Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Great pics, Samfan! I *really* love that one of Sam and Jacob - what episode is it from?
    It's from The Tok'Ra. I found it on amandatapping.com.
    Jacob and Sam

Thanks for the compliments on the Sam and the Guys collage.
    Sam and the Guys

It was done so long ago I would probably do it differently today. I imagine that might be like the writers... you can look back and think of different ways to do things, but at some point it's 'cut and print' (since you are the director after all), time to move on to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Just piggybacking onto Strix's post here ... Astro ... if it isn't there yet, can you add to the Ultimate Sam episode summary for Sam's funniest line:

"You gave up coffee for your symbiote?" I always loved that moment of truth between Sam and her father in the lab at the Alpha site in the beginning of Death Knell. She could really tell he was getting on her case and definitely on edge!
      It's on my list, Chopingal! And that was a *great* line - and AT played it so well... she's such a fantastic actress!

Perhaps Sam should have suggested Blue Jello instead of coffee? No caffeine, but...at least there's always blue jello, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        I just found another excerpt from the Illustrated Companion 1-2 that I really liked regarding AT and thought I'd share it with those of you who haven't had a chance to read it yourself yet.

This is Brad Wright and Johnathan Glassner talkinga bout their initial search for actors to portray Teal'c, Daniel and Sam. This is what they had to say about AT and Sam.

Brad Wright maintains he and Glassner were insistent from the start that Amanda Tapping was the woman for the job of breathing life into Samantha Carter: "We had a massive hunt for this cast but really, really wanted Amanda for the role." Their enthusiasm was not met with unanimous approval at first, but within five episodes, Tapping's determined portrayal of, as she puts it, "a scientist smack in the middle of an adventureous boys' club" recieved an overwhelming vote of confidence from all concerned. Glassner smiles, "We got a call saying. 'OK, guys you were right. We would have been in trouble if we had cast anyone else for that part.'"

I think we'd all agree with that last statment!
        Kat
        Oh, I just loved reading that Kat! So great to hear that AT's respected and admired by her peers and colleagues - and that they recognize how special she is!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Right now the season is just starting, they may have finished filming a few episodes by now, but I seriously doubt they have finished editing them completely. Why wouldn't anyone come out and say this is going to be their best year ever? That's like a football or baseball team saying on the first day of practice...'We know we aren't going to win the Super Bowl/World Series, but if we can suck more money out of the fans for another year that's what we're gonna do.

I don't necessarily agree with MS views about PU, but maybe it's been his most fun episode to work on for a long time.

I think this year is a bit of a double edged sword for the cast and crew of Stargate. This is the year where they finally find out if RDA really held things together. We all want to know we can make it on our own without someone else holding us up. It's obvious the cast has gotten along phenomenally over the past eight years, but I'm sure the past three years have been very
          challenging for everyone involved with the show. MS saying this is the happiest season ever, may just be him expressing his joy to be back on a normal work schedule without the juggling of filming episodes, ect. I seriously doubt it was meant to be disrespectful to RDA (from everything I have read, MS and RDA have a great respect for one another and I seriously doubt he would do or say anything to belittle that relationship).

Don't let yourselves get too discouraged. We've only got a few more months to go until the season starts up again and a month or so after that until we see our Sam back in action. Think positive thoughts.

Sam will be back soon. Sam will be in charge of SG-1. Sam will lead numerous off-world missions. Sam will save the day just like she always does.

Come on people, I can't hear you!!!

Kat
          Kudos, Kat.

Can I be up front with you, folks? Of course I can.

I don't read spoilers anymore, so I don't know much beyond what's given away in the headlines at Gateworld and here in thread titles. I try not to read posts containing fan's assumptions about what the spoilers mean, mostly because of the natural fan tendancy to see gloom and doom and also because 99.9% of the time fan's assumptions are proved wrong - IMO. In the end, all that negative vibe turns out to be, again, IMO, much ado about nothing.

This is almost the only thread I read on the Forum, these days(business keeps me away) but I'm somewhat uncomfortable by the tone, of late. It reminds me of a Delphi group I used to belong to that once considered itself a bastion of the SG-1 team spirit, but degraded into a forum for Sam bashing - there've been a few such places, as we all know. But, ya see, the thing is, I'm starting to get somewhat similar negative vibes here.

Is it just me?
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            gateworld (and then my computer) keeps going wiggy on me, so here's me popping in again with a...

CAPTION THIS!

sally
            Two flys talking: Wowza! You were right, this is the best wall in town!
            Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
              You want me to pull a sword out of a stone????
              <snort!> Agh! And I just bought this keyboard!
              LOL! Ow, my aching ribs!
              Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                yep. (nodding along with gracie's post)

Sam is a manipulator. and i don't mean that in a bad way. we all do it. we know how to ask the hubby to take out the trash in such a way that he'll do it instead of whine and complain. we know which fellow employee we can bluntly ask to do something, and which one needs to be patted on the back first to get them in an agreeable mood

we've seen sam manipulate folks. she did it in forsaken, her chatting up Aiden. she knows that all she needs to say is 'colonel/jack please' or 'teal'c, please' and the boys will know that what she's asking IS important.

she knows how to technobabble a superior into submission and get him to ok something.

replicarter took sam's manipulative powers (which sam does normally use for good) and used them against sam and teal'c. Like gracie said, she knew jsut what to say and how to say it to play on both of them to get what she wanted.
                There's a great moment at the beginning of New Order that illustrates this point perfectly I think.

Weir denied Sam and the others a chance to use the modified Goa'uld cargo ship to contact the Asgard as a means of rescuing Jack...but Sam was not satisfied (of course) with Weir's "request denied."

So she visited Weir later on to "help" her see things differently:

WEIR: What can I do for you, Major?
                SAM: I want you to reconsider my request.

WEIR: I'm sorry.

SAM: That cargo ship was modified using the knowledge of the Ancients. Now, there is no guarantee that anyone will ever be able to figure out how it was done.

WEIR: And as the most likely person on the planet to figure it out, are you saying that if I don't let you attempt to contact the Asgard, you won't even try?

SAM (smiling sarcastically AND NODDING): I would never say that.

Sam is an extremely savvy individual. She knows how to play the game. She knows how to push and when to push to get what she wants.

Last edited by Uber; 28 April 2005, 02:39 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  Kudos, Kat.

Can I be up front with you, folks? Of course I can.

I don't read spoilers anymore, so I don't know much beyond what's given away in the headlines at Gateworld and here in thread titles. I try not to read posts containing fan's assumptions about what the spoilers mean, mostly because of the natural fan tendancy to see gloom and doom and also because 99.9% of the time fan's assumptions are proved wrong - IMO. In the end, all that negative vibe turns out to be, again, IMO, much ado about nothing.

This is almost the only thread I read on the Forum, these days(business keeps me away) but I'm somewhat uncomfortable by the tone, of late. It reminds me of a Delphi group I used to belong to that once considered itself a bastion of the SG-1 team spirit, but degraded into a forum for Sam bashing - there've been a few such places, as we all know. But, ya see, the thing is, I'm starting to get somewhat similar negative vibes here.

Is it just me?
                  Yay, Gracie! I totally agree. It should be fun to speculate about next season, not a drag. The speculation for the last few days on this thread has been pretty gloomy. I know a lot of that is because of the lack of Sam in all the official hype for next season and because of the unfortunate wardrobe choice for Vala shown in the only picture we've seen of her, but, let's lighten up! Not that long ago, people were airing wonderful ideas about what Sam might do in season 9, and all of a sudden, it's been gloom and doom.

Realistically, Amanda hasn't started filming yet, and hasn't been on set much, so it's not really surprising that we haven't heard a lot about her or Sam. They can't release episode pictures with Sam in them when they haven't been shot. And in terms of information about what Sam's role will be when she comes back, we all know how close-mouthed TPTB are when it comes to hints about upcoming episodes, and I for one am starting to appreciate that. I've decided to avoid spoilers as much as possible next season. I don't mind general descriptions of an episode, but I enjoy the show more when they manage to surprise me, even just a little. It's good to be able to say, "Whoa, I didn't see that coming." So I'm not going to complain that they aren't telling me now what Sam's up to while her teammates are either playing with Vala or rallying the free Jaffa ,and the new boy is feeling up the Stargate.

It's hard to wait until August or whenever she comes back, but I'm going to have faith that it's going to be good when she does and the anticipation will only make her return even sweeter.

So, after that rant, here's my contribution to positive speculation about next season. In one of the trailers for next season, isn't Cam is trying to convince Daniel to come back to SG1, and says something like I wanted to learn from the best? I'm going to view that as a sign that first of all Daniel didn't want to be on the team without Sam; and second, that Cam recognizes SG1 as the best team, which seems to be an indication of respect for Sam as their leader.

NC

Comment

Here are some additional stories in which Sam gets whumped. I'd have even more except I can't seem to just scan Denise's stories for whumping sections... she sucks me in every time, and I have to read the whole thing...

Blackened by Eve
                    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...blackened.html

New Beginnings by PZawadzki
                    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...ginnings2.html

Leeway by PZawadzki
                    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/23/leeway.html

Nothin’ Ever Happens Around Here by PZawadzki
                    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...othinever.html

Intrusion by Julia Reynolds
                    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/11/intrusion.html

Relationships by Gen Varel
                    http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts...page&pageid=47

Relationships, part 3 by Gen Varel
                    http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts...page&pageid=49

A is for Assassin by Denise
                    http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver11...e/assassin.htm

Carpe Diem by Denise
                    http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver11.../carpediem.htm

Covenant by Denise
                    http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver11...e/covenant.htm

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      Sam is a manipulator. and i don't mean that in a bad way. we all do it.
                      I actually think that Sam isn't usually a manipulator - that's why when she does it, it stands out - it's out of character for how she normally behaves. Jack, on the other hand, I can *so* seeing openly manipulating people to get things to work the way he wants. He wouldn't even try to downplay it - he'd be in there face, pointing out what he was doing at the same time that he was pointing out how he'd made sure that they had no other way to do things - no other way but his (I'm envisioning Jack dealing with 'arm chair brass or someone of Kinsey's ilk... or a Goa'uld or some such).
                      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      There's a great moment at the beginning of New Order that illustrates this point perfectly I think.

Weir denied Sam and the others a chance to use the modified Goa'uld cargo ship to contact the Asgard as a means of rescuing Jack...but Sam was not satisfied (of course) with Weir's "request denied."

So she visited Weir later on to "help" her see things differently:

WEIR: What can I do for you, Major?
                      SAM: I want you to reconsider my request.

WEIR: I'm sorry.

SAM: That cargo ship was modified using the knowledge of the Ancients. Now, there is no guarantee that anyone will ever be able to figure out how it was done.

WEIR: And as the most likely person on the planet to figure it out, are you saying that if I don't let you attempt to contact the Asgard, you won't even try?

SAM (smiling sarcastically AND NODDING): I would never say that.

Sam is an extremely savvy individual. She knows how to play the game. She knows how to push and when to push to get what she wants.

Great pics and dialogue, Uber! It was such fun to see Sam in this scene... love the 'am going to do what I need to do for my teammate' - and am certainly not going to stop trying just because you said no the first time.

Comment

I may be contributing to the negative vibes here (I actually thought, as I wrote a few of my lasts posts, that they were awfully negative but went ahead anyway and probably shouldn't have but I am in that place of disappointment and negative vibes about TPTB, the direction of the show in general, etc., and that just reflects in my posts), therefore, for the sake of those here, as I am becoming more and more cynical as time goes and my disappointment does not dissipate, I will back away and see where it goes . . . .

I hope no one has taken anything I said as bashing Carter - I do not intend to bash this character as I believe Carter is one of the best female characters we have seen on TV in a long time and I hope that TPTB do the right thing by Carter/AT, and all of her/their loyal, wonderful fans, in S9.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          Oh Yea Times

Written by Coley and Contributions from ChopinGal. Edited, and wisely censored by ChopinGal

Coping with Denial – By Jcfan – the intermittent SAGCT poster bears her soul on coping day-to-day with constant cravings for the SAGCT.
                          Great edition. And I must say, you've got my number.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                            Well, I don't know if they will make a big deal about her return to the series, but she has already visited the set with Olivia and everyone was literally falling over themselves over Amanda and the baby. A little birdie told me that AT is breast (can I say that?) feeding and as a result, her already well endowed figure, is even more, shall we say, well endowed. As a joke, while everyone was cooing over Olivia, she asked why no one was cooing over her, well you know what....... There is more to the story, but I think it might get R rated, so I better stop. I will say, that is one lucky baby!
                            You have an inside source??!? You can't just leave it at that, tell us more!!!
                            PM me if you think it's too naughty for the forums

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              my thought on reading about TG at AT's house is that we will eventually see an article about AT and her rejoining the show and about her time off and about the new baby and maybe even get a pic of the baby out of it.
                              I doubt we'll see the baby. Stars like to protect their kids from obsessed fans and all. (*We're* not obsessed, just *very* enthusiastic and supportive.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

Is it just me?
                                I dunno about everyone else, but I for one am looking forward to Sam's return in Season9. Based on spoilers I've heard so far, I think they've got a pretty cool reason why Sam is absent for the start
                                Spoiler:
                                Off working with the Asgard, IMO

Can't wait for season9 Sam Carter!

Comment

Working...
                                X