No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a question for you...From Matter of Time.

Why wasn't Sam concerned about the increased power being fed into the Stargate?

I mean if she was upset by the power build up from Anubis in Redemption, surely the buildup of power from a Black Hole would be substantially worse?

Also, her solution...as brilliant as it was...how did she know to which Stargate in the network the Black Hole redirected? She just said it would re-direct the wormhole to "some other gate." She couldn't control where it went...what if it redirected to an occupied world?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      i did a story once (in my head) where an alternate janet came through the mirror. sam was so happy to see her, even though she knew she wasn't 'her' janet. but sam felt this was a chance to say goodbye to janet properly, and what ruined it for her was that this janet was different. not bad, not evil, just not the best friend that she wanted to say goodbye too. this janet wasn't best friends with sam, and hadn't taken in cassie. and when sam suggested alt janet meeting cassie (so cass could say goodbye too), janet didn't want to. all in all, it was a very bitter/sweet experience for sam, because she really didn't get the chance to say goodbye to her best friend, even if it was through an alternate.

(this idea could be used to bring back teryl/janet, without lessening the heroes storyline to me)

sally
      I confess... I really would love to see Teryl come back in some capacity.

I loved her friendship with Sam and all around interaction with the rest of the team.

And this is SciFi after all. If Daniel can die right before our eyes and be gone for a full season, surely they can do something here....

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
        Great post about Gemini Strix! Glad you kept trying and were successful on the 4th post attempt. I agree 100% with your comments about Sam and RC – well stated. And poor Fifth, poof and he’s gone....
        Yeah, GW's been having some hiccups today...(and yesterday too, btw...and the day before...but I'm not complaining)

People need to really think about what makes Sam who she is...if she were less of an empathetic and caring person, she wouldn't nearly be as interesting to to watch and easy to latch onto as a favorite.

We need that balance in the show, where Jack and Teal'c opt first for military action and Daniel and Sam do their best to remind them of their humanity and the importance of making that effort to see the other side's point of view...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          This is very good news! For those who don't recognize her name, Thomasina is a British journalist/writer who has written all volumes of Stargate SG1 Illustrated Companions. She writes quite well and even got to appear in one of the later episodes (Full Circle I believe) with her young son.

I could see AT hosting her during a Vancouver stay ... lucky Thomasina will get to see AT in her newest, and most important, role: momma to Olivia! Really hope that we get to share some of that experience soon in a magazine article or final copy of the next Illustrated Companion due out in July. It would be the icing on the cake!

Cake?! Did someone say cake?
          I have never heard of this journalist so I hope she does our queen justice.

Do you think there's a chance we'll actually get to see a picture of the new princess?

I've been dying to see what Olivia looks like...

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            That's it! I've been trying to figure out why the sleeveless T thing bothers me so much, but I couldn't put my finger on it...
            I'm not a huge fan of the sleeveless T's but they are really tame compared to the number Vala's wearing in Avalon...

Please, Amanda, PLEASE don't ever let them degrade your character and force you to wear something so obviously beneath you...

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
              I agree 100%. Last summer before S8, when I was excited about spoilers of Carter's promotion and leadership of SG-1 ( ) and upset about Janet's death and the treatment of her death in Heroes and subsequent episodes of nonmention!! ( ), I wrote "Nephilim" to show Sam in command and dealing with Cassie/Janet. Interested parties may read it here:
              http://66.34.102.61/list.asp
              Scroll midway down the page to find it.

Also agree. Geeky Sam in Moebius or Replicarter Sam in Reckoning were great acting performances for AT in S8. Sad to say, but IMO the PTB wrote better stuff for these alternate Sams than they did for our real Sam. But apparently for the Leos, producers submit episodes for the categories so they didn't pick AT's best acting perfomances, again IMO.

hrh
              I just don't get how AT was snubbed like this.

She had some STELLAR performances in Season 8, with the whole comedy routine in Moebius to the serious moments of losing her father to the "taken over by Anubis" scenes in Lockdown to the Replicarter/Sam face-off: Round One. And I didn't even mention her scenes opposite Fifth!

How on earth did they overlook such a brilliant actress?

Comment

Am I the only one posting today???

Here are some great Sam pics from New Order:

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  As a Sam fan and as a Jack/Sam shipper, right now I've got an empty spot in my heart...

Seeing those pictures from Avalon and the painful absence of Sam.

I mean, intellectually, I know she's not going to be there. But here they are, moving the show into a whole new direction and their most important cast member is no where in sight...

She's off somewhere doing something...hopefully something really cool and important...

But as neat as it'll be to see Jack and watch him say goodbye to the gang (hopefully he'll come around often), it's going to be tough watching the first few eps without Sam around.
                  Painful absence, that it is.

And the following quote from MS about PU doesn’t brighten the day either.

He’s taking about the new season and new cast members.

"I wouldn't have signed up for it if it wasn't exciting," Shanks said. "The idea of just flogging the dead horse ...

and…

"I understood that we were talking to Claudia about reinvigorating her character, and I thought they were going to go in that direction," Shanks said. "I hope we get the chance to reprise the dynamic we found in 'Prometheus Unbound,' which was my favorite episode of the last couple of years. We had such a good time working with each other ... And when I watched it, I actually found myself laughing out loud!".

The full article is at

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...inventsi.shtml

I think I’m in such a funk about how S9 seems to be evolving that I’m overreacting. Things are going to be ok, things are going to be ok....

Comment

Another great Season 8 Sam pic...this one's from Sacrifices. Great AT smile:

Comment

"I wouldn't have signed up for it if it wasn't exciting," Shanks said. "The idea of just flogging the dead horse ...

and…

"I understood that we were talking to Claudia about reinvigorating her character, and I thought they were going to go in that direction," Shanks said. "I hope we get the chance to reprise the dynamic we found in 'Prometheus Unbound,' which was my favorite episode of the last couple of years. We had such a good time working with each other ... And when I watched it, I actually found myself laughing out loud!".

The full article is at

I think I’m in such a funk about how S9 seems to be evolving that I’m overreacting. Things are going to be ok, things are going to be ok....
                      It's not that I didn't like Prometheus Unbound, because I did. Even though it was Sam-empty, I thought it was fun.

Plus it was great to see Hammond in action.

I enjoyed the Vala/Daniel interactions...and liked the fact that we still don't know what makes her tick.

But I don't necessarily want that to be the new focus of the series...especially because it was SAM-EMPTY.

ON EDIT: And to honor the fact that this is the first post of page 300 in Samanda, here's one of my favorite Sam pics...

Last edited by Uber; 27 April 2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I just don't get how AT was snubbed like this.

She had some STELLAR performances in Season 8, with the whole comedy routine in Moebius to the serious moments of losing her father to the "taken over by Anubis" scenes in Lockdown to the Replicarter/Sam face-off: Round One. And I didn't even mention her scenes opposite Fifth!

How on earth did they overlook such a brilliant actress?
                        Well, fortunately, AT is nominated for a Leo for her performance in Threads, and my guess is it is because of her scenes with Jacob. So they haven't overlooked her---it is just that there are a number of other episodes as well that they could have chosen such as New Order, Gemini, Reckoning, and Moebius. I don't think Threads was a bad choice for her, but it just depends on what they go after in terms of best scenes. To AT's amazing acting talents, there was alot to choose from in season eight!

Comment

and…

The full article is at

I feel the same way. When I read the article on GW with Shanks, for some reason my heart sank, and I can't exactly tell you why. I know Sam will be back, but there are so few spoilers right now, and so she feels left out.

Also, I can't disagree with MS more about Prometheus Unbound. I am one of the fans who actually really disliked this episode---I can't watch it again really. I know many here found parts of it really funny, but it is just not my sense of humor. And then to think that MS thought it was so great -- and talks about this in reference to the new season changes. It worries me a bit because I really like this show (Stargate SG-1 is the only show I watch), but I don't know if my strong like for the show will continue (at least in terms of the first six episodes).

Something is just rubbing me the wrong way with how hyped up everybody on the show seem to be (and about the chemistry between Daniel and Vala). It sounds almost as if they are all happy that RDA is gone, and now they are having so much more fun.... And how Sam/AT fit into this is new direction is just not clear at all.

Perhaps Binkpmmc and Skydiver are right----they are not letting us know at all where Sam is at the beginning so that alot of fans still watch. We know where Jack is going, but not Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            I feel the same way. When I read the article on GW with Shanks, for some reason my heart sank, and I can't exactly tell you why. I know Sam will be back, but there are so few spoilers right now, and so she feels left out.

Also, I can't disagree with MS more about Prometheus Unbound. I am one of the fans who actually really disliked this episode---I can't watch it again really. I know many here found parts of it really funny, but it is just not my sense of humor. And then to think that MS thought it was so great -- and talks about this in reference to the new season changes. It worries me a bit because I really like this show (Stargate SG-1 is the only show I watch), but I don't know if my strong like for the show will continue (at least in terms of the first six episodes).

Something is just rubbing me the wrong way with how hyped up everybody on the show seem to be (and about the chemistry between Daniel and Vala). It sounds almost as if they are all happy that RDA is gone, and now they are having so much more fun.... And how Sam/AT fit into this is new direction is just not clear at all.

Perhaps Binkpmmc and Skydiver are right----they are not letting us know at all where Sam is at the beginning so that alot of fans still watch. We know where Jack is going, but not Sam.
                            It's nice to see I'm not talking to myself... I got concerned when I saw NO ONE responding to the posts on the thread. I even started amusing myself by posting cool Sam pics for my own enjoyment...

I enjoyed seeing Claudia Black in such an un-Aeryn like character. I did laugh at the scenes between her and Daniel...because he just didn't know what to make of her...and it still isn't certain who or what she is (although I'm getting a glimpse of the spoilers for season 9 and am kinda groaning a little bit).

But the fact for me is, Sam is the heart of the show. That used to be true of Jack, but with RDA's lessened schedule, I really got to know Sam and fell in love with her character. She's fun, interesting, quirky, empathetic, snarky, super smart and weilds a mean P90. Plus she has a thing for Jack...which I can REALLY identify with.

So I'm going to force myself to watch the first few episodes of Season 9 so I'm not completely lost when Sam returns...but it'll be tough.

I think TPTB know how precarious of a position they are truly in...some of which is due to things outside of their control (RDA retiring, AT having a baby).

They know they REALLY have to deliver or the franchise itself is at risk...so I'm resting on this fact alone and believing that Sam's absence is due to something REALLY cool that we're all going to love - something that proves how incredibly invaluable she is to the SGC and to the series.

Comment

It's nice to see I'm not talking to myself... I got concerned when I saw NO ONE responding to the posts on the thread. I even started amusing myself by posting cool Sam pics for my own enjoyment...
                              Well I've had a busy day teaching today and I will not be on long because I have a rehearsal tonight but I did want to drop in and see what was going on

PU was my least favorite episode of S8 as well. If they have the character of Vala on screen with more than just Daniel I may enjoy her and the episodes more.

I don't think it's that anyone is happy that RDA is gone therefore they are having more fun. I think the issue is that the last couple of years have been really hard to film around RDA's schedule and with him leaving they are able to get back to a better shooting schedule because they are not having to work around when he will be on set.

With any successful show they are going to release a certain amount of information to get people interested in watching the beginning of the next season. You can not hide the fact that RDA was not going to come back full-time so let out the information on what will happen to the character of Jack has been an okay thing to do. But we know that AT has signed on for most of the season - it builds suspense in AT/Carter fans to keep it a secret at least for a while what has happened to Carter at the beginning of the season.

YES I do hope that what ever Carter is off doing is true to the character and really cool - but only time will tell
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Ok.....let me put my media relations thinking cap on. Remember that the idea is to always show your best face, and hype to build interest. The worst movies often have the best trailers. They do well the first weekend; then, word of mouth and actual viewer reaction shoot them down.

So.....if I were running scared because I lost my male lead and my female lead was going to miss the first six episodes of the new season, I would:

1. Try to shore up the cast with favorite actors from the same genre;
                                2. Pander to the easiest-to-retain demographic (18-25-year-old males) by selling with sex;
                                3. Talk at every opportunity I could about how great the new season was going to be and
                                4. Keep the dedicated fan base guessing about the fate of the beloved (and missing) characters.

By golly, that's some media plan! I could make that work!!! I think that's what they're doing!

Comment

Working...
                                X