No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gateworld (and then my computer) keeps going wiggy on me, so here's me popping in again with a...

CAPTION THIS!

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      gateworld (and then my computer) keeps going wiggy on me, so here's me popping in again with a...

CAPTION THIS!

sally
      SAM (thinking to self): I can't believe the powers that be are pairing me up with yet another guy who won't make it to the closing credits...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Here are a couple of pics. MajorSal, you are so right about the "soul" in her eyes. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true... "In My Daughter's Eyes" was playing on the radio when I was messing around with the Jacob/Sam pic! Spooky...

I love the expression on both their faces.

Again, great eyes and just a hint of a smile.

Edit: Oops, sorry these are so big. Next time I'll downsize.
        Last edited by SamFan31; 28 April 2005, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Barrett? Barrett?!?! How 'bout somebody she's got chemistry with? Like that intense bundle of testosterone, Major Davis? (Even if AT seems to have the most sparkage with actors who are somewhat—and intriguingly—androgynous: J.R. Bourne, Sean Patrick Flannery, Garwin Sanford.) Besides, Colin Cunningham hasn't been on the show nearly enough of late. Loath as I am to encourage further shipping, if Sam/Davis is what it takes to head off Sam/Barrett at the pass, I'm all for it.
          1. Try to shore up the cast with favorite actors from the same genre;
          2. Pander to the easiest-to-retain demographic (18-25-year-old males) by selling with sex;
          3. Talk at every opportunity I could about how great the new season was going to be and
          4. Keep the dedicated fan base guessing about the fate of the beloved (and missing) characters.
          That sounds exactly like the plan, although it doesn't appear to be working ... yet. I only hang around in a few threads. Is S9 being better received in other parts of the fandom? Because almost the only thing I've heard resembling enthusiasm about the S9 storylines is, "Let's give them the benefit of the doubt." Whoa, Nellie! There's a ringing endorsement for you.

Carter Dialogue We'd Like to Hear: "Mark, you know that Shanahan loser you fixed me up with? Well, let me put it this way: You can forget about having any more guest shots on the show. And don't even think about calling Mallozzi."

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

CAPTION THIS!

sally
            You want me to pull a sword out of a stone????

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
              Barrett? Barrett?!?! How 'bout somebody she's got chemistry with? Like that intense bundle of testosterone, Major Davis? (Even if AT seems to have the most sparkage with actors who are somewhat—and intriguingly—androgynous: J.R. Bourne, Sean Patrick Flannery, Garwin Sanford.) Besides, Colin Cunningham hasn't been on the show nearly enough of late. Loath as I am to encourage further shipping, if Sam/Davis is what it takes to head off Sam/Barrett at the pass, I'm all for it.
              Hehe, I didn't think she looked that bad with Barrett. I enjoyed Smoke and Mirrors and Ressurection ()...
              Sam/Davis? I don't think I can even recall them on screen together...

Having said that, I dont wanna see Sam and Barrett get together of course. But I would like to see them working together again (and they are! )

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Hehe, I didn't think she looked that bad with Barrett. I enjoyed Smoke and Mirrors and Ressurection ()...
                Sam/Davis? I don't think I can even recall them on screen together...

Having said that, I dont wanna see Sam and Barrett get together of course. But I would like to see them working together again (and they are! )
                Now obviously I'm biased as to whom I'd like to see her end up with permanently but as for Barrett, I really enjoy seeing the interaction between the two of them. I always get amused by the puppydog looks of the guys who have a crush on her...

Same with Narim, Orlin, Martouf..........yadda

ETC.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Astro requested more pics and stuff. So here is a team collage I did a while back. It was done pre-Samanda days so it's not dominated by Sam.

Click on the link below

Sam and the Guys

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Now obviously I'm biased as to whom I'd like to see her end up with permanently but as for Barrett, I really enjoy seeing the interaction between the two of them. I always get amused by the puppydog looks of the guys who have a crush on her...

Same with Narim, Orlin, Martouf..........yadda

ETC.

Haha, I lol'ed when he asked her out in Ressurection... The rejected look on his face was too funny, and couple that with Sam's embarressed look

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Not positive but I think he was showing a scar from a recent knee surgery.
                      My my my what a interesting work place Stargate must be... I'm not sure I've ever had a co-worker take down their pants in front of me before. But if I were in AT's place, I think I'd be sitting back with a big smile on my face as well.

Kat
                      from the look on amanda's face, she's totally used to rick just dropping his pants at the drop of a...aah, hat
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        AT may not really know too much about the show's 'new direction' at this point... and it's possible that she may not feel as strongly as she might have a few years ago about the show's direction... she's got a very different number one priority now - Olivia (and Alan)... it's possible that she'll just have fun with the show and be OK with what the writer's produce...it's fiction, fantasy and make-believe... her baby is real.

I certainly couldn't fault AT if she doesn't melt down if the show goes the way that many have suggested it might in terms of quality.

I, however, will be sad and disappointed if the character of Sam Carter isn't all that we know she can be. (Hmmm... sounds like there's a slogan in there somewhere...)
                        You've said it well Keeper. As much as we all adore our Queen, the role of Sam Carter may have to change (less filming time, less energy, possibly less enthusiasm for what she has been doing for the past eight years, more hearth and home with Alan and Olivia, more development in other professional areas which may be easier to accomplish around a baby: writing for example and producing).

Of course, we can't speak for AT but her voice has been silent for some time now and that leads me to believe that she, herself, is beginning a period of transition. I think, like any new mother, she is finding a whole new world in the eyes of her child and the change in daily routine. Then, as much as we think she's superwoman, she has to be boggled and a bit anxious about how she will juggle all the many new demands on her time and energy: motherhood; returning to set; memorizing lines; in early for prep and makeup; filming all day; babysitters; bonding time with baby; exercise and fitness; time with husband and family off set, etc.

It is quite possible that all the things and annoyances that the fans are fixating on and raving about are not even on Amanda's event horizon at the moment. She is a professional and will honor her contract, I'm sure. What we know of her seems to point to her not letting the fans down for S9. However, if the writers and TPTB let Amanda down by producing shoddy material and arcs, then that's another issue.

It would be great to have our Sam redeemed and shown in the best possible light in S9. And, if AT then decides to leave, the character dies a graceful death (figuratively, not literally I hope). She will be remembered as one of the most solidly portrayed scifi women in the genre.

As a veteran actress on this series, Amanda deserves that kind of respect. Let's just hope she gets it!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          You've said it well Keeper. As much as we all adore our Queen, the role of Sam Carter may have to change (less filming time, less energy, possibly less enthusiasm for what she has been doing for the past eight years, more hearth and home with Alan and Olivia, more development in other professional areas which may be easier to accomplish around a baby: writing for example and producing).

Of course, we can't speak for AT but her voice has been silent for some time now and that leads me to believe that she, herself, is beginning a period of transition. I think, like any new mother, she is finding a whole new world in the eyes of her child and the change in daily routine. Then, as much as we think she's superwoman, she has to be boggled and a bit anxious about how she will juggle all the many new demands on her time and energy: motherhood; returning to set; memorizing lines; in early for prep and makeup; filming all day; babysitters; bonding time with baby; exercise and fitness; time with husband and family off set, etc.

It is quite possible that all the things and annoyances that the fans are fixating on and raving about are not even on Amanda's event horizon at the moment. She is a professional and will honor her contract, I'm sure. What we know of her seems to point to her not letting the fans down for S9. However, if the writers and TPTB let Amanda down by producing shoddy material and arcs, then that's another issue.

It would be great to have our Sam redeemed and shown in the best possible light in S9. And, if AT then decides to leave, the character dies a graceful death (figuratively, not literally I hope). She will be remembered as one of the most solidly portrayed scifi women in the genre.

As a veteran actress on this series, Amanda deserves that kind of respect. Let's just hope she gets it!
                          hear, hear.

I agree.

I do think that tptb have let sam's character down, and it's possible it's because she's a good actor and just does her job. We all know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. if amanda's not squeaking, then they deal with what issues they have to deal with and, probably, consider themselves lucky that she's such a professional that they don't have to worry about it.

for me, sam is why i watch the show. She used to be one of the reasons, but the overall quality of the show has become so iffy, that her character adn her performances are about the only consistent thing in there.

however, should amanda decide to leave, well it'll suck but i respect her decision 100000%. the job is temporary, life and family is forever and far more important

I will watch my dvd's and read my fic and remember fondly one of the best female characters ever.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Our Royal Editor (Coley) has published an article in Oh Yea Times telling us of the rampant epidemic that seems to be affecting the local citizenry: the dreaded SDS - Stargate Deprivation Syndrome. In order to add to the remedy (plenty of sunshine, laughter, and positive thinking), let me share some quotations on the subject of stress and anxiety:

"The chief cause of stress is reality." Lily Tomlin

"I read this article. It said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, smoking too much, impulse buying and driving too fast. Are they kidding? This is my idea of a great day!" Monica Piper

"Stress - that confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the living $@#!& out of some idiot who desperately needs it." Office Sign

"Nothing erases unpleasant thoughts more effectively than conscious concentration on pleasant ones." Hans Selye

"If you can't help it, don't think about it." Carmel Myers

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its joy." Anonymous

"Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow." Swedish Saying

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it falls due." Dean Inge

"You'll have a better day if you think about where you're going than what's stuck to the bottom of your shoes." Tammy Hansen Gilbert

"There are two days about which nobody should ever worry, and these are yesterday and tomorrow." Robert J. Burdette

And, my favorites, the words of two elder statesmen:

When I look back on all the worries
                            I remember the story of the old man
                            who said on his deathbed
                            that he had a lot of trouble in his life,
                            most of which never happened.

Winston Churchill

What we anticipate seldom occurs;
                            what we least expected generally happens.

Benjamin Disraeli

Yeah, a bit pollyannish, perhaps, but there's been so much downward energy in Samanda lately that I think we need an infusion of positive spirits ... speaking of which, I think I'll wander over to the Royal Liquor Cabinet and see if there's any sloe gin available.

Then I'll reread the back issues of Oh Yea Times ....

Peace and here's to the "least expected" for S9!
                            Last edited by ChopinGal; 28 April 2005, 05:29 AM.

Comment

why? what did she say?
                              sally
                              This is only one instance where I have read AT make comments about Entity, but it's the only one I can find at the moment...

Excerpt from Illustrated Companion 3-4:

Given her naturally bubbly nature, portraying a still, bed-ridden Carter was a major challenge for Amanda Tapping: "It was a really difficult episode for all sorts of reasons. First off it was so not Carter. This woman was so still and so angry and so dark. Considering I spent most of the time in bed, I was exhausted at the end of the episode. I had to book myself into a spa for a month to recover," she jokes.

"I also found it quite hard to buy into the story, and these are the times when as an actor you just have to acquiesce to your character and say, 'OK. I'll just have to become Carter 110 percent and react to this situation as she would without analysing it as Amanda.' You just have to relax and give everything over to your character. The beauty of it is having htis great challenge of playing a very different Carter. All I did was lie in bed twitching, or else I sat and stared at people the whole episode. It was terribly difficult." She winks, "You have no idea."

I'll look to see if I can find the other comments I've heard her make later.
                              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                This is only one instance where I have read AT make comments about Entity, but it's the only one I can find at the moment...

Excerpt from Illustrated Companion 3-4:

Given her naturally bubbly nature, portraying a still, bed-ridden Carter was a major challenge for Amanda Tapping: "It was a really difficult episode for all sorts of reasons. First off it was so not Carter. This woman was so still and so angry and so dark. Considering I spent most of the time in bed, I was exhausted at the end of the episode. I had to book myself into a spa for a month to recover," she jokes.

"I also found it quite hard to buy into the story, and these are the times when as an actor you just have to acquiesce to your character and say, 'OK. I'll just have to become Carter 110 percent and react to this situation as she would without analysing it as Amanda.' You just have to relax and give everything over to your character. The beauty of it is having htis great challenge of playing a very different Carter. All I did was lie in bed twitching, or else I sat and stared at people the whole episode. It was terribly difficult." She winks, "You have no idea."

I'll look to see if I can find the other comments I've heard her make later.
                                Kat

I watched this one again last night and i thought Amanda played this "Entity" really well
                                because i was seeing just this cold threatning being then when it said it had memory of you it
                                was then that i saw just briefly Sam as Jack looked on.
                                I love it when Amanda has to act without words because she can get so much across to the viewer with her eyes and just look at her mouth
                                and how tightly she held it to get across the feelings of tightly restrained anger and arogance.
                                The only part that did make me feel really sorry for her was when Janet fix her up to the machine so she could down load Sam back into her body,all that shakeing and jerking around must have been laughable for her to do, just look at the mens faces, lol. looked to me they were about to fall about laughing!
                                ......TARA......

Comment

Working...
                                X