Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamFan31
    Aahaa! This news bulletin it very revealing, even if they didn't want us to figure it out. However, we can put two and two together.

Somewhere, someplace Sam has a desk. And on that desk is the newest addition to her collectibles.

This new Cartercopter is critical to the protection and preservation of our world. It should be in combat shape by late summer, early fall.
    LOL, Samfan! What fun! <<<<APPLAUSE>>>>
    (click to listen)

It would be such fun to see that model on Sam's desk - but even more fun for her to design some new ship and then be out test flying it!

What great fun, Samfam - thanks for the smile on my face!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      Sorry! Sorry! I didn't mean to infer, in my post, that anyone here was bashing Sam/AT. I seroously doubt that could happen here in Samanda.

But there is some bashing going on - of TPTB, the new, and even the established actors.

We love AT and the Sam character. But what helps make her great? IMHO, it's the stories and her fellow actors. AT doen't write the stories, she interprets the part her character plays in them. One thing AT is especially good at is interpreting her role as part of a whole, truly supporting whoever's front and center, slightly left of center and whoever's way out in right field. I firmly believe that no matter what role Sam is assigned, AT will continue to play her brilliantly.

I also love MS and the Daniel character, and I'm okay with his fav eps being the ones he stars in. I admire the PTB for creating such rich characters and settings and situations that, despite their flaws, have entertained us for going on nine seasons, now. As to the new cast members, they're new to Stargate; they may surprise us. Let's welcome them and give them time to grow into their roles.

TPTB have had a lot of difficult things to deal with - writing for two distinct series, RDA gone, AT taking a temporary leave, Sony buying out TPTB's PTB, getting used to new cast members - in both series, and gawd only knows what other considerations that we'll never hear about.

I think that if we set ourselves up for disappointment then we will not be disappointed... er... I mean, we will get what we wanted... get what we didn't want... get disappointed(.... getting confused? I sure am. ).

So, hugs to all, be of good cheer, and just remember, "when your back's up against the wall and there's no
      tomorrow, just take one day at a time, and remember the bigger they are, etcetera."
      Wonderful post, TH!

Comment

i FINALLY got Gemini!!

there was a very small moment when the ep returned after a commercial break and it cut off a couple of words of jack's *grumble*, BUT, i could figure out what he said because of the rest of his sentence. so, i finally have this great ep on tape!

sally, who thinks comcast is run by goauld and scifi and mgm are in league together to make us buy the dvds....
        sally

sigpic

Comment

while i was watching gemini, and thought (don't laugh) came to me...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:
          wouldn't it be neat that if they gave any of the characters their own spin-off series, it could be sam COMMANDING the alpha site?!?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            Originally posted by myrth
            As for Sam.. to be a little deeper on that.... there's the role model aspect, who wouldn't wanna be Sam Carter? She's a genius, in control of herself and has a seriously cool job. I've loved watching her growth over the years and I do see the importance and relevance to her as a person in the last couple of seasons. I love that she has failings and questions herself like anyone else.. there's a realism factor there for me. But I also love her from a fic writing perspective too.. there's such great depth in the character the possiblities are endless.... it's a joy to try to get inside her head.
            that is so much of what it is for me too. for that one hour of tv, i'm living through sam with all of us. i might have my crushes (Richard-hunkofburninglove-Anderson), but without a female to relate to, it's just drooling without anything else. i knew by the third ep of this series that sam was my fave, so it's made ALL the difference in the world for me with this show. it's the defining factor. look at all the things i've got to do because of sam... travel through the stargate, fight off aliens, build naquada reactors, rescue my friends/teammates, fall in love, save my father's life, travel in space, fly a space ship, meet alien life forms, save the planet, save the galaxy, save the universe.... i've lived so many wonderful adventures, and suffered so many losses, but i've done it all with grace and perseverance. i'm sam carter, and i wouldn't have it any other way. THANK YOU, AMANDA!
            sally
            Five-star post, Sally! (and I love the drooling part! )

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee

(snip)

I think that Carter, if TPTB write it properly can make an impact far more than what TPTB have written for her charcater so far. Sorry am rambling now...will stop.
              *totally* agree!

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                Oh please, please, please, please. This is a great story! I found a cached copy of it on Google (apparently it was in the Heliopolis archive at some point) but the ending is missing!
                i'll send it to you via email, strix.

sally

(edited to add... i need your email addy . email me at [email protected] and i'll just reply with the attachment)
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I'm sorry. I have to make this comment because I find this Sky's comment so confusing. This is not to be an attack on Sky in any way. I'm very curious because this is not the first time I've seen someone make a comment like this regarding Abyss. It seems as if many people have issues regarding this episode because it was so violent. I have to admit this is one of my all-time favorite episodes. I've probably watched it a half dozen times if not more. I can watch it over and over and never tire. The script was wonderful, the set was fantastic, and the acting was brilliant by everyone involved. That and Jack does pain oh so well.

The thing most confusing is when I hear someone from this thread say I'm a wuss regarding this type of episode, because most of us seem to have heart pulpulations anytime Sam is whumped in fanfic. Can I just ask how this is any different? I understand that it may be because it's much more real on-screen perhaps?? Much more violent than most people could/would imagine on their own?

I must be an odd one here because part of the reason I don't read as much whumping stories as I would like is due to the fact that most things I see on Stargate are much more tame than what my imagination sees when I'm actually reading fanfic. I think that's why I love reading so much because everthing is so much more vivid in my own mind than it could ever be on television.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. It's just been a question that's been stirring around my brain for quite some time now and I figured I'd use Sky's post as a means to bring it up.

Kat
                  i don't like abyss because i'm in love with jack/rda, and i don't like seeing such horribleness happen to him. i could actually handle it with sam, though, and i think it's because it's ME that it's happening to as well... does that make sense? but here's another oddity... i can handle jack death fics, but i can NOT handle it with sam, so... i'm nuts.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    My hopes for Sam in season9? Well, for one, that she’s actually in it as more than just a backround character. I would like them to spend more time on her being a scientist, a bright sparky brainy Sam. Being the leader of SG1 would be great, she really deserves it. Nomatter how fantastic it would be, I don’t see them putting her in the pilot seat. They’ve really not shown her as a pilot that much recently, except in Covenant. I’d like them to move her out of the boyfriend phase for a while. Whatever, I want it to be something that Amanda wants to do.
                    Great post, deepspace! I downloaded and archived your Season 9 Sam-hopes into the growing summary file.

(Astrog: Note To Self... must work on deepspace seeing Astronaut Sam and Pilot Sam...hmmm... Where's that Cartercopter...? )
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 29 April 2005, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Keeper, can I ask what screencap program you use? You told me once before, but with the absence of the search option in this thread, I have no idea any more. I am looking at this site to try and find some freeware to download.
                      http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html
                      I use MS IntervideoDVD software (it came bundled free with the basic software on my HP laptop).

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      Astrogeologist: As a geologist, I've studied earthquakes and volcanoes and tsunamis and landslides and floods and ... rocks of course... and yet, I am always in awe of pictures of the Earth from space. It's awe-inspiring and... It's Beautiful!
                      I totally agree. In some ways I think a lot of people take it for granted. The image of the earth from space has become so commonplace that I find myself sometimes just looking at it, and thinking to myself, we’ve forgotten how beautiful it is. I mean, if you look at it next to any other planet in this solarsystem, it truly is beauty of the most intense kind. I am adding this picture thumbnail. I hope I don’t get into trouble, because I truly do not know which site I pinched it from now, but it has been my computer desktop wallpaper for over a year now.
                      Great pic, deepspace! Beautiful shot of Earth.

This NASA website has some great photos of Earth from space
                      http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/th...humbnails.html

This is also a great site, but you have to troll for the Earth pics (they are mixed in with other 'space pics' - but most of those are great too)
                      http://www.webshots.com/g/56.html

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        can you tell me what the summeries are? i have so many fics piled up as it is (i'm on about five fic lists), that i just want to know what i'm getting into.

okay, i have some fics to recommend myself. these are all sam/jack, but the main focus is sam whumpage.

'prisoners of war', by arrietty
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/29/prisonersof.html

'prisoners of fear', by wendy gilliatt
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/83/prisonersof.html

'PoW', by kat h.
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/24/pow.html

'POW, to live again', by kat h.
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/37/powto.html

*warning - super tear jerker*
                        'alone', by alicat
                        http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/66/alone.html

'blinking', by Suz
                        http://suzvoy.tripod.com/sj/blinking.html

'broken', by sharim
                        http://www.samandjack.net/stories/sj.../shbroken.html

I can't find the link for a fic called 'blindfold', by michelle mcardle. it's about sam being blinded. i've got it on my hard drive it anyone wants it.

'leaving the lights on', by alli snow
                        http://www.samandjack.net/stories/sj...elightson.html

I have two fics on hard drive that i can't find on the web. they're called:
                        'ww3 1 - active duty' and 'ww3 2 - 'bathurst', by vanessa nichols. if you want to read them, let me know.

i haven't read them in a while, but i know i enjoyed them a lot.

sally
                        Great fic list, Sally - I bookmarked it!

Comment

Originally posted by lantesh_luster
                          Back to Sam...

She's the main reason I watch Stargate. Always has been, always will be. I loved her in the first six seasons. Not so much in the last two. So everyone knows - I'm not a S/J shipper. I didn't hate Pete, but didn't much care for him either. I think Sam as a character has suffered in the last two years with a little too much emphasis on who she's dating or not dating.

[...]

What I'd also like in season nine is for her to continue leading the team. I'd hate to see it taken away from her - and I won't watch if it is - it would be career ending for her, and what a slap in the face. She makes mistakes, so what? Like Jack was perfect as a leader. I don't want to see her relegated to her lab all the time. I want to see the combination of soldier and scientist that worked perfectly in the first 6 seasons. Sure, let her have a personal life, but for goodness sake, it doesn't need to be the single focus of her character for episodes at a time, or the sole purpose for her existence on the show. And lately, it certainly seems that way (at least part of the time).

I like Sam... season eight had it's ups and downs, but given a little focussed time with Sam actually leading SG-1 on missions, it'll be great.

LL
                          Welcome aboard lantesh_luster! If you haven't already seen it there's an Ultimate Sam Episode Summary Poll and Comment Highlight list on thread page 277 (scroll down for the summary comments from folks on this thread). You'll also find links to other thread posts that have great Sam pics, audio clips, quotes, dialogue excerpts, etc. Lots of fun!

And here's some Welcome Aboard Royal Blue Jello

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                            I don't see how Carter could *not* be leading the team when she comes back... it's been her team for a year. In the scope of fairness.. it would be incredibly unfair to expect her to be a part of it and not be leading it. Can't wait to see how they handle it, but it would have to be a damn convincing reason for her not to be in charge... ie she doesn't want to be. "Oh we promised this guy" just wouldn't cut it....

What I'd really love to see in s9 is Sam's darker side explored more. I was reading the other day an old interview with Amanda where she was talking about writing an ep. The ep focussed on Sam dealing with killing people and how she handles it. Shame it never saw the light of day....

I'd love to see her end up in a situation that she can't fix, that shows off her darker impulses.. just for contrast. One of those deals where she has to hurt people as part of the process and how she deals with that as a leader, a soldier and a human being. Sam has the strength and capacity to lead... to be a great leader.. but I don't think we've ever truly seen how she deals with the dirty side of what that can entail.... I think it would be fun to see those elements of Carter challenged.

But that's just me.. and I'm writing a fic that does exactly that...

Can't wait to read that fic Myrth! Please post a link to it on the thread when you get the fic posted

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                              I don't see how Carter could *not* be leading the team when she comes back... it's been her team for a year. In the scope of fairness.. it would be incredibly unfair to expect her to be a part of it and not be leading it. Can't wait to see how they handle it, but it would have to be a damn convincing reason for her not to be in charge... ie she doesn't want to be. "Oh we promised this guy" just wouldn't cut it....

What I'd really love to see in s9 is Sam's darker side explored more. I was reading the other day an old interview with Amanda where she was talking about writing an ep. The ep focussed on Sam dealing with killing people and how she handles it. Shame it never saw the light of day....

I'd love to see her end up in a situation that she can't fix, that shows off her darker impulses.. just for contrast. One of those deals where she has to hurt people as part of the process and how she deals with that as a leader, a soldier and a human being. Sam has the strength and capacity to lead... to be a great leader.. but I don't think we've ever truly seen how she deals with the dirty side of what that can entail.... I think it would be fun to see those elements of Carter challenged.

But that's just me.. and I'm writing a fic that does exactly that...

I've thought it would be cool to have a story where Sam had to be a sniper - she's a great shot, but she doesn't have the sniper's mentality. I'd love to see a show where circumstances get altered in the field and she has to step in and 'take the shot' that some other soldier (a hardened sniper) was supposed to do (say... the sniper gets injured or killed)...

Then I'd love to see the rest of the episode as Sam tries to deal with what she had to do. She's *not* a Black Ops trained soldier - and would never want to be... but in the field, she usually steps up and does what needs to be done. I think it would make a great episode to see her dealing with what she had to do. Teal'c could counsel her as to the necessity of what she had to do... Daniel... could act shocked... or speechless... or some such... and that would just underline what she'd done for her....

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                hey, look, it's sam fic
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~leptopus/id13.html

and by an author who's new to me
                                Thanks for the link, Sky - the fic has a great intro (Sam and Teal'c... )... hopefully, I'll have time to read the rest of the fic tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X