/injuries. in my state, last year, there were 75,000 car wrecks, 25,000 injury accidents and over 400 fatalities.

quite staggering numbers and one thing folks are focusing on are those 400+ fatalities but....bear with me here. several years ago, my brother inlaw was in a wreck. a teenage driver ran a red light and hit his motorcycle and he lost his foot. He's fine now and leads a perfectly happy and healthy life...but, every couple of years they have to buy a new prosthesis for his foot. and they will have to buy him a new prosthesis every couple of years or so for the rest of his life

when someone dies, there's an obvious finality to it. there's the funeral, settling of the estate and life goes on, albiet it without that person, but there's closure. In an injury, life still goes on, but it's altered and that alteration has to be dealt with every single day.

heroes spoiler
    Spoiler:
    in heroes, janet died. and it sucked. but there was a funeral, they dealt with cassie and life goes on.

but had janet lived and been maimed then they would have to deal with that on a daily basis. It would have been some fantastic development for her.

i mean, look at Bud on Jag. Bud was horribly maimed and we've watched him deal with it over the years. IMHO, that's much more powerful than if he'd died
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

...Now, as a college professor, I have to say that I'm sorry that AT felt stupid when using food to try and help people understand the physics... Usually we teachers are proud of anything we use as a visual aid when explaining abstract concepts within our field to those outside of our field. So the donut and the fruit - they can be great visual aids... I'll use whatever's handy - and if people's eyes spark with understanding, then I'm proud of that salt-shaker-cum-volcano or that donut-cum-wormhole. And besides, it's fun! ... like when sitting in IHOP with a friend... and of course, they want me (their geologist friend) to explain the earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I'll gladly use whatever props are on the table.
      ROTFL I can just picture AstroG in a restaurant - her eager young students sitting across from her - and the waiter delivers this huge mound of blue jello!

Astro takes her spoon and whumps that sucker really hard - the jello starts to shake and quiver and roll off its side in a nasty wave - Astro, by now, is in a frenzy - spouting geology terminology having to do with mega tsunamis - students are now covered in blue jello.

Ah, yes ... show and tell.

PS Remind me never to go out to eat with you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        that would have been intersting to see. in a slightly similar topic, where i work, they're discussing highway deaths/injuries. in my state, last year, there were 75,000 car wrecks, 25,000 injury accidents and over 400 fatalities.

quite staggering numbers and one thing folks are focusing on are those 400+ fatalities but....bear with me here. several years ago, my brother inlaw was in a wreck. a teenage driver ran a red light and hit his motorcycle and he lost his foot. He's fine now and leads a perfectly happy and healthy life...but, every couple of years they have to buy a new prosthesis for his foot. and they will have to buy him a new prosthesis every couple of years or so for the rest of his life

when someone dies, there's an obvious finality to it. there's the funeral, settling of the estate and life goes on, albiet it without that person, but there's closure. In an injury, life still goes on, but it's altered and that alteration has to be dealt with every single day.

heroes spoiler
        Spoiler:
        in heroes, janet died. and it sucked. but there was a funeral, they dealt with cassie and life goes on.

but had janet lived and been maimed then they would have to deal with that on a daily basis. It would have been some fantastic development for her.

i mean, look at Bud on Jag. Bud was horribly maimed and we've watched him deal with it over the years. IMHO, that's much more powerful than if he'd died
        Well said, Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          And I dunno if it was just me, but did I notice alot of Agent Dark whumping going on?
          Bah! You'll live....

Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            ROTFL I can just picture AstroG in a restaurant - her eager young students sitting across from her - and the waiter delivers this huge mound of blue jello!

Astro takes her spoon and whumps that sucker really hard - the jello starts to shake and quiver and roll off its side in a nasty wave - Astro, by now, is in a frenzy - spouting geology terminology having to do with mega tsunamis - students are now covered in blue jello.

Ah, yes ... show and tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
              Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              And I dunno if it was just me, but did I notice alot of Agent Dark whumping going on?
              Bah! You'll live....

LOL! Astrog is making notes to tell Deepspace not to write TokraHostess into a medic role in the next chapter of her Samanda epic

Comment

(Regarding MajorSal's change of plot for Heroes 2)

... that would have been interesting to see.

heroes spoiler
                Spoiler:

Yes, and remember that AT, herself, tried to convince PDL that it wasn't too late to have a change of heart and change the final ending.
                Spoiler:
                Amanda also believed that having Janet injured would have been the way to go.

Comment

Yes, and remember that AT, herself, tried to convince PDL that it wasn't too late to have a change of heart and change the final ending.
                  Spoiler:
                  I didn't know that! Go AT! (even if she doesn't 'get' the whole food as visual aid thingy ) Do you remember what interview or such you read that in?

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                    Visual aids? What visual aids? Can't you just use the waving your hands proof? (as in, if I wave my hands enough, they'll buy what I'm saying. )

Actually, one of my tricks is to place an invisible blanket over my students in a class to demonstrate 3D surfaces. I just don't tell them an invisible alien named Urgo is telling me to do it.

NC
                    Invisible blankets? I have my students pretend that a fault transects the classroom... and then we pretend there's an earthquake and the building breaks and shifts (but doesn't fall down)... modelling the San Andreas Fault. I put the students on one side of this imaginary fault and I stand on the other. Then we talk types of faults - and I move to simulate where my side would be after the quake. Hmmm... there's no food in that scenario... will have to work on that...

Comment

I didn't know that! Go AT! (even if she doesn't 'get' the whole food as visual aid thingy ) Do you remember what interview or such you read that in?
                      Gosh, Keeper ... not at the moment. But I'm sure some fellow Samandan may have the answer. It may have been a magazine article - gonna go check out some of my past mags.

Spoiler:
                      I remember that the writers were starting to realize what a big step they were taking after the mania of prodding each other to really pull it off ... and Amanda also was advocating for TR to be kept on ... that a serious injury could prove their point and still salvage the character. Shame they didn't listen!

Comment

Invisible blankets? I have my students pretend that a fault transects the classroom... and then we pretend there's an earthquake and the building breaks and shifts (but doesn't fall down)... modelling the San Andreas Fault. I put the students on one side of this imaginary fault and I stand on the other. Then we talk types of faults - and I move to simulate where my side would be after the quake. Hmmm... there's no food in that scenario... will have to work on that...
                        NC and Astro ... kudos on your unusual teaching styles.

I just collected 30 term papers from two classes. After quick glances at the writing, I wanted to have real blankets thrown over their heads!

The only fault transecting my classroom was their failure to spell and punctuate!
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 April 2005, 07:08 PM.

Comment

LOL! Astrog is making notes to tell Deepspace not to write TokraHostess into a medic role in the next chapter of her Samanda epic
                          Medic role? I should say not! Note to Deepspace: TH is not the "kissey the poor baby's boo-boos" type (but I think you've already figured that out). When it comes to empathty for the stricken I'm more a McKay type, or concussed Sam's version of Daniel.

AD is head of security around here. That makes him at least as hard headed as Jack, right?
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Spoiler:

that is one spoiler i really, really, really wish they hadn't leaked.

heroes spoiler
                            Spoiler:

don't get me wrong here. i hate that janet died. but, once the spoilerleaked and then it looked like tptb could ignore that spoiler to make a happy ending, well i would have been disappointed in them had they taken the easy way out, especially after we knew about a year ahead of time about it.

but, if they had have notlet that spoiler out, then they could have tweaked and changed it and then have gone for the injury angle
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              Medic role? I should say not! Note to Deepspace: TH is not the "kissey the poor baby's boo-boos" type (but I think you've already figured that out). When it comes to empathty for the stricken I'm more a McKay type, or concussed Sam's version of Daniel.

AD is head of security around here. That makes him at least as hard headed as Jack, right?
                              I'm with you sistah! Our big and brawny guys around here need to take care of themselves.

I can't stand movies (or fanfic) where the stereotyped female is hovering over the poor suffering hero and nursing him back to health! Forget it, buddy. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Comment

that is one spoiler i really, really, really wish they hadn't leaked.

heroes spoiler
                                Spoiler:

don't get me wrong here. i hate that janet died. but, once the spoilerleaked and then it looked like tptb could ignore that spoiler to make a happy ending, well i would have been disappointed in them had they taken the easy way out, especially after we knew about a year ahead of time about it.

but, if they had have notlet that spoiler out, then they could have tweaked and changed it and then have gone for the injury angle
                                I think you've nailed it ... the leak cemented the final ending ... they were painted into a corner and refused to undo the damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X