Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Great post, Strix. Right after I saw Gemini (when it first aired here in the US), I felt much the same way - and I posted this on the Gemini episode thread:After some time passed, however, I found myself feeling that Gemini had a huge hole in it... it felt unfinished and lacking the proper ending... In other words, Sam was human and she took a risk and she trusted. We reap great rewards when we take those kinds of leaps in life. But we also take the risk of looking collossally stupid if our trust turns out to be misplaced and abused. So Sam ended up looking less than brilliant when it became clear that RepliCarter had been lying. And I am OK with all of that.. - it adds dimension to her character and drama to the show.... but here's what that episode was missing - the opportunity for Sam to learn what was going on, deal with the disappointment and pain of having her trust abused - and then getting a chance to deal with RepliCarter. While the ending may have been 'real' - it wasn't much fun to watch - and I watch Stargate for fun.

I can handle having my heroes make mistakes, but I want - no I need - my fictional heroes to pick themselves up and then go and kick bad-guy butt!

Now, Sam is my favorite character, but I am still disappointed that we didn't get to see her struggling with the realization that RC was lying (all we got was a few minutes at the end while RC was escaping and then some Sam sulking while she was looking down the microscope after RC left)... and we definitely didn't get to see Sam kick RC's butt! Or even better - I wanted her to take RC on in that 'mental arena' - take RC on and tie her replicated brain in knots!

Maybe there is still a chance that Sam will get to do that, if they invent a way to bring Replicarter back. Or maybe Daniel vs. RC was the end of it.

As it stands now, however, it leaves me with the ashy taste of unfinished business for our hero Sam.
    Hey Astro, wonderful post! I see we reacted very similarly to the ep, so I feel somewhat validated in my opinions.

If you think it's appropriate, can I ask a favor of you? Could you add my comments to the season 8 summary compilation?

And... you seem to have lost a third of your signature pic....

Hugs,
    Strix

My LJ

Comment

Just piggybacking onto Strix's post here ... Astro ... if it isn't there yet, can you add to the Ultimate Sam episode summary for Sam's funniest line:

"You gave up coffee for your symbiote?" I always loved that moment of truth between Sam and her father in the lab at the Alpha site in the beginning of Death Knell. She could really tell he was getting on her case and definitely on edge!

Comment

I just found another excerpt from the Illustrated Companion 1-2 that I really liked regarding AT and thought I'd share it with those of you who haven't had a chance to read it yourself yet.

This is Brad Wright and Johnathan Glassner talkinga bout their initial search for actors to portray Teal'c, Daniel and Sam. This is what they had to say about AT and Sam.

Brad Wright maintains he and Glassner were insistent from the start that Amanda Tapping was the woman for the job of breathing life into Samantha Carter: "We had a massive hunt for this cast but really, really wanted Amanda for the role." Their enthusiasm was not met with unanimous approval at first, but within five episodes, Tapping's determined portrayal of, as she puts it, "a scientist smack in the middle of an adventureous boys' club" recieved an overwhelming vote of confidence from all concerned. Glassner smiles, "We got a call saying. 'OK, guys you were right. We would have been in trouble if we had cast anyone else for that part.'"

I think we'd all agree with that last statment!
        Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I think back to several examples of her being empathetic.

In Urgo,
          In Entity

Replicarter knew these things about Sam.
          And she knew how to manipulate Sam by bringing up memories special to her:

Sam's not stupid nor is she naive; but because Replicarter knew everything about Sam and what made her tick...it was very easy for her to trick her by using one of her strengths - her empathetic nature - against her.
          I totally agree with your whole line of reasoning, ÜberSG-1Fan. I would add that RepSam also knew exactly when her story seemed to be getting thin with Real Sam, at which point she'd edge Real Sam off-balance with thinly veiled accusations; lines like: "Fifth kept (the cypher) from me because he was beginning to sense that I might betray him. I was too much like you."

RepSam also used the fear of imminent attack - saying that Fifth's fleet was two hours away from them, then arranging for Fifth to "show up" ahead of schedule. These add up to some huge distractions, making it pretty much impossible to be objective.

Teal'c has demonstrated in the past that when he decides to do something no one - not Sam, and not even Jack - will stop him(Hathor, Exodus). But even Teal'c wasn't totally unaffected by RepSam's reasonings, having been mind-probed himself, in Unnatural Selection. His fear and revulsion of the replicators would have made him want to see them all destroyed, and RepSam seemed the best means to accomplish that.

I honestly don't know who Jack could've sent, on such short notice, who could have cooly, objectively evaluated the situation, and would have the authority to usurp a Lt Colonel's orders.

Considering the messes American real life leaders have gotten themselves into (Vietnam, and the firebombing of Cambodia spring to mind ) and considering that these fiascoes occured over a long period of time and after much deliberation and having to go through many, many links in the chain of command, I don't see how anyone can fault Jack, Sam or Teal'c for how they proceeded with RepSam.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

yep. (nodding along with gracie's post)

Sam is a manipulator. and i don't mean that in a bad way. we all do it. we know how to ask the hubby to take out the trash in such a way that he'll do it instead of whine and complain. we know which fellow employee we can bluntly ask to do something, and which one needs to be patted on the back first to get them in an agreeable mood

we've seen sam manipulate folks. she did it in forsaken, her chatting up Aiden. she knows that all she needs to say is 'colonel/jack please' or 'teal'c, please' and the boys will know that what she's asking IS important.

she knows how to technobabble a superior into submission and get him to ok something.

replicarter took sam's manipulative powers (which sam does normally use for good) and used them against sam and teal'c. Like gracie said, she knew jsut what to say and how to say it to play on both of them to get what she wanted.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
              Okay you asked for it

Amanda: Prometheus Unbound?!? Really? Chris is not happy

Michael: Boy am I in trouble for that comment!

LOL - great pics, tsaxlady!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                gateworld (and then my computer) keeps going wiggy on me, so here's me popping in again with a...

CAPTION THIS!

sally
                Great pic to post, Sally! And you didn't ask what episode... and I know that it easy... which is why I know it
                Spoiler:
                Ascencion
                Love the expression on AT's face...

Comment

i'm hoping for that too. but the thing with enticing the audience like that is that it can come back to bite you in the butt. i think releasing some spoilers, at least one tid-bit, would do a LOT for the sam fans to keep their enthusiasm up. this reminds me so much of what shippers go through that i can't understand why it's being done to the sam fans as well. where's the logic?

my biggest hope, besides some awesome stuff for sam in season 9, is that her return is made a big deal. and i'm talking about the character *and* the actresss. but now would be a good time to start letting the sam fans have something to celebrate.

sally
                  Well, I don't know if they will make a big deal about her return to the series, but she has already visited the set with Olivia and everyone was literally falling over themselves over Amanda and the baby. A little birdie told me that AT is breast (can I say that?) feeding and as a result, her already well endowed figure, is even more, shall we say, well endowed. As a joke, while everyone was cooing over Olivia, she asked why no one was cooing over her, well you know what....... There is more to the story, but I think it might get R rated, so I better stop. I will say, that is one lucky baby!
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                    Here are a couple of pics. MajorSal, you are so right about the "soul" in her eyes. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true... "In My Daughter's Eyes" was playing on the radio when I was messing around with the Jacob/Sam pic! Spooky...

I love the expression on both their faces.

Again, great eyes and just a hint of a smile.

Edit: Oops, sorry these are so big. Next time I'll downsize.
                    Great pics, Samfan! I *really* love that one of Sam and Jacob - what episode is it from?

Comment

You want me to pull a sword out of a stone????
                      ROTFLOL!

Comment

Astro requested more pics and stuff. So here is a team collage I did a while back. It was done pre-Samanda days so it's not dominated by Sam.

Click on the link below

Sam and the Guys
                        Great desktop collage, Samfan! It's SG-1 through the years, and I like the shot in the center where they are all heading through the gate. Great team pics! You folks are continuously blowing me away with your photoshopping skills and talents!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          You've said it well Keeper. As much as we all adore our Queen, the role of Sam Carter may have to change (less filming time, less energy, possibly less enthusiasm for what she has been doing for the past eight years, more hearth and home with Alan and Olivia, more development in other professional areas which may be easier to accomplish around a baby: writing for example and producing).

Of course, we can't speak for AT but her voice has been silent for some time now and that leads me to believe that she, herself, is beginning a period of transition. I think, like any new mother, she is finding a whole new world in the eyes of her child and the change in daily routine. Then, as much as we think she's superwoman, she has to be boggled and a bit anxious about how she will juggle all the many new demands on her time and energy: motherhood; returning to set; memorizing lines; in early for prep and makeup; filming all day; babysitters; bonding time with baby; exercise and fitness; time with husband and family off set, etc.

It is quite possible that all the things and annoyances that the fans are fixating on and raving about are not even on Amanda's event horizon at the moment. She is a professional and will honor her contract, I'm sure. What we know of her seems to point to her not letting the fans down for S9. However, if the writers and TPTB let Amanda down by producing shoddy material and arcs, then that's another issue.

It would be great to have our Sam redeemed and shown in the best possible light in S9. And, if AT then decides to leave, the character dies a graceful death (figuratively, not literally I hope). She will be remembered as one of the most solidly portrayed scifi women in the genre.

As a veteran actress on this series, Amanda deserves that kind of respect. Let's just hope she gets it!
                          Spectacular post, Chopingal!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Our Royal Editor (Coley) has published an article in Oh Yea Times telling us of the rampant epidemic that seems to be affecting the local citizenry: the dreaded SDS - Stargate Deprivation Syndrome. In order to add to the remedy (plenty of sunshine, laughter, and positive thinking), let me share some quotations on the subject of stress and anxiety:

"The chief cause of stress is reality." Lily Tomlin

"I read this article. It said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, smoking too much, impulse buying and driving too fast. Are they kidding? This is my idea of a great day!" Monica Piper

"Stress - that confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the living $@#!& out of some idiot who desperately needs it." Office Sign

"Nothing erases unpleasant thoughts more effectively than conscious concentration on pleasant ones." Hans Selye

"If you can't help it, don't think about it." Carmel Myers

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its joy." Anonymous

"Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow." Swedish Saying

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it falls due." Dean Inge

"You'll have a better day if you think about where you're going than what's stuck to the bottom of your shoes." Tammy Hansen Gilbert

"There are two days about which nobody should ever worry, and these are yesterday and tomorrow." Robert J. Burdette

And, my favorites, the words of two elder statesmen:

When I look back on all the worries
                            I remember the story of the old man
                            who said on his deathbed
                            that he had a lot of trouble in his life,
                            most of which never happened.

Winston Churchill

What we anticipate seldom occurs;
                            what we least expected generally happens.

Benjamin Disraeli

Yeah, a bit pollyannish, perhaps, but there's been so much downward energy in Samanda lately that I think we need an infusion of positive spirits ... speaking of which, I think I'll wander over to the Royal Liquor Cabinet and see if there's any sloe gin available.

Then I'll reread the back issues of Oh Yea Times ....

Peace and here's to the "least expected" for S9!
                            Chopingal - I always love your quotes! Thanks so much for posting them

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              This is only one instance where I have read AT make comments about Entity, but it's the only one I can find at the moment...

Excerpt from Illustrated Companion 3-4:

Given her naturally bubbly nature, portraying a still, bed-ridden Carter was a major challenge for Amanda Tapping: "It was a really difficult episode for all sorts of reasons. First off it was so not Carter. This woman was so still and so angry and so dark. Considering I spent most of the time in bed, I was exhausted at the end of the episode. I had to book myself into a spa for a month to recover," she jokes.

"I also found it quite hard to buy into the story, and these are the times when as an actor you just have to acquiesce to your character and say, 'OK. I'll just have to become Carter 110 percent and react to this situation as she would without analysing it as Amanda.' You just have to relax and give everything over to your character. The beauty of it is having htis great challenge of playing a very different Carter. All I did was lie in bed twitching, or else I sat and stared at people the whole episode. It was terribly difficult." She winks, "You have no idea."

I'll look to see if I can find the other comments I've heard her make later.
                              Kat
                              I love the way that AT can mock herself - it shows that her ego does not overwhelm her sensibilities. I also love AT's sense of humor . Thanks for posting this quote for us, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Hey Astro, wonderful post! I see we reacted very similarly to the ep, so I feel somewhat validated in my opinions.

If you think it's appropriate, can I ask a favor of you? Could you add my comments to the season 8 summary compilation?

And... you seem to have lost a third of your signature pic....

Hugs,
                                Strix
                                Hi Strix! Sure, I'll add your comments (am making a list of things to be added, there's Coley's and Deepspace's and yours).

And, yes, I am sad about the cropping of my sig pic... but the Forum Moderator's message said that all sigs must be below 50K and less than 200 pixels high... Now mine was only 150 pix high, but it was 70-90K (can't remember exactly)... I played with converting it to a GIF to get it down below 50K, but it wasn't quite enough, so I cropped it a little and finally got it below 50K, but I didn't like the photo quality. Played around with lots of different options, but I eventually decided that I like the jpg quality... and ended up cropping the third panel off my pic (so sad to lost Sam's astronaut pic... and the geologist in me loved the shot looking back at the earth). Ah well... I still have Pilot!Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X