Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deepspace
    Oh, oh. Will I won't I will I won't I. I was playing around with Paint shop Pro 5 today, figuring out some of the things it can do. I just chose to put together some of Astro's pictures because I had them saved to my hardrive. I don't want her to take this the wrong way though, especially as I plagued her with PM's today.
    I'm glad you decided you would. It's a great tribute to the Keeper. Well done!
    Last edited by SamFan31; 30 April 2005, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
      This report builds upon the lead provided by sg-1fanintn and previous sightings of suspected Sam activity and possessions (see the links below)….

Naquada Problems

Cute Copter

One of the Samanda cub reporters set upon the path to answer Astrog’s question “Where’s that Cartercopter?”

After much research and sleuthing about there was a sighting of our Sam! She is indeed on a mission that is concealed from us. Her extraordinary naquada enhancement of the Cartercopter has proven more successful than her wildest dreams.

There is an unauthenticated report that this is just one of many far away sites she will visit before being called home. Journalistic ethics prevents the reporter from revealing sources of this scuttlebutt.

For more details on this amazing actual aircraft visit the following site.

Cartercopters

WOW!!! All those times Sam's been in her lab working late and playing with her "doohickys", just look what that girl has come up with!
      ......TARA......

Comment

*gulp* I've started my first thread ever. It's either something that will work, or that will flop flat on its face. I need some support. Agent Dark? Uber? I know there are some Starbuckers here amongst us.

Starbuck (Kara Thrace) -- appreciation thread
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11687

--deepspace, worrying about whether she's done something horribly wrong.
        Last edited by deepspace; 30 April 2005, 06:09 AM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I watched the Amanda Tapping Video Diary on DVD tonight. Boy do those actors go silly in front of camera. It's so fun to watch. I also started watching a commentary of Red Sky, where Amanda talks about how she actually studies the physics that Sam has to talk about. (I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on this thread).
          Last night I finally saw the Stuck on a Glacier with MacGyver adlib, which I've heard about for ages now. I spent a lot of time on the floor hugging my aching ribs.
          Amanda might complain that Sam's not funny, but she herself sure is.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I started writing this a long time ago now. I hope it’s not too doomsdayish, like discussion of season9. I would have liked to make it more humourous, but being funny and witty just doesn’t seem to come to me naturally. Also, I haven’t managed to write in everyone who posts here, so know that I didn’t want to leave any of you out, it’s just I could only keep track of a few separate storylines at a time. If you want to be in it, you could maybe continue the story?
            Great story, deepspace! Not funny? I cracked up at "Spaz who had been lurking...", and “I am Elektron, first prime of the system lord Atomn.” Keep it up if you can.

NC(apparently still in a cargo hold)

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I'm sorry. I have to make this comment because I find this Sky's comment so confusing.

I do so try

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              This is not to be an attack on Sky in any way. I'm very curious because this is not the first time I've seen someone make a comment like this regarding Abyss. It seems as if many people have issues regarding this episode because it was so violent. I have to admit this is one of my all-time favorite episodes. I've probably watched it a half dozen times if not more. I can watch it over and over and never tire. The script was wonderful, the set was fantastic, and the acting was brilliant by everyone involved. That and Jack does pain oh so well.

The thing most confusing is when I hear someone from this thread say I'm a wuss regarding this type of episode, because most of us seem to have heart pulpulations anytime Sam is whumped in fanfic. Can I just ask how this is any different? Kat
              for me it's a couple of things.

a) it's different in fic because i'm not watching it happen. I"m not watching this actor portray it, i'm reading the character going through it.

There's even some sam whump fic that i don't care for because it's too violent and too explicit. I don't read a lot of jack whump fic because it'll consist of 14 pages describing every single injury and owie and i just dont' care for that mental image

b) as to abyss, there are some that liked it and it was an ultimate in jack whump but there were aspects of it that i just didn't care for. I've never been a fan of this whole 'i'm omiscient but i can't do anything' angle of the ancients. I found daniel's first offer of help to jack in ascending to be so totally wrong...jack CAN'T have power and not use it. giving him the power of the Q and then telling him that he can't use it is a worse torture than what baal was doing to him.
              Yeah, it was good drama, but for a character who knew jack so well, daniel sure made a bad choice of offers of help

I personally would have loved to have seen less of that and more of teal'c talking to Yu or Ohsu or them finagling a way to help jack
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                while i was watching gemini, and thought (don't laugh) came to me...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:
                wouldn't it be neat that if they gave any of the characters their own spin-off series, it could be sam COMMANDING the alpha site?!?
                I think there's a decent chance that's where she is at the beginning of season 9.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                  Sky & I will have to agree to genially disagree on S6, a largely wasted year, IMO—largely on account of (do you sense a theme?) poor writing. Abyss was favorite episode from that year (not at first, but it grows on you), especially b/c it got back to the strong character-interaction dynamics that made the series work. Those Jack/Daniel conversations were intense theatre.
                  Poor Jonas ... boned by unimaginative scripting. He deserved better.
                  yep. we can happily disagree. I personally found s6 one of the more enjoyable ones, while s7 and 8, well they've certainly had some great eps, but they've also had some massive stinkers and it's so hit and miss...again, for me.

to others, s7 and 8 are the best ever

different strokes

Originally posted by Carterslave
                  Yeah, that makes two of us, Forever. Plus, there are some things it's especially hard to read or see characters subjected to—most of all when it's one you love. Authors should write as their Muse dictates but my personal appetite for whumpage doesn't go much past the stuff you see on the show. Even a recent story involving Jack & Janet—plus some symbiotes—got pretty disturbing w/o whumpage. I mean, things can't get much worse than having a snake in your head, no?

see, i don't like explicit whumpage. someone gets owied, fine. happens. necessary for h/c fic and angst and plot and i've done it myself countless times. but i don't care for pages and pages of descriptions and medical data and a detailed listing of everything that's happened. Even in fic, a lot of the time i just skim over the details.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I watched the Amanda Tapping Video Diary on DVD tonight. Boy do those actors go silly in front of camera. It's so fun to watch. I also started watching a commentary of Red Sky, where Amanda talks about how she actually studies the physics that Sam has to talk about. (I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on this thread).
                    Last night I finally saw the Stuck on a Glacier with MacGyver adlib, which I've heard about for ages now. I spent a lot of time on the floor hugging my aching ribs.
                    Amanda might complain that Sam's not funny, but she herself sure is.
                    Where did you find the out take from Solitudes??? I saw it last year and have been looking for it again ever since.....my hubby REALLY wants to see it. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!!!!!
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

THE LOST ELDER
                      A story of the City of Samanda

…continued
                      “Well, it doesn’t seem like the locals are going to be able to help us”, said Majorsam, looking at the extra helpful updated photo of the Wise Elder with reptilian aquaintance. “Let’s move, and see if we can find anything further on.”

The royal nanny Forever and Vice President Majorsal were trying to keep the citizens of Samanda within the city walls. It wasn’t working. Samanda had been free from the goa’ulds for so long that nobody feared the threat of the current situation.
                      “Kat, I’m off to see what info there is from the royal observatory. Keep an eye on everyone here for me. Oh, and send the Royal scribe to see Agent Dark and take down his story, I heard that he’s regained conciousness”, said Sally as she walked out the great doors of the court.
                      “But…” said Kat. ‘Oh damn’, she thought. ‘When I accepted the position of royal Nanny, I never expected it to include babysitting an entire kingdom.’

When Agent Dark awoke, he found himself in he infirmary. When he realised that he was in no immediate danger from the whopping pain in his head, he relaxed a little. Then Gracie walked through the door.
                      “You going to live?” she said.
                      “Yeah”, he replied. “I think so. But hey, what happened?”
                      “That’s what I’m supposed to ask you.” She pulled out a parchment and quill and sat herself down on the stool beside the infirmary bed.
                      “Well, last I knew I was doing my job as usual, you know, being head of security, keeping things secure.”
                      “As far as we know, two jaffa landed on Gateworld in a death glider, headed straight to Samanda, zatted you, and kidnapped Nearly Circular. We don’t know where your sidekicks Carterslave or 1speed were at the time. Remember anything?”
                      “I must have had my back turned, I didn’t see anything. I’m sorry. What’s happening about finding NC?”
                      “Majorsam took a team off to look for her. They left about an hour ago.”
                      “I should go with them”, said Agent Dark, but as he started to sit up, the pain in his head increased and he passed into a pool of black unconciousness, where he stayed for another hour.

Majorsam handsignalled for Astro to move to the cover of the next tree. They were closing in on the cargo ship. It would seem that they’d brought stronger forces than two jaffa and a death glider after all. It was a Tel’tak though… no sign of an Alkesh bomber. So chances were that all they wanted to do was bargain for the Elder’s life. ‘Ha, very funny’, thought Majorsam to herself. ‘A goa’uld coming in peace for negotiations.’

Sally stomped into the observatory, tired and anoyed.
                      “What’s taking you so long to figure out if there’s been anything unusual the last day or so.”
                      “Ma’am. Sorry Ma’am. Working as fast as I can. There’s a lot of data to process looking for anomolies.” replied Deepspace looking up from a computer screen.
                      “Well, if you’re working as fast as you can, work faster.” she snapped. Then “Hey, you’re not on the internet are you?” suspiciously.
                      “Of course not! I do know when the fate of the kingdom’s at stake!”
                      “Sorry. It’s just… oh, I don’t envy Majorsam being the president.”

“Jaffa, kree”. yelled the leader of the jaffa warriors. He then proceeded to give commands… in goa’uld.
                      “I should have taken my ‘Goa’uld as a secondary language’ course last year” mumbled Astro to herself as they got closer to the ship. Chopingal and Coley were around the other side, and Majorsam was approaching from the front. They were coming in from all angles. The plan was that if NC was aboard the cargo vessel, then they would try to take the jaffa by surprise, and capture the ship before they took off.

Coley was ghosting quietly, following Chopingal’s lead, when a stick snapped underneath her combat boot. “Drat”, she whispered under her breath. Then, as quick as lightning, in a rush of activity, the firing began. For a moment she thought it had been because of the twig she stepped on, but then as soon as she realised they were shooting in the other direction she ran up from beind and and took aim. She and Chopingal took out three jaffa from their angle first go, while the firefight on the other side went for a little longer, with Majorsam rapid firing at the leader, who was attempting to enter the ship. Astro hit targets four and five in half a minute after a staff weapon blast had dislocated a tree limb and it had landed just half a metre behind her. Rolling into a blackberry bush Chopingal landed clear of the next staff weapon blast. Spaz, who had been lurking, suddenly leapt out from behind a rotting log, engaging in hand to hand combat with another jaffa, capturing his staff weapon and turning it on him. Just then 1speed zoomed up on his bike and initiated the Royal Accountant’s patented dismount sequence.
                      “Can I be of any assistance?” he asked. He then looked around at the jaffa on the ground.
                      “Uh, guess I’m a little late for the action”.

“Turn around”.
                      “Oh wonderful”, said Deepspace, putting her hands on her head. She turned slowly towards the jaffa who had walked into the entrance of the room.
                      “Silence, human!”
                      Behind the jaffa entered a goa’uld, dressed in the typical fashion of gold/tacky/overdonejewellery/glowyeyes/arrogant style.
                      “Kneel before your god.” snarled the jaffa. “I am Elektron, first prime of the system lord Atomn.”

Sally was trying to stop the mass panic as the shadow of the ha’tak encompassed the city. “Everyone try to stay calm.” “On second thoughts, scrap that order.” she yelled as the first blast hit the city walls, causing rubble to fall loose and the ground to shudder.
                      “Shall I start to evacuate people through the stargate?” called Uber over the noise.
                      “I’m not ready to give up on Samanda yet! Gateworld should be able to hold for a little longer.” called sally in reply. “Everyone pull back to the gateroom, we’ll try and hold out for as long as possible before dialling the alpha site.”
                      “Has anyone got a gate address for it anyway?”
                      Yes, its http://www.gateworldalphasite.com/

After the first blast Agent Dark’s vision began to focus from the blur of blackness. By the second hit he was up and running, following the Tok’ra Hostess through the Tok’ra tunnels beneath the Samandan military base.

Deepspace was being shoved along the corridor towards the Samandan ring platform.
                      “How many guesses where we’re going”, said Deepspace.
                      “Silence!”
                      “Ok, ok, just ease off on the shoving ok. I’m following.”
                      “Silence! before my master decides Not to keep you for interrogation.”
                      “Ooh, how lovely, goa’uld painsticks, ribbon devices, what fun”.
                      “I said, silence!”
                      The jaffa entered the code to activate the ring device, and they were transported aboard the Ha’tak mothership.

Agent Dark stopped by the armoury on the way and he and Gracie kitted up with Zats and Staff weapons.
                      “The military weapons are upstairs three levels. I wonder if Majorsam remembered to tell the Vice President where the military armoury was before she left. If not, we should inform her.” said Agent Dark.
                      “Meanwhile, I think we can exit out of these tunnels near the south gate, and then follow the city wall around until we get to the runway for the X-302’s.” replied the Tok’ra hostess. “If we can pilot one of them we should be able to whack a few holes in the side of that mothership.”

Majorsam and her team had eventually secured the ship, and Astro was working on the code for opening the door.
                      “NC”, yelled Coley through the hull. “Are you in there?”
                      A moment or two passed, and then a faint reply “Coley? Is that you? I’m in the cargo hold. Let me see if I can activate the door from in here.”

Sally was taking the moments between hits to try and think. They could hide in the Tok’ra tunnels, but if they collapsed, then they would be in trouble. But then again, if the roof of the great hall collapsed, then they would be in just as much trouble. She had absolutely no idea where to find weapons in this huge place, but even if she did, she doubted they’d do much good against an aerial attack from a goa’uld mothership, which meant they were still in trouble.
                      Jckfan, Strix and the other Samandans were pushing their way through the crowds of citizens who were huddled together in the gateroom, waiting for whatever was to happen next. She looked at these people and wondered how on or off earth she got landed with the responsibility of keeping them alive. One thing was clear… the kidnapping of the Wise Elder was a distraction so that the goa’uld could attack the city of Samanda. Which meant, that they were definitely all in big trouble.

I started writing this a long time ago now. I hope it’s not too doomsdayish, like discussion of season9. I would have liked to make it more humourous, but being funny and witty just doesn’t seem to come to me naturally. Also, I haven’t managed to write in everyone who posts here, so know that I didn’t want to leave any of you out, it’s just I could only keep track of a few separate storylines at a time. If you want to be in it, you could maybe continue the story?
                      Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      Great story, deepspace! Not funny? I cracked up at "Spaz who had been lurking...", and “I am Elektron, first prime of the system lord Atomn.” Keep it up if you can.

NC(apparently still in a cargo hold)
                      Deepspace! This is hilarious! And very clever and witty!
                      Love the way that you've integrated so much into the story...

Absolutely spectacular!
                      Can't wait for the next installment!
                      (hint, hint )

Definitely worthy of the Royal Order of the Blue Jello
                      - and a 5-jello rating!

Was trying to remember when you posted part 1 of this story (so we could post a link back to it for new folks), but the search feature is still disabled
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 April 2005, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                        This report builds upon the lead provided by sg-1fanintn and previous sightings of suspected Sam activity and possessions (see the links below)….

Naquada Problems

Cute Copter

One of the Samanda cub reporters set upon the path to answer Astrog’s question “Where’s that Cartercopter?”

After much research and sleuthing about there was a sighting of our Sam! She is indeed on a mission that is concealed from us. Her extraordinary naquada enhancement of the Cartercopter has proven more successful than her wildest dreams.

There is an unauthenticated report that this is just one of many far away sites she will visit before being called home. Journalistic ethics prevents the reporter from revealing sources of this scuttlebutt.

For more details on this amazing actual aircraft visit the following site.

Cartercopters
                        Yeehaw! Go Sam! Samfan scores!
                        Love the photoshopped Sam in the Cartercopter at the Alpha Site!

Definitely another great post worthy of the
                        Royal Order of the Photoshopped Blue Jello!

Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 April 2005, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Oh, oh. Will I won't I will I won't I. I was playing around with Paint shop Pro 5 today, figuring out some of the things it can do. I just chose to put together some of Astro's pictures because I had them saved to my hardrive. I don't want her to take this the wrong way though, especially as I plagued her with PM's today.
                          Wow! This is wonderful, deepspace! I love how you photoshopped and moved Sam and the fire (at the bottom of the collage) - and blowing up the sun at the top - it looks great! Also love the candle flame and the 'flame effect' around the center pic. I don't know how you folks make these collages come out looking so great (whenever I try, the results are horrid! - I 'overphotoshop' way too easily!).

Thanks again, deepspace - and ... wow!

Royal Order of the Photoshopped Blue Jello

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            I've never been a fan of this whole 'i'm omiscient but i can't do anything' angle of the ancients. I found daniel's first offer of help to jack in ascending to be so totally wrong...jack CAN'T have power and not use it. giving him the power of the Q and then telling him that he can't use it is a worse torture than what baal was doing to him.
                            Yeah, it was good drama, but for a character who knew jack so well, daniel sure made a bad choice of offers of help

I personally would have loved to have seen less of that and more of teal'c talking to Yu or Ohsu or them finagling a way to help jack
                            *Great* point about Jack becoming Ascended - he'd go nuts with that 'Thou Shalt Not Interfere' directive!

Comment

*gulp* I've started my first thread ever. It's either something that will work, or that will flop flat on its face. I need some support. Agent Dark? Uber? I know there are some Starbuckers here amongst us.

Starbuck (Kara Thrace) -- appreciation thread
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11687

--deepspace, worrying about whether she's done something horribly wrong.
                              I haven't seen any of the Battlestar Galactica episodes (don't get the scifi channel on our basic cable where I live ) - so I'll have to wait until they release it in syndication.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Originally posted by majorsal
                                Originally Posted by majorsal
                                while i was watching gemini, and thought (don't laugh) came to me...

spoilers for s8's gemini
                                Spoiler:

wouldn't it be neat that if they gave any of the characters their own spin-off series, it could be sam COMMANDING the alpha site?!?
                                I think there's a decent chance that's where she is at the beginning of season 9.
                                That would be a great storyline for Sam's absence!

Comment

Working...
                                X